Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 236860 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2018, 09:48:17 PM »
looked good in 30 minutes last night, we could do worse than pairing him and Rodriguez up front considering the alternatives
Well, we don't have any alternatives do we, given that Robson-Kanu is out of position when played as a striker and Darren obviously has insufficient faith in Edwards at this point in time.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »
What a game this lad had today. Ran the channels, held the ball up and brought others into play. Drew fouls when under pressure, and has won 2 penalties today 3 in 3 games. (Helping JRods goal stats)

When he missed early on you could see his determination of character- glad he got his goal today, takes the monkey off his back. He should cause the large cumbersome boro defenders some issues next week.
O Albion we love you

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2018, 08:58:09 PM »
What a game this lad had today. Ran the channels, held the ball up and brought others into play. Drew fouls when under pressure, and has won 2 penalties today 3 in 3 games. (Helping JRods goal stats)

When he missed early on you could see his determination of character- glad he got his goal today, takes the monkey off his back. He should cause the large cumbersome boro defenders some issues next week.
.....and he won the ball back last week for J-Rods long range goal. Good thing is, without going overboard we have several threats, so the opposition can't focus on blocking out just one threat.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2018, 09:11:59 PM »
His hunger is impressive, he helps us press high up and chases down lost causes. I also really like his movement he makes clever runs and pulls defenders all over the place.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2018, 07:29:22 AM »
Works as hard as Rondón does so we’ve lost nothing in that aspect. Didn’t realise just how quick he was until yesterday.

Seems to be enjoying it also.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2018, 07:44:45 AM »
His off the ball movement is sensational. Does so much for the team without even having to ball.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2018, 02:19:58 PM »
Quicker, better movement and better finisher than Rondon, I would say we have got the better deal.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2018, 02:23:08 PM »
Quicker, better movement and better finisher than Rondon, I would say we have got the better deal.

Definitely. Don't know what Newcastle were thinking but who cares. At this level at least he's a constant threat. We definitely got the better deal.

If we'd had Gayle and Harvey Barnes no way would we have gone down last season.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2018, 02:38:05 PM »
Id say Gayle is a better player than Rondon. That's probably harsh on Rondon as it's only been a games so I'll reconsider later in the season.  At the moment though Gayle looks sharper and his running is superb.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2018, 03:11:59 PM »
Completely different players asked to do completely different jobs.

Gayle suits us more as a bigger fish in a littler pond but Rondon is probably more suited to club that’s a smaller fish in a big pond.

Like comparing chalk and cheese really. And I think both clubs have benefitted equal amounts l.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2018, 03:23:44 PM »
Completely different players asked to do completely different jobs.

Gayle suits us more as a bigger fish in a littler pond but Rondon is probably more suited to club that’s a smaller fish in a big pond.

Like comparing chalk and cheese really. And I think both clubs have benefitted equal amounts l.
Don't agree. Personally think Rondon is pooh. he's a trier and he works hard but he's simply not good enough. BoTtom half of the Championship striker.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
I was half expecting J-Rod to let him take the second penalty, impressive to win three penalties in two games. His movement on the shoulder and sharpness in the box is too much for most championship teams.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2018, 03:58:11 PM »
Gayle is much sharper than Rondon. Rondon always gave 100% but his problem was his anticipation was not great. His brain seemed to switch on a second too late meaning him just missing crosses, or having to snatch at a shot. Gayle looks like he can turn quicker and his finish yesterday showed good timing. I think we've got the better end off the deal.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2018, 04:26:52 PM »
He was a little casual on the first goal, he really should have tucked that one away, rather than Phillips following up.

But...

That is the only minor thing I could say he did wrong. He was a livewire, his movement was superb, and the way he drew fouls was interesting - he never really dived or feigned anything, more just got himself into a position where the QPR player couldn't do anything else. I didn't feel the second one was a penalty, as I don't think he could have kept the ball in play, but that isn't his fault at all.

Very impressed, but can we please stop judging everything he did against Rondon. It's like judging Robert Earnshaw against Geoff Horsfield.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »
No comparison with Rondon Gayle class movement chasing back work rate shouting and encouraging those around him, and finishing. Rondon none of the above.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2018, 05:48:21 PM »
As long we we can keep Gayle fit he's going to be massive for us this season. Delighted when we signed him and I think we've only seen bits of what he can do. Expecting a lot of goals when he gets on a run.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2018, 07:49:58 PM »
Thought he was electric, movement and fight was fantastic
Forget comparing them, imagine him with Rondon ..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2018, 07:53:03 PM »
If we get promoted and he's happy at the Albion, buy him.
He's a clever intelligent player,I like him just what we needed.
He could get 20 this season,mind you so could the other 3 forwards.

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »
I'm no way comparing Gayle and Rondon but throwing in a curve ball.
Who could be seen as a better judge? Big Dave or Benitez ?
After all we got Gayle, Fulham got Mitrovic - Newcastle got Rondon  so who is the best judge.
And they reckon Benitez is a world class manager. What does that make Big Dave then?

Just a thought.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
His movement on Saturday was excellent and his pace and threat of going in behind is something that really suits the style we tried to play and are attributes that we haven't had in recent years. I can however see why he isn't as effective at premier league level but I'm really pleased with him.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2018, 12:36:03 PM »
It's a good deal for all parties. Gayle has a seasons pedigree for scoring goals in the Championship yet is ineffective in the Premier League. Rondon is too good to play in the Championship. When we go up they will hopefully swap back.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2018, 02:17:24 PM »
I'd sell Rondon in a heartbeat. Vastly over-rated (by some) striker. I don't think he'll come back next season anyway.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »
Similar striker to Super Kev
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2018, 03:25:50 PM »
I was very doubtful about Gayle’s commitment and wanting to be here. Looks like I was wrong. He has so far only scored once but has been responsible for at least three, and his running and movement off the ball has been excellent. I repeat, and am very pleased to say I WAS WRONG about Mr Gayle long may he continue to impress.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »
Or keep Gayle and Rondon if we get up!