Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 236873 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #250 on: December 10, 2018, 03:57:57 PM »
He's scored a goal every 113 minutes this season. It's criminal every time he doesn't start when fit.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #251 on: December 10, 2018, 04:35:58 PM »
He's scored a goal every 113 minutes this season. It's criminal every time he doesn't start when fit.

I have to admit that I was happy to have Gayle on the bench for three main reasons. 

a) Loyalty to a winning side in a formation that suits Barnes/JRod/HRK
b) Keeps him fresh and hungry
c) The thought of a double sub of Gayle and Sakho coming on second half was one to strike fear.

However, I don't think anybody could have anticipated just how poor JRod's finishing was going to be - he had shown glimpses in other games but Brentford was something else, and only matched in my experience this season by a certain Tammy Abraham  ;D   So yes, Gayle must start as he and Barnes are our only guarantee of goals. 

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #252 on: December 10, 2018, 11:35:58 PM »
Missed a header against Villa  ;) . In fairness though his conversion rate is better than Jay Rod's by some distance. Somebody posted a link to our conversion rates the other week (can't remember if it was on here or on Unofficial) but I can't find it now. I'll have a look and post it if/when I do.
;D Give him a break he is only 5 foot tall and not expected to jump six feet for a difficult ball.LOL. ;D

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #253 on: December 11, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »
Missed a header against Villa  ;) . In fairness though his conversion rate is better than Jay Rod's by some distance. Somebody posted a link to our conversion rates the other week (can't remember if it was on here or on Unofficial) but I can't find it now. I'll have a look and post it if/when I do.

Found it.

Ten goals from 26 chances as opposed to ten goals form 46 chances for the Hand of Rod (cheers Jay and SOTV 8) ).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-bromwich-albion/top-scorers
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #254 on: December 30, 2018, 12:46:50 PM »
Anybody with any inside news regarding his injury? Haven't seen anything official confirming the extent of it.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #255 on: December 30, 2018, 06:58:34 PM »
We would be mad to rush him back for Blackburn/Wigan
And he'd only be on the bench vs narwich

We should get Defoe in on loan till end of season, be amazing for us
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #256 on: December 30, 2018, 10:57:07 PM »
We would be mad to rush him back for Blackburn/Wigan
And he'd only be on the bench vs narwich

We should get Defoe in on loan till end of season, be amazing for us
not another 30 plus player who will be sitting on bench or god for bid take Gayles place. Moore needs to get in player's that he hasn't played against or with ffs.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #257 on: December 30, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »
not another 30 plus player who will be sitting on bench or god for bid take Gayles place. Moore needs to get in player's that he hasn't played against or with ffs.
Where as Moore said he wants Defoe?

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #258 on: December 31, 2018, 08:09:24 AM »

Don’t understand the last comment.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #259 on: February 13, 2019, 12:28:54 AM »
No one going to mention the embarrassing dive?

Think we also need a better way to fit him in the team than shunting him out wide. Not only does it not benefit him, but we lose any width on the left hand side too. Every time we went forward tonight it was down the right.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2019, 12:35:56 AM »

Think we also need a better way to fit him in the team than shunting him out wide. Not only does it not benefit him, but we lose any width on the left hand side too. Every time we went forward tonight it was down the right.

Thought it was a penalty at the time, having seen it back, very poor and I hope it doesn't result in a ban
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #261 on: February 13, 2019, 12:58:09 AM »
Thought it was a penalty at the time, having seen it back, very poor and I hope it doesn't result in a ban
biased Dingle Don is the only person calling for ban, O'Neil happy with refs assessment

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2019, 12:59:32 AM »
Why would he get banned? Have I missed a rule change regards retrospective bans for simulation?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #263 on: February 13, 2019, 06:59:50 AM »

Ying and Yang.
Its happened to us enough times, lets move on.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #264 on: February 13, 2019, 07:44:51 AM »
Why would he get banned? Have I missed a rule change regards retrospective bans for simulation?

I thought that and had a look but cant see anything. While there was no contact he was blocked and if he had not dived there would of been contact so I doubt even if there was retrospective it is not clear cut.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #265 on: February 13, 2019, 09:09:16 AM »

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10968749/diving-bans-abba-penalties-more-substitutes-the-201718-efl-rules

Efl rules state you can be retro banned if found to have deceived the ref
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #266 on: February 13, 2019, 09:11:58 AM »
People seem to have forgotten the Niasse incident where he picked up a couple of games for successfully deceiving the referee. It is all about 'successful deception', if you dive and do not get the penalty, nothing can be done retrospectively, but Gayle could be if they so desired and wanted to make an example of him.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2019, 09:13:10 AM »
I thought that and had a look but cant see anything. While there was no contact he was blocked and if he had not dived there would of been contact so I doubt even if there was retrospective it is not clear cut.
having read your comments in the after match thread and now this one I really struggle to understand what game you watched, whether you just permanently have blue and white tinted glasses on I don’t know but that’s a clear dive, the defender stepping across him to shield the ball would not have been a foul.

The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »
Dunno, watched it a few times and while I would be annoyed if it was given against us it wouldn't surprise me.  Gayle got a toe on the ball and the defenders weren't shielding the ball they stepped across and there was nowhere to go.  If it had happened in the middle of the park it would have been a foul.  Wasn't much different to what Dawson did in the last minute except Dawson stepped backwards to block the player off rather than forwards.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2019, 09:19:48 AM »
It was a dive, but it was hardly like the Cazorla one with Steven Reid stood by him all those years ago at Arsenal, so I would be shocked if action was taken.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #270 on: February 13, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
Just watched it back a few more times, there's definitely an outstretched leg that Gayle would have made contact with but he has thrown himself over it.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #271 on: February 13, 2019, 09:39:02 AM »
Just watched it back a few more times, there's definitely an outstretched leg that Gayle would have made contact with but he has thrown himself over it.

Agree mate, blatant dive over the outstretched leg if he stayed on his feet it would of tripped him
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #272 on: February 13, 2019, 09:54:00 AM »
It was a dive and we would be livid if it had been against us and calling for a ban, I’m certain of it.

Interesting how people try and rationalise things when they go in our favour. We have been lucky penalties haven’t been given against us against forest and stoke.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #273 on: February 13, 2019, 10:08:50 AM »
from my vantage point in the Brummie road it looked like a clear pen, was only when I was on the way back to the car hearing/reading about it that it might have been dubious.

Have since seen the replay from diff angle and; as noted by some already; I'd have been livid if it was given against us.

That said, for me, it was Karma for the previous 89 mins where the ref seemed to give them every little free kick. Blatant red card for Grabban as well earlier on.

It's about time we started getting the rub of the green once in a while.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #274 on: February 13, 2019, 11:05:05 AM »
Contact initiated by number 29's sly clip of Dwight's little left toe rendering him unable to maintain his balance as he stepped over the other chaps attempted/averted block. Clear penalty created by a perfect storm of innocuous events  ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.