Author Topic: Sam Field Joins QPR  (Read 216560 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Field
« Reply #575 on: June 10, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
Just had a look, 24 pages in 3 years on not-so-young Sam, I reckon this season is make or break for him, either a regular at Xmas or on the cheerio list
21 last month and you are willing to write him off by Christmas? He has already made 37 appearances for us, has played reasonably well, and continues to develop. As a holding midfielder he will be at his peak in about 7 years time. Have a bit of patience.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #576 on: June 10, 2019, 05:49:21 PM »
21 last month and you are willing to write him off by Christmas? He has already made 37 appearances for us, has played reasonably well, and continues to develop. As a holding midfielder he will be at his peak in about 7 years time. Have a bit of patience.
I've always thought he looked useful, I hope he comes through.  I hope we find a manager who will give him a fair crack at things.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #577 on: June 10, 2019, 06:56:22 PM »
I've always thought he looked useful, I hope he comes through.  I hope we find a manager who will give him a fair crack at things.

I've just had a mental imagine of Dowling and Jenkins sifting through lost property looking for one of those......
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #578 on: June 10, 2019, 07:07:54 PM »
I'd just like to know what he's done wrong in the games he has played to attract the negativity. Can anyone answer ? 

He certainly hasn't given the ball away repeatedly or got caught out of position repeatedly or got himself sent off for reckless challenges.

The only possible answer is too much sideways or back passing. Personally I don't agree with that accusation anyway...if there is a touch of that it's probably due to general lack of movement in the team.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #579 on: June 11, 2019, 12:56:28 PM »
The only possible answer is too much sideways or back passing. Personally I don't agree with that accusation anyway...if there is a touch of that it's probably due to general lack of movement in the team.

If you watch the games, I think Sam does go sideways and backwards too often - early on in games. By about half time / beginning of the second half, he seems to have grown in confidence and starts trying more things. It's something that will come with experience and confidence.

Although it would help if there was better movement in front of him.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #580 on: July 26, 2019, 05:57:42 PM »
Too much talk on this forum of Sam going out on loan, ridiculous, not going to happen. Definite 1st team squad member, with plenty of game time.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #581 on: July 26, 2019, 06:25:37 PM »
He does mainly pass the ball backwards and sideways, but then, maybe he is most use to the team as a holding player. Someone to provide cover and protect the back 4. He certainly has good defensive qualities. 
But with Krovinovic, Harper and (hopefully) Sawyers at the club, we have enough creative midfielders.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 06:27:33 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie_liam

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #582 on: July 26, 2019, 07:11:49 PM »
He does mainly pass the ball backwards and sideways, but then, maybe he is most use to the team as a holding player. Someone to provide cover and protect the back 4. He certainly has good defensive qualities. 
But with Krovinovic, Harper and (hopefully) Sawyers at the club, we have enough creative midfielders.

If he’s going to be a defensive shield type of player then he’s going to be a lot more physical. At the minute he seems too soft and lightweight for that

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #583 on: July 26, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »
Have to say I think too much is being made of the sideways / backwards passing. There's a strong chance that any tendency towards that so far is down to not feeling settled in the team and/or lack of availability of runners for forward passes.
There's a general acceptance that he can tackle and we've seen that he has a decent engine and can get forward. He was there to make the run and finish for the winner at Sheff Utd. He scored in the prem v Newcastle by arriving late in the box, and showed that same late arrival on other occasions.

Sick of saying this but Megson said he has the best passing range at the club - he wouldn't say that if the lad couldn't or won't pass forward.
His main competitors for a deeper role in a middle three are Livermore and Brunt. Brunt's tackling is a liability, he's not a defense minded DM and his role this year should be to come on fresh for the last 20 minutes when needed whether that's wide or LB ....or in midfield.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #584 on: July 26, 2019, 10:27:57 PM »
Have to say I think too much is being made of the sideways / backwards passing. There's a strong chance that any tendency towards that so far is down to not feeling settled in the team and/or lack of availability of runners for forward passes.
There's a general acceptance that he can tackle and we've seen that he has a decent engine and can get forward. He was there to make the run and finish for the winner at Sheff Utd. He scored in the prem v Newcastle by arriving late in the box, and showed that same late arrival on other occasions.

Sick of saying this but Megson said he has the best passing range at the club - he wouldn't say that if the lad couldn't or won't pass forward.
His main competitors for a deeper role in a middle three are Livermore and Brunt. Brunt's tackling is a liability, he's not a defense minded DM and his role this year should be to come on fresh for the last 20 minutes when needed whether that's wide or LB ....or in midfield.

I stand to be corrected but I am sure it was Pulis that said this and more about Field.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #585 on: July 26, 2019, 10:33:23 PM »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #586 on: July 26, 2019, 10:36:37 PM »
Played well tonight. Him and Brunt looked far more comfortable on the ball than Harper and Livermore.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #587 on: July 26, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »
I have watched him tonight, and I thought he got around the pitch better than Rekeem. I agree with an earlier poster that a lot of rubbish is attributed to backwards and sideways passing on here. He is a good passer of the ball and one of the key elements of the performance tonight was much improved ball retention by the team overall.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #588 on: July 26, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2017/11/27/gary-megson-sam-field-has-the-best-passing-range-at-west-brom/

Fair play I dont remember Megson saying that but Pulis definately said that that Field was the best young talent he had ever worked with or words to that effect.
Gera, Gera, Gera

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #589 on: July 27, 2019, 12:33:20 AM »

I've read that comment from Megson before, but when is he going to start showing it in games? I can think of several Albion players who hit decent 20 yard passes forwards regualrly, e.g. Barry, Krovinovic, Brunt, and Sawyers will definitely.   
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 12:38:40 AM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #590 on: July 27, 2019, 12:49:11 AM »
Played well tonight. Him and Brunt looked far more comfortable on the ball than Harper and Livermore.

I know bad language isn't allowed on here but ******* hell!  :o

I just can't believe I've read that. Did someone hack your account Jacko?  ;D

Agree with you.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: July 27, 2019, 01:00:14 AM »
I have watched him tonight, and I thought he got around the pitch better than Rekeem. I agree with an earlier poster that a lot of rubbish is attributed to backwards and sideways passing on here. He is a good passer of the ball and one of the key elements of the performance tonight was much improved ball retention by the team overall.

him and harper could easily be rotated this season but they both need to be getting 20-25 games.
they both should be ahead of Livermore and brunt in terms of central midfield pecking order.
O Albion we love you

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #592 on: July 27, 2019, 11:06:32 PM »
him and harper could easily be rotated this season but they both need to be getting 20-25 games.
they both should be ahead of Livermore and brunt in terms of central midfield pecking order.

Certainly Brunt, even I'm ahead of him being left footed but quick despite have only one leg ;D

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #593 on: July 27, 2019, 11:11:45 PM »
I admit to being a little sceptical about  Sam, but if he can’t step up to the plate and put in performances with a Head Coach like Bilić, then I am right, but honestly and sincerely I hope I am wrong as I do like the lad
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #594 on: July 28, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
I admit to being a little sceptical about  Sam, but if he can’t step up to the plate and put in performances with a Head Coach like Bilić, then I am right, but honestly and sincerely I hope I am wrong as I do like the lad
In fairness to Sam he's lacked opportunities over the past 18 months, basically since Megson went. It's not as though he's continually been given chances and not performed, we've persisted with Brunt, Barry, Livermore. If Bilic backs him and gives him 5 or 6 games on the spin, we'll have a fair chance to judge where he's at now.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #595 on: July 28, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »
In fairness to Sam he's lacked opportunities over the past 18 months, basically since Megson went. It's not as though he's continually been given chances and not performed, we've persisted with Brunt, Barry, Livermore. If Bilic backs him and gives him 5 or 6 games on the spin, we'll have a fair chance to judge where he's at now.

Stop it Adder your making to much sence, i mean give him a run of games. Humbug.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #596 on: August 03, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »
If he's not injured I'd be very worried that a 5th manager now doesn't rate the lad.

Not in the 18.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #597 on: August 03, 2019, 04:56:05 PM »
If he's not injured I'd be very worried that a 5th manager now doesn't rate the lad.

Not in the 18.

Rightly or wrongly but you are right. If he ain't getting a game over Livermore and billic sees Harper as third choice he needs to go out on loan
O Albion we love you

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #598 on: August 03, 2019, 04:57:00 PM »
Yeah if he's not wanted dont keep him here. No good for either party.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #599 on: August 03, 2019, 05:15:51 PM »
Time to move Sam on