Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 363035 times)

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #300 on: June 29, 2017, 12:54:07 AM »
It sounds like its virtually a done deal to me. If we can keep him fit (which we have managed to do with much older players in the past) then we have a top player on our hands. The Burnley link has simply come from people adding 5 and 5 together and getting Twelve. Never judge by bookies odds it only takes a handful of bets to change the market.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #301 on: June 29, 2017, 04:55:27 AM »
Hope he goes Burnley, £14m for an injury-prone Southampton reject. Awful business.

£14m in today's market for a serious club is nothing so why do fans worry about it?
We want the new owners to invest as much as possible at the market rates surely?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:51:46 AM by AlbionBest »
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #302 on: June 29, 2017, 05:05:43 AM »
If Burnley are willing to offload Andre Gray to buy Rodriguez then I'd far rather we buy Gray!

Sure i read in a paper that Gray wants £100,000 a week at Burnley :o. He is currently on £25,000. Thats probably why they want rid.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2017, 06:29:46 AM »
I think £12m was expensive for a player going into the last year of his contract at 28 with no sell on value and as such £14m is too much. I don't want to the club to waste money because there is no evidence that the new owners are going to spend beyond the clubs means so every pound matters.

Obviously Rodriguez is a long term Pulis target and therefore while we might have alternatives they won't be signed because Pulis will veto them. The extra two million here or there quickly adds up to a player like Charlie Taylor. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #304 on: June 29, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »
Sure i read in a paper that Gray wants £100,000 a week at Burnley :o. He is currently on £25,000. Thats probably why they want rid.

He might want £100k/week but he won't get that anywhere and I don't think Burnley pay anyone more than £40k/week currently.

But we could afford to pay him £70k/£75k and at a fee of around £10m with resale value that would be a pretty decent deal for us.

Raymond John

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #305 on: June 29, 2017, 08:30:56 AM »
Unwanted fourth choice striker from a club we allegedly are in competition with for a lower top-half place.   Ummmm maybe a better player but rather reminds me of the Anichabe signing.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #306 on: June 29, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
I like him and think he's an ok striker at this level but I'm also sceptical about how he'd fit in under Pulis. He doesn't seem very physical and you could potentially see him shoe-horned out wide if things went south which wouldn't be good. Hopefully he's used with Rondon, similar to how Vardy and Okazaki are used at Leicester.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #307 on: June 29, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »
More excited about this than the Deeney connection thats for sure
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #308 on: June 29, 2017, 09:28:48 AM »
More excited about this than the Deeney connection thats for sure
+1,take out Deeney's penalty's and he's bang average and no better goal scorer than Rondon

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #309 on: June 29, 2017, 09:40:11 AM »
I'd take nigh on anyone over Deeney at £30m, but I am hoping that link has fizzled out.

I am now at the point whereby, much as I would have love for him to have left in May, I have accepted that TP will have to be in charge next season, unless he chooses to leave and completely leaves us in the pooh prior to the start of the season. With this in mind, if he is going to pick him, and hopefully his injuries are behind him, I would like to see us get this one over the line asap and begin to address the full back/creative midfielder problems.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #310 on: June 29, 2017, 09:40:16 AM »
If he is coming then he will have to get past a West Brom medical, and I for one am thankful that we have an excellent team in place for that. We could have been saddled with a right turkey from West Ham if it had not been for them.

I am sure they will be very thorough with his cruciate......
MAGA!

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #311 on: June 29, 2017, 09:59:03 AM »
If he is coming then he will have to get past a West Brom medical, and I for one am thankful that we have an excellent team in place for that. We could have been saddled with a right turkey from West Ham if it had not been for them.

we dodged a massive bullet there.

we also have a good record of getting the best out of players with a history of injuries.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #312 on: June 29, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »
Unwanted fourth choice striker from a club we allegedly are in competition with for a lower top-half place.   Ummmm maybe a better player but rather reminds me of the Anichabe signing.

What!? Im sorry but have you ever seen Rodriguez play? That comment has completley threw me.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
What!? Im sorry but have you ever seen Rodriguez play? That comment has completley threw me.
Providing we can keep him fit JR will do well here IMO , decent finisher which we lack.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #314 on: June 29, 2017, 11:33:23 AM »
He's a very talented lad. Injuries are the only issue with him for me, if we are confident he is over the worst then get him in, we are crying out for some technical ability and goal threat.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #315 on: June 29, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
The fact he did not play much last season is very positive in some ways, should allow full recovery from his cruciate injury.
Baggie in Southampton

Raymond John

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #316 on: June 29, 2017, 01:03:20 PM »

Without some explanation from you I do not know what it is about my comment that has thrown you.
As regards me seeing Rodriquez play, the answer is in the affirmative thus I was able to, at the very least, imply that imo he is a better footballer than Anichiebe.    The point of my comment was not to compare the merits of the two players but the similarity of the transfers, assuming that is Rodriguez joins us.  Both are or were fourth choice striker for their clubs both of which we currently are in the case of Southampton and were at the time in the case of Everton, competing with for a similar position in the league table. 

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #317 on: June 29, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »
I know the prices have gone up and up, but I still think £14 million for an injury-plagued forward who has never set the world alight at this level is far too much. We could go abroad and pick up a player of his level for half that, and probably less wages, which would allow us some wriggle-room on other deals.

He isn't a bad player, but even in the inflated market today, I don't think he's a £14 million player.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #318 on: June 29, 2017, 01:15:27 PM »
I know the prices have gone up and up, but I still think £14 million for an injury-plagued forward who has never set the world alight at this level is far too much. We could go abroad and pick up a player of his level for half that, and probably less wages, which would allow us some wriggle-room on other deals.

He isn't a bad player, but even in the inflated market today, I don't think he's a £14 million player.

We could, but we won't.

Pulis loves a 'tried and tested' Premier league player
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #319 on: June 29, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »

Rather him than £35m Deeney, or 'I'm not as free as you think I am' Defoe........

I hope we get him to be honest.
MAGA!

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #320 on: June 29, 2017, 01:52:06 PM »
A fully fit jay Rodriguez will be an outstanding signing. Will improve the first xi. It's keeping him fit that will be the main thing.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #321 on: June 29, 2017, 02:09:54 PM »
Can't believe some are turning their noses up at this potential signing. He's a very good technical player who knows how to finish and is good with his feet.

I'd argue we'd need to update our tactics and system to accommodate however as he's not exactly a target man. Although that tactic hasn't really worked for our current strikers either so not sure why we persist with it

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #322 on: June 29, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »

Do you mean that would have been worse than the donkey we had from Everton or the mule we had from Liverpool
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #323 on: June 29, 2017, 04:35:32 PM »
Can't believe some are turning their noses up at this potential signing. He's a very good technical player who knows how to finish and is good with his feet.

I'd argue we'd need to update our tactics and system to accommodate however as he's not exactly a target man. Although that tactic hasn't really worked for our current strikers either so not sure why we persist with it

It's all our head coach knows, sadly.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »

Probably because he's injury-prone, way overpriced and 4th choice for a club we are supposed to be in direct competition with.

Add in the fact that he is not a Pulis-type striker and would probably be less effective than Rondon when he's getting balls lumped at his throat and the thought of spunking 1/3 of our transfer budget on him doesn't make me jump for joy.