Author Topic: The best you have felt leaving a football ground  (Read 15853 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

The best you have felt leaving a football ground
« on: October 26, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »
for some reason the game we beat Liverpool at home when Brunt  scored the 2 penalties, cock a ooop all the way back to the car i was
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

Re: The best you have felt leaving a football ground
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:04:29 AM »
The play-off semi, 2nd leg, against Swansea. I think that kind of atmosphere has sadly gone forever. Just glad I was there to experience it and take it to my grave.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 08:11:39 AM »
Wembley 1968.
Nothing can really displace the feeling.
We were under the cosh most of the game, but Jeff scored that goal in the 93rd minute.
Everton had beaten us 6-0 earlier in the season, QPR had beaten us at Wembley in1967, so it really meant a hell of a lot walking out after the final.

mutchisman

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:33:42 AM »
Being pedantic here Droitwich but the Everton Score was 6 - 2  (4 from Whittle, 2 from Ball and 2 from Collard for The Baggies) I was at The Hawthorns that day but sadly not at Wembley :(

There gave been a few down the years - any time we beat the Villa but especially when we beat them with 10 men 3 or 4 seasons ago - magic.

A midweek 5 th Round FA Cup win at The Baseball Ground in 78 was pretty special,

Valencia was great also but for an amazing atmosphere I go along with others and say Swansea,it was electric that night

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »
Beating the seals after Scharner's winner!

And to top it all off, they did a slow-mo zoom in of me, my Dad and brother celebrating the goal on the highlights :D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:42:30 AM by east-stand-nick »

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 09:10:57 AM »
Being pedantic here Droitwich but the Everton Score was 6 - 2  (4 from Whittle, 2 from Ball and 2 from Collard for The Baggies) I was at The Hawthorns that day but sadly not at Wembley :(

There gave been a few down the years - any time we beat the Villa but especially when we beat them with 10 men 3 or 4 seasons ago - magic.

A midweek 5 th Round FA Cup win at The Baseball Ground in 78 was pretty special,

Valencia was great also but for an amazing atmosphere I go along with others and say Swansea,it was electric that night
The baseball ground 78 was a cracker, 3-2, I think?  I also think that's when Regis ate a banana that was thrown at him, which John Barnes copied soon afterwards and got all the credit for.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »

Cheers for that...Too many years ago for us old 'uns to remember everything.  lol

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
Cheers for that...Too many years ago for us old 'uns to remember everything.  lol

I remember my dad, who was normally pretty restrained, absolutely losing it when Alan Ball spat at the Brummie Road during that game. Revenge was sweet  ;D

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
Swansea was without doubt the best, the whole thing from the atmosphere to the actual result, knowing it was going to be my first trip to Wembley.

I have never heard the ground like it before or since, was amazing.

The Palace and Pompey games obviously stand out too, the Wolves 3-2 with Bradleys screamer but aside from that, for some reason when we beat Wolves 2-0 in the mid 90's, i think Super Bob with a diving header and Peggy Ashcroft scoring stands out, back then Wolves had all the money and we were the peasants so victory was sweet, nowadays its just routine!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 11:01:52 AM »
Great escape, rewrote history.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 11:21:57 AM »
Great Escape. Although the Palace game came very very close but I always pick Pompey due to reasons outside of football.

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 12:30:16 PM »
Palace game, will never get better unless we win a cup
Baggie Terra

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 03:58:57 PM »
The Great Escape by far.

The promotion winning games were obviously special too, loved the Southampton game, when Brunty smashed the equalizer in we went absolutely nuts... what a feeling!

wolverhampton baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »
FA cup v Derby 1978 I was there...it was 1-1 when I got in the usual A38 traffic problems, amazing night
Born and bred in Dudley

mutchisman

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »
The baseball ground 78 was a cracker, 3-2, I think?  I also think that's when Regis ate a banana that was thrown at him, which John Barnes copied soon afterwards and got all the credit for.
qoute from WolverhamptonBaggie

"FA cup v Derby 1978 I was there...it was 1-1 when I got in the usual A38 traffic problems, amazing night"

Yes it certainly was a great night it was meant to have been played on the Saturday but it got snowed off and played on a Tuesday I think. I left work early to get the train and missed all the traffic problems. Willie was unstoppable on the wing. Next round we put Forest to the sword ( I won't mention the semi).

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
FA cup v Derby 1978 I was there...it was 1-1 when I got in the usual A38 traffic problems, amazing night
Did you leave early? Or were you late getting in? I had trouble getting in because the police couldn't cope with the crowd. It was a weird ground. At the back of our end, you could reach up and touch the ceiling. It was a good atmosphere though. :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

wolverhampton baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »
Re Derby 1978-late getting in, I was on terrace at side, dreadful view so low down. I think Bruce rioch scored for them to make it 3-2, to this day I've never seen a direct free kick hit with such ferocity!!
Born and bred in Dudley

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 09:33:18 PM »
5-5 vs Man Utd
3-2 away at Sunderland
3-0 away at Southampton
4-1 away at Everton
1-0 vs Villa (when we played most of the match with 10 mem)

All awesome days of football

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 09:45:10 PM »
Re Derby 1978-late getting in, I was on terrace at side, dreadful view so low down. I think Bruce rioch scored for them to make it 3-2, to this day I've never seen a direct free kick hit with such ferocity!!
I can still clearly remember trying to see anything at all on the pitch, it was like looking out of the slot on a pillbox.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 01:30:14 AM »
Swansea was without doubt the best, the whole thing from the atmosphere to the actual result, knowing it was going to be my first trip to Wembley.

I have never heard the ground like it before or since, was amazing.

The Palace and Pompey games obviously stand out too, the Wolves 3-2 with Bradleys screamer but aside from that, for some reason when we beat Wolves 2-0 in the mid 90's, i think Super Bob with a diving header and Peggy Ashcroft scoring stands out, back then Wolves had all the money and we were the peasants so victory was sweet, nowadays its just routine!

Great night under the floodlights.
I was sat about two seats from the partition in the Smeth'.
A truly 'belting time' was had that night.
 ;).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 09:05:51 AM »
Plenty I can mention for the best ever;

3-0 away at W*lves when we took the Southbank, absolute p*ss take of a day from start to finish!
Palace at home to clinch promotion.
The Great Escape.
The two games v QPR in the Championship winning season, beating them 5-1 at home with some belting goals and then winning the league at Loftus Road.
Beating the Vile at the seal sanctuary the first time when Scharner scored the winner.

The best for me was the 5-1 away at Molineux. It will be a very, very long time until we get another scoreline like that against the W*lves or the Vile. Absolutely incredible to come away from the custard bowl having humiliated them. Andrews getting a goal made it even sweeter ;D
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 10:23:16 AM »
Easily the 5-1 at Molineux. I think the majority that were there that day knew exactly what would happen to them after that result.

Special mention for the 3-0 FA Cup game at Molineux with us all in the Southbank, the look on the neanderthal faces in the lower corner of the Steve Bull stand as we were lording it over them from their own seats was priceless. Then they couldn't get anywhere near us so decided to trash their own City afterwards.

When we beat Arsenal at the Emirates under RDM. Missed a penalty, went 3 up playing some great football and even though we were hanging on a little at the end it was great to know we fully deserved the 3 points after largely outplaying them.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »
When we beat Arsenal at the Emirates under RDM. Missed a penalty, went 3 up playing some great football and even though we were hanging on a little at the end it was great to know we fully deserved the 3 points after largely outplaying them.

Forgot about this one, definitely one of my favourites. I can remember a number of our fans being in absolute disbelief that we were 3-0 up at the Emirates!
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:12 AM »
I remember a few matches in the 90s where we beat Norwich 5-1 and QPR 4-1 within a month. They were pretty decent matches.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
A great one was beating Liverpool 2-1 in a QF replay in 68. We'd drawn 0-0 at home and then 1-1 at Anfield with the King equalising. Irritating the second replay was played on a Thursday night at Maine Road (not exactly equidistant) but about 20,000 of us (many skiving) went up and made a fierce racket. We deservedly won 2-1 against a very, very good Liverpool side with - who else - the King and Chippie Clark scoring. You really began to believe it was our year after that. A great night.