Author Topic: Jonathan Bond  (Read 31433 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Jonathan Bond
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2019, 11:56:38 PM »
And in his few appearances there's no indication that Bond is any better in this regard. He should have saved the equaliser last night.

Johnstone is a big step down from Foster and sometimes I wonder if people's expectations of him are effected by how spoiled the team was by having Foster between the sticks for so long. The Championship is probably very much Johnstone's level, yet there are few in the division better than him in my view.

Bond seems to be adequate back-up but my initial impressions of him do not convince me he is good enough to start regularly during a pressurised run-in. Johnstone has been in this situation last season with Villa where he apparently acquitted himself very well and this experience alone gives him the edge over Bond.

Not really. Compare that goal to the first 2 on Saturday, it's like night and day.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2019, 01:04:02 AM »

If Johnstone does get dropped....it'll be Brunt in goal 😂
And he could play striker at the same time  ;) ;)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »
And in his few appearances there's no indication that Bond is any better in this regard. He should have saved the equaliser last night.

Johnstone is a big step down from Foster and sometimes I wonder if people's expectations of him are effected by how spoiled the team was by having Foster between the sticks for so long. The Championship is probably very much Johnstone's level, yet there are few in the division better than him in my view.

Bond seems to be adequate back-up but my initial impressions of him do not convince me he is good enough to start regularly during a pressurised run-in. Johnstone has been in this situation last season with Villa where he apparently acquitted himself very well and this experience alone gives him the edge over Bond.

With Foster its a case of Lukaku syndrome.

Absolutely no chance of us getting a better replacement in this division.

Johnstone suffers because his predecessor was so good.

Not going to deny he is a poor keeper though, in my view.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2019, 10:03:25 AM »

That's harsh. The ball was blasted at him from about eight yards away Bond had no chance of adjusting himself. In that situation I think the 'keeper just has to hope he gets lucky and the ball hit's him.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2019, 02:32:16 PM »
As the saying goes, ‘you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone’; perhaps we didn’t realise how good Foster was for us? I have watches his performances for Watford this season and he has been outstanding. Very big boots to fill. Is Bond better than Johnstone? I think they are about equal at the moment but feel that Bond is likely to be the better in the future. Remember, Johnston has made some excellent saves and when the ball has gone past him, it was likely to have been a defensive howler that set the chance up. We have suffered many defensive howlers this season!

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2019, 08:40:00 AM »
I think he exudes more confidence than SJ and it shows on the pitch with the players around him usually seeming more comfortable. It certainly feels nothing like the days of using Myhill for cup games when you could sense the nervousness in the players around him. Think Bond always appears sharp despite not playing much and his distribution is just as good or better than SJs.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2019, 01:08:33 AM »
This guy must be sitting there on the bench wondering why on earth he can't get in the starting lineup ahead of the butterfingered mess that is Johnstone.

Time to stick him in and give him his chance, Johnstone has had far too many chances and has been one of the worst performers in the team all season.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2019, 10:57:05 PM »
Nothing to do with Foster, he’s gone. Johnstone is either good enough or not and, for me, he’s not even close.. Can’t remember such a poor shot stopper in an Albion shirt. We’ve had a few good uns who were rubbish on crosses or couldn’t kick but this bloke struggles with every aspect of the game.
Bond deserves a chance just because Johnstone is so bad.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2019, 01:02:56 PM »
Should have got a game yesterday, if only to give him some game time ahead of the play-offs. If Johnstone picks up an injury and he has to come in off the back of nothing since Jan - Feb, it's going to be hard on him.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2019, 06:26:56 PM »
Personally, after seeing the Hull goals he conceded and was responsible for, I think now would not be the right time to leave him out the first 11.

I think that would cause a disruption that may have a greater impact on the team, and the defence in particular, than dropping him. As I say, it’s a personal point of view and can full appreciate why other want him dropped. It’s a risk either way, but which is the greater risk? Who knows for sure?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2020, 09:59:55 PM »
That's why he doesn't start in the league.

Decent back up but poor keeper hence release by reading.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2020, 10:00:58 PM »
Poor quality keeper who has just shown why he is way behind Johnstone.
Baggie in Southampton

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2020, 10:09:46 PM »
Shocking goalkeeping from him tonight. Anyone know long he has left on his contract?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2020, 10:26:02 PM »
Who scouted/recruited these 2 godawful keepers?

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2020, 10:34:55 PM »
Tonight just proved Johnstone isn’t great but he’s 10 times the keeper Bond is

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2020, 11:15:28 PM »
"Start Bond next game"
"Johnstone is awful"
"What's Bond got to do to get a game"

Johnstone haters, next time these thoughts come to mind, think of tonight.
Charlton
West Ham
Seemed ok....just because he has an off day (Pererira did on Saturday) does not make him bad and does not improve Johnstone
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2020, 08:23:29 AM »
Tonight just proved Johnstone isn’t great but he’s 10 times the keeper Bond is

You can see why Slav has given Sam so much game time.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2020, 09:06:21 AM »
Charlton
West Ham
Seemed ok....just because he has an off day (Pererira did on Saturday) does not make him bad and does not improve Johnstone

Give up. Bond is a terrible keeper.... there’s a reason why at his age he’s always been a back up keeper.

Miles behind Johnstone and shouldn’t be starting at all in the league or cups.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2020, 09:11:09 AM »
there’s a reason why at his age he’s always been a back up keeper.

Miles behind Johnstone and shouldn’t be starting at all in the league or cups.

I agree with this to an extent and remember, Bond came in as a third choice keeper initially. I do think it is harsh to say he shouldn't be starting any game for us, before tonight he hasn't let us down and may have improved in his time with us. The overall point is correct though, as much as Johnstone is open to criticism, the clamour for Bond to start when looking at his career was weird I always felt.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2020, 09:47:34 AM »
I think it's a bit harsh on him as that's the dodgiest game I've seen him have.  Players do get bad games.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2020, 01:21:17 PM »
Watched him 4 time and the other 3 he had been sound, yesterday he had a bad game and the locals get the pitchforks out and demand better, when did our fan base get so fickle? Johnson, Bartley etc etc best one was Townsend and now he is the championship team of the month.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2020, 02:08:53 PM »
I agree with this to an extent and remember, Bond came in as a third choice keeper initially. I do think it is harsh to say he shouldn't be starting any game for us, before tonight he hasn't let us down and may have improved in his time with us. The overall point is correct though, as much as Johnstone is open to criticism, the clamour for Bond to start when looking at his career was weird I always felt.

I understand what your saying but before tonight he hasn't had to do a fat lot though to be honest, especially to warrant people calling for Johnstone to be dropped for him.

We are sat at the top of the championship which is a very tough league, he is nowhere near good enough to start in this league and as for the cup competitions... there were a couple last night that shouldn't have started or even been involved in.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2020, 02:13:46 PM »
Watched him 4 time and the other 3 he had been sound, yesterday he had a bad game and the locals get the pitchforks out and demand better, when did our fan base get so fickle? Johnson, Bartley etc etc best one was Townsend and now he is the championship team of the month.

But those other 3 times he hasn't had to do much, he is nowhere near championship level and that isn't great for a team that's aiming for the Prem.

Those fickle fans you mentioned are the same ones that want Johnstone dropped for Bond based on no evidence that bond is anywhere near as good never mind better than Johnstone, yet the time Bond was taking yesterday especially within the first 3 minutes to kick/throw the ball back into play... If that was Johnstone the fans would have been down his neck... didn't hear a mention beacause it was Bond though.  ::)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2020, 02:22:50 PM »
But those other 3 times he hasn't had to do much, he is nowhere near championship level and that isn't great for a team that's aiming for the Prem.

Those fickle fans you mentioned are the same ones that want Johnstone dropped for Bond based on no evidence that bond is anywhere near as good never mind better than Johnstone, yet the time Bond was taking yesterday especially within the first 3 minutes to kick/throw the ball back into play... If that was Johnstone the fans would have been down his neck... didn't hear a mention beacause it was Bond though.  ::)
Sorry but that doesn't make sense, the evidence was that he did well in the 3 games that he played in, as that was all there was to go on and, by your own rationale, he has had 1 bad game out of 4, which, IMO, is still as good as, if not better, than Johnstone.
That being said I don't think he is good enough for what we need, neither of them are.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2020, 04:25:46 PM »
Sorry but that doesn't make sense, the evidence was that he did well in the 3 games that he played in, as that was all there was to go on and, by your own rationale, he has had 1 bad game out of 4, which, IMO, is still as good as, if not better, than Johnstone.
That being said I don't think he is good enough for what we need, neither of them are.

Why doesn't it make sense? its not rocket science.

vs charlton they had 2 shots on target
vs west ham they had 3 shots on target

which is my point about how he didn't have much to do in those games, both games there wern't shots that made Bond look amazing to stop them either.

How you can compare that to Johnstone is ridiculous. We are sat at the top of the league with Johnstone in goal... problem is most fans don't like to think about saves he actually makes and would rather moan about goals that go in.

Bond is back up for a reason.