Author Topic: Jonathan Bond  (Read 31272 times)

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL: Bond signs
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »
Looked excellent throughout yesterday.
Deserves to be challenging SJ for the top spot on his two Cup showings.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL: Bond signs
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2019, 10:17:55 PM »
Disagree. He made a woeful false catch from a cross in the first half which they luckily put wide via the rebound. Plus some of his saves were parried into the path of strikers instead of out towards the sides.

He is clearly a decent keeper going on today and Wigan, but Johnstone is superior. Funnily enough, I remember people saying Myhill was better than Foster at one point - I think fans are naturally more critical of the proper #1 keeper.
No
He is a better keeper in my opinion
I was also one that said myhill should come in when foster was having a bad time, I also said that Odemwingie shouldn't have to move to accommodate long, I also said that Bartley wasn't that bad and should be judged when played in a 4

All about opinions
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Jonathan Bond
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2019, 10:50:40 PM »
Should have a run now to see what he can achieve.  If Johnstone is recalled for Stoke then it’s surely unfair.  Looked more than decent v Brighton.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2019, 10:53:33 PM »
Should have a run now to see what he can achieve.  If Johnstone is recalled for Stoke then it’s surely unfair.  Looked more than decent v Brighton.

Behind a 4 definitely. If we bring back this 5 we could play both keepers at the same time and they'd be exposed.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2019, 10:55:05 PM »
Thought he could have done better with their second. But looks no worse than Johnstone.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2019, 10:57:51 PM »
Thought he could have done better with their second. But looks no worse than Johnstone.

The one scored from a yard out? I didn't realise he had the ability to teleport.

I'd love to know what you think he should have done to prevent the goal? Suppose he could have just clattered Bartley in a bid to put the forward off...

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2019, 11:01:31 PM »
Number ONE choice for me.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2019, 11:04:15 PM »
If Johnstone does get dropped....it'll be Brunt in goal 😂
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2019, 11:08:17 PM »
If Johnstone does get dropped....it'll be Brunt in goal 😂
wouldn't surprise me he is Moores captain fantastic

webral

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2019, 11:27:46 PM »
thought the 1st goal was savable

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2019, 11:35:59 PM »

I wasn't impressed enough by him tonight to think for one second he would be a better choice than Johnstone.

The first goal was poor keeping but even before that I just didn't think he had enough presence in the box to be a regular in the Championship.

I don't say that to criticise him, I thought his performance tonight was pretty decent in most respects but no way does he oust Johnstone for me.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2019, 11:37:29 PM »
I have been tonight , and watched him closely. Saw nothing to suggest he should get the call on Saturday.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2019, 11:41:20 PM »
For those saying no to retaining Bond for league games please explain the rationale behind picking Johnstone.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2019, 12:04:34 AM »
For those saying no to retaining Bond for league games please explain the rationale behind picking Johnstone.

Don't think there's much to choose between them other than the price tag.  Drop Johnstone and your asset depreciates.  Not the best reason but most likely.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2019, 12:09:39 AM »
I wasn't impressed enough by him tonight to think for one second he would be a better choice than Johnstone.

The first goal was poor keeping but even before that I just didn't think he had enough presence in the box to be a regular in the Championship.

I don't say that to criticise him, I thought his performance tonight was pretty decent in most respects but no way does he oust Johnstone for me.
think a mouse would have more presence than Johnson in goal and for that reason I'd give Bond the nod.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2019, 05:01:12 AM »
think a mouse would have more presence than Johnson in goal and for that reason I'd give Bond the nod.

I agree there's not much between them besides presence. Johnstone form has been off for a while so bond at least deserves a go
O Albion we love you

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2019, 05:50:47 AM »

The one scored from a yard out? I didn't realise he had the ability to teleport.

I'd love to know what you think he should have done to prevent the goal? Suppose he could have just clattered Bartley in a bid to put the forward off...

Yes youre right. I meant the first when it went betrtween his legs.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »

me too, johnstone worse keeper for years
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2019, 11:33:52 AM »
My own two-cents worth; having been at two cup games and watched last night; I would be happy with Bond given a go in the League.
Had another decent game. Feel much more comfortable with him than Johnstone on stopping shots and seems to be very well prepared and balanced to react quickly. Definitely seems much more comfortable playing a pro-active distributing role than Johnstone which the coaches are looking to implement. 
Some issues are that he doesn't seem to be a dominance presence under crosses and may be even slightly behind Johnstone on this and a lot of his saves do seem to be palmed back into danger areas.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2019, 11:42:53 AM »
Whilst there isn't much between them, from what I have seen I would persist with Johnstone in goal for now.

From the saves he has made, I find Bond seems to parry the ball back into dangerous places, were a couple in the first tie and I can recall one last night which was parried back into a danger zone.

Personally I think Johnstone looks more comfortable having the ball at his feet out the two aswell.

Competition is always good for a GK, something we haven't seem for a fair few years with Foster and Boaz.

But for now I would still be choosing Sam.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »
I dont think their is a great deal between them.

Johnstone started the season poor (as most would playing behind that defence at the time) but i think i read since the Leeds game we have the 2nd best defence in the league so he has to have some credit for that.

Bond does seem a lot more confident than Johnstone which counts for a lot but not sure he is actually a better keeper (too early to tell)

I dont see Johnstone being dropped anytime soon mainly because we spent big money on him (for us) in the summer, the other bloke we spent money on is Bartley and he will be lucky to make the bench this saturday, price tags shouldnt come into it, it should be on form but i dont think the Albion hierachy would be too amused that the two big summer signings were dropped within the first six months of the season.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2019, 04:51:45 PM »
I would prefer to see Bond given a chance. Not too much between them and both have faults and are nowhere near a finished article. But competition for the place should keep both trying to improve. I would just like to see how Bond performs behind our better defenders.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2019, 05:18:39 PM »
Bond has a weakness of parrying into dangerous areas, Johnstone normally pushes the ball into safer areas, both have weaknesses.
Baggie in Southampton

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2019, 05:39:19 PM »
Bond has a weakness of parrying into dangerous areas, Johnstone normally pushes the ball into safer areas, both have weaknesses.

Johnstone has a glaring weakness of regularly conceding from shots he should save.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2019, 11:44:28 PM »

Johnstone has a glaring weakness of regularly conceding from shots he should save.

And in his few appearances there's no indication that Bond is any better in this regard. He should have saved the equaliser last night.

Johnstone is a big step down from Foster and sometimes I wonder if people's expectations of him are effected by how spoiled the team was by having Foster between the sticks for so long. The Championship is probably very much Johnstone's level, yet there are few in the division better than him in my view.

Bond seems to be adequate back-up but my initial impressions of him do not convince me he is good enough to start regularly during a pressurised run-in. Johnstone has been in this situation last season with Villa where he apparently acquitted himself very well and this experience alone gives him the edge over Bond.