Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 235008 times)

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #400 on: February 15, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »
Trouble is, football is a free flowing game, infringements are always open to individual interpretation and opinions. It's not like cricket where a video umpire can check LBW decisions, the ball is either going to hit the stumps or it's not, or in tennis with Hawk Eye where it quite clearly shows the ball is either in or out. There are no grey areas in those instances, it's simple and effective. In those instances in other sports the ball has already gone dead so there is no unnecessary hold up. VAR has proved that no matter how many times incidents are reviewed in ultra slow motion, people still don't agree, it's still down to how one person sees it and interprets it. That's just how it is with football, it's what makes the game so fascinating, entertaining and interesting. All this trial by television, VAR, retrospective bans, etc will drive traditional supporters away
from the game in their droves. Let the referees and linesmen officiate and just accept that in football that is how it is. Moving with the times just for the sake of it and because everyone else is doing it doesn't always mean it's for the best. If a player dives then so be it, it's up to the referee to spot it and punish accordingly.
Sorry about the previous blanks I am trying to balance the wife’s iPad on my knee in a moving vehicle, and no I am not driving. Anyway just wanted to say what a sane and accurate post this is and has had the effect of calming my anger somewhat. However I would further comment that  this latest action by the (sweet) FA simply mirrors the lack of consistency among officials generally, and it is this punishing an offence by one team and allowing the same offence to go unpunished when committed by their opponents. As many on here have already suggested if that dive had been done by Salah, Vardy, any Tottenham player etc. With the same resulting penalty scored to gain a point, would there have been such media stirring aka mr goodman, and would the FA have taken action? Based on previous experience I sincerely believe it would not.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #401 on: February 15, 2019, 03:24:57 PM »
As i see the law / rule (and i may or read it wrong) it just makes no sense.

For example, say your winning 1-0, the game is end to end, chances for both sides. A player then dives winning a penalty for the team that is winning 1-0, they score it and make it 2-0 which pretty much puts the game out of reach, they then go on to win 5-0 pretty comfortable, am i right in thinking the dive to win the penalty for the 2nd goal would not be punished because the scoreline wasnt directly affected by the dive / penalty? Ie - it needs to be a goal that influences the result, ie - winning goal or equaliser?

Same applies if losing 1-0, player dives for team that is losing, wins penalty, its scored, makes it 1-1, then the team who scored it go on to win 5-1, again that wouldnt be punished would it? Despite the dive / penalty having a massive impact on the game and being a turning point.

Apologies if i have got the law wrong and sound thick! If that isnt the law and it isnt match deciding then the likes of Salah, Kane, etc are going to be punished weekly!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 03:26:33 PM by Albion79 »

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #402 on: February 15, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »
As i see the law / rule (and i may or read it wrong) it just makes no sense.

For example, say your winning 1-0, the game is end to end, chances for both sides. A player then dives winning a penalty for the team that is winning 1-0, they score it and make it 2-0 which pretty much puts the game out of reach, they then go on to win 5-0 pretty comfortable, am i right in thinking the dive to win the penalty for the 2nd goal would not be punished because the scoreline wasnt directly affected by the dive / penalty? Ie - it needs to be a goal that influences the result, ie - winning goal or equaliser?

Same applies if losing 1-0, player dives for team that is losing, wins penalty, its scored, makes it 1-1, then the team who scored it go on to win 5-1, again that wouldnt be punished would it? Despite the dive / penalty having a massive impact on the game and being a turning point.

Apologies if i have got the law wrong and sound thick! If that isnt the law and it isnt match deciding then the likes of Salah, Kane, etc are going to be punished weekly!

The rule is:

If as a result of the deception, the ref awards a penalty or a player gets sent off, the player carrying out the deception is likely to be charged & a possible 2 game ban.

What I'm not sure about is what triggers the restrospective enquiry. It could be a complaint from the opposition club. In DG's case didn't O'Neil complain.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #403 on: February 22, 2019, 08:17:53 PM »
Let’s see if the West Ham player receives a two game ban
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #404 on: February 23, 2019, 12:18:24 AM »
Lee Mason the referee again! I think he needs a two game ban!
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #405 on: February 23, 2019, 12:38:38 AM »
Im not sure he can under the rules as they stand. The rules about deception are to be used where a penalty is awarded after a dive hadn’t been spotted or if by feigning injury you get another player sent off. Nothing in there yet about duping the officials by scoring with a blatant handball.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #406 on: February 23, 2019, 12:44:32 AM »
Kemar Roofe definitely should have served a ban if deception by handball was in the rule. Alas it doesn't seem too count.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #407 on: February 23, 2019, 03:33:49 AM »
Kemar Roofe definitely should have served a ban if deception by handball was in the rule. Alas it doesn't seem too count.
And our very own Jay?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #408 on: March 01, 2019, 09:31:16 PM »
Gayle playing out wide isn’t the modern way of thinking - as some members may think

It’s ******* rubbish

A complete waste of time
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #409 on: March 01, 2019, 09:35:50 PM »
I just think recently his general play is awful.  I think his confidence is shot. You can hardly make a case for saying he deserves to start.  When did he last score from open play?  He doesn't link with the midfield either.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #410 on: March 01, 2019, 09:41:38 PM »
Gayle playing out wide isn’t the modern way of thinking - as some members may think

It’s ******* rubbish

A complete waste of time

Amen.

Talk about shooting ourselves in the foot.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #411 on: March 01, 2019, 09:43:43 PM »
"Oh we have a proven goal scorer, stick him on the wing"

It's like putting a clumsy CB and LB or ignoring all the answers that are on the bench.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #412 on: March 01, 2019, 09:49:58 PM »
I just think recently his general play is awful.  I think his confidence is shot. You can hardly make a case for saying he deserves to start.  When did he last score from open play?  He doesn't link with the midfield either.

His general play isn't great that's why he doesn't have any top level success.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #413 on: March 01, 2019, 09:51:09 PM »
Since being shifted out to the wing he's become insignificant and irrelevant.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #414 on: March 01, 2019, 09:52:41 PM »
He's a poacher that thrives on the shoulder of the last man. We might as well send him back to Newcastle if we're just going to stick him on the wing.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #415 on: March 01, 2019, 09:53:35 PM »
Totally wasted out wide left.has mooro got blinkers on?

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #416 on: March 01, 2019, 09:56:31 PM »
We’ve utterly wasted him this season and he’s still got 16 goals.

Clueless.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #417 on: March 01, 2019, 10:00:42 PM »

His general play isn't great that's why he doesn't have any top level success.

But the modern way of thinking is to play your best centre forward on the wing - despite his lack of general ability

Apparently

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #418 on: March 01, 2019, 10:08:44 PM »
I haven’t been this annoyed since England decided Shearer should be pushed out wide yonks ago. I’m seriously p*ssed off now.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #419 on: March 01, 2019, 10:16:37 PM »
Gayle was fine out on the left when we had Barnes as the front 3 used to swap and change, it worked, they all scored goals.

However without Barnes we look lost and Gayle now seems permanently stuck on the wing and he is wasted, they have to find a way of pairing him with Jrod down the middle, like the start of the season because as a combination of (a) teams have now sussed us and (b) losing Barnes and movement / interchange means we now carrying him.

You can tell his confidence is shot, he looks frustrated, most of the team look that way which suggests whatever we are trying to do, isnt working.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #420 on: March 02, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
I haven’t been this annoyed since England decided Shearer should be pushed out wide yonks ago. I’m seriously p*ssed off now.

I’m with you. He had to play in the middle and we have to build the team around him. Utter madness to play him on the left. Gross incompetence.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #421 on: March 10, 2019, 07:39:11 PM »
Wherever he has played the last 3 games he has looked a shadow of the player he was before the ban and what followed with the media circus and the social media abuse I am certain he got and has probably effected him imo along with the booing of the sheff utd and Leeds fans, must  come as big shock to someone who used to being cheered after banging them in.

He needs to put it past him and move on quickly, as he is our (well technically Newcastle's) only true finisher.

It was shocking and easy to make an example of him like they made with niasse too when it has happened loads with players who are more high profile like Kane and nothing happens to him because the fa need him for their latest campaign photoshoot.

Imo what Gayle did was no different to what lacazzette did today against Man Utd, but I bet nothing happens to him because this season's one and only cheat (yeah, right) scapegoat has been identified and punished and the fa have done, in their eyes anyway, their duty to maintain the old corinthian spirit of game.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #422 on: March 16, 2019, 03:52:13 PM »
Anybody still want him over Rondon?

Only one winner for me I’m afraid.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #423 on: March 16, 2019, 04:00:00 PM »
Anybody still want him over Rondon?

Only one winner for me I’m afraid.

Yep

Rondon still not prolific enough for me

10 goals for Newcastle that’s half the amount of goals a top striker would have

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #424 on: March 16, 2019, 04:02:53 PM »
Yep

Rondon still not prolific enough for me

10 goals for Newcastle that’s half the amount of goals a top striker would have

Haha Benitez is almost as negative as TP. Great return so far from Sal.