Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1754938 times)

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #1175 on: July 03, 2014, 09:51:18 PM »
The club have made their positive message - they beat off a host of clubs to sign Joleon Lescott - a top quality, proven centre half in this division. They have also supported that by the steady addition of Craig Gardner.

We're a long way from panic stations as things stand.

The Lescott signing was about the only upbeat and positive thing we have had from the Club in the last dire 18 months plus.
Gardner is a decent squad player but we lost better in Jones.
As for the players recently linked with ? well, underwhelming is probably the mildest way of putting things !
Still time I suppose.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

baggiedave

• Newcomer

« Reply #1176 on: July 04, 2014, 07:43:24 PM »
Can't believe how frustrating it realy is being a baggie. When we signed Jolean Lescott, soon after Alan Irvines appointment, it gave you the up beat feel good factor, what a great signing this is. Since then, its been realy quite drab has'nt it realy.  Very disappointing, having missed out on Aaron Cresswell to West Ham, i'm not that confident now, that we can make it happen now. We are missing a quality left and right back, we just hav'nt got anything in the side at all. The reality is that we will be relegated before a ball is kicked. We desperately need 7 quallity players at our club, right back, left back, and a quality stricker, because the players we have, did not do it for us last season.At worst we need to bring in at least 4 more. Two backs, an attacking midfielder, and a striker. Jeremy Preace WAKE UP!!!!.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1177 on: July 04, 2014, 08:24:33 PM »
Can't believe how frustrating it realy is being a baggie. When we signed Jolean Lescott, soon after Alan Irvines appointment, it gave you the up beat feel good factor, what a great signing this is. Since then, its been realy quite drab has'nt it realy.  Very disappointing, having missed out on Aaron Cresswell to West Ham, i'm not that confident now, that we can make it happen now. We are missing a quality left and right back, we just hav'nt got anything in the side at all. The reality is that we will be relegated before a ball is kicked. We desperately need 7 quallity players at our club, right back, left back, and a quality stricker, because the players we have, did not do it for us last season.At worst we need to bring in at least 4 more. Two backs, an attacking midfielder, and a striker. Jeremy Preace WAKE UP!!!!.

Just a question for you? How will we be relegated before a ball is kicked?

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1178 on: July 04, 2014, 09:01:25 PM »
Just a question for you? How will we be relegated before a ball is kicked?

Through the power of negative thinking, Gerry!

I've been feeling quite doomy and have said plenty of negative stuff. Not gona help is it.

We SERIOUSLY need to do some astute signing this month. I don't think Cresswell would have been right for us at that price.

I've been quite anti-Peace lately. My new stance is as far as I'm concerned he has THIS season, and therefore THIS transfer market - because we only have one a year - to prove he is still right for us. Over to you, sir.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1179 on: July 04, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »
Through the power of negative thinking, Gerry!

I've been feeling quite doomy and have said plenty of negative stuff. Not gona help is it.

We SERIOUSLY need to do some astute signing this month. I don't think Cresswell would have been right for us at that price.

I've been quite anti-Peace lately. My new stance is as far as I'm concerned he has THIS season, and therefore THIS transfer market - because we only have one a year - to prove he is still right for us. Over to you, sir.

I too have been anti Peace lately as well! Im hoping we can pull something out of the bag! Next week needs to be quite big as we will be back in training and need to gel players for the pre-season.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1180 on: July 05, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
Some fans at clubs where Irvine has been manager before have said he was obsessed with analysing the opposition and then using tactics to try to counteract them, sometimes to the detriment of his own side. Consequently, the highlighted comment below might make some feel a bit edgy:

"We have a technical director in Terry and he will deal with a lot of things that would take a manager off the training ground – dealing with players’ contracts and with agents. These are all things that take you away from the most important job, which is working with players. They take you away from being able to analyse your own performance and analyse the opposition as thoroughly as you’d like to.

The title is head coach and the main part of the job is to coach, but you can’t coach the squad of players without being involved in their management."

Link: Express & Star

Let's hope the players don't end up too frightened to go out onto the pitch because of how wonderful the opposition has been made to look during the pre-match preparation!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 05:53:42 PM by WorcsWBA »

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1181 on: July 05, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »
Before every match, Tony Pulis shows his players video clips of all of their opposing players' weaknesses and mistakes. As if to remind his own players that the opposition are human, frail and prone to errors. i.e. don't believe the media hype.

Something we should adopt imo.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1182 on: July 08, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
see AI said that Morrison and Brunt will be missing for the start of Pre Season due to injury, Mozza knee and Brunty groin both had minor opps

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1183 on: July 08, 2014, 10:47:24 AM »
Before every match, Tony Pulis shows his players video clips of all of their opposing players' weaknesses and mistakes. As if to remind his own players that the opposition are human, frail and prone to errors. i.e. don't believe the media hype.

Something we should adopt imo.

How do you know we don't?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1184 on: July 08, 2014, 01:55:16 PM »
Just like Steve Clarke i am utterly bored already listening to him speak
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1185 on: July 08, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »
Well that's a nice fair start isn't it ? , I've seen your chants in the Alan Irvine section too ....at least give the bloke the chance to lose a few before getting at him.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1186 on: July 08, 2014, 04:51:25 PM »

Does a nice and passionate voice turn you on ?  :o

I could not give 2 tosses the way he speaks.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1187 on: July 08, 2014, 04:56:53 PM »
Just another boring scotsman whos punching above his weight because he come cheap.Hes out of his depth.No other premier league club and most championships clubs whould have  even given him time of day.I was correct about Clarke and i will be spot on about this one too
He will be gone by xmas
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:58:49 PM by WBAinDEVON »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1188 on: July 08, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »
Just another boring scotsman whos punching above his weight because he come cheap.Hes out of his depth.No other premier league club and most championships clubs whould have never even given him time of day
He will be gone by xmas
Maybe so and if i was a betting man i would go with your view but surely the least we can do is give the bloke a chance ? , JP picked him and in my view he hasn't picked a bad manager yet (yes even Robson/Great Escape). Irvine wasn't even in my top 20 choices but he is here and IMO we just have to get behind him and at least start positive ....if we lose most of the first 10 / 15 games then fair enough he will take the flack and most likely be gone but i'm certainly  not going to hound him out before he's had a fair chance . We were quick enough to laugh at Wolves and Villa for doing the very same thing in recent years.......
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:06:50 PM by Dexy »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1189 on: July 08, 2014, 05:05:25 PM »
Does a nice and passionate voice turn you on ?  :o

I could not give 2 tosses the way he speaks.
Was Brian Blessed on our list ? :)

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1190 on: July 08, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »
Just another boring scotsman whos punching above his weight because he come cheap.Hes out of his depth.No other premier league club and most championships clubs whould have  even given him time of day.I was correct about Clarke and i will be spot on about this one too
He will be gone by xmas

What an absolute disaster it'll be if we finish 8th with our records point tally for the premier league. Let's hope Irvine fail's that badly!

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1191 on: July 08, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
So then a question for those who think Irvine will be a disaster.

What will you people deem as been a success for him?

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1192 on: July 08, 2014, 06:24:17 PM »
I'm sorry but for all the 'positive publicity' spin the club seem to have been following up since this appointment from 'through thick or thin' slogans on Facebook for the launch of the to whisping Lescott in front of the cameras as quick as they could isn't really consoling me on the situation.

Thinking about it today really compounded the fact as much as Peace or Burton wan't to bang on about Irvine being "one of the best coaches around' doesn't really buy with me. Irvine is not even worthy of a Championship managerial role, let alone Premier League 'Head Coach'. Those of you that argue the point, 'well we do hire head coaches, not managers anymore' is a completely invalid viewpoint. Are you telling me the best of what's out there or even Tim Sherwood on that same note can't coach?

Of course not, so who's not to imply we should of taken the best manager out there and put them under a head coach role. All they have to focus on is the coaching? None of that transfer business to worry about. And thats where the problem lies because thats Peace's call, scrutinising every penny that is paid out of the club.

The head coach role would work if our Chairman didn't have to be so tight. It just so happens to be the falling block all the time. Whether thats bringing in the right quality player or coach, we seem to  too often just get second best.

From where I'm looking, it's Peace's dictatorship over the purse strings is why we've ended up with the 'Yes Man' puppet of a head coach to just coach and always accept the way things are.
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1193 on: July 08, 2014, 06:38:59 PM »

I think Irvine will be a disaster.  The only thing that can save him is good players, but there doesn't seem to be much action there at the moment.  I'm not on his case, I just have an opinion.

*Apparently* we used to break the season down into blocks of 10 games to enable us to judge performance.  This season I would say lets take the 1st 11 games.  (There's a couple of difficult ones after that, so I'm being kind.)  There's 7 peer teams in there, plus 2 we should be aspiring to compete with and 2 we wont be competing with.  So after 11 games I would like 15 points.  We will need to be around that level for the 1st 3rd (ish) of the season judging from our run in. 
- Anything less than 11 is abject failure. 
- Between 11 and 15, you make a judgement call on whether things are improving or going downwards. 
- 15 or more than you're on course or better.

11 games take us up to early November.  Make a decision then.  If we need to replace Irvine we can do our due dithering and get someone in before Christmas...

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1194 on: July 08, 2014, 06:49:19 PM »

Without doubt staying in the premier playing a watchable brand of football

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1195 on: July 08, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »
I was correct about Clarke and i will be spot on about this one too

No you wasn't correct at all.

Clarke reached his shelf life of around 18 months. About the going rate for managers/head coaches nowadays.

Unless you deem Steve Clarke guiding a side to 8th as failure?

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #1196 on: July 08, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »

Sorry cant agree he actually talks very well regarding his vision on football etc.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1197 on: July 08, 2014, 07:00:59 PM »
How many more times.Clarke came in on the crest of Roys wave, his surf went flat in the november and with the help of Lukaku and the rubbish below us we finished at the lofty height of 8th.
How many games from  November 2012 up to May 2013 did we win.The trend continued and he got sacked 6 months later.Irvine dont have the umph from the previous coach that Clarke had. We will see but my bet is Irvine will be gone by xmas

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1198 on: July 09, 2014, 01:53:57 AM »
Well, you never know, football is a funny game. But as things stand now we would need some major signings to come in to bolster the squad and the stars to align perfectly for Irvine to succeed. Irvine somehow has to create a team that knows how to win again. And as you say, doing so playing watchable football.

DownInAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1199 on: July 09, 2014, 02:45:18 AM »
How many more times.Clarke came in on the crest of Roys wave, his surf went flat in the november and with the help of Lukaku and the rubbish below us we finished at the lofty height of 8th.
How many games from  November 2012 up to May 2013 did we win.The trend continued and he got sacked 6 months later.Irvine dont have the umph from the previous coach that Clarke had. We will see but my bet is Irvine will be gone by xmas

I find it crazy how many of our fans give Steve Clarke no credit whatsoever for our highest ever premiership finish. when we finished 8th that season did everybody say it was down to RH? If anyone else can remember please tell me....

By your logic it wasnt Moyes that failed at Old Trafford he just inherited a bad team from fergie, Pochettinos good work at soton was down to adkins. for the first 6months (when we were actually playing well and getting points) Lukaku was on the bench and Clarke was probably a major reason why we got Lukaku in the first place down to his chelsea connections.