Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 361131 times)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #625 on: January 20, 2018, 05:02:59 PM »
Huge credit today to Jay for staying with McCarthy for the first few minutes after the injury and comforting him by holding his hand. Its easy to walk away from it as most players did, but he stayed.

Huge respect Jay. A credit to our club.

Very proud.

Totally agree fella. He has been though a bad injury himself so knew that support was required
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #626 on: January 20, 2018, 06:03:08 PM »

He also had his best game today since August. Well played Jay.

And calm and clinical in front of goal to put away his chance.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #627 on: January 20, 2018, 06:48:43 PM »
Huge credit today to Jay for staying with McCarthy for the first few minutes after the injury and comforting him by holding his hand. Its easy to walk away from it as most players did, but he stayed.

Very proud.

Noticed this as well, thought also he may have had thoughts about his own long term injury as well

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #628 on: January 21, 2018, 08:56:47 AM »

Absolutely correct - the reactions of both him and Rondon, although completely different, were both a credit to them and to the club. Fingers crossed that McCarthy can recover from this injury. It was a very brave challenge and he deserves to come back from it.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #629 on: January 27, 2018, 08:50:45 PM »
Scored two goals already and its only half time. The first goal was an absolute mother. Well done Jay.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #630 on: January 27, 2018, 08:56:17 PM »
As I said in the game thread he's really coming into his own at the min

you can literally see the confidence in his play

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #631 on: January 27, 2018, 09:49:20 PM »
Two chances and two goals. Clinical, best performance of the season up front. Superb.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #632 on: January 27, 2018, 09:49:35 PM »
He's had horrendous injury problems. Sometimes it takes quite a run of games to get your match sharpness back. He's looking a real player at last as is Greg to needed time to settle in England.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #633 on: January 27, 2018, 09:50:30 PM »
Looking like the player who was sniffing around the England squad.

Get in Jay.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #634 on: January 27, 2018, 09:51:26 PM »
Super Rod...Ermm.... Dyno Rod  :D

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #635 on: January 27, 2018, 09:56:43 PM »
Been excellent the past few games. Combine his clinical finishing with Rondon's excellent hold-up performances under Pardew and I'm actually reasonably confident in our strike force for the rest of the season.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #636 on: January 27, 2018, 09:59:27 PM »
He's had horrendous injury problems. Sometimes it takes quite a run of games to get your match sharpness back. He's looking a real player at last as is Greg to needed time to settle in England.
Yes that's fair comment, the premier league is so quick and such a high level it's difficult to hit your top level straight away after a long injury lay off.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #637 on: January 27, 2018, 10:32:31 PM »
Gerrard was full of praise for him after the game and rightly so.

Keep giving him chances and he will find the net. Hes got his match sharpness back and now hes being played in a position whereby he can do his job - score.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #638 on: January 27, 2018, 10:53:19 PM »
Championship player at best get rid drop him he'll never get the goals. He as Shut everyone up with is last couple of performances well done jay!!

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #639 on: January 28, 2018, 12:36:04 AM »
With his recent form, talk of him getting back in the England team. Does that mean he's out of the woods on his racism allegation? I'm sue the FA would take a much more lenient view if Southgate is interested in him!

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #640 on: January 28, 2018, 08:05:01 AM »
Last night, he looked the player we hoped he'd be when he signed . Hopefully he can continue this form over the second half of the season because he looks like he could score quite a few when played consistently down the centre and isn't expected to play as a midfielder (dig at Pulis there )

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #641 on: January 28, 2018, 10:36:29 AM »
Play him down the middle to get the best out of him
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #642 on: January 28, 2018, 10:48:19 AM »
I think last night suggests that to get the best out Jay Rodriguez play him as a Centre Forward and play the ball to feet.

We have tried to fit him in a variety of roles and that has had mixed results to say the least. I'm not convinced by him in the 10 role behind Rondon but given our limited options it might be the best option we have at the moment.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #643 on: January 28, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »
I think last night suggests that to get the best out Jay Rodriguez play him as a Centre Forward and play the ball to feet.

We have tried to fit him in a variety of roles and that has had mixed results to say the least. I'm not convinced by him in the 10 role behind Rondon but given our limited options it might be the best option we have at the moment.

I think it works better when Rondon is the one who comes slightly deeper.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #644 on: January 28, 2018, 12:05:51 PM »
Yeah our attack worked really well last night without Rondon on the pitch. Funny that.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #645 on: January 28, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »
Yeah our attack worked really well last night without Rondon on the pitch. Funny that.

Exactly what I was thinking, wonder what the result would of been with jay as sub and rondon playing,we would probably be saying well he held the ball up well if only  that went in of the post. I'm not convinced by rondon at all.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #646 on: January 28, 2018, 12:52:15 PM »
Considering Kanu added nothing to the game I'd suggest we would have been even more comfortable had Rondon started alongside Rodriguez.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #647 on: January 28, 2018, 12:56:01 PM »
I said same last night best games when rondon not played . 2 great goals

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #648 on: January 28, 2018, 10:02:39 PM »
Anybody who cannot see what Rondon has brought to the team recently, hasn't got a clue as far as I am concerned. One of the last touches he had for us was inches away from being an absolute worldy. Just like the rest of the attacking players, he's needed time to get used to a new approach. The goals will come, he's a quality player.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #649 on: January 29, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »
Considering Kanu added nothing to the game I'd suggest we would have been even more comfortable had Rondon started alongside Rodriguez.

Kanu was instrumental in the opening goal for a start.