Author Topic: Hodgson Focusing on Defence...  (Read 23161 times)

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

Hodgson Focusing on Defence...
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:01:24 AM »
West Brom: Hodgson to focus training on defence and team shape

ROY Hodgson has conceded that Albion can forget all hopes of survival unless the defence take heed of his coaching and advice.

The Baggies have conceded 24 goals in their last 10 league games – with at least two goals being conceded per game over that period.

Hodgson worked with the players on their defensive shape and organisation during his opening day of training on Monday.

They resume training today with the new boss under no illusions of the task he faces trying to re-shape his backline.

“I, like many West Brom fans, was very happy to hear the final whistle last week because I could see what was happening,” said Hodgson.

“It’s pretty obvious where our problems were during that game with West Ham.

“We know what we have to get right within the time we have left.

“They can expect some sessions on the training pitch to try and solve this.

“We will work hard before the game, mainly on basic work shape. We only hope we have sufficient time to improve as a team.

“We need the players to be receptive and defend as a team and unit. We need to do better defensively if we are to survive in this league – it is the only way we can do that.

“Three-three draws, with thousands of chances, are only entertaining for those who are fans.”

Hodgson is fully aware that he takes over an Albion side who have earned plaudits for their style of play.

Indeed, the biggest criticism of their failed survival bid two years ago was the fact that Tony Mowbray did not address his expansive side’s defensive problems.

Hodgson believes Albion’s current style of play – which makes full use of decent attacking options – won’t be compromised by an improvement of their defence.

“Survival is paramount,” he continued. “The way I like my teams to play is right to what West Brom fans have come to expect.

“We have to get better defensively but being better defensively doesn’t mean being negative.

“We’ve got good attacking players, good quality players and we know we’ve the players to be a good team.

“We must attack and defend well. Hopefully we can do it the way that fans would be happy to see us play.”

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/02/17/west-brom-hodgson-to-focus-training-on-defence-and-team-shape-97319-28185136/2/
I only go for the beer.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

Re: Hodgson Focusing on Defence...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:02:58 AM »
He's talking the talk. I wonder if he'll be able to walk the walk.

Time will tell. I hope that 12 games is enough. Sadly I feel it's a little too late for this season.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:03:28 AM »
This can only be a good thing imo, we need huge work on our defencive shape and work as a unit, the midfield also needs to become more disciplined.

I also take this article as a huge indication that RDM had completely abandoned all focus on this vital area of our game and as a consiquence we turned into a disorganised rabble.
I only go for the beer.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:07:28 AM »
I get the impression that training was more of a kick around than to organise the team under RDM. While the begining of the season started so well it must have masked over the problems.

I remember when it was going well people highlighting the problem of us going behind first. A lot were not too concerned with this as we were winning.

One clean sheet all season is bad, and I would hope we could manage a few more before the end of the season. Starting on Sunday :)

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »
I've always wondered how we have coached defending with no defenders in our coaching set up ?? That said, we weren't much better with Mowbray and Venus at the helm, but I do beleive one of our biggest problems in the 'chicken and egg' style around set peices is that we don't defend them very well because we don't have any consistent top class corner/free kick takers taking them in training - and therefore the defence don't learn how to deal with 'better' free kicks, but the our free kick takers don't get any better as they are trying to beat top class defenders.
I guess the same applies all over the pitch, but could explain our poor record with set pieces.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 10:26:51 AM »
Music to my ears that article is.  Its absolutely critical we sort this defence out.  Our midfield, with the right balance, is good enough and I feel we have enough goals in us to stay up.

Sort the defence out and we'll stay up.  Has he got enough time to do it? Time will tell.

At least he has identified the problem and is willing to work at it which is something that couldnt be said for RDM.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »
Our main problem is that midfield are shocking defensively apart from Mulumbu. Brunt is one of the worst tacklers I have ever seen, and that is severely exposed when he plays centrally, as for Morrison,Thomas,Dorrans,Barnes,Tchoyi and the rest of them, I'm not sure any of them have made a successful tackle in their carrers to date. The wingers aren't tracking back either which exposes our full-backs again and again. I don't think Roy can sort this shambles out, unless he can work miracles... heres praying he can!

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »
Our main problem is that midfield are shocking defensively apart from Mulumbu. Brunt is one of the worst tacklers I have ever seen, and that is severely exposed when he plays centrally, as for Morrison,Thomas,Dorrans,Barnes,Tchoyi and the rest of them, I'm not sure any of them have made a successful tackle in their carrers to date. The wingers aren't tracking back either which exposes our full-backs again and again. I don't think Roy can sort this shambles out, unless he can work miracles... heres praying he can!

I don't think it is always about making tackles though, it is sometimes about exerting pressure on the opposition by being in the right positions and forcing them to play passes by getting in their faces. When Birmingham played West Ham the other week Blues hardly made a tackle in the second half, they just made sure they were in their faces putting players under pressure and forcing them into mistakes and that is what we need to do more of instead of letting the likes of Mark Noble and Scott Parker have all the space in the world to pull the strings and that is all down to team shape and organisation.

If we play 442 as expected then a central pairing of Dorrans and Mulumbu in the long term has enough energy and tackling ability to be successful if both are in decent form but the wingers desperately need to do their fair share defensively, a lot of people have criticised our full backs (in some cases rightfully so) but they are always exposed and often left one or even two on one down the wing.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
First post after this site "re-open"  ;D

Really hope the team can improve the defence,it's the most important task if we want to stay in premier league.When RDM tookover the team,everyone(include me) said he had improve the defence,but at last we found that he failed to do it in premier league.Therefore,I hope Hodgson can help us with his experiences.
The PRIDE of midlands

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 11:43:54 AM »

I don't think it is always about making tackles though, it is sometimes about exerting pressure on the opposition by being in the right positions and forcing them to play passes by getting in their faces. When Birmingham played West Ham the other week Blues hardly made a tackle in the second half, they just made sure they were in their faces putting players under pressure and forcing them into mistakes and that is what we need to do more of instead of letting the likes of Mark Noble and Scott Parker have all the space in the world to pull the strings and that is all down to team shape and organisation.

If we play 442 as expected then a central pairing of Dorrans and Mulumbu in the long term has enough energy and tackling ability to be successful if both are in decent form but the wingers desperately need to do their fair share defensively, a lot of people have criticised our full backs (in some cases rightfully so) but they are always exposed and often left one or even two on one down the wing.

A perfect example of that is Barcelona, they appear to hunt in packs in mid-field, they hardly make a tackle, they force the opposition into hurrying and therefore mistakes.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »
We did it to a certain extent against Arsenal, put plenty of pressure on them quite a way up the pitch and forced them into errors. We have shown we can do it to good affect in a couple of games this season but we need to do it more often, we have allowed too many opposition midfield players have so much time on the ball and pull the strings.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 12:08:06 PM »
I just hope our players are wise enough and have the mental ability to take on board and put it too effect rather than what they've been doing the last 3 years
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 12:09:57 PM »
i will go as far as saying you cant teach championship defenders any better
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »
i will go as far as saying you cant teach championship defenders any better

Could be a valid point to be fair
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 12:17:42 PM »
We could start by doing simple things like putting men on posts at corners,something we did do earlier in the season :o
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »
Just another view:

Roy Hodgson working to plug leaks

Leading scorer Peter Odemwingie has revealed how new boss Roy Hodgson has already made his mark at Albion – by focusing on their leaky defence.

The Baggies striker told of how the squad were subjected to an intense workout yesterday, as they stepped up preparations for Sunday’s Black Country derby showdown with Wolves.

And stemming the flow of goals past goalkeeper Boaz Myhill was the focus of the session, according to Odemwingie.

The Nigeria international sat out training yesterday as he completed strengthening work after a series of niggling injuries.

But he said: “From what I heard, the two training sessions were very interesting and yesterday’s was very intensive.

‘The guys came back tired and it was a long session. Jonas Olsson was saying how the new manager was explaining new things to the defence.

“It was something new about how he wants us to defend a certain situation and, with the way Jonas was talking, he must have learned something new.

“Everyone was talking about tactical discipline and specific roles and being organised. They were the things that were going around and I am looking forward to seeing it in practice.

“In the last few games we scored, but we conceded as well so hopefully we can keep the scoring but not concede as much.”

Odemwingie admitted the players had to work hard to impress the new boss in the build-up to Sunday’s meeting with Wolves.

He said: “The boys were a little bit tired but not with negative faces, because they knew the derby was coming and the new manager was there.

“You have to make a good first impression on him – that’s very important – and of course we are preparing for a derby so we have to prepare ourselves well, especially after having a couple of days off.

“That is why everyone is concentrating hard. It is usual that when there’s a new coach everyone has to fight for his position.

“You have to show him the quality you have and what you can do so you can be used to be as effective as possible.”

Albion’s defence is the leakiest in the Premier League after Saturday’s 3-3 draw with West Ham.

The Baggies have conceded at least twice in their last 10 Premier League outings.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2011/02/18/roy-hodgson-working-to-plug-leaks/#ixzz1EJQEqJxm

reis wbafc patel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »
this is a good thing as our defence is appauling. what hodgson did at fulham is he signed lots of big players, if hodgson does that for us that will be very good as we need someone who can win headers and command our defence.
ALBION TIL I DIE

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
We will never have a good defence untill midfielders caryy out their defensive duties - this means you - Brunt, Morrison, Thomas and excludes Mulumbu, Dorrans, Reid and Jara, Cech when they play their. Scharner this especially refers to you DONT AMBLE BACK :D

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
Think our individual defending is as bad as how we defend as a unit. Some of the mistakes seem basic and we're struggling to defend balls into our box. Again, asking for more trouble.

Good luck to Roy, because he's going to need it. Let's hope he drums been awake on a set piece into us!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:44:49 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 02:56:35 PM »
I don't envy Roy's task with the defence,but anything would be an improvement on some of the stuff we've seen the past few years.It's the basics that worry me of our defence,like being able to head the ball out of the box and away from danger than giving a nice little knockdown to the attacker.

The words sound promising but let's see how he they do on Saturday first.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »
We will never have a good defence untill midfielders caryy out their defensive duties - this means you - Brunt, Morrison, Thomas and excludes Mulumbu, Dorrans, Reid and Jara, Cech when they play their. Scharner this especially refers to you DONT AMBLE BACK :D

This is it for mate, our defenders arent very good at the best of times but its a whole lot harder when the only person to bother their @rse to get back is mulumbu then you've got no chance against a team on the break
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

sax78

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »
The team in general lacks discipline in every area.  I haven't looked at the stats but we seem to have picked up a lot of cards this season. Also though discipline is surely the key to defending well. Odemwingie has said that Roy is giving out specific roles.. well it's about time someone did because we useless at making sure everyone is marked.  Last week West Ham had time to have a picnic on the corner of our box before putting the cross in for the third goal! Not one of our team spotted that it was a short corner.  It's not just the back four the whole team has got to be responsible.  Hopefully Roy will be the leader off the pitch, now we just need somebody to step up and be the leader on the pitch, giving players a *******ing for missing the pass or tackle.

albiongrace

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
He's talking the talk. I wonder if he'll be able to walk the walk
god I hope so!!
baggie in dingle-land
always 5hit on the old gold and black!
boing boing!

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 05:49:08 PM »
The team in general lacks discipline in every area.  I haven't looked at the stats but we seem to have picked up a lot of cards this season. Also though discipline is surely the key to defending well. Odemwingie has said that Roy is giving out specific roles.. well it's about time someone did because we useless at making sure everyone is marked.  Last week West Ham had time to have a picnic on the corner of our box before putting the cross in for the third goal! Not one of our team spotted that it was a short corner.  It's not just the back four the whole team has got to be responsible.  Hopefully Roy will be the leader off the pitch, now we just need somebody to step up and be the leader on the pitch, giving players a *******ing for missing the pass or tackle.

I bet Parker loves a good sausage.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 05:49:46 PM »
Looks like he is reinstalling the discipline, the players should come off that training ground tired as it shows they have been put through their paces physically and mentally, the later bit is something we have seriously struggled with for a good while now even last season

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 05:54:34 PM »
Last week West Ham had time to have a picnic on the corner of our box before putting the cross in for the third goal! Not one of our team spotted that it was a short corner.  It's not just the back four the whole team has got to be responsible. 

Totally agree and that's what left me seething more than anything. We gave away three pathetic goals, kids in under 11's on a Sunday defend much better. All three of the West Ham goals came off initial knock downs or flick ons. I know Piquionne had only just came onto the pitch but surely someone can see he's unmarked. It's basic defending been made to look abysmal.

The joke for me is that Nicky Shorey has to stand there and mark to massive six footers whereas Olsson and Scharner are nowhere to be seen.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
Totally agree and that's what left me seething more than anything. We gave away three pathetic goals, kids in under 11's on a Sunday defend much better. All three of the West Ham goals came off initial knock downs or flick ons. I know Piquionne had only just came onto the pitch but surely someone can see he's unmarked. It's basic defending been made to look abysmal.

The joke for me is that Nicky Shorey has to stand there and mark to massive six footers whereas Olsson and Scharner are nowhere to be seen.

I think the game was lost in midfield last week, rather than defence. Brunt and Morrison are not central defenders and never will be at premier level.

If mulumbu is out against wolves does anyone know who is expected to play in midfield?

I'd pick thomas - Scharner - Dorrans - Brunt
(with Scharner holding and Dorrans slightly more advanced)

sax78

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 06:05:50 PM »
Is Jara a midfielder? I know he was purchased as a utility man but his height and pace let him down at right back.  Now put him in midfield and we might have a little bit of bite there!  :o The opposition would certainly want to release the ball quickly! Plus his distribution is very good at times.  Then you could put Reid at Right back. Just an idea!

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »
Is Jara a midfielder? I know he was purchased as a utility man but his height and pace let him down at right back.  Now put him in midfield and we might have a little bit of bite there!  :o The opposition would certainly want to release the ball quickly! Plus his distribution is very good at times.  Then you could put Reid at Right back. Just an idea!

My brother has been banging on about Jara in midfield for what seems like forever.... I think he can play there however does tend to lunge into tackles so you'd expect to concede a few free kicks in central positions. Can't see this being a real problem against the dingles though as they don't have any free kick specialists. Damn I have butterflies just thinking about sunday.

sax78

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »
Reid is also another midfielder, his experience Sunday could be invaluable. Come to think of it we have a lot of midfielders who can and are playing in a different position!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 06:37:42 PM »
Steven Reid could be the most obvious choice with him been a natural midfielder. I'd be more wary of his legs, especially up against Karl Henry. I'd therefore have Reid at right back and Jara in the centre.

Morany

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »
I would opt for Reid in the middle , tough tackling and got a good eye for goal when pushing forward. However, as mentioned above, will he last the full game, probably not.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 06:49:08 PM »
Reid for me is past it at this level, both in midfield and at right back. Jara is a better choice in either position, and I'd prefer Zuiverloon to Reid at right back after Man City.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WoodmanCornerFan

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 06:51:18 PM »
I would like too see Jara given a chance to play in Defensive Midfield on Sunday. He was brought too the club to operate in that role and IMO has always looked good during his fleeting appearances in this position.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »
Glad Jacko made that point. I was impressed with Gianni Zuiverloon lately when he featured, especially against Fulham at centre half in difficult circumstances. Looking at it, I'd like to see him actually. Think it's too early for James Hurst to be chucked into a ding dong derby.

Sussex-Baggie

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 06:54:44 PM »
I think it became obvious that our defence needed working on, but is is encouraging to hear that Roy Hodgson appears to be spending a lot of time on improving it. I don't think we will ever really know just how much or how little time Roberto Di Matteo spent on coaching the players defensively, but I would have thought it has come as a bit of a shock to the players if the amount of time spent was as small as our defensive performances during matches suggested.

I would expect us to be a lot more disciplined once Hodgson has had a chance to work with the squad, although I'm not sure how much work he will have been able to get done in just a few days.

Morany

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 06:58:19 PM »
Let's be honest, any manager that comes in surely looks at the league table and notices we have the worst defensive record going. Does not take a genius to see that we need to improve defensively, and I expect him to be working on that hour after hour.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 07:03:40 PM »
Not sure how anyone can make the decision that Reid is finished at this level given he has not had a run due to niggly little injuries which is common after a long term injury that he had. Give the bloke a chance.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
Reid needs a run of games, every time he plays, he is out next game, stick him in the defensive mid area, he will be fine.
Baggie in Southampton

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
Not sure how anyone can make the decision that Reid is finished at this level given he has not had a run due to niggly little injuries which is common after a long term injury that he had. Give the bloke a chance.

Its just an opinion, and when he plays he'll get my backing, the thing with giving players a run in the team with 12 vital games left is that if said player performs as he did against Man City in 2 of those then you can kiss goodbye to any fleeting hope of survival. Jara has the shirt and has the run of games. Keep him in.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »
  Hodgson's right focusing on the defence, the trouble is quality wise we are simply not good enough.Tamas and Scharner are shocking centre backs and Olsson is not the saviour everyone thought.
  Pablo I can only judge by the arsenal game where I thought he did ok but obviously hasn't been cutting it in training or else he would have been selected.
 Our failure to bring in a centre back in the window will come back to haunt us unless Hodgson truely has a magic wand!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:01:25 PM by hunsletbaggie »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 08:03:47 PM »
I hope Roy Hodgson gives Pablo Ibanez some game time. If he recognises a decent defender then he won't go far wrong in spotting Pablo. In my opinion he's been under used during our poor run of results. I'd quite like to see him alongside Jonas Olsson.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 08:07:30 PM »
I get the impression that training was more of a kick around than to organise the team under RDM. While the begining of the season started so well it must have masked over the problems.

I remember when it was going well people highlighting the problem of us going behind first. A lot were not too concerned with this as we were winning.

One clean sheet all season is bad, and I would hope we could manage a few more before the end of the season. Starting on Sunday :)
I was one who posted about conceding bad goals early season,i got slaughtered for it as some couldnt see long term.So far RH is talking sense,lets hope the players take it in !.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »
The biggest problem against West Ham, is that after Mulumbu went off we didn't have any proper defensive midfield. Firstly,  that is important for protecting the back 4. That whole area was dominated by Parker and Co from where they launched attacks the whole second half. However, just as important is that defenders need an outlet when they are clearing their lines. I lost account of the times the ball was cleared to a West ham player. It looked like they were trying to bypass midfield, which is a sure way of handing possession to the opposition. One thing RDM drilled the players in was to build up out of defence by keeping possession. Second half against West Ham that seemed to have been forgotten.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »
Defending as a unit will definitely help but all 3 goals against West Ham were down to poor play by defenders. We don't have anyone at the back with any real bottle who will stick their head in where it hurts. Hopefully Roy will get us back to basics and stop worrying about defenders footballing their way out of trouble instead of putting into the stands. As mentioned already here I don't think the defensive players we have (Shorey apart) are good enough for this level.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Good article.

If we can get a clean sheet on Sunday it will be a huge boost - its not beyond the realms of possibility - wolves are dire away from home

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2011, 11:16:43 PM »
I think simply playing your best full backs i.e. Reid and Shorey is a good start and will help on its own, wouldn't mind seeing Pablo more as well.
Gera, Gera, Gera

eaststandbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »
Thank god we have got a manager who knows what he is doing.Even my granny knew our defense was rubbish and needed major surgery and sorting out
I was there when The King put the ball in the Everton net.

Rich_WBA

• Junior Baggie

Hodgson Focusing on Defence...
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
Let's hope he's had enough time to get us organised before tomorrow!!

I can't stand it when the dingles beat us!!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »
The biggest problem against West Ham, is that after Mulumbu went off we didn't have any proper defensive midfield. Firstly,  that is important for protecting the back 4. That whole area was dominated by Parker and Co from where they launched attacks the whole second half. However, just as important is that defenders need an outlet when they are clearing their lines. I lost account of the times the ball was cleared to a West ham player. It looked like they were trying to bypass midfield, which is a sure way of handing possession to the opposition. One thing RDM drilled the players in was to build up out of defence by keeping possession. Second half against West Ham that seemed to have been forgotten.

Came on to post almost exactly this, thanks for saving me the touble!! It's that BIG HOLE in the middle we've been leaving, and if you ask me it's got a lot to do with our full backs charging forward at every opportunity, then racing back all headless.  This pulls everyone else out of shape.  I'd pick Hurst/Reid and Shorey, and instruct them to mind the shop, full stop, for a few games, don't care if we stay up with 0-0s frankly.

Mike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2011, 10:53:02 AM »
I remember RDM saying something very similar when he took over..

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2011, 12:24:02 PM »
I remember RDM saying something very similar when he took over..

Ye and look where that got us. But still, gotta have faith  ;)
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

albionproud70

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
For me it makes no odds how well the defence plays against the Dingles...
If the midfield and forward players dont attack the ball when not in possession we will struggle..
No defence would survive with the pathetic,passionless half ar53ed tippy tappy tackling the midfield provided second half against the Cokerneys..
Midfield needs to fight and chase the ball hold a line and cover the defence not stroll around and stand aside as players run past..
Defend from the front back...

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2011, 09:50:49 PM »
Defending as a unit is something Hodgson needs to stress forward. I watched Nottingham Forest last week against QPR and they were defensively solid, even when they went down to 10 men they were throwing their bodies on the line. This is the sort of commitment I want to see from our boys and I'm quite sure if we where to play like that then we woud survive in this division.