Author Topic: Michael Appleton  (Read 52529 times)

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

Re: Michael Appleton
« Reply #150 on: April 26, 2019, 10:16:15 AM »
I don't see this as a positive at all. I genuinely don't think this will impact our promotion chances either way. It looks like desperation from the board to me.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2019, 10:17:37 AM »
Should be our manager.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2019, 10:33:14 AM »
Good coach but Reid and Appleton should have been brought in weeks ago, when we had the chance of automatic promotion. This is all on Jenkins if we fail to get promoted as that was his brief.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »
Why? Why is the club obsessed with people previously connected with the club. What can he do at this stage without undermining
Shan. Does Brunt approve of this? Bloody fiasco
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2019, 10:51:36 AM »
Should be our manager.

What has Appleton done to suggest he should be our manager?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2019, 10:53:15 AM »
Time will tell. We now have a few guys who know the club really well especially when we were in better shape (in and around the Ashworth time). Also, I think Reid and Appy seem to have 'character' and some bigger game experience (more so than Shan) so it might help in the bigger games to come? Of course, we could end up with the three of them wanting to be head coach too (Shan, Reid and Appy!) but let's stay positive today and hope it works out short and longer term. I do see this as a longer term coaching team now, that is unless we absolutely fall apart from now on..............?

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »
I'm with you mate, but it has taken a long time for them to squeeze him back in ,and for no apparent reason, so expect him to stay.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #157 on: April 26, 2019, 10:56:15 AM »
We get rid of Moore because supposedly Jones was pulling the strings, so then we bring in someone with more experience than Shan.
To me it's an old pal's act with Jenkins and another cheap option.
How far off the bottom of the barrel are we know?

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »
We have 4-5 games left, what harm can it do? Anything that may be perceived as a help has to be a positive doesn't it, he may only bring one or two ideas to the table but that may be all that is needed. Why knock it just for the sake of it? Lets worry about next season once this ones out the way!!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2019, 11:25:47 AM »
Why? Why is the club obsessed with people previously connected with the club. What can he do at this stage without undermining
Shan. Does Brunt approve of this? Bloody fiasco
It does say that it was Shan who contacted him though. Can't see the club insisting on Appy without Shan's consent, but nothing would surprise me with Jenkins.
It does seem strange for him to want someone with a far better CV and genuine ambition to manage the club. Maybe Shan just doesn't want it, long term? Can't say i blame him, he watched what happened to Moore first hand.
If it works, great, can't say I'm not worried that it could be a case of too many cooks though.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2019, 11:31:07 AM »
the players probably like him, he knows the club, and he's cheap - easy really :D
nothing against Appy but for me all those are the wrong reasons - we need a complete change of direction
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2019, 11:33:04 AM »
It does say that it was Shan who contacted him though. Can't see the club insisting on Appy without Shan's consent, but nothing would surprise me with Jenkins.
It does seem strange for him to want someone with a far better CV and genuine ambition to manage the club. Maybe Shan just doesn't want it, long term? Can't say i blame him, he watched what happened to Moore first hand.
If it works, great, can't say I'm not worried that it could be a case of too many cooks though.

If tat's the case it's groundhog day, as it was Moore who wanted Jones.
I think Appleton is OK for the play offs, but i think most of us realise the significance of the appointment.
The club under Moore wanted to go down the family road.
Well with Appy, Reid and Shan, thats the Albion family.
That is the one that will be here next season.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2019, 11:42:44 AM »
I think the 'Albion family' route as you put it could work provided the whole playing squad is overhauled and the board buy-in to a longer term rebuild. They talked this game last summer but didn't walk it and left Moore with the same ageing squad (maybe his choice although we had no DoF for months so Moore was fighting fires with many players wanting out) and loads of short term loans for a quick fix tilt at getting back up.

Most of us I'd say want to see us start a long overdue (strategic) rebuild by saying goodbye the older guys , some who served us well. Fostering some promising kids and signing some fresh guys who see us a good club to be at. Ideally, we;d even have midfielders who can pass and carry the ball again!?

Will Reid, Appy and Shan being the older player's mates help or hinder that process? Or am I thinking more than 3 games ahead which our board don't seem to do these days?

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »

He used to kick a ball for us 20 years ago, cheap as chips and will be on first name terms with the senior pros as soon as he comes in.

I’ve never known such a tinpot football club in my life.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2019, 01:14:14 PM »
Can't say im inspired by the choice, but as others have said, its not surprising. He's done nothing in a managerial role previously to make me think he could take over the reins here, and be successful. Does smell of a typical cheap job by Albion. Whatever happens at the end of the season this clubs needs a huge shake up from top to bottom. But with the 'Old guard' still running the show I dont hold out much hope.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2019, 01:24:29 PM »
Very cheap, very short-term,very Albion.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »
Very cheap, very short-term,very Albion.
Who else could we have got to come in as an assistant to a complete novice? Hardly going to attract the likes of Mourinho or Wenger is it?
having committed to Shan for the rest of the season, I'm surprised we've even got someone with Appleton's experience.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2019, 02:10:19 PM »
We get rid of Moore because supposedly Jones was pulling the strings, so then we bring in someone with more experience than Shan.
To me it's an old pal's act with Jenkins and another cheap option.
How far off the bottom of the barrel are we know?
Just because you (and others) keep saying this repeatedly does not make it true. Perhaps you can give us real evidence that this was the case.
Bottom of the barrel? Really??
Are we not paying our players a la Bolton?
Have we got the most expensive Championship squad that looks toothless and could have 'done a Wolves'?  (Stoke)
Are we one of several clubs facing possible sanctions over our financial affairs?
I think a sense of proportion is needed....

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2019, 02:16:08 PM »
Christ, more alumni and this one definitely has more experience than Shan, so the next question is who is actually in charge?

This club is almost criminally small time. Sacking Moore only to end up with this shambles is beyond the pale.

NEXT PERMANENT MANAGER MUST NOT HAVE PLAYED OR COACHED AT THE CLUB PREVIOUSLY.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2019, 02:18:33 PM »
Who else could we have got to come in as an assistant to a complete novice? Hardly going to attract the likes of Mourinho or Wenger is it?
having committed to Shan for the rest of the season, I'm surprised we've even got someone with Appleton's experience.

Pointless appointment. You are not seeing the bigger picture and the 2 examples listed are ridiculous. There are better candidates out there but the pussy footing around after the sacking of DM was unforgivable. This is just silly. JUst a gesture so that the board can say they tried.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2019, 02:21:53 PM »
He's here for a few games guys, to help out. Relax.

It's at the end of the season you want to all start getting your knickers in a knot when it comes to appointing our new head coach. Now that DOES fill me with dread.

Appy helping out Shan - Meh!

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2019, 02:27:44 PM »
He's here for a few games guys, to help out. Relax.

It's at the end of the season you want to all start getting your knickers in a knot when it comes to appointing our new head coach. Now that DOES fill me with dread.

Appy helping out Shan - Meh!

Exactly, its not a major issue for me. Bring in someone that Shan has worked with before, that he can bounce tactical ideas off. Not likely to have a negative impact and he knows a lot of the players already so maybe can help get the message across to the players

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2019, 02:30:01 PM »
Or, he comes in, undermining Shan, treating it as a 5 week interview...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »
'Too many cooks spoiling the broth' situation coming up.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2019, 03:24:19 PM »
Pointless appointment. You are not seeing the bigger picture and the 2 examples listed are ridiculous. There are better candidates out there but the pussy footing around after the sacking of DM was unforgivable. This is just silly. JUst a gesture so that the board can say they tried.
What's the bigger picture then oh wise one? The two names were deliberately silly but who is out there that would have come in to work under Shan?