Author Topic: Romelu Lukaku (On loan from Chelsea)  (Read 190084 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Romelu Lukaku (On loan from Chelsea)
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »
I have no idea why we are signing him with the forward line we already have, bu wow. I think we are going to go with 4 or 5 up front this season the way Clarke is going  ;D.
Boing Boing

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2012, 06:57:20 PM »

Chelsea striker arrives at Hawthorns on season-long loan deal

ALBION have beaten a host of Barclays Premier League clubs to the signing of Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku on a season-long loan.

The 19-year-old Belgium international this afternoon put pen to paper after passing a medical.

The former Anderlecht star will wear the No.20 shirt and becomes the Baggies’ fifth summer signing after Steve Clarke returned to his former employers to bolster his attacking options.

Lukaku, who will not be involved in tonight’s friendly at Nottingham Forest (ko 7.45pm), arrives at The Hawthorns with an outstanding career league goal ratio of better than one every two games and has both Champions League and Europa League experience.

“I’m delighted to welcome Romelu to the club,” said head coach Clarke.

“He’s a strong, powerful centre-forward who is young, enthusiastic and eager to learn. He was also desperate to come here.

“Romelu had a lot of Europe’s top clubs chasing him when he joined Chelsea from Anderlecht for big money a year ago and also had several Premier League teams wanting to take him on loan this summer, so we’ve done well to get him.

“With the calibre of strikers Chelsea have got, he’s found it difficult to break into the first team at Stamford Bridge.

“But he’s had a season working at a top Premier League club and he now needs more minutes on the pitch.

“We’re more than happy for Romelu to continue his development with us. I am sure he will be a big help to the squad over the course of the season.”

The Antwerp-born youngster, who likes to be called ‘Rom’, started his career with local side Rupel Boom before moving onto the youth academy at Lierse, where he was snapped up by Anderlecht as a 13-year-old in 2006.

He made his professional debut at the tender age of 16 – while still at school – and in 2009/10 he finished as the club’s top scorer to help fire the Belgian giants to the league title.

Lukaku is the son of former Zaire international, Roger, and in 2011 he won the Belgian Ebony Shoe – an annual award given to the best African player, or player of African origin, in the Jupiler Pro League.

In his final season before moving to England, he scored 12 goals in 28 league games, including three as a sub.

Last season was one of development for Lukaku, as the form of Didier Drogba, Fernando Torres and Salomon Kalou, allied to Daniel Sturridge’s emergence, restricted his first-team opportunities.

He made four starts and eight substitute appearances and has been eager for a loan spell to get more game time.

On the international front, Lukaku represented his country at Under-15s level and progressed through the ranks before making his full international debut as a 76th-minute substitute in a 1-0 friendly defeat by Croatia in March 2010.

He now has 15 caps to his name, with his two international goals coming in a 2-0 friendly win over Russia in November 2010.

In total, the 6ft3in hotshot has made 71 career league appearances, including 20 as a substitute, scoring 36 goals.

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/albion-swoop-for-lukaku-305737.aspx

:D

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2012, 06:59:16 PM »
It's astounding really, Rosenburg is a level above anything we have and then days after we have a player that is better than anything we have had in the last decade. Again outstanding JP
Gera, Gera, Gera

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2012, 07:00:38 PM »
Wow what an assortment of attacking options we have at our disposal,a very happy baggie  :)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »
Odemwingie going do you think?

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
I cant believe we have pulled this off. I might wake up soon.

What a transfer window. One of the strikers has to be on his way. I just hope it's not odemwingie.

A decent centre back now and I'll be on cloud 9.
Twitter: @floydy1983

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »
Where are all the negative moaning buggers now eh?!

I'm sure I read we were lacking ambition, would be lucky to sign Appleton and Peace was keeping all the money for himself?!.... Apparently no-one told Albion that!

I've read that there's no fee, but we are covering his wages, which I think are "only" £20k a week... but that's no from a reliable source.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »
Not sure where in the article the agent mentions Albion. Its the daily mail just rumouring as usual.

If its true then a striker will be going as we'll have too many which makes a change from last season.

I'll be very surprised its going to happen as the mail is as reliable as sky sports understands stories.
I stand corrected.......lol

Fair play to us for getting him, shows that we are going up in the world both in league position and reputation.

Hopefully he'll settle and score a few goals, still quite young.

We have a lot of attacking options now so will be interesting as to line ups etc.

It's starting to get exciting.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2012, 07:04:05 PM »
Wonder how long it's going to take my number 20 Lukaku shirt to get to California.  8)

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2012, 07:05:20 PM »
Can really see us having a go at the cups now like Clarke said. Whatever game unless we have some serious injuries we will have a very good strike force.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
Really happy with that.  Superb signing, feels like when we signed Kanu. 

Still can't help but feel that someone other than Cox is going.

Lukaku
Odemwingie
Long
Rosenberg
Fortune

Hmmm, but then if we're playing 3 up front having 2 'spare' makes sense.

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »
Calm heads required -

He's still a raw talent. Lets not hope for too much too soon.

I think we'll be rotating the squad a lot this season and the depth in squad (assuming we buy another defender) suggests we'll be pushing on in the cup competitions too.

Remind me, who have Villa signed recently? ;)
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2012, 07:07:02 PM »
I suggested this as soon as Clarke was on board...

See the usual negativity in the responses;

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=8187.0
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:08:58 PM by Floydy »

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2012, 07:08:08 PM »
I think its hard not too get excited over this signing, we are signing a player who last summer seemed to have the world chasing him! And now he is at the Albion for a year!

We cant put too much pressure and expectation as he is only very young still but its fair to say if he can even get halfway to matching his potential then what a player we will have! I think this is the sort of thing that helps us continue to raise our profile, we have attraced some real quality this summer along with a couple of potential exciting youngsters (Ghannassy and Lukaku) it can only be good for the future.

It also may be a nice incentive for Doumbia who has signed for the Wolves, he may realise if he gets his head down and works hard, has a good season in the Championship then a bigger club like Albion will take a chance on him for the Premier League!

On the forward front, i think Cox and Wood will go, probably both sold with maybe some sell on for Wood, i think a younger striker signing today just pushes him further down the line, but i can see either Odemwingie being used a winger and Thomas being moved on, or one of Long and Odemwingie possibly going (not that i think we should sell them yet, review it January) i think Fortune will stay as he offers something different to the others but wouldnt be surprised if possibly Pete goes to Qatar or something.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »
I cant believe we have pulled this off. I might wake up soon.

What a transfer window. One of the strikers has to be on his way. I just hope it's not odemwingie.

A decent centre back now and I'll be on cloud 9.

Not exactly for this thread but look forward to an announcement within the next couple of days.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2012, 07:08:21 PM »
Calm heads required -

He's still a raw talent. Lets not hope for too much too soon.

I think we'll be rotating the squad a lot this season and the depth in squad (assuming we buy another defender) suggests we'll be pushing on in the cup competitions too.

Remind me, who have Villa signed recently? ;)

They can have their pick of Allan, Cox or Wood on loan  ;D ;D

The will be like the Blues last year; taking our fringe players and kids on loan.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:11:45 PM by Floydy »

bartleygreen baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
Not exactly for this thread but look forward to an announcement within the next couple of days.

I love you, I am very much excited by this signing

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
Baggie79, is the centre half one to get excited about?

Olsson signing a new deal will do for me! I think we will see more of Dawson and if we do get another centre half in possibly ship Tamas out?

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2012, 07:15:36 PM »
Excellent signing. Don't think we've had a stronger forward line in my life time!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2012, 07:16:37 PM »
Really happy with that.  Superb signing, feels like when we signed Kanu. 

Still can't help but feel that someone other than Cox is going.

Lukaku
Odemwingie
Long
Rosenberg
Fortune

Hmmm, but then if we're playing 3 up front having 2 'spare' makes sense.

Playing 3 up front will probably also include Gera, Thomas, El Ghanassy and possibly even Dorrans and brunt at times, not to mention Clarkes favourite Berahino. Wed now have a lot of forwards.

Cox is going but I think Fortune might also be off as well.
Boing Boing

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2012, 07:17:51 PM »
I love the fact that some of the Chelsea fans are bemused thinking he would be starting for them this season, just shows what a quality player we have and not some young'un Chelsea want to loan out for a bit of experience.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
Playing 3 up front will probably also include Gera, Thomas, El Ghanassy and possibly even Dorrans and brunt at times, not to mention Clarkes favourite Berahino. Wed now have a lot of forwards.

Cox is going but I think Fortune might also be off as well.

Good point about the rest. 

If Fortune is going it's coming as a surprise to him.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »
What an amazing signing. Clubs were queuing up to sign this lad but we've got him. This signing shows how far we have come in the last few years.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
71 professional games. Let's not get carried away, if he makes 20 starts and scores 10 goals it will be a WONDERFUL season for the guy.

Still think this bodes badly for the future of Shane Long.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »
I love the fact that some of the Chelsea fans are bemused thinking he would be starting for them this season, just shows what a quality player we have and not some young'un Chelsea want to loan out for a bit of experience.

Good on ya' agent Matteo   8)