Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 727427 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #1325 on: April 10, 2019, 03:33:48 PM »
Given the "management" will run with Shan and we are likely to make scrape into the play offs, I can only think of one name who has previously stepped in for a short term with success,
Ladies and Gents I give you SGM.

Whom I would also task with sorting out the disruptive, manipulators in the dressing room but thats another subject.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1326 on: April 10, 2019, 03:39:07 PM »
Ladies and Gents I give you SGM.

Non starter, SGM and Jenkins despise each other. He won't be back and nor should he be; that is the past; Move on.

It amazes me how our fans fail to move on from the same tired names in these types of situations.

We even do it during transfer windows for players as well, hoping that we'll get that player we were once linked with 4 windows ago when they were actually any good.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1327 on: April 10, 2019, 03:40:52 PM »
Non starter, SGM and Jenkins despise each other. He won't be back and nor should he be; that is the past; Move on.

It amazes me how our fans fail to move on from the same tired names in these types of situations.

We even do it during transfer windows for players as well, hoping that we'll get that player we were once linked with 4 windows ago when they were actually any good.

I am absolutely not advocating SGM for the job, I am saying for a 2/3 game stint during the playoffs,
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1328 on: April 10, 2019, 04:06:18 PM »
In the unlikely event that Megson did come back for 2/3 games and playoffs and won them, then supporters would want him to stay- setting us back about ten years.

Whoever takes the job, if anyone at all, if they get to playoffs and win it, there is no way you can’t give that bloke the job in the premier

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1329 on: April 10, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »
In the unlikely event that Megson did come back for 2/3 games and playoffs and won them, then supporters would want him to stay- setting us back about ten years.

Whoever takes the job, if anyone at all, if they get to playoffs and win it, there is no way you can’t give that bloke the job in the premier
That's why we may as well stayed with DM. If we had failed in the play offs, then start afresh with a new bloke, if he won them then he achieved his goal and deserved a crack at the Prem. He did ok last time he managed there after all.
To sack when we did and do nothing makes no sense at all to me, neither practically or financially, as we will have to pay him off therefore, it's cost us money to end up in a worse position with even less chance of promotion.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1330 on: April 10, 2019, 04:39:20 PM »

Why would it set us back 10 years??  ??? Getting promoted back to the Premier League at the first attempt and therefore increasing our chances of being sold by Mr. Lai to someone who is remotely interested is hardly a setback! What WOULD set us back 20 years is staying with this current shambles of a situation and fester in this division (and possibly worse) for possibly another 16 years like 1986-2002. Getting Megson in now would unite 99% of the fan base and create as much of a feel good factor (not to mention a superb atmosphere) as it would be possible to get for the vital last few weeks of the season. I said exactly the same in this thread on March 19th, over 3 weeks on and in my opinion it is still the best solution.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1331 on: April 10, 2019, 04:40:23 PM »
Not sure how many times it needs saying. Gary Megson hates Mark Jenkins and will never work for him.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1332 on: April 10, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »
Not sure how many times it needs saying. Gary Megson hates Mark Jenkins and will never work for him.
Certainly not the first person then  ;D

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1333 on: April 10, 2019, 04:52:05 PM »

I know that but who is to say that it cant be Jenkins that is sent packing by the Chinese instead to make way for a favoured managerial appointment be it Megson or someone else? After all, he is the faceless, useless, incompetent individual with absolutely no idea of running a football club who has got us in this atrocious mess in the first place. If Lai wants any return on his investment in the future be it through a sale or re-establishing ourselves in the Premier League then Jenkins should be the first out of the door. Whoever is appointed, we all know that under Jenkins' influence then it will always be the cheapest option.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1334 on: April 10, 2019, 04:59:37 PM »
Whoever the next manager is he must have no affiliation to the Albion in the past. This love in with past players and past managers as got to stop.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1335 on: April 10, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »
In my view, the most important person at a football club, on the playing side, is without doubt the Manager / Head Coach.

But for reasons known only unto themselves, our board appear to be in a state of paralysis on making an appointment or confirming the unfortunate Shan in post until the end of the season. The board are incapable of communicating with the fanbase, which is also baffling, as if they got us onside, I’m sure we would back them come hell or high water, even if it wasn’t the most popular appointment, to be included and have a sense of belonging would buy a hell of a lot of goodwill for them.

My choice is obvious, Jokanovic, but I would be open minded, at the other end of the footballing philosophy style continuum, to welcoming Big Sam, if appointed. Right now we just need a leader and motivator ASAP.

I think ever possible scenario, regarding obstacles to appointing a Head Coach has been raised, discussed and answered on this thread by other members, but our board who are paid considerable amounts of money for decision making have been found wanting.

It is so frustrating, my plea to the board would be, please, acknowledge the fanbase, we don’t necessarily want specifics, as we understand that may compromise commercial sensitivity, just give us an indication of your vision and the direction you are taking us, simples!

But an old adage comes to mind “He who hesitates is lost” boy do we need a search party right now and badly

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1336 on: April 10, 2019, 09:34:01 PM »
I just want to make some points about James Shan.

I guess he could've turned down the opportunity to be Interim Manager.  So fair play for having the balls to do it.

What I am disappointed with is the lack of emotion and passion from the touchline.  Last night every time the cameras panned onto Lee Johnson he was animated with his players, arguing with the 4th official etc.  In essence, he outwardly showed he cared.  Ask most fans and they'd want the manager to be animated.

Before people say he's inexperienced and essentially a youth coach, I want to make the point that Mourinho was an interpretor whilst Bobby Robson was managing Barcelona.  All managers have to start from somewhere.  Alex Ferguson mellowed when he went beyond 60.  We are talking about Shan aged 40.  If you are not vocal at that young age for a Manager you never will be. 

Whatever his team talks are before matches, our players look unprepared at the start and often look extremely sluggish in the first 15 minutes or so.  This could be a showcase opportunity for him to show his credentials as a future Manager at the Albion or lower down the pyramid.  He looks every inch a Youth Coach.  Taken it by the scruff of the neck he hasn't.  As long as he is contented....

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1337 on: April 10, 2019, 09:44:26 PM »
I just want to make some points about James Shan.

I guess he could've turned down the opportunity to be Interim Manager.  So fair play for having the balls to do it.

What I am disappointed with is the lack of emotion and passion from the touchline.  Last night every time the cameras panned onto Lee Johnson he was animated with his players, arguing with the 4th official etc.  In essence, he outwardly showed he cared.  Ask most fans and they'd want the manager to be animated.

Before people say he's inexperienced and essentially a youth coach, I want to make the point that Mourinho was an interpretor whilst Bobby Robson was managing Barcelona.  All managers have to start from somewhere.  Alex Ferguson mellowed when he went beyond 60.  We are talking about Shan aged 40.  If you are not vocal at that young age for a Manager you never will be. 

Whatever his team talks are before matches, our players look unprepared at the start and often look extremely sluggish in the first 15 minutes or so.  This could be a showcase opportunity for him to show his credentials as a future Manager at the Albion or lower down the pyramid.  He looks every inch a Youth Coach.  Taken it by the scruff of the neck he hasn't.  As long as he is contented....

How animated the manager is means absolutely nothing. There's plenty of great managers who are reserved on the touch line and plenty of terrible ones who spend the entire game screaming.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1338 on: April 10, 2019, 09:58:03 PM »
JS didn't look passive to me, I saw him shouting instructions.

Lee Johnson was arguing with the officials.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1339 on: April 10, 2019, 10:09:54 PM »
How animated the manager is means absolutely nothing. There's plenty of great managers who are reserved on the touch line and plenty of terrible ones who spend the entire game screaming.

Thanks for that.  There doesn't seem to be much charisma and the players clearly are not motivated.  The team is just limp.  He just doesn't look up for it.  Really there were 2 choices; politely turn it down as he sees himself as a youth coach / grasp it with both hands and go at it hammer and tongs. As previously stated, doors get opened for people in life and this is one of these instances.

Just seen that QPR have taken a point from the Den, something we couldn't manage.  Also, Wigan took a point from Ashton Gate, something we couldn't manage.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1340 on: April 10, 2019, 10:14:17 PM »
JS didn't look passive to me, I saw him shouting instructions.

Lee Johnson was arguing with the officials.

Shan looks detached to me, as was Pardew and Moore, nothing seems to be delivered with any conviction.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1342 on: April 10, 2019, 10:54:09 PM »
Percy just tweeted we are approaching Neil for the job after the game on Saturday.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1343 on: April 10, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »
Probably wanted him all along and just waited 6 weeks for this fixture to come around to do it in person to save the money for a stamp or a phone call.

Beefy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1344 on: April 10, 2019, 11:05:48 PM »
West Brom ready to offer Alex Neil the managerial reins at the Hawthorns #wba https://t.co/haJUroKVUQ via @telefootball

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1345 on: April 10, 2019, 11:09:29 PM »
Probably waiting for Preston being out of the play off running and then going for him.

Hopefully he'll have been studying us and our weaknesses in anticipation of taking over and will give us the discipline to do well in the play offs.

He is the one I wanted from day one, got Norwich up then Preston just missed out on plays offs last season on a very small budget.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1346 on: April 10, 2019, 11:18:49 PM »
Feels a bit underwhelming to me, he did a good job at first with Norwich getting them promoted but then they got relegated easily and he did poor attempting to get them back. Getting Preston mid-table is decent job all in all but its a fair way off mounting a promotion challenge. If he played good entertaining football it'd be interesting but he seems to be yet another functional manager who will keep flogging the dead horse of the squad we have.

Whole thing has the feel of an Alan Irvine type appointment. Once again it stinks of a lack of ambition or any kind of progressive thought behind the scenes - like they've gone down the list of clubs in the championship to find the highest positioned club with the manager we could easiest get.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1347 on: April 10, 2019, 11:26:31 PM »
NOt overly keen but we need anyone who is a proper manager fast.

mini gaardsoe

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1348 on: April 11, 2019, 12:03:23 AM »
Poor guy, will come in, get a handful of games, end up getting beat by Villa twice in the playoffs and everyone will turn on him.  :D

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1349 on: April 11, 2019, 12:26:23 AM »
Get a proper manager in and get MP and GB fit and we have a good chance in the play offs imo, stick with what we have now and we have very little chance.