Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 635627 times)

michaelwh

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #350 on: July 18, 2012, 10:16:49 AM »
PO wants to go or rather his agent wants him to go,same thing though to the club.PO is nothing but a disruption every transfer window.Add this to fact that he only played 25 prem games last season with a return of 10 goals(a good strike rate it has to be said)However take out the goals against the wolves and 6 goals in a season isnt very good.Also at the age of 31 he aint getting no younger for a striker.Also last season he had a questionable injury which suddenly cleared up after RH questioned it in the press. SELL SELL SELL

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #351 on: July 18, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »
PO wants to go or rather his agent wants him to go,same thing though to the club.PO is nothing but a disruption every transfer window.Add this to fact that he only played 25 prem games last season with a return of 10 goals(a good strike rate it has to be said)However take out the goals against the wolves and 6 goals in a season isnt very good.Also at the age of 31 he aint getting no younger for a striker.Also last season he had a questionable injury which suddenly cleared up after RH questioned it in the press. SELL SELL SELL

Can't say I agree mate. In Odemwingie we have a potential match winner everytime he steps on the pitch. "Take out the hatrick at Wolves" ! Why? This was a great achievement and I'm sure it will be many years before and Albion player matches it. Of the other 6 goals - Blackburn, Liverpool, QPR away? 7 points but to name a few. Also his performance against Newcastle away in which he scored - then set up the winning goal!
He cost us around 2 mil.....................why should we sell a player of his caliber - even at the age of 31! We may be offered around 4-5 mil if we're lucky - then we only have Long and need to find areplacement at fairly short notice. Will his replacement gel to in team, and is Long ready to shoulder the responsibility.?
Dangerous game in my opinion and one which could well back fire. My guess is he will still be worth 2 mil at the end of the season - then is the time to consider!

michaelwh

« Reply #352 on: July 18, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »
There is no doubt to POs  talent.on his day a proven match winner,however I can envisage those days becoming fewer and fewer.Last season it took all the guile,cunning and experience of Roy Hodgson to get PO to start performing.Is Steve clark able to do that or even willing to play the mind games needed to stroke POs ego long enough to get him fully motivated.The longer the club put up with the antics of PO and his agent the worse things will become.Also what effect does the increasing melodrama that is Peter Odemwingie have on the rest of the squad.

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #353 on: July 18, 2012, 11:33:36 AM »
There is no doubt to POs  talent.on his day a proven match winner,however I can envisage those days becoming fewer and fewer.Last season it took all the guile,cunning and experience of Roy Hodgson to get PO to start performing.Is Steve clark able to do that or even willing to play the mind games needed to stroke POs ego long enough to get him fully motivated.The longer the club put up with the antics of PO and his agent the worse things will become.Also what effect does the increasing melodrama that is Peter Odemwingie have on the rest of the squad.

I understand your point. However, only Steve Clark can prove weather or not he can get the best out of Pete - only he can be the judge of that and deserves the opportunity to do so - I will back him whatever he decides. I can only state the facts.......does he cause a problem in the dressing room? Who knows. Was it evident last season? if so, I'll take another season please! This may well be his last season - and if SC needs to stroke is ego, or anything else in that matter! - if he does manage to get another 10-12 goals out of him this season, and other players chip in, we could well be looking at another solid season!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:39:44 AM by sconesy »

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #354 on: July 18, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
We have to keep Pete at all costs. He is the best striker we have had in modern times.

reynolc2

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #355 on: July 18, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »
Wot no Woodman ?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #356 on: July 18, 2012, 12:08:59 PM »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #357 on: July 18, 2012, 12:13:51 PM »
latest speculation related to Pete.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11698/7905852/Al-Gharrafa-bid-for-Odemwingie

This is yesterday's news.

The bid has already been rejected.

Keep up!! ;D

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #358 on: July 18, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »
I must admit I'm in two minds about Odemwingie. He's lazy, selfish, needs to learn the offside rule, and over a season probably wastes more chances than he converts.

If there was someone in the wings to replace him, I'd say let him go and cash in. But we do need someone lined up.

Could that be Shane Long? He scored eight in 24 last season, quite a few coming off the bench, whereas Peter managed ten in 25 - not too different. Is ten goals a good enough return when you think Danny Graham at Swansea managed 12 and Grant Holt at Norwich managed 15? Can Clark put instill some belief in Long?

For a club with ambition, I think on balance ten is not enough for your first choice striker. So with due thanks for a hat trick against Wolves, overall, I'd say tarra a bit, Pete.
Remember the past - learn from it

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #359 on: July 18, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »
Pete is the best striker we have had at this club in a long while, he has that air of unpredictability about him which none of our other strikers offer, and most of all he scares defenders.

Premier league defenders are scared of strikers who can run with the ball at pace and thats what PO does.

We'd be silly to sell him in my opinion.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #360 on: July 18, 2012, 12:44:55 PM »
I must admit I'm in two minds about Odemwingie. He's lazy, selfish, needs to learn the offside rule, and over a season probably wastes more chances than he converts.

If there was someone in the wings to replace him, I'd say let him go and cash in. But we do need someone lined up.

Could that be Shane Long? He scored eight in 24 last season, quite a few coming off the bench, whereas Peter managed ten in 25 - not too different. Is ten goals a good enough return when you think Danny Graham at Swansea managed 12 and Grant Holt at Norwich managed 15? Can Clark put instill some belief in Long?

For a club with ambition, I think on balance ten is not enough for your first choice striker. So with due thanks for a hat trick against Wolves, overall, I'd say tarra a bit, Pete.
Pete managed 15 in his first season.... same rules as these two. but that was cancelled by how many we conceded.if you don't concede you only need one goal to win. (hodgson's theory)

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #361 on: July 18, 2012, 12:46:56 PM »
Never understood this nonsense about being lazy (although considering people used to say it about Brunt, it seems people just prefer headless less talented chickens) he does a lot of running for the team, he's just intelligent about it so doesn't doggedly chase after the ball constantly just to appease the fans.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #362 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:19 PM »
Agreed, people who say he is lazy and doesn't work simply don't understand football whatsoever.
"This crack is really moreish."

sturb74

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #363 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »
Yeah lets get rid of Pete!! as I understand it (just like Sky Sports) He causes trouble every pre season and wants to leave, our top scorer 2 seasons on the trot whislt carrying numerous injuries (according to his last manager) so lets have a look at replacing him with another forward who has scored as many goals as he has in 2 season in the top flight.

Last Season
van Persie  30,  Rooney  27, Agüero   23, Adebayor   17,  Yakubu   17,  Dempsey 17, Ba 16, Holt 15,
 Džeko 14, Balotelli   13, Cissé   13,  Fletcher  12,  Graham   12,      Suárez, Luis  11, Defoe  11,
van der Vaart 11, Sturridge  11, Lampard   11,     Hernández,  10   Odemwingie   10

2010/11
Tevez  21/Berbatov  21/van Persie Arsenal  18/ Bent 17/Odemwingie   15/Carroll, 13/Campbell, DJ   13/
Hernández,  13/ Malouda 13/van der Vaart  13/ Kuyt  13/Drogba 12/Nolan United  12/Adam'  12/ 
Dempsey   12/ Rooney   11/Gyan  10/Lampard 10/Nasri   10/Pavlyuchenko Hotspur  10

So from that list if we take out players we have no chance of signing and the midfielders we are left with a small list of about 3 imo

Fletcher, (dingles are said to be quoting £12m) Never going to be sold to us (I wouldn't mind him though)
DJ Campbell, not good enough IMO and deffinatley no better than Pete
Holt, just signed new contract at Norwich, I don't really think he is all that, just another Marcus Stewart.
Graham, see Holt

So lets go and buy another unproven strike in the prem  cross our fingers close our eyes and hope for the best  because as you can see from the 2 list above Pete is in some shoddy compnay and should be sold ;)
.....Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #364 on: July 18, 2012, 02:19:52 PM »

Yes a first choice Striker who was forced out to the right wing and still made double figures.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #365 on: July 18, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »

Yes a first choice Striker who was forced out to the right wing and still made double figures.
Let me repeat: For a club with ambition is ten goals enough? I'm not looking for a fight here, just questioning whether he's good enough if we want to move forward. Dempsey got 17 for Fulham - shouldn't we be tryoing to match that, at very least?
Remember the past - learn from it

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #366 on: July 18, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »

5 of those goals came in 2 games, so in-between what was he offering us
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #367 on: July 18, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »
If we're to progress as a club then we need players like Peter Odemwingie on board. Regardless of his age, Pete oozes quality with the ball and although he may be selfish, he's a striker, and naturally, strikers are selfish and greedy. Pete for two seasons running has broke the 10 goal barrier and you would have to question where we would be if we didn't have him. Granted, his effort and application appeared questionable at times last season and he may have not hit the heights  he set himself the season before hand but how many did reach the standards they set themselves? Odemwingie was another shackled by Roy's demands and at times that showed, but he still had the quality to get us ten goals.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #368 on: July 18, 2012, 03:02:21 PM »
Isn't this a really simple situation, i.e. Pete is not for sale; full stop?

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #369 on: July 18, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
Every player is for sale for the right price. We don't want to let our best players go by any means but if the price is right and should they actually want to leave the club then there is a good chance they will go, its just the way football is these days.

We need to build as a club and that means improving on what we already have not by weakening the side.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #370 on: July 18, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »

I'll give Messi a call, tell him those games in which he scored braces and hatricks don't count, goal tally can only be substantiated when you score a single goal in any single game.  Never realised it worked like that - but thanks for clearing it up.
"This crack is really moreish."

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #371 on: July 18, 2012, 03:24:24 PM »

Funky hair styles
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #372 on: July 18, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »
He's not going to get any younger, so if we get offered silly money and he'd rather go and ponce around there instead of playing in a proper league, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #373 on: July 18, 2012, 04:57:29 PM »

That's a ridiculous thing to say

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #374 on: July 18, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »
if this cash rich club are really interested then quote them a figure end of. 10 million take it or leave it!!