Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556546 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #9725 on: January 01, 2017, 09:57:59 PM »
Which still makes him a Premier League striker being paid a premier league wage whether we like it or not, pedantic or not. Not sure what the point of arguing is? If signed by another Premier League club, he's then still a premier league player, on, you guessed it, premier league wages. 60k a week is still relatively little for a premier league striker, and I imagine if he signs for another premier league club he'll be on more than that, not that it matters at all to us.

But there's a huge difference between being an established PL striker and one whose barely kicked a ball in the past 12 months. I imagine Robson-Kanu is on around £20k per week, whereas Rondon is on closer to £60k. It doesn't mean Berahino is worthy of a £60k p/w wage because he's played in the Premier League. As of now he has to prove he's still got the ability worthy of the deal.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9726 on: January 01, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »
But there's a huge difference between being an established PL striker and one whose barely kicked a ball in the past 12 months. I imagine Robson-Kanu is on around £20k per week, whereas Rondon is on closer to £60k. It doesn't mean Berahino is worthy of a £60k p/w wage because he's played in the Premier League. As of now he has to prove he's still got the ability worthy of the deal.

Again, I didn't mention anything about being an established premier league player at all, or a proven striker, or anything like that. However comparing to Rondon who's on 60k as you suggest, Berahino has played more games (double in fact) in the premier league (106) to Rondon's 51, and scored more goals in the Premier League (23) to Rondon's 16. Could argue that he's more established? No one is saying he's worth 60k a week, I was pointing out that I believe if he signs for another premier league team he'll be on at least 60k. In fact he'll probably be on at least that if he goes abroad too.

Just as an aside, Fabio Borini, Danny Ings, Shinji Okasaki, Christian Benteke, Andy Carrol, Mbokani, Llorente, and many other strikers are all on £60k per week or more.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:19:14 PM by TheBrom »

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9727 on: January 01, 2017, 10:32:52 PM »
Fact is he is a striker playing for a premier league team, and is likely to sign for another premier league team. Apologies, it wasn't clear that the 2 misses comment was specifically about the penalties, I thought you were saying he'd missed two chances in a game. I agree the 2 penalty misses in one match were poor.

And fully agree that his attitude changed and his head was turned by the offers in that transfer window. I feel this is why we should be due compensation or whatever from the tribunal (hell I'd make Spurs pay for it), as we had a striker who'd scored 20 odd goals the season before (regardless of how many were penalties, still have to score them) and after the summer we've been left with someone who is of no use to anyone and who's value has rapidly decreased.

I personally think we didn't sell him that summer because we wanted to keep him for another year, where he could potentially have a similar season with us, and then we sell him for even more the next summer. But his head getting turned completely ruined that, and we've been left with someone who will be leaving on a free at the end of the season.
Thank you yes I agree with what you have said. I hope the club can get something out it at the end of the day.
I feel he will not sign and try and screw the club.Hope I am wrong but on past history?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9728 on: January 02, 2017, 03:39:57 AM »
Thank you yes I agree with what you have said. I hope the club can get something out it at the end of the day.
I feel he will not sign and try and screw the club.Hope I am wrong but on past history?

That is the worry, but ultimately he will be out of contract with us so free to do as he pleases. Imagine it will be whoever offers him the best package overall

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9729 on: January 04, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
how far away is he from being fit to play if he's needed?  its been almost 3 months since it was reported he was overweight, the players do about 6 weeks pre season training yet this blokes had double that length of time and still not ready. just a joke.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9730 on: January 04, 2017, 09:23:29 PM »
how far away is he from being fit to play if he's needed?  its been almost 3 months since it was reported he was overweight, the players do about 6 weeks pre season training yet this blokes had double that length of time and still not ready. just a joke.

There's physical fitness and mental fitness

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9731 on: January 04, 2017, 09:30:55 PM »
There's physical fitness and mental fitness

and there's fitness to wear the shirt.
He's none of the above
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9732 on: January 04, 2017, 09:39:33 PM »

He posted a pic to the whole world the day he got sent to france, posing in the mirror with his VERY ripped body - if he was fat i'll eat my own testicles.

There's more to it than fitness, pulis just needs to come out and be honest to put it all to bed so we can move on.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9733 on: January 04, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »
He posted a pic to the whole world the day he got sent to france, posing in the mirror with his VERY ripped body - if he was fat i'll eat my own testicles.

There's more to it than fitness, pulis just needs to come out and be honest to put it all to bed so we can move on.

There is a huge difference between being fat and being overweight for an athletic pursuit. Would have thought the club don't want him hench; They would want him lean, quick and agile.

Pulis can't do anything more for the waster. I'd have hung him out to dry months ago through sheer frustration.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9734 on: January 04, 2017, 09:56:05 PM »

I personally think it's been used as an excuse not to play him. However it hardly fills perspective buyers with confidence does it? I mean if we wanted to sell him we'd surely be praising him and showing how fit he is, not showcasing negarives

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9735 on: January 04, 2017, 10:15:07 PM »
There is a huge difference between being fat and being overweight for an athletic pursuit. Would have thought the club don't want him hench; They would want him lean, quick and agile.

Pulis can't do anything more for the waster. I'd have hung him out to dry months ago through sheer frustration.

You may be right, but...
  • He wasn't fat... he proved that in his pics he put up everywhere (which never really got mentioned in the media as much as it wasn't a negative story)
  • He definitely wasn't 'hench' so i doubt that would be the reason for him not being used.
  • He was CONSTANTLY updating his snapchat daily of him at fitness classes etc with the top top guys - (which was all over the internet too and you don't even manage to get half through these programs due to how intense they are if your not fit)
  • Pulis said himself in an interview that he came back alot fitter and his mind was in a much better place - but he gets sent back again.

Im with you on the whole freezing him out completely thing but as much as you hate him, its obvious to anyone with any common sense that there is more to it than saido being 'fat'.

I do genuinely believe pulis as done way more for saido than he should have done, but i feel pulis aint being completely honest with the fans about the whole situation.

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9736 on: January 04, 2017, 11:46:26 PM »
There's so much more...trust me. I won't say too much but he's something of a 'busted flush' as it stands. It's hard to stomach as he's something that is a product of the Albion family, however there's people telling him he'd be 2/3 mil better off if he leaves to a European club to avoid tribunals. It would be incredible if he'd sign a contract and give his all....I for one would have huge respect for him and support him to the hilt. He said, "I'll never play for Peace again" - Peace has gone....what's changed?! It's only about de dollar!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9737 on: January 05, 2017, 09:29:18 PM »
how does loaning Saido to Stoke benefit us?
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/866021232?-11200:789:0

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9738 on: January 05, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »
If its true we are offering him 60 how must Rondon and other genuine assets on 60 or less feel - what a kick in the balls.

We are generally a well managed club but way we have handled this player has been completely wrong - agree spurs bid wasnt worth hitting but he should been sold to  stoke or newcastle when they bid - madness

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9739 on: January 06, 2017, 06:35:44 AM »
no one actually beating a path down to our door to sign this waster are they?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9740 on: January 06, 2017, 06:43:35 AM »
According to the Sentinel Stoke have returned for Berahino.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/stoke-city-wait-on-west-brom-to-put-value-on-misfit-saido-berahino/story-30033686-detail/story.html

Stoke City wait on West Brom to put value on misfit Saido Berahino
By Martin_Spinks  |  Posted: January 05, 2017

Stoke City want West Bromwich Albion to name their price for unsettled striker Saido Berahino.

Boss Mark Hughes remains interested in the 23 year-old misfit and will decide whether to pursue him, for a third successive transfer window, if the price is right.

Berahino once commanded a valuation of more than £20m when being chased by the likes of Tottenham, but lack of form and game time has seen his price plummet over the last 18 months.

He has just six months left on his current deal at The Hawthorns, but Albion will still be entitled to compensation once he is out of contract because he isn't 24 until August.

A loan move might be one compromise proving attractive to both clubs because Stoke wouldn't be committing themselves long-term to a player with plenty to prove, while Albion would be putting him in the shop window for the rest of the season.

Hughes knows he would be taking something of a stab in the dark if he did move in for a player making the last of his five appearances this season back on September 10.

And last season's return of seven goals in 35 appearances was a far cry from his heyday in 2014/15 when he bagged 20 in 45 appearances to alert the likes of Tottenham.

Albion boss Tony Pulis eventually ran out of patience with Berahino's reported lack of fitness in the Autumn and sent him to France for personal training to try and get him back into shape.

Berahino's agent has consistently said his client now wants a move abroad, but the player himself might be more inclined to remain in this country.

Read more at http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/stoke-city-wait-on-west-brom-to-put-value-on-misfit-saido-berahino/story-30033686-detail/story.html#D8TlXAou2hkcF4Pq.99

Personally I wouldn't turn down any reasonable offer because I fear that the alternative will be losing a fee when he moves abroad. I'm not even going to bother with the usual proviso of providing we find a replacement because it is plain that Saido isn't going to be playing for us again this season almost regardless of the situation. He's been on a prolonged training camp and been training with the squad for nearly a month and to quote Pulis "He's nowhere near ready" then he won't ever be  ready.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9741 on: January 06, 2017, 08:20:50 AM »
Fat, thin, worth £60k or not when he isn't even bloody working, who cares. On the pitch he is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

The to$$er is a complete spoilt brat and probably our biggest embarrassment ever.

Self-serving, self-centered and the furthest away you could possibly get from the likes of Bomber and Astle. Or Regis come to that.

Can't wait for the door to hit his lardy (or not) backside on the way out. I'm going to have a party.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9742 on: January 06, 2017, 08:22:11 AM »
I hope I've made my feelings clear.  ::)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9743 on: January 06, 2017, 08:37:20 AM »
I hope I've made my feelings clear.  ::)

Perfectly clear.

What are his bad points Coseley?
MAGA!

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9744 on: January 06, 2017, 08:38:32 AM »
Bojan wants regular football - do a straight swap.
Twitter: @floydy1983

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9745 on: January 06, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
Fat, thin, worth £60k or not when he isn't even bloody working, who cares. On the pitch he is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

The to$$er is a complete spoilt brat and probably our biggest embarrassment ever.

Self-serving, self-centered and the furthest away you could possibly get from the likes of Bomber and Astle. Or Regis come to that.

Can't wait for the door to hit his lardy (or not) backside on the way out. I'm going to have a party.

Climb down off that fence - you'll get splinters!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9746 on: January 06, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »
hes going to get roasted whenever he comes back. we all know in the right team he will be playing for england again within a year
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9747 on: January 06, 2017, 09:25:29 AM »
Bojan wants regular football - do a straight swap.

Ignoring the unlikelihood of a swap deal, Bojan could be a good player for us. Phillips, Chadli and Bojan would make an interesting 3 behind Rondon and all 3 can play anywhere across the field so could be very fluid in the movement.

Perhaps we could use our last loan to get him in with an option to buy in the Summer?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

nick_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #9748 on: January 06, 2017, 09:28:42 AM »
hes going to get roasted whenever he comes back. we all know in the right team he will be playing for england again within a year

I have no doubt he would be if he had the right attitude. In my opinion his technical ability far outweighs that of players like Jordan Henderson and James Milner who have nearly 100 caps between them. It just shows what you can achieve if you keep your nose clean and go about your business with the right attitude.

There's a reason why Milner has played at some of the biggest clubs in England (apart from one) and Henderson is the current Liverpool captain. They set an example. I'm not saying they are bad players by any stretch, but I think Saido would be a far better footballer than both if he had even half the commitment of either of them.

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9749 on: January 06, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
Swap, was a tongue in cheek comment. However, I agree with you that Bojan would be a great option if we could prise him from Stoke and give us something we don't currently have with our other strikers.  That said if he does move on from Stoke, I'd guess it would be back to Spain.
Twitter: @floydy1983