Author Topic: Darren Moore  (Read 850365 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Darren Moore
« Reply #1075 on: August 12, 2018, 06:54:37 PM »
I have plenty of good mates i would not work with, The fact that Graeme Jones has felt confident enough to walk away from Belgium job to team up with DM suggests 9to me at least) that DM is no mug and a top coach thinks the same clearly.
I also think DM deserve credit for getting GJ here!
I'll reserve judgement on the new teams gelling at Xmas and not before.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1076 on: August 12, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »
Bottom line is, Big Dave's here to manage a squad of professional footballs, and try and win football games based on his assessment of the team and individuals. He may not be a gifted orator in some people's eyes, but that's not his job. The way someone speaks is usually a reflection of their upbringing rather than their intelligence.

Donald Trump/Alan Sugar have a far more limited vocabulary than Big Dave, yet they know how to run a successful business better than 99% of people. Just because someone isn't an eloquent speaker, doesn't mean they're not intelligent.

Spot on, I would add that people who are successful are aware of their limitations, they make up for those by employing people around them who bring those skills to the party, that is the sign of intelligence, not their ability to trot out a line to the media.
The arrogant think they know it all, the smart ones know they don't and utilise the knowledge of others, a life lesson many could learn, but many don't.
Baggie in Southampton

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1077 on: August 12, 2018, 09:36:41 PM »
I can't see why people get so offended at people's honest opinions
If you knew neither of them, and based on a 3 minute interview I'd suggest that most would choose Pardew to go on a general knowledge game show over Big Dave

That doesn't make you racist or disparaging, it's just taking what you see and hear at face value?
I don't think he talks too well in interview, but then I don't really care , if he (and Mr Jones) can train the group during the week and get the most out of them I'm happy..
We are a full week in to the season, we really do have to be a little bit more considered and patience , there are many a team that will set up not to lose to us and many a team that have some good players, we should not sack him yet, we should be free with realistic critics my and we should be grown up enough to accept that others have opinions too.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1078 on: August 12, 2018, 10:41:45 PM »
Bottom line is, Big Dave's here to manage a squad of professional footballs, and try and win football games based on his assessment of the team and individuals. He may not be a gifted orator in some people's eyes, but that's not his job. The way someone speaks is usually a reflection of their upbringing rather than their intelligence.

Donald Trump/Alan Sugar have a far more limited vocabulary than Big Dave, yet they know how to run a successful business better than 99% of people. Just because someone isn't an eloquent speaker, doesn't mean they're not intelligent.

Oh where to start?

Alan Sugar is a very accomplished businessman who is self-made and was one of the first people to get into the start of the vast computer business. He can speak both eloquently and with purpose.

Donald Trump, however, is an ignorant narcissistic propagandist who squandered his father's money and has left behind him a string of failed businesses, controversial relationships and now looks forward to his chief campaign aides and family being indicted for conspiracy to defraud the electoral process of the United States of America.

Big Dave just plays Chris Brunt in the wrong position.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1079 on: August 13, 2018, 06:10:59 AM »
In general fans pay too much attention to what Coaches say to the media pre and post match. For the most part it is a minefield which they are seeking to navigate without causing controversy and by convention without throwing their players under the bus.

Was Moore happy with Nyom's performance on Saturday? Probably not but he also knows the player far better than any of us and knows enough to not to hang the player out to dry. That does not mean to say he won't drop him or give him an earful in private.

There are some coaches who are very comfortable in front of the cameras and others less so. Some are so full of bs regardless of their eloquence they are far more embarrassing than any slightly stilted interview that Darren Moore might give.

Pardew was the ultimate smooth operator and exudes confidence and charm. Yet he is the emptiest of empty suits.

Ultimately judge a coach by want happens on the pitch that is their work the shape of the team the tactics what they get out of a group of players is it more or less than could be reasonably be expected?

Yes they are the public face of the club but all we can ask is they conduct themselves with a bit of dignity in sometimes trying circumstances and have a some personal integrity in a job which does not always reward it.

Don't worry too much about Darren's media persona but pray to everything holy that he finds the wisdom to abandon this bloody 4-4-2.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1080 on: August 13, 2018, 08:14:25 AM »
Not sure previous managers received such early criticism.

In my opinion, Darren Moore has some hugely undervalued qualities considering the posts we're seeing in this thread.

Big Dave has a level of emotional intelligence and self awareness rarely seen other than those who are top managers. His tactics in midfield are interesting to say the least but let's get something straight here - no one knows our best 11 yet, I totally appreciate he needs time.

In addition he is fully qualified and has an industry leading assistant coach.

I could go on, but I'm just happy we have some identity and integrity back thanks to Darren Moore.

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1081 on: August 13, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »
Leave him alone. He's in charge and I for one will support him for that. He's certainly doing his best in what is possibly one of the more complicated businesses. Yes there are some faults but there are everywhere if you look hard enough. Ok we don't set up as some would like but lets not forget - on Saturday we actually scored 4 goals away from home. That didn't happen in the recent past. So we let 3 in but if you score more than your opponents you will win any game.
Based on previous occupants of the role it would be possible to say that it is easier to defend than attack. TP obviously thought so which was dire. AP tried to attack but lacked any idea. Big Dave is slowly getting things right. We won't just go through this league winning every week. When Reading won it at a canter they lost their first game. Better to start slowly and improve than to implode dramatically mid way through.
Let just be happy - we actually look like we are trying which is something.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1082 on: August 13, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
Not sure previous managers received such early criticism.

In my opinion, Darren Moore has some hugely undervalued qualities considering the posts we're seeing in this thread.

Big Dave has a level of emotional intelligence and self awareness rarely seen other than those who are top managers. His tactics in midfield are interesting to say the least but let's get something straight here - no one knows our best 11 yet, I totally appreciate he needs time.

In addition he is fully qualified and has an industry leading assistant coach.

I could go on, but I'm just happy we have some identity and integrity back thanks to Darren Moore.
Great post fella, thanks!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1083 on: August 13, 2018, 09:49:39 AM »

Oh where to start?

Alan Sugar is a very accomplished businessman who is self-made and was one of the first people to get into the start of the vast computer business. He can speak both eloquently and with purpose.

Donald Trump, however, is an ignorant narcissistic propagandist who squandered his father's money and has left behind him a string of failed businesses, controversial relationships and now looks forward to his chief campaign aides and family being indicted for conspiracy to defraud the electoral process of the United States of America.

Big Dave just plays Chris Brunt in the wrong position.
This made me laugh, thanks, bit of perspective!

At the moment he deos seem to go a bit "Ron Manager" in interviews, but don't they all?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1084 on: August 13, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »
I know all about abuse that previous managers received, most of it didn't remain on the forum to be seen. I know there is a difference between personal abuse and criticism. Criticism is fine, abuse is not and as such abusive comments will be removed.

I think it might be time for us to step down as it seems plenty of you think you are able to do a better job moderating the forum than we are.

I don't agree Phil, having been on plenty of other fan sites I appreciate how well run [and moderated] this one is. I did come on yesterday afternoon when the DM debate was getting a little tense and had to walk away. I think the recent posting by Letmereadtheposts is absolutely bang on.

So no need to step down, sometimes debates get a little exciting and require management, keep up the good work!
MAGA!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1085 on: August 13, 2018, 02:59:07 PM »
I think that Dave is different to other head coaches by the way he speaks,its a refreshing honesty that goes against the other so called professionals.
But he knows how many beans make 5.
He has more knowledge about players and football than we will ever know.
He also seems to be a deep thinker about how he wants the club to be.
We've had all the clever dicks and look where it got us,more power to him I say,leave him be.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1086 on: August 14, 2018, 10:41:44 PM »
Thought that was superb management by Darren and his team. Showed more awareness than TP has in 4 seasons re League Cup ties against lower league opposition.

Trialled a different system, and made full use of his squad. Made sure he had firepower in the starting line up and on the bench in case things went wrong.

Very pleased.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1087 on: August 15, 2018, 09:46:11 AM »
I understand the need to give the wider squad competitive minutes and it's good to try a different formation.

However, considering that we have a glaring gap in centre midfield why was Field being played as a centre back?

This makes less sense than playing Robson-Kanu at right back.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1088 on: August 15, 2018, 10:10:29 AM »
I understand the need to give the wider squad competitive minutes and it's good to try a different formation.

However, considering that we have a glaring gap in centre midfield why was Field being played as a centre back?

This makes less sense than playing Robson-Kanu at right back.

Because we had no recognised right back available therefore had to play wing backs. The only centre backs available were Bartley, Hegazi and Tosin. Bartley and Hegazi weren't going to be asked to play ninety minutes ahead of Saturday's game so Field being both versatile and left footed was asked to play left centre back and Bartley / Hegazi a half each.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1089 on: August 15, 2018, 10:19:27 AM »

Because we had no recognised right back available therefore had to play wing backs. The only centre backs available were Bartley, Hegazi and Tosin. Bartley and Hegazi weren't going to be asked to play ninety minutes ahead of Saturday's game so Field being both versatile and left footed was asked to play left centre back and Bartley / Hegazi a half each.
I'm with you on this and also tend think DM took the ideal opportunity to see how well Tosin went with both Hegazi and Bartley in a competitive situation as opposed to out on the training field
I also thought Field did himself a whole lot of good by being both willing and able to fulfil the role asked of him
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1090 on: August 15, 2018, 10:54:17 AM »

They should be able to play a full game twice per week but I see your logic. This clearly highlights how thin our squad is.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1091 on: August 15, 2018, 11:01:04 AM »
Pleased for Big Dave that he has got a couple of wins under his belt.

Said after the Forest game, though there were worrying signs, all i wanted to see was the team start to get some identity + method, even if it took a while to achieve, it wasnt going to happen overnight.

So far its been in fits and spurts which is fine, i thought we were poor v Bolton the whole game, for 80 minutes against Forest and for 45 minutes against Norwich.

However first half of the friendly v Coventry (Friendly i know!), last 10 minutes v Forest and the second 45 minutes v Norwich, we were very good, hopefully with more work and with Jones in assisting too, there will be more consistency, like i say for me personally even if it takes time, so be it, its just nice to see an Albion team taking the game to the opposition (at times!)

What it does look like we are going to be is when we are in possession a fast attacking away team, i dont think it will be tikka takka or keep ball for the sake of it, we pass quick sharp and use our pace and its worked well, mainly because we have players suited to that and who are better than most others in the league.

The home approach will be interesting because many teams will shut up shop straight away, frustrate us, try and turn the crowd then have a go (ie - Bolton) There the games Big Dave and Jones need to find a different approach but again given time, lets hope they can.

It must of been quite difficult with so many players linked with leaving and some acting unprofessional (Dawson, Foster and Mclean) but he still has to keep them involved without relying on them because they would of still been around the place, you dont want them becoming rotters. Same applies for Dawson (again), JRod, Gibbs, Hegazi, Chadli - all players it looked like could go or were rumoured to want to go, yet Big Dave still has to work with them and keep them involved without rocking the boat, so far he seems to of done that well and thats credit to him, its a lot to deal with first pre season!

With the window shut he now knows roughly what he has to work with, i like that he wants pace in the team, he is playing the youth, and there are signs every now and then away from home from what this team can do, its quite exciting and as a fan right now, thats all i want!

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1092 on: August 15, 2018, 07:50:29 PM »
Pleased for Big Dave that he has got a couple of wins under his belt.

Said after the Forest game, though there were worrying signs, all i wanted to see was the team start to get some identity + method, even if it took a while to achieve, it wasnt going to happen overnight.

So far its been in fits and spurts which is fine, i thought we were poor v Bolton the whole game, for 80 minutes against Forest and for 45 minutes against Norwich.

However first half of the friendly v Coventry (Friendly i know!), last 10 minutes v Forest and the second 45 minutes v Norwich, we were very good, hopefully with more work and with Jones in assisting too, there will be more consistency, like i say for me personally even if it takes time, so be it, its just nice to see an Albion team taking the game to the opposition (at times!)

What it does look like we are going to be is when we are in possession a fast attacking away team, i dont think it will be tikka takka or keep ball for the sake of it, we pass quick sharp and use our pace and its worked well, mainly because we have players suited to that and who are better than most others in the league.

The home approach will be interesting because many teams will shut up shop straight away, frustrate us, try and turn the crowd then have a go (ie - Bolton) There the games Big Dave and Jones need to find a different approach but again given time, lets hope they can.

It must of been quite difficult with so many players linked with leaving and some acting unprofessional (Dawson, Foster and Mclean) but he still has to keep them involved without relying on them because they would of still been around the place, you dont want them becoming rotters. Same applies for Dawson (again), JRod, Gibbs, Hegazi, Chadli - all players it looked like could go or were rumoured to want to go, yet Big Dave still has to work with them and keep them involved without rocking the boat, so far he seems to of done that well and thats credit to him, its a lot to deal with first pre season!

With the window shut he now knows roughly what he has to work with, i like that he wants pace in the team, he is playing the youth, and there are signs every now and then away from home from what this team can do, its quite exciting and as a fan right now, thats all i want!

Tikka takka?

Sorry but that totally killed me. If you can't play like Barcelona then I guess playing like Bombay is the next best thing. 😭😭😭😭😭

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1093 on: August 15, 2018, 10:10:23 PM »
The West Midlands is famous for its curries so i thought i would rebrand the football style to suit! Can see it catching on!

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1094 on: August 15, 2018, 11:32:46 PM »
The West Midlands is famous for its curries so i thought i would rebrand the football style to suit! Can see it catching on!

That is a most excellent idea!!!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1095 on: August 16, 2018, 01:03:01 AM »
I thought he got a lot right last night.

Firstly shape of the team

3-4-1-2 which was a fairly radical departure.

Regardless of the personnel in the various roles this is the sort of move that suggests a greater tactical range than had hitherto been in evidence.

Looking at the personnel Moore seems to have shipped even more criticism for some of selections.

Couple of points the League Cup is not a priority and we have just come off 3 games in 7 days so he had to change things up and it was Luton. If anything he might have been justified in fielding an even weaker starting XI

A lot of people seem to be slagging off the decision to play Field in the 3. It is critical that when we play a 3 at the back at least one of the 3 is good on the ball. Adarabioyo is a bit a of unknown quantity although coming from Man City I would expect him to be at least okay, Hegazi is a little haphazard in his distribution but Field is excellent in this regard.

In the summer England's back three were largely selected for their ability on the ball. In that context Field's selection is logical.

One feature that was consistent is that Moore seems to be determined to play 2 up top. The most significant difference between this set up and the 4-4-2 is it allows for a dedicated "10" and there should be a better link between the front and the back of the team and the transition from defence to attack should be more fluid.

It will be interesting to see if Moore uses this experiment with his full squad, I hope that he does because this could elevate us to a different tactical level.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1096 on: August 16, 2018, 08:47:34 AM »
I thought he got a lot right last night.

Firstly shape of the team

3-4-1-2 which was a fairly radical departure.

Regardless of the personnel in the various roles this is the sort of move that suggests a greater tactical range than had hitherto been in evidence.

Looking at the personnel Moore seems to have shipped even more criticism for some of selections.

Couple of points the League Cup is not a priority and we have just come off 3 games in 7 days so he had to change things up and it was Luton. If anything he might have been justified in fielding an even weaker starting XI

A lot of people seem to be slagging off the decision to play Field in the 3. It is critical that when we play a 3 at the back at least one of the 3 is good on the ball. Adarabioyo is a bit a of unknown quantity although coming from Man City I would expect him to be at least okay, Hegazi is a little haphazard in his distribution but Field is excellent in this regard.

In the summer England's back three were largely selected for their ability on the ball. In that context Field's selection is logical.

One feature that was consistent is that Moore seems to be determined to play 2 up top. The most significant difference between this set up and the 4-4-2 is it allows for a dedicated "10" and there should be a better link between the front and the back of the team and the transition from defence to attack should be more fluid.

It will be interesting to see if Moore uses this experiment with his full squad, I hope that he does because this could elevate us to a different tactical level.

It would also rule out the need to sign a right back. In fact if you look at our squad it would leave all bases covered and personnel-wise it suits:

Johnstone
                                                   Myhill

Dawson             Bartley               Hegazi
                          Nyom                Adarabioyo         Field

Phillips                            Livermore             Brunt                           Gibbs
Edwards                          Morrison               Harper                         Townsend
                                                                  Barry

Barnes
                                                   Chadli
                                                   Leko

Rodriguez              Gayle
                                      Robson-Kanu         Burke

It will be interesting to see if we use this sort of system as a default moving forward or whether Big Dave thought it was the only way to line up against Luton given the squad of players available / he wanted to use.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1097 on: August 16, 2018, 09:22:33 AM »
I really like Darren Moore and think he is doing OK.
Its his first gig, he's going to make mistakes like all managers. He'll be measured by how he responds after a loss.
My worry is will there be mass hysteria when he's sacked/leaves by mutual consent.
Like it or not that's how this will end
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1098 on: August 16, 2018, 09:38:06 AM »
What about if he gets another job like Hodgson & Mowbray ?

3 straight wins if we win Saturday. That'll make a great change compared to what we went through last season

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1099 on: August 16, 2018, 09:44:19 AM »
What about if he gets another job like Hodgson & Mowbray ?

I think Big Dave is unique in that I really don't think he'd leave Albion to go anywhere else. I know players / managers have affinities with clubs and they move on but Darren Moore is probably the most honest, humble and genuine man you could ever meet. He adores the Albion and I honestly don't think he'd go anywhere to "further his career".