Author Topic: Lee Peltier - released and joins MIddlesbrough  (Read 18061 times)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

Re: Lee Peltier Sign Official
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2020, 12:43:31 PM »
This is crazy...
- no ambition by the player
- no ambition from the club
- tieing up wages on a player than didn't get in the squad for us last year

Bit harsh to say no ambition from the player. At this stage for a player like Peltier his ambition will be securing his financial future, which he’s possibly done.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: Re: The one big thread for unconfirmed rumours & tat
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2020, 12:48:40 PM »
Unless he's turned into Roberto Carlos over the pre season then I can't see him playing. He couldn't get near our bench last season. He's 33 and only played 1 season in the Prem. My point was money aside why would anyone be happy to play a handful of games at most as opposed to regular starts elsewhere.

Last year O'Shea was often picked ahead of Furlong as the defensive FB, but its a big ask of the young man to make that step up to the PL and take it all in his stride.   If O'Shea loses form or struggles, and Billic doesn't want to an attacking fullback like Furlong then Peltier would step in.  All conjecture i know, but i would hope this was part of the discussion in negotiating the contract   

You might be right of course. We've taken an easy option signing him as an insurance policy hoping we don't have to claim and he's took another year of money for playing in the under 23's! 

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2020, 01:05:18 PM »
This is crazy...
- no ambition by the player
- no ambition from the club
- tieing up wages on a player than didn't get in the squad for us last year

I think this is a fair summary, apart from the player bit.

He obviously still thinks he can get game time in the Premier League.

We could have gone abroad and got a better player for the same outlay. This is just a waste of time for all concerned.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

Re: Re: The one big thread for unconfirmed rumours & tat
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2020, 01:25:11 PM »
Last year O'Shea was often picked ahead of Furlong as the defensive FB, but its a big ask of the young man to make that step up to the PL and take it all in his stride.   If O'Shea loses form or struggles, and Billic doesn't want to an attacking fullback like Furlong then Peltier would step in.  All conjecture i know, but i would hope this was part of the discussion in negotiating the contract   

You might be right of course. We've taken an easy option signing him as an insurance policy hoping we don't have to claim and he's took another year of money for playing in the under 23's!

I wonder if we see O'Shea as a CB long term? Early days still but I think he has a real bright future and will make the step up.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2020, 01:30:04 PM »
I think this is a fair summary, apart from the player bit.

He obviously still thinks he can get game time in the Premier League.

We could have gone abroad and got a better player for the same outlay. This is just a waste of time for all concerned.

what is the outlay, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere? I know there's obviously no fee but I don't know what his wages are? 

Not sure we could have got a better player from abroad on what it's costing us in wages.

I'm sure if between now and the end of the window we sell Gibbs then we will use the money that gives us to look for a better option at left back.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2020, 01:31:12 PM »
Not sure why we're bothering

We have four full-backs and with the addition of Ivanovic, it will be 5 centre backs.

Seems a bit of an over load..

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2020, 01:32:58 PM »
Not sure why we're bothering

We have four full-backs and with the addition of Ivanovic, it will be 5 centre backs.

Seems a bit of an over load..

Maybe we've had or are expecting some enquiries for Bartley, Hegazi, Gibbs or Townsend?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2020, 02:29:17 PM »
I don't particularly mind. Was Cardiff's best player foe the first half of last season. He is a better version of Mears. Knew when he played pre season he would be staying.
Boing Boing

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2020, 02:42:02 PM »
I honestly wonder if we've ever had a player and not 1 fan has had their name on back of shirt.

Surely he has to be a contender ;D
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2020, 03:32:34 PM »
I'm really starting to despair, Ivanovic / Deeney and now this ?!?

I really thought the club had got past this rubbish, but no, SOOO depressing !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2020, 03:46:12 PM »
I am assuming this is because we cant offload Gibbs who is likely to get injured at any time and Townsend is also currently sidelined with an ankle injury. Peltier signed as extra cover as GIbbs almost certainly not moving on this window as we've received no interest in him.

Whilst its underwhelming it sort of makes some sense and its inexpensive.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2020, 03:55:57 PM »
Why do we release players to avoid a month or two of paying them, then resign them?

Cannot believe how shortsighted we are. Gibbs will be injured and Townsend is not good enough so we should have moved one of them on get a proper LB rather than this.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »
what is the outlay, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere? I know there's obviously no fee but I don't know what his wages are? 

Not sure we could have got a better player from abroad on what it's costing us in wages.

I'm sure if between now and the end of the window we sell Gibbs then we will use the money that gives us to look for a better option at left back.

Given what even basic wages are in the Premier League, I doubt it would have been too difficult to scout somebody from abroad to come in and do a job for us. Certainly somebody who can contribute more than Peltier anyway.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2020, 05:11:30 PM »
Why do we release players to avoid a month or two of paying them, then resign them?

Cannot believe how shortsighted we are. Gibbs will be injured and Townsend is not good enough so we should have moved one of them on get a proper LB rather than this.

We cant that's the problem. It was made public we wanted to move Gibbs on but no-one has come in for him. Unless Gibbs was willing to go to Japan or somewhere what can you do?

Townsend is injured, you wont shift an injured player like Townsend, not that we want to anyway because he is younger and generally his fitness record is good.

We have other priorities now rather than left back so Peltier is ideal just in case. I doubt he'll even make the bench at any stage.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2020, 06:00:13 PM »

We cant that's the problem. It was made public we wanted to move Gibbs on but no-one has come in for him. Unless Gibbs was willing to go to Japan or somewhere what can you do?

Townsend is injured, you wont shift an injured player like Townsend, not that we want to anyway because he is younger and generally his fitness record is good.

We have other priorities now rather than left back so Peltier is ideal just in case. I doubt he'll even make the bench at any stage.

The last sentence is the problem !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2020, 02:54:52 PM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/player/38

New photoshoot.
Means he is staying officially?
The PRIDE of midlands

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2020, 03:21:50 PM »
I'm really starting to despair, Ivanovic / Deeney and now this ?!?

I really thought the club had got past this rubbish, but no, SOOO depressing !

I thought we had this great masterplan and doing pretty well in our recruiting but yes to all you have said. I don't understand any of those decisions.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2020, 03:32:10 PM »
I thought we had this great masterplan and doing pretty well in our recruiting but yes to all you have said. I don't understand any of those decisions.
Perhaps we have got a dingle or vile fan in the board room.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2020, 04:20:31 PM »
https://www.wba.co.uk/player/38

New photoshoot.
Means he is staying officially?

It was officially announced days ago

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2021, 05:52:02 PM »
Can’t be any worse than Furlong.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2021, 05:55:04 PM »
Peltier was pretty abysmal when he played for us if i recall correctly.

More money wasted.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2021, 05:55:55 PM »
Can’t be any worse than Furlong.

Depends how we set up. I don't like us playing with a five and wing-backs - we always look all over the place. I'd rather we stuck to a back four. In which case I think O'Shea is a better choice at right back playing reasonable narrow. He certainly would have defended the back post for the Fulham equaliser.  Allardyce has had enough time now to work out what his best side and system and he is making too many mistakes for my liking. Obviously the team isn't good enough either.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2021, 06:00:05 PM »
Depends how we set up. I don't like us playing with a five and wing-backs - we always look all over the place. I'd rather we stuck to a back four. In which case I think O'Shea is a better choice at right back playing reasonable narrow. He certainly would have defended the back post for the Fulham equaliser.  Allardyce has had enough time now to work out what his best side and system and he is making too many mistakes for my liking. Obviously the team isn't good enough either.

Has he? Because he who should not be named as he's "in the past" didn't know either his best team or system after 18 months.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2021, 06:01:31 PM »
Peltier was pretty abysmal when he played for us if i recall correctly.

More money wasted.
Yep, not the answer. although, Furlong is that bad at the minute he may get a chance. I'd rather Oshea there though, need to stick with Bartley and Ajayi in the middle

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2021, 06:03:20 PM »
Yep, not the answer. although, Furlong is that bad at the minute he may get a chance. I'd rather Oshea there though, need to stick with Bartley and Ajayi in the middle

Yep, we need to just be solid at the back. O'Shea at RB, not Furlong. 4 defenders on the pitch, not 5. We havent got enough good defenders for 4 so 5 defenders is a total waste of a player and an extra liability on the pitch for us.