Author Topic: Foreign Leagues  (Read 3639 times)

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

Foreign Leagues
« on: September 27, 2018, 01:01:36 PM »
How many on here have watched any foreign games live?

I was in Germany last weekend and went to a Bundesliga 3 game, Zwickau v Osnabruck
It was interesting to see but the standard was absolutely dire, like watching two pub teams. Decent crowd though and a nice little ground, capacity about 10,000 and about half full, but a good atmosphere
It was interesting to listen to the fans comments. I speak some German so understood most of it, and the moans and complaints are the same all everywhere
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Foreign Leagues
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »
How many on here have watched any foreign games live?

I was in Germany last weekend and went to a Bundesliga 3 game, Zwickau v Osnabruck
It was interesting to see but the standard was absolutely dire, like watching two pub teams. Decent crowd though and a nice little ground, capacity about 10,000 and about half full, but a good atmosphere
It was interesting to listen to the fans comments. I speak some German so understood most of it, and the moans and complaints are the same all everywhere

Saw Hertha vs Bayern at the Olympic Stadium about 10 years ago. Great experience, not a great match.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 01:54:08 PM »
I went to Bayern beat Borussia mönchengladbach 5-1 earlier in the year at the Allianz. The pre game atmosphere and bars outside the ground were really good fun.

Bayern went 1-0 down and I was surprised just how openly away fans were able to not just support their team in shirts, holding flags etc but also celebrate a goal in the 'home end' Their fans were fantastic though. The Bayern support wasn't so great, but even a fair amount of Bayern fans were telling us how the get a lot of glory hunters and day trippers so there are much better stadiums to see games. 

I only actually saw the first two of the six goals, but that is another story.

Also, if anyone is considering it.... we bought tickets online for about 100 euro each as it was sold out and we didn't want to miss out. However everybody that took the chance managed to get a ticket on the day and nobody paid more than 50 euro. One lad even ended up in corporate hospitality somehow for that price.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 02:00:15 PM »
I've always been tempted and it is on my bucket list but I haven't just yet.

I did consider going to a Prague derby earlier this year and i've looked at other games in previous years.

Really interested in what the atmosphere is like abroad.
Boing Boing

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
Went to see Cornella v Sabadell as managed to schedule a trip to Barcelona during an international break.

There was about 500 there packed into one stand and they still managed a full scale riot, requiring about four vans full of police in full riot gear to sort out.

Best 15E I've ever spent.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 04:24:40 PM »
I saw Lyons smash Bordeaux 5-0 to see them win the league. Cant remember if it was 2004 or 2005 il have to dig the ticket out. Watched the trophy ceremony and everything. Was our prize for being the runner up in a youth football tournament in Lyon. Lyon team had govu malouda essien juhnino diarra coupet Chris- great team.

When working in Spain I regularly watched club esporting Sabadell as they were my local side and frequently watched Barcelona in the champions league. Saw Barca draw
1-1 with psg in champions league quarter final in 2013. Saw Real Madrid v Valencia same year and watched kaka boss the game real won 4-0.

Defiantly worth watching games overseas they have some great stadiums and a very different atmosphere.
O Albion we love you

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 04:30:07 PM »
Have done a fair few.... sometimes the football isn't great, but it pretty much always a great atmosphere;

Union Berlin v Duisburg
Anderlecht - Ajax
Several FC Utrecht games
Milan vs Juve
NAC Breda vs Groningen
NEC Nijmegan - Den Haag
Ajax vs Feyenoord
PSV - Feyenoord
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:35:25 PM by Floydy »
Twitter: @floydy1983

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 08:40:30 PM »
Went regularly to watch Orihuela CF in the Spanish Tercera division group 6 (level 4). A couple of years back they got to the play off final (a rather convoluted system) & they lost on aggregate to Real Betis B 4-3 despite being 3-0 ahead at half time in the second leg.
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 08:47:07 PM »
Did Dortmund v Hamburg a few years back; the Dortmund team had Lewandowski, Gotze and Hummels amongst others. Hamburg won 4-1, inspired by van der Vaart after Lewandowski got sent off early doors. Brilliant atmosphere and so many things right about the match day experience.

Saw Barca beat Getafe 6-0 a few years back; it was a rout but their technical quality was outstanding. It was Suarez, Neymar and Messi up top that day. Also saw PSG for my stag but it was disappointing as Monaco had already won the league by then. PSG's performance was lethargic if I'm being generous. They were playing Caen who equalised late on to get the point they needsed to keep them up which was exciting.

Laguna Baggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 12:37:06 AM »
I have been lucky enough to see a couple of games on my travels to South America, including River Plate against somebody at the River Plate Stadium in Buenos Aires in 1979 - the year after Argentina hosted and won the World Cup. Can't remember too many of the details, though I believe Daniel Passarella was playing....... I also saw Fluminense play Botafogo in a Rio derby at the Maracana and was surprised as to how feisty the game was.

Living in the States these days I have also taken in a few MLS games, quality isn't great but I saw Seattle Sounders at Portland Timbers 2-3 years ago when Clint Dempsey terrorized a certain Liam Ridgewell the whole game. I also saw Andrea Pirlo & David Silva playing for NYFC at LA Galaxy (with Steven Gerard) but the game itself was a non-event.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »
Chadli taken off 20 mins into Monaco PSG game.  8)

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »
Saw barca beat sampdoria at 1992 European Cup final.

Then i went to inter v lazio in the day time and then the Milan Derby in the evening in the early 90's.

Went to Barca vs Eibar when an Barca win and real defeat could have won them the league. Eibar took a two nil lead but barca came back to win 4:2, but real won the league.

Went to atletico's old ground to see them beat valencia 2:1.

However, I much prefer international football when abroad and have been lucky to have been to every wc since 1998 and a few EC too since 1996.

Saw the Zidane sending off wc final and the lampard over the line goal against Germany as well as Ben Foster represent England against Costa Rica in Brazil.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 11:56:43 PM »
I used to watch Borussia Monchengladbach regularly in the mid 90s. Was a great standard of football and cheap. Saw some great games at the Bokelberg and the atmosphere used to be fantastic despite three sides of open terrace and no roof. Also went to a few away games, at Msv Duisburg, Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Uerdigen, Fortuna Dusseldorf. For the game at Duss which was a derby we took over 25000 fans to the Rhine Stadion.

Also went to Goztepe v Galatasary in Turkey, 80000 crowd and a great win for GozGoz. The atmosphere was incredible and most of the Goztepe songs revolves around which animals the local fans of Galatasary were in relationships. The people of Izmir did not like local glory hunters.