Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 635667 times)

socalbaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #600 on: September 04, 2012, 05:23:03 PM »
Im on this forum quite a lot and read pretty much every article on Albion so can someone tell me what he has done wrong with any proof?

Because tbf Divine you have just called him a bad egg at the club because of rumours.

I think maybe just reffering to this and just his constant out in out in attitude. Don't get me wrong he needs to play and should not be sold unless a PROVEN 15 goal scorer is brought in!

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-b PRromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2012/09/03/peter-odemwingie-thought-about-leaving-west-brom-in-summer-97319-31757344/

PETER Odemwingie concedes that he considered leaving West Bromwich Albion during the summer.

The Baggies striker was subject of speculation over his future during the close season, with Qatari club Al-Gharafa making an unsuccessful bid for the player.

But Odemwingie - who denied any suggestions of a summer bust-up with Steve Clarke - claims the West Brom boss actually convinced him to stay at B71.

The Nigeria international said:“I don’t know where that (reports of a bust-up) came from.

“People would have seen afterwards if there was a problem.

“We sat down and had a normal talk. He was the new coach and he said ‘give me a few weeks and see how we work, because we’re ambitious for this year’.

“I said I would give it a couple of weeks and after that I was enjoying training and it looked like it was going to be an interesting season, so I forgot about the offer."

He continued: “I thought there would be nothing new for me at West Brom and I gave it a try (asked about leaving) to see what would happen.

“But the club said that it was too early for me to go and they thought I could play an important role for them and keep playing.

“Then pre-season started and I got hungry again for Premier League action and I forgot about it.”

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2012/09/03/peter-odemwingie-thought-about-leaving-west-brom-in-summer-97319-31757344/#ixzz25WCnQT9J

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #601 on: September 04, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »
Only through what has been reported by Pete himself or his agent.

There was i recall a fan from this site who met Pete in a service station after a game against Wigan,and was blanked by him(Pete) and told to go away by his minders.

If you watch his body language in games it's all about him,not the team.If he misses a chance his head goes down and he mopes for a few minutes.

To be fair though that was a great ball against Everton.

I am Albion through and through and no player is bigger than this club,so if i see the best squad we have had since 1978 in danger of being disrupted i get annoyed.
Aren't we paying Steve Clarke to keep harmony in the ranks. And i bet 80% of al PL footballers would blank their supporters in the same situation. They are what they are. Very highly paid blokes with inflated opnions of themselves
Don't call me Walt

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #602 on: September 04, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »
Peter Odemwingie has a team of minders to get petrol, wow, I wouldn't base your opinion of him on what a stranger writes on a message board.

Odemwingie is an approachable and extremely polite bloke based on accounts that I trust.  The stuff about it being all about him and his head going down is your opinion, but one I don't agree with.
"This crack is really moreish."

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #603 on: September 04, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »
For all we know Chris Brunt or anybody else may have thought about leaving this summer, only difference is Pete come out and told us. Jonas Olsson definately thought about leaving so whats the difference. The bit about Wigan if true is not nice at all and Im not going to stick up for him and say he's a footballer and that because that doesnt excuse rudeness to a fan who has travelled away.

But I cant see how that one instance can make him a bad egg at a club, everything else are just rumours with no substance at all in my opinion.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #604 on: September 04, 2012, 06:14:50 PM »
I don't know why people get so wrapped up in these news reports and other rumours. Fact is that PO is one of the most influential players at the club. Without him I doubt we'd still be playing at this level. As long as he keeps producing whilst on the pitch then that is all that counts IMO.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #605 on: September 04, 2012, 06:30:49 PM »
The game changed when he came on Saturday in my opinion.

wbarich

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #606 on: September 04, 2012, 06:54:31 PM »
What annoys me is the welcome we gave him was better than that given to any player in our history.
At the end of that season he had scored 15 goals and asked for a better contract.Fair enough,i don't begrudge him that,no one has scored that many goals for us in the prem.

So he signs another contract,4 years was it,then towards the end of that season he starts becoming disinterested again and there were rumours,and i say only rumours of our players not getting on with him and a dust up with SC.

Now the window has shut and he knows he is stuck here until at least January,he has said he wanted to move all along,which proves that there was unrest,but say's it was because he didn't know if he could perform at this level,which i think is rubbish.He wants more money,he might as well say it.

Now,i think he will put a shift in so as to sell himself to another club,so be prepared for more of this in January or next summer.

Personally,if he is on form i would play him,but i would search out a replacement for him the sooner the better.

This guy is one bad egg.

Good Albion player yes,Albion hero,never.

I feel sorry for people like Brunt and Long who work hard for the team and have never asked for a move,and yet get continually picked on by some of our fans,while Mr Odemwingie can't be talked about.

Totally agree! Wait and see what happens when January transfer window opens! I'm afraid he isn't the GOD that many think he is on here!

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #607 on: September 04, 2012, 07:16:40 PM »
Totally agree! Wait and see what happens when January transfer window opens! I'm afraid he isn't the GOD that many think he is on here!

Give me just one example of anyone on here who thinks PO is a god?  ::)

up_the_baggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #608 on: September 04, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »
Give me just one example of anyone on here who thinks PO is a god?  ::)

Godemwingie? ;D

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #609 on: September 04, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »
The January Window: Newspaper will create rumours using quotes from a Nigerian papers uncle's daughter claiming to be from Peter Odemwingie to unsettle Pete and sell their papers.

Maybe we shouldn't believe them and just concentrate on keeping Pete at the club. He was given a deserved new contract last season as a reward for his very good performances. During the summer he wanted to try something new and asked about a transfer. The answer was no, he's got his head down and continued playing for the club. No dramatics like handing in a transfer request and refusing to play. He's got his head down and played a vital part in our opening two home fixtures.

The fact people can call Peter Odemwingie a bad egg on very little foundation is at best strange to be honest.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:34:11 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #610 on: September 04, 2012, 07:33:13 PM »

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #611 on: September 05, 2012, 12:53:15 AM »
I hope he stays and has the hunger he says has returned. We shall see.

Why do some of you though get so uppy and end over backwards to defend players who treat us off handedly and with a total lack of respect.

Would you react to a slap in the face or say  "sorry mate"?
The way I see it the people who defend Odemwingie aren't bending over backwards at all, it's the people who slag him off who are bending over backwards. The defenders don't have to put much effort in at all, defending him is very easy as there's very little evidence of Odemwingie being the horrible person that his 'critics' make him out to be. His 'haters' seem to be constantly searching for any little angle to have a go at him, any vantage point they can snipe from, any dubious rumour they can choose to believe, anything he does or says that they can completely twist around to be something negative... When that article was published on Monday they must have wet themselves in excitement as they now had some fantastic ammunition to use against him, pure gold, words straight from the horse's mouth that they can morph into any shape that matches and suits their views. Why do they do it? Are they just negative and cynical people? Are they gullible and have that opinion because they believe all the groundless rumours and accusations about him? Does drama and scandal excitement them, something which a renegade player would provide? Any reason could be consciously or subconsciously, but whatever the reason is, I can't understand why they're are so hell-bent on making him out to be as detestable a person as they can. There's no logic to it.

Maybe not, but I'm afraid however much you want him to be he isn't the DEVIL that many think he is on here!

To the 'Odemwingie is a bad egg' crowd, is there any chance that you're reading that article and instead of seeing what's written, you're seeing what you want to see? You think he's a bad egg so you want to see him saying something in the article that proves that he is, problem is he didn't, but that doesn't matter because you can twist his words so in your mind he did.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:55:02 AM by Kicking Pigeons »

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #612 on: September 05, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »
In a way its a shame that we spend so much time debating the loyalty of what for me is one of our best ever players, and I go back to the 70,s. Wish we would spend a bit more time debating how we might get the best from him in this new look squad because one thing is for sure he is not the only great striker we now have, which he probably was when he arrived. Just my opinion.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #613 on: September 05, 2012, 10:05:41 AM »
And the opinion of many other fans too.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #614 on: September 05, 2012, 10:08:19 AM »
Agreed.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #615 on: September 05, 2012, 10:46:16 AM »
Having read the article it seems to me that he was concerned that at his age he couldn't perform at a high enough level for us. Steve Clarke has obviously reassured him that he can and that's that.
 I don't understand the "he lacks committment" etc comments from some people....it appears he didn't want to playing for a side he couldn't perform for...that sounds like a decent honest player to me.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #616 on: September 05, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »
End of the day... He's here, he is playing well and has been vital for us and that's all that matters really. There are days at my work I seriously consider maybe finding another job due to circumstances etc but I guess it's human nature. Let's just enjoy Pete whilst we have him! We got him for a bargain fee he has repayed more than 10 times over.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #617 on: September 05, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
Look people, Odemwingie is not God......

........... He's better than God.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #618 on: September 05, 2012, 02:15:19 PM »
He's thirty-ish, a "rootless cosmopolitan citizen" with no strong connection to WBA, or for that matter, the UK.  He/his agent obviously had some tentatative contact about a semi-retirement package in the middle east to set him up for life, but nothing happened, so he's stayed for now.  He won't be a top line player for much longer, so let's just make the most of him this season.  Fine by me.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #619 on: September 05, 2012, 06:04:56 PM »
Seems to me like a lot of Albion fans are very keen to play down the importance of Peter Odemwingie to us, why this is I don't know.

I don't think I'm breaking any rules by saying this, if I am then it will get removed and I'll take my punishment from Phil (:o) ... no doubt people will laugh this off but it's just something I've noticed. Peter wouldn't be the first black / mixed race striker we've had at the club that a number of fans just don't like. Now I'm not saying Albion fans in general are racist, but it's something I've noticed especially from the older generation - the younger generation seem a lot more accepting of Pete in my opinion. It seems to me that unless a black / mixed race player runs around like a headless chicken (Mulumbu for example), he is pigeon holed as the "lazy black lad".

Just think about how many players of this description have, at some point or another, been labeled this way. Odemwingie, Jerome Thomas, Nathan Ellington, Luke Moore, Somen Tchoyi, Ishmael Miller, Jason Roberts, Diomansy Kamara, to name a few. Even Fabien de Freitas still gets mentioned, out of all the dross we had in the 90's why him? Now some of these players may deserve to be labeled lazy, but as I said it's just something I've noticed. Whether this is intentional, unintentional or just that these players fail to live up to the high standards set by the Three Degrees decades ago, I really don't know.

And before anyone bangs the "PC gone mad" drum, I am far from being the kind of person who is offended by everything in the world so let's not go down that road. It's just an observation and I'm entitled to express it.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #620 on: September 05, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »
Seems to me like a lot of Albion fans are very keen to play down the importance of Peter Odemwingie to us, why this is I don't know.

I don't think I'm breaking any rules by saying this, if I am then it will get removed and I'll take my punishment from Phil (:o) ... no doubt people will laugh this off but it's just something I've noticed. Peter wouldn't be the first black / mixed race striker we've had at the club that a number of fans just don't like. Now I'm not saying Albion fans in general are racist, but it's something I've noticed especially from the older generation - the younger generation seem a lot more accepting of Pete in my opinion. It seems to me that unless a black / mixed race player runs around like a headless chicken (Mulumbu for example), he is pigeon holed as the "lazy black lad".

Just think about how many players of this description have, at some point or another, been labeled this way. Odemwingie, Jerome Thomas, Nathan Ellington, Luke Moore, Somen Tchoyi, Ishmael Miller, Jason Roberts, Diomansy Kamara, to name a few. Even Fabien de Freitas still gets mentioned, out of all the dross we had in the 90's why him? Now some of these players may deserve to be labeled lazy, but as I said it's just something I've noticed. Whether this is intentional, unintentional or just that these players fail to live up to the high standards set by the Three Degrees decades ago, I really don't know.

And before anyone bangs the "PC gone mad" drum, I am far from being the kind of person who is offended by everything in the world so let's not go down that road. It's just an observation and I'm entitled to express it.

Sorry mate but you are barking up the wrong tree there, I can add Paul Wiiliams, George Reilly, Micky Evans even Shane Long who have had the same or get it now.

Its just a football fan thing, all players have fans who knock them, Utd fans have a go at Rooney, Liverpool fans have a go at Suarez, etc etc etc

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #621 on: September 05, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »
Sorry mate but you are barking up the wrong tree there, I can add Paul Wiiliams, George Reilly, Micky Evans even Shane Long who have had the same or get it now.

Its just a football fan thing, all players have fans who knock them, Utd fans have a go at Rooney, Liverpool fans have a go at Suarez, etc etc etc

Shane Long is rubbish though... ;D :-*

Mickey Evans was equally as dire as de Freitas yet never gets mentioned. Although maybe that's down to his excellent timekeeping skills!
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #622 on: September 05, 2012, 06:57:25 PM »
 :D bellend

Ally Brown used to get stick as well if I remember

kc56wba

• WBA Coach