Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718429 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #1350 on: April 11, 2019, 12:27:34 AM »
25,000 plus fans will watch Alex's interview with club come Saturday, no pressure there then.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1351 on: April 11, 2019, 01:34:19 AM »
It's Irvine all over again. Cannot believe we're going to pass up Jokanovic.

Only the Albion.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1352 on: April 11, 2019, 02:26:25 AM »

Only the Albion.

It's probably another case of us penny pinching. Jokanovic would want considerably more than Neil. At least we haven't gone for the old guard, though I would have liked us to have persuaded Big Sam to join us until the end of the season. A big promotion bonus would surely have tempted him.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1353 on: April 11, 2019, 03:10:57 AM »
At least there's talk about appointing someone outside of the club. If it is Neil then good luck to him, it'll be a baptism of fire and the way the team are playing it'll be a miracle to get promoted.
I hope the suits and the fans give him time next season as  there will be a huge change of faces in and out of the club.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1354 on: April 11, 2019, 06:50:30 AM »
At least there's talk about appointing someone outside of the club. If it is Neil then good luck to him, it'll be a baptism of fire and the way the team are playing it'll be a miracle to get promoted.
I hope the suits and the fans give him time next season as  there will be a huge change of faces in and out of the club.

Wonder if his old Norwich player Hoolahan will re appear in the match day squad

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1355 on: April 11, 2019, 06:52:09 AM »
25,000 plus fans will watch Alex's interview with club come Saturday, no pressure there then.
Read a funny tweet from  PNE hoping that we beat them 8-0 and that Neil spends the whole game in a Wolves shirt!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1356 on: April 11, 2019, 07:10:01 AM »
Ideally the new manager should be appointed with about 3 games  plus the play-off to go. I reckon with this squad we will get a 5 game new manager bounce and we want those games to include the play-offs. Appointing anyone earlier will mean the new manager bounce will have expired before we get to the play-offs. Or better still we appoint a new coach every 5 to 6 games.

I am past caring who is in the dug out I feel sorry for whoever it is. They are caught between the fan's expectations and the inability of the board to deliver those expectations with a squad which is frankly a mess but one which is a very expensive mess relative to the club's resources.

Alex Neil would be mad to accept it, it is a poision challace and the last few games with this squad are not going to be a happy expereince for any coach. Purely from the manager's perspective starting with a clean sheet would be far better.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1357 on: April 11, 2019, 07:20:34 AM »

Only the Albion.

If they do appoint Neil I’d be surprised if many fans renew season tickets before the deadline.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:02:38 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1358 on: April 11, 2019, 07:46:16 AM »

If they do appoint Neil I’d be surprised if many fans renew season tickets before the deadline.

Well they should.

I don't want Neill, personally I'm in agreement with Jacko (for a change  ;D) the timing and situation is right for Jokanovic.

However, if Alex Neill does become our manager then I will back him and I will be back at the Shrine next season to do so. At the end of the day I'm Albion and whoever is in charge I'll still be there living in hope and cheering my club on.

To be honest I expect everyone else to do the same.

Albion till I die!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:02:50 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1359 on: April 11, 2019, 08:13:40 AM »
My only issue with appointing any manager at this particular times is if we don't get promoted.
I think as fans we might be even less forgiving next season if we're not off to a flyer from the start.
Why not get the first choice candidate in now, whoever that might be, give him the Summer to recruit and move on as he see's fit and take it from there?
No disrespect to Neil but if Jakanovic is the first choice candidate then the board should make a statement of intent and go for him.
For the record I'd have taken Pearson
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1360 on: April 11, 2019, 08:17:43 AM »

Only the Albion.
Not sure about Jokanovic, he seems to see himself as a bit of a big time Charlie.

If it is Neil, lets hope he's the next Eddie Howe not the next... whatwashisnameagain?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1361 on: April 11, 2019, 08:33:09 AM »

Only the Albion.
Are we sure Jokanovic hasn't passed on us ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1362 on: April 11, 2019, 08:34:34 AM »
Just looking at the table and Preston's current position. They are currently 8 points off the promotion spots.

If we beat them on Saturday, dependant on the result of the Villa - Bristol game, they could pretty much be out of the running for the play offs, which may make tempting him into the job easier.

However if Preston win and say the villa game is a draw, they would only be 6 points off the play offs with 12 points to play for, I could see Preston still digging their heels in letting him go.

I'm literally at the stage now were I just want a manager in place asap. I think the most telling thing for me that the club are actually acting on getting a manager in, is the fact Shan still hasn't brought in any help. If I was Shan and I knew I had the next few weeks/remainder of the season I would have brought at least one coach in for sure.

The fact that hasn't happened makes me think the club may be closer to getting a new man (and his staff) in.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1363 on: April 11, 2019, 08:35:35 AM »
Are we sure Jokanovic hasn't passed on us ?

I have a feeling he may end up back at Fulham.

As others have said, he was one of my main choices, however for this squad to play his way would have taken a lot of ins/outs and money to be spent, money which the club probably wouldn't guarantee him.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1364 on: April 11, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
We seem to be assuming that Jokanovic is available. He may not be [for whatever reason], or he is but he does not want to join us as he is going elsewhere in the summer. You can throw as much money as you want at him but if he does not want to come then we cannot do anything about it.

I think I heard somewhere that he was going back to Fulham in the summer. I have no idea where that has come from but it would/could explain why he is not coming to us, or anyone else for that matter.

MAGA!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1365 on: April 11, 2019, 08:56:26 AM »
I think Neil's a solid appointment, could turn out to be a very good one if the fans give him time. Not many coaches manage to survive and excel at this level in their 30s, hes clearly got some pedigree about him and an ability to learn quickly. Who knows what hell do with a decent squad and some cash? I personally think he'll do a good job given time/backing.

Get him in Albion.
We certainly won't find out if he comes here because he'll have neither  :)

I don't think he's a bad choice to be fair but I think he's on a hiding to nothing. If we go up, but are bottom by Christmas, he'll be gone, if we stay down and are not top 2 by Christmas he'll be gone. As fans we have little patience and the board have no clue, so can't see any long term project being given the time needed to succeed. If we couldn't do it for Moore, who was one of our own, I can't see us doing it for Neil.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1366 on: April 11, 2019, 08:56:49 AM »
I'm past caring about who's name is on the Manager's office door, each option out there with the exception of Neil has been sacked and out of work so no particular name excites me. If its Neil and the players buy into his philosophy then he will be as good as any name out there surely? We (social media mob) are already writing him off before he has even held talks.
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1367 on: April 11, 2019, 09:11:13 AM »
We certainly won't find out if he comes here because he'll have neither  :)

I don't think he's a bad choice to be fair but I think he's on a hiding to nothing. If we go up, but are bottom by Christmas, he'll be gone, if we stay down and are not top 2 by Christmas he'll be gone. As fans we have little patience and the board have no clue, so can't see any long term project being given the time needed to succeed. If we couldn't do it for Moore, who was one of our own, I can't see us doing it for Neil.

I think the fans would have the patience if we had a board that would set out a plan for two, three or however many years then appoint a manager who they think can implement that plan then give him the money to do the job.
At the moment we don't have a plan to buy into and we don't have a board that is capable of setting out a plan.
The best that they can come up with is a fans forum that will help them decide what price to charge for crisps.
Until we get another owner don't expect miracles.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1368 on: April 11, 2019, 09:15:57 AM »
I just hope if it is Neil, he has the backbone to clear out a lot of the 'deadwood' in the summer and doesn't back down to the more senior players who should be replaced.

If he can come in and move out some of the stale players and bring in some fresh faces, people who buy into what he will be looking to do then hopefully he can do a good job for us.

If is does end up being Neil.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1369 on: April 11, 2019, 09:32:18 AM »
Below list of players Alex Neal acquired while at Norwich, there is enough quality there to show he does recognise a quality player,  a few strange ones as well but there always will be I guess.
How he would fund acquisitions is an interesting dilemma as our current squad has little residual value now.
I also have reservations about "style" as Norwich fans seem to feel he went less and less expansive as things deteriorated in the prem.

I struggle to see what would attract him to B71 rather than PNE currently, (irksome as it is to say this) we seem to be a club in decline while PNE are relatively static, seems a strange "ambition" to me.

1   Timm Klose   Â£9.90m
2   Steven Naismith   Â£9.90m
3   Robbie Brady £8.91m
4   Alex Pritchard £8.46m
5   Yanic Wildschut £7.38m
6   Nélson Oliveira £5.27m
7   Graham Dorrans £3.69m
8   Ivo Pinto £3.33m
9   Matt Jarvis £3.06m
10   Sergi Canós £2.70m
11   James Maddison £2.39m
12   Andre Wisdom Loan fee:£1.62m
13   Tony Andreu £1.20m
14   Jordan Storey £765k
15   Louis Moult £460k
16   Billy Bodin   Â£405k
17   Graham Burke £315k
18   Ryan Ledson ?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:40:32 AM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1370 on: April 11, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
I just hope if it is Neil, he has the backbone to clear out a lot of the 'deadwood' in the summer and doesn't back down to the more senior players who should be replaced.

If he can come in and move out some of the stale players and bring in some fresh faces, people who buy into what he will be looking to do then hopefully he can do a good job for us.

If is does end up being Neil.
I've done some reading about his past managerial experience and don't believe he's the type to suffer fools. He appears to be a good man manager who gets on well with players but doesn't take any nonsense. Those who liken him to AI are wide of the mark. We would do well to get Neil but he would need time to sort things. Even if we were promoted this season we all know that we'd struggle next. I think he could well be the man to rebuild us which ever division we are in. For me, if we can just scrape into the PL this season the finance that would give us would give the financial stability needed to redevelop our squad.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1371 on: April 11, 2019, 09:46:09 AM »
Penny pinching yet again!

Well I will as I think that it would be a reasonable appointment.

It has to be better than the one of the 'dinosaurs' currently unemployed, and definately better than Mr Bung, so I am all for it. Neil is young, ambitious, has been in this position before and is currently doing quite well with PNE. I am struggling to see too many other candidates that would a) want the job, b) would be up to the job, and c) who we can afford. At least it would not be an internal appointment so in a way it does tick all the boxes.
MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1372 on: April 11, 2019, 09:49:13 AM »
Below list of players Alex Neal acquired while at Norwich, there is enough quality there to show he does recognise a quality player,  a few strange ones as well but there always will be I guess.
How he would fund acquisitions is an interesting dilemma as our current squad has little residual value now.
I have reservations about "style" as Norwich fans seem to feel he went less and less expansive as things deteriorated in the prem.

I struggle to see what would attract him to B71 rather than PNE currently, (irksome as it is to say this) we seem to be a club in decline while PNE are relatively static, seems a strange "ambition" to me.

1   Timm Klose   Â£9.90m
2   Steven Naismith   Â£9.90m
3   Robbie Brady £8.91m
4   Alex Pritchard £8.46m
5   Yanic Wildschut £7.38m
6   Nélson Oliveira £5.27m
7   Graham Dorrans £3.69m
8   Ivo Pinto £3.33m
9   Matt Jarvis £3.06m
10   Sergi Canós £2.70m
11   James Maddison £2.39m
12   Andre Wisdom Loan fee:£1.62m
13   Tony Andreu £1.20m
14   Jordan Storey £765k
15   Louis Moult £460k
16   Billy Bodin   Â£405k
17   Graham Burke £315k
18   Ryan Ledson ?

didn't he also sign Mulumbu on a free as well?
 I agree that it is generally a list of decent quality players (for Norwich...no disrespect intended)and I certainly wouldn't be against his appointment.
 I don't see much difference between him and Jokanovic when you look at their management achievements in the Championship/EPL. Both have got teams promoted and both struggled in the EPL. Jokanovic does have an overall better win percentage of 46% against 44% for Neil.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1373 on: April 11, 2019, 10:01:39 AM »
I also have reservations about "style" as Norwich fans seem to feel he went less and less expansive as things deteriorated in the prem.

1   Timm Klose   Â£9.90m
2   Steven Naismith   Â£9.90m
3   Robbie Brady £8.91m
4   Alex Pritchard £8.46m
5   Yanic Wildschut £7.38m
6   Nélson Oliveira £5.27m
7   Graham Dorrans £3.69m
8   Ivo Pinto £3.33m
9   Matt Jarvis £3.06m
10   Sergi Canós £2.70m
11   James Maddison £2.39m
12   Andre Wisdom Loan fee:£1.62m
13   Tony Andreu £1.20m
14   Jordan Storey £765k
15   Louis Moult £460k
16   Billy Bodin   Â£405k
17   Graham Burke £315k
18   Ryan Ledson ?

Aside from Maddison, that is a very worrying track record.

Not that he'll have any money to spend here.

I'm desperate for him to turn us down, this will be a disaster.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1374 on: April 11, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »

Already renewed mine doesn't matter to me who the new Manager is. It's never going to be as bad as when Pulis was here the only time i  ever questioned having a ST.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:04:21 PM by LiamTheBaggie »