Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 446758 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1025 on: December 20, 2014, 05:55:25 PM »
No doubting that James Morrison should have gone years ago but Mulumbu has hardly been setting the world on fire either with his appalling distribution of the ball and constant giving away of free kicks. He had a chance against Newcastle and was diabolical so it doesn't surprise me that Morrison has got an extended run in the side. Even when Irvine opted to give Yacob a chance he let himself down by getting sent off.

Our central midfield is something which needs addressing in the summer.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1026 on: December 20, 2014, 06:14:14 PM »
I don't agree Liam with your criticism of Mulumbu. He's been a monster for us for years and deserves our support. He was no where near as bad as you make out against Newcastle and needs a run in the team to get to his best.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1027 on: December 20, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »
I don't agree Liam with your criticism of Mulumbu. He's been a monster for us for years and deserves our support. He was no where near as bad as you make out against Newcastle and needs a run in the team to get to his best.

Mulumbu has been a very good servant and is a good player, there is no doubting that. He has been given opportunities this season most notably against Newcastle and Bournemouth and failed to impress in either. He can have no complaints that he is sitting on the bench.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1028 on: December 20, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »
He was awful and rightly dragged off after a pathetic attempt at stopping the  cross for the 2nd goal , that said it's hard to perform straight away after a while out.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1029 on: December 20, 2014, 06:46:10 PM »
Mulumbu has been a very good servant and is a good player, there is no doubting that. He has been given opportunities this season most notably against Newcastle and Bournemouth and failed to impress in either. He can have no complaints that he is sitting on the bench.
hes no poorer than the others who play week in week out, for years ive always thought as our midfield being our strong point,  now it seems like our weakest, the likes of brunt and Morrison should have been replaced last season not given 3 yr extentions in brunts case.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1030 on: December 20, 2014, 06:47:07 PM »
Mulumbu was awful when he played against Newcastle but was rusty as hell. A superior player to Morrison overall, showed signs of getting back to his old self when he last played. Deserves a run.

If we pay a midfield with Mozza and Dozza in against Man C. i dread to think what the score will be.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1031 on: December 20, 2014, 06:48:51 PM »
Morrison was very poor today but its the same Morrison who had his best game in a long while against Villa last week.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1032 on: December 20, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »
Morrison was very poor today but its the same Morrison who had his best game in a long while against Villa last week.
best game yes but nothing above what you would expect from an experienced player at this level, just highlights how poor hes been by putting in a standard display
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:04:58 PM by caravanc58 »

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1033 on: December 20, 2014, 06:57:17 PM »
Mozza, Dozza and Brunt are well past their best and played together we will always struggle to win games. Gardner isn't a great improvement on them either. We need a midfield general. Our best spells at this level have come with both Mulumbu and Yacob paired behind an attacking 3.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1034 on: December 20, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »
Mulumbu may not be what he has been in the past but I think he's still got i in him and I'd rather see him and Yacob than Morrison.

Also don't get me wrong - I used to love Morrison (and Dorrans and Brunt) but I think those three are way past their sell-by. Sorry.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1035 on: December 20, 2014, 07:34:30 PM »
Should not play both Morrison and Dorrans in this system one or the other as Morrison is the choice for his country i would have to go with him.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1036 on: December 20, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »
Should not play both Morrison and Dorrans in this system one or the other as Morrison is the choice for his country i would have to go with him.

I agree with this neither of them are tough enough to control midfield. We really are missing Mulumbu's strength in Midfield.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1037 on: December 20, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »
One good game then another 6 or 7 average ones at best. Midfield needs a complete shakeup in the Summer with Brunt and Dorrans also being moved on or replaced in the starting selection by better quality. All great servants but the time comes when all have to be replaced.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1038 on: December 20, 2014, 10:45:32 PM »
Could it be our head coach is playing him sitting in front of the back 4? He is never that type of player.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1039 on: December 20, 2014, 10:55:44 PM »
One good game then another 6 or 7 average ones at best. Midfield needs a complete shakeup in the Summer with Brunt and Dorrans also being moved on or replaced in the starting selection by better quality. All great servants but the time comes when all have to be replaced.

Agree. It's just not good enough to have a player as first choice who puts in one decent performance now and again and then is anonymous for most others. People have commented he played well last week against Villa but I wonder if it would have been the same if against 11 men?

Surely there must be a player in the reserves that can come in and break up this dominance of a midfield of similar types of player. Cue next week a midfield of Morrison, Brunt, Dorrans and Gardner.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1040 on: December 21, 2014, 12:31:45 AM »
Great servant to the club like brunt but needs to be a squad player not a starter. Looked a liability today
O Albion we love you

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1041 on: December 21, 2014, 06:26:45 AM »
There are a lot of clubs out there looking for a "midfield General" Mulumbu has been our for many years and it worked (in the most) so much so that even Arsenal were looking at buying him for a reported £10 million.  Give him game time and let JM have the Dorrans role!
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1042 on: December 21, 2014, 10:20:24 AM »
There are a lot of clubs out there looking for a "midfield General" Mulumbu has been our for many years and it worked (in the most) so much so that even Arsenal were looking at buying him for a reported £10 million.  Give him game time and let JM have the Dorrans role!

Agreed re Mulumbu, but his partnership with Yacob worked brilliantly and Yacob is nowhere to be seen.

A spine of Foster, Lescott/McAuley, Mulumbu/Yacob and Berahino gives us something very solid indeed.

Add in Wisdom, Poc, Sess, Varela and ONE of Gardner/Brunt/Dorrans/Morrison and it looks very different.   However we are continually playing with at least 3 and sometimes all 4 of Gardner/Brunt/Dorrans/Morrison,  and that's not good enough for the Premiership.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1043 on: December 21, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »
we are continually playing with at least 3 and sometimes all 4 of Gardner/Brunt/Dorrans/Morrison,  and that's not good enough for the Premiership.

Spot on. This is doing my head in when Yacob and Mulumbu are on the bench.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1044 on: December 21, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
Gone from being the best player against Villa to putting in that disgraceful performance. Of course that's Irvine's fault somehow.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1045 on: December 21, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »
I'm just going to put myself in the minority here and oppose what everybody is saying. Firstly, I think he, Gardner and Dorrans were poor yesterday BUT overall I think he's a great player to have on the pitch. I don't think he always passes sideways or backwards and I do think he's a player that shores up the midfield very well.

He's quick-footed and his one touch passing is excellent.

I do think however that Dorrans, Gardner, Brunt and Morrison should never start together. I'd much rather see him in the middle of an attacking 3 of Sess and Varela. Stick Mulumbu and Yacob behind. I think he'd be effective in that midfield.

joeymayo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1046 on: December 22, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
Gone from being the best player against Villa to putting in that disgraceful performance. Of course that's Irvine's fault somehow.

Obviously Brunt did not play so JM becomes the scapegoat.

I tend not to look at this board because there is so much negativity surrounding certain players, I make my own analysis from viewing the game, however I was not at QPR so was restricted to what I saw, like many others, on TV.

Yes he held his marker, like so many others, unfortunately he was the unlucky one who got caught. But for the other goals he had no input as to their execution, unlike Poco who was the main protagonist with the second and third.

Another thing I like to do is take an unbiased opinion, that would be the press, who give their own individual assessment and JM in most opinions started brightly and faded as the game went on and overall averaged a mark of 6 out of 10.

Other players were marked lower but they don't seem to be berated on here, the obvious one is Dorrans who has been nothing short of embarrasing for some weeks now.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1047 on: December 22, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »
Ive always liked Morrison in terms of his playing ability, just at times he seems off form. But then that goes for 95% of our team.

If I had to pick who to start between him and Dorrans, I would probably play Morrison if im honest.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1048 on: December 22, 2014, 12:50:18 PM »
In regards to the last two posters, i'd agree, Dorrans has been below par for a while now, he's got himself in good positions only to fluff his passes/crosses/shots. I don't see me as using him as a scapegoat because he's actually one of my favourite players but i think he should be dropped.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1049 on: December 22, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »
The whole midfield is much of a muchness, none are better or worse than any others whether that be Morrison, Dorrans or Brunt. Gardner started off slightly better but recently has dropped below those standards. Its not any particular one of them thats needs dropping its all of them. They ALL give the ball away at times not just one or two of them.

The axis needs to be returned to Mulumbu and Yacob with then one of Gardner, Morrison, Dorrans or Sess beyond the striker and Varela on the left with Brunt or Sess on the right