Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2550935 times)

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #425 on: October 18, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »
Tottenham seemed to sort out Andros Townsend's contract quite quickly since his rise of form.

And?

Spurs are in a completely different situation to us, being a much smaller club the agent of Berahino will be looking for a massive pay rise for his client using supposed interest from bigger clubs to try and pressure Albion. The agent of Townsend doesn't have anything like that to pressure Spurs, also how long have they been negotiating a new deal for Townsend in comparison to us with Berahino.

I'm confident a deal will get agreed but there is no major rush for us so I don't see the need to panic.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #426 on: October 19, 2013, 09:53:26 AM »
Hopefully, whilst talks continue, we are 'looking after him' will ex gratia reward payments for appearances and goals !!!!!!!!

He seems a level headed young guy but the power and pull of the so-called 'big four' clubs cannot be underestimated if they come calling so the sooner we can get him on a long contract the better - remember the players all talk when they are away on international duty and heads can easily get turned.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #427 on: October 19, 2013, 02:15:50 PM »
Januzaj contract negotiations tied up into a 5 year deal. These players all hit form at the same time as Saido. It's slow business as usual for us I'm afraid.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #428 on: October 19, 2013, 02:28:56 PM »
Januzaj contract negotiations tied up into a 5 year deal. These players all hit form at the same time as Saido. It's slow business as usual for us I'm afraid.
So your argument is based on two teams in Europe with insane amounts of money to throw at them and realistically teams the player cannot improve on and in Townsend's case the team he's always supported? Whereas the whole basis of why so many larger clubs are linked is because they can give Saido more money and price us out.

Not the greatest comparison is it? I mean what else was Januzaj supposed to do after breaking into one of the largest teams in the world? go to a worse one for less money and play with worse players while probably playing just as much?

devonbaggiecjaj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #429 on: October 19, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »

Too true, I seem to recall it was mentioned that he was in talks about a contract after the Newport cup game

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #430 on: October 19, 2013, 02:38:10 PM »
Well apparently, Townsend's near deal is only 16k a week, which for someone who's just launched themselves into the England starting line up and plays for Spurs is incredibly low. No reason to rush a contract and give him too big a contract too soon, he's got over 18 months left after all.

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #431 on: October 19, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »

Actually, United have been trying to sort a deal with Januzaj for a couple of months, so it's hardly quick business.

And as has been pointed out, Townsend/Januzaj are at a lot bigger clubs than us, Townsend and Januzaj in particular aren't likely to be able to join a bigger side than the one they are at.

A bit of patience is required, there was a similar fuss over McAuley and Mulumbu's deals in the summer and then they got done, plenty of time yet.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #432 on: October 19, 2013, 08:55:07 PM »
Did ok today in his most physical test so far , left Ridgewell a bit to open at times though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #433 on: October 19, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »
I thought today showed that he has a long way to go before he becomes the finished article.

Couldn't really get into the game and when he did receive the ball he couldn't effect play.

Today will be a good learning curve for him.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #434 on: October 19, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »
Agree with both of the above comments. I thought he actually showed decent strength in battling for and holding up the ball. Unfortunately didn't get much chance to lurk around the really dangerous areas.

Was always going to be a tough game, I personally would have gave him a rest but its a good experience for him.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #435 on: October 20, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »
He struggled to get into the game today and I think we have better for the wide left position in both Sinclair and Brunt. Would like to see him given his head up front from the bench in future matches. I'm certain he won't start at Anfield next week.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #436 on: October 20, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
On the verge of a call up to the upcoming friendlys according to the mirror today.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #437 on: October 20, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »
I think he did ok Yesterday I was surprised that Clarke had started him, and I felt he may have gone for Brunt. However it would be a very good learning curve for him and he would have gained some useful experience.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #438 on: October 20, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »
He was quiet yesterday. Although his pass for Sessegnon's first chance was sublime. A lot of out traffic went down our right side with Amalfitano, maybe we were targeting their left back, which created the illusion of Berahino not being in the game.

He's still raw. Like Lukaku was this time last season.

I suspect he is filling in for Sinclair at the moment, and would expect Sinclair to come in when he returns from injury.

I would be inclined to start Brunt against Liverpool just to take come pressure off Berahino, he's had a big couple of weeks!!!

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #439 on: October 20, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »
He was quiet yesterday. Although his pass for Sessegnon's first chance was sublime. A lot of out traffic went down our right side with Amalfitano, maybe we were targeting their left back, which created the illusion of Berahino not being in the game.

He's still raw. Like Lukaku was this time last season.

I suspect he is filling in for Sinclair at the moment, and would expect Sinclair to come in when he returns from injury.

I would be inclined to start Brunt against Liverpool just to take come pressure off Berahino, he's had a big couple of weeks!!!
Agree..cant expect too much from him...like the way he didnt try too many tricks in the England U 21 game...far more mature a player than Zaha...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:28:09 PM by OldburyWBA »

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #440 on: October 20, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
thought he found the stoke defenders rather physical today but all part of the learning curve, he stuck at it, and will be all the better for the experience

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #441 on: October 30, 2013, 08:57:48 AM »
Sensible deal the club has plenty of scope for increasing his pay as he progresses so we will be able to negotiate future extensions and hopefully keep him at the club at little bit longer than might otherwise be the case 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #442 on: October 30, 2013, 09:30:10 AM »
Good news that he seems very close to signing a new deal, he deserves to be rewarded for his progress so far and it will mean if a bigger club wants him they will have to pay a big fee to get him. Hopefully he can keep up the hard work and stay in and around the squad to develop his game and ultimately make an even bigger name for himself.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #443 on: October 30, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
Hope his agent is sensible and the deal get's signed. He would get more than that if someone else snapped him up of course.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #444 on: October 30, 2013, 01:18:37 PM »
Don't know how to break this to you all, but....

I think he actually wants to stay here , he is very grounded and would like to continue his progression at the baggies , whilst being paid a fair rate (of course).
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #445 on: October 30, 2013, 03:59:07 PM »
I agree that he seems settled and happy here and i've read quotes from him roughly says he feels he owes the club. Sign him up for 4+ years and let him loose on the Prem. Play the lad  upfront and he can be a starting player for up by next season. He'll only get better with Minutes on the pitch.

Long and Berg should not be getting any pitch time instead of Saido once he's signed (I think they're both good lads and i want them both to be happy elsewhere, but neither is a relaible goalscorer)

Sess, Saido, Vic and 1 other to be our attack by Sep 2014!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #446 on: October 30, 2013, 06:36:47 PM »
I agree that he seems settled and happy here and i've read quotes from him roughly says he feels he owes the club. Sign him up for 4+ years and let him loose on the Prem. Play the lad  upfront and he can be a starting player for up by next season. He'll only get better with Minutes on the pitch.

Long and Berg should not be getting any pitch time instead of Saido once he's signed (I think they're both good lads and i want them both to be happy elsewhere, but neither is a relaible goalscorer)

Sess, Saido, Vic and 1 other to be our attack by Sep 2014!
Sess is a midfielder in the main, saido vic quaglierella and either ayew or mbokani
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #447 on: October 30, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »
I think he will stay as long as we are stabilising in the Prem.
Everton will have to do that next season!!
I would rather have the goals coming from all over the team than one man.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #448 on: November 02, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
Really beginning to like this lad. Appears we have a very talented young boy on our hands and hopefully we can tie him down to this new contract sooner rather than later.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #449 on: November 02, 2013, 07:52:02 PM »
Chuck him a good contract now, good wage and all that, Can talk about what hes said all day but money talks alot today and im sure his got interest, seen enough of him to know his got a very bright future ahead of him.