Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 234864 times)

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2018, 08:17:11 PM »
Forget 10 ,he's an out and out finisher
I don't know how it will play out then Liver?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2018, 08:20:46 PM »
Terrible deal if as reported we only getting 2 million. It makes no sense at all
.    Take your sunglasses off pal .Rondon didn't want to be here kissing the badge and all that c**p couldn't wait to get away. We'll never know if Rundon would have scored goals in the EFL but Gayles record speakers for itself .lf he scores 23 goals for us at this level like he did for NUFC then we'll get promoted.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »
Looking at the photos of Rondón in the Newcastle shirt I notice that they have stripes on the back ... what happened to the premier league rule..?

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2018, 08:26:25 PM »
Looking at the photos of Rondón in the Newcastle shirt I notice that they have stripes on the back ... what happened to the premier league rule..?
.    Ought to be a yellow stripe running down his back.

mig

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2018, 08:26:48 PM »
.    Take your sunglasses off pal .Rondon didn't want to be here kissing the badge and all that c**p couldn't wait to get away. We'll never know if Rundon would have scored goals in the EFL but Gayles record speakers for itself .lf he scores 23 goals for us at this level like he did for NUFC then we'll get promoted.

We also don't know that Gayle will score goals for us at this level. Those 23 were in a Newcastle team which walked the division, and in doing so probably created plenty of chances. Why do people talk as though system and tactics have no impact on player performances?

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2018, 08:34:08 PM »
We also don't know that Gayle will score goals for us at this level. Those 23 were in a Newcastle team which walked the division, and in doing so probably created plenty of chances. Why do people talk as though system and tactics have no impact on player performances?
if we use the same tactics as on Saturday then Gayle will struggle more than Rondon would, we have to change and play players who can create chances from central and wide areas for Gayle to work.

mig

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2018, 08:39:15 PM »
if we use the same tactics as on Saturday then Gayle will struggle more than Rondon would, we have to change and play players who can create chances from central and wide areas for Gayle to work.

Yep exactly. Whether Rondon is a goalscorer or not can be debated over and over, but one thing nobody can deny is that he possesses other attributes to his game which make him valuable in a number of systems. Not sure Gayle has too much to offer behind goalscoring, and if we don't create the chances then he will be quite anonymous for us.

54hines

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »
Shame we will never know how Rondom would have faired, personally sorry to see him go as always gave his all and ploughed a lone furrow doing a thankless job at times having balls hit AT him rather than FOR him.
Still let’s be optimistic , we have in Gayle a proven goal scorer at this level my only doubt is do we have a provider for him. Really hope he can get us the goals we will need even to challenge for a top six place as on Saturday it was obvious that we were so lacking in so many areas but a good striker is vital to any team with any ambition to seriously mount any sort of promotion push.

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2018, 08:58:11 PM »
People have been crying out for a goalscorer...now we have one. I wish him nothing but the best and I've always rated him to be fair. Football is a shark tank business I don't see it as anything less these days.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2018, 09:01:17 PM »
It will only be a good signing if we add a couple of creative midfielders into the mix, and quicken the pace of the game. Tippy tappy across and back in our own half and we've wasted our money on Gayle.
Welcome Dwight and good luck.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2018, 09:14:09 PM »
I wonder how this signing has affected our wage structure. Most, if not all, of last season’s squad have had to take a big drop in wages. There’s no way that Gayle will have taken a pay cut to drop down from the Premier League. Is that £2m being paid to us as part of the deal a hidden way of making up with the shortfall?

My Newcastle friends are adamant that they are paying half his wage for the period of the loan....   and aren't happy about it

They say that who paid his wages was always the only sticking point in the deal..

On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2018, 09:33:27 PM »
Welcome Dwight hope you can put the ball in back off opponents net

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2018, 09:57:55 PM »
Although it's not specifically about the 2016-17 season (when Gayle scored 23 goals), the video below is a good summary of how Benitez likes to play at Newcastle, so it's not unreasonable to assume the 2016-17 season was approached in the same way. Gayle is mentioned in it, although he wasn't first choice in the Premiership of course.

Benitez favours a 4-2-3-1 formation, with an emphasis on playing through balls and having wide players stretching the defence. Unfortunately for Albion, recent seasons have seen us forget what a through ball actually is, so hopefully we can find out again!

Benitez's style of play also relies on the 2 holding midfielders being very mobile, which brings into further question Brunt playing there is we're going to try to play fully to Gayle's strengths. Watch the video and see if you think we can learn anything from it.

Video: Benitez's tactics explained

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2018, 10:52:52 PM »
Hey gloster, I see Dwight as an out and out striker with jrod in a 352, that's what I would prefer with Dawson back and inspired as captain.
I've always thought that set up is both attacking and defensive,with the right players of course.
I get the impression that Dave doesn't fancy the idea of a big man up front he wants people who can pass and take the ball under control and are lively and fast.
I won't hold my breath but I live in hope.
Hasn't football always about trying to score at every opportunity?
Don't players want to try and score from everywhere like the bomber?
If only.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2018, 10:53:37 PM »
Hey gloster, I see Dwight as an out and out striker with jrod in a 352, that's what I would prefer with Dawson back and inspired as captain.
I've always thought that set up is both attacking and defensive,with the right players of course.
I get the impression that Dave doesn't fancy the idea of a big man up front he wants people who can pass and take the ball under control and are lively and fast.
I won't hold my breath but I live in hope.
Hasn't football always about trying to score at every opportunity?
Don't players want to try and score from everywhere like the bomber?
If only.

We aren't going to play 3 at the back.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2018, 11:02:46 PM »

A straight swap for HRK will sort out the problems at one end of the pitch. Now lets hope for a commanding centre back and a target man to replace Rondon.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2018, 11:14:13 PM »
Hey jacko,that's what I would love to see,what's your own thoughts on the shape of our team then?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2018, 11:15:41 PM »
Hey jacko,that's what I would love to see,what's your own thoughts on the shape of our team then?

451/433

With Rodriguez and Gayle competing for one striking berth. Leaves an option on the bench that isn't HRK.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2018, 12:04:46 AM »
So if the one up don't score who do you think will?
You must play two up top surely who can at least have the job of trying to score a goal.
Sorry mate still 352 for me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2018, 12:07:46 AM »
You must play two up top surely who can at least have the job of trying to score a goal.

Dunno but City win a lot of games with Aguero up front on his own, Liverpool likewise with Firmino, but what do Pep and Klopp know? Beats me.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2018, 05:42:49 AM »
They no nothing about the Albion mate

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2018, 08:17:37 AM »

Dunno but City win a lot of games with Aguero up front on his own, Liverpool likewise with Firmino, but what do Pep and Klopp know? Beats me.

Both of those teams also have 2/3 players that scored 20+ goals for them. We simply don't have that in our team.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »

what if neither of the 2 score?

I don't mind 3-5-2 either though. I'd prefer 4-5-1 away and 4-2-3-1 at home or with the right personnel 3-4-3 at home like Wigan used to play under Martinez....and Jones.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2018, 08:27:33 AM »

Two up top is becoming less and less common in the modern game as possession is king. If you want to play two up top then the best thing is to play three at the back. I can't see Albion doing that.

4-2-3-1 probably suits Albion best. With the likes of Barnes and Morrison in the team we are more likely to get goals from other areas of the team. Dawson also will provide goals.

We do need goals from other areas but I think the idea that two up front would get us more goals is flawed.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2018, 08:48:02 AM »
Welcome to the club. I just pray we play to your strengths and don't expect you to spend the entire game chasing long punts up to you.

Has the potential to be a season defining signing, this one.