Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556611 times)

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #9625 on: December 30, 2016, 06:29:16 PM »
Everton apparently inquiring about him..

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9626 on: December 30, 2016, 06:32:40 PM »
So the Saido bandwagon roll`s on was he out Boxing Day or wasn`t he who cares just want the waster out of our club hopefully by the end of this month.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9627 on: December 30, 2016, 06:45:54 PM »
Isn't Nice where Balotelli is? They'd get on great!

Yep, he's out of contact this summer also apparently

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9628 on: December 30, 2016, 06:50:19 PM »
Here's the full story with Pulis' quotes on Saido:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/10711867/saido-berahino-not-close-to-west-brom-recall-says-tony-pulis

Saido Berahino not close to West Brom recall says Tony Pulis.

Tony Pulis says Saido Berahino is not ready to be involved with West Brom's first-team as the striker is struggling with physical and mental aspects of his game.

Berahino has not played since September and has not scored in his last 14 games in all competitions for West Brom, a drought stretching back to February.

The 23-year-old recently returned to the club after being sent to a conditioning camp in France to help him lose weight and regain fitness.

But Pulis said he would not be involved against Southampton on Saturday and offered no timetable for a route back into his plans.

"Saido's getting on with his job. We need to get games into him. He is nowhere near ready we think to start a game of football so it's just about him getting games and that is what we are trying to do," Pulis said.

Pulis was then asked if it was a mental or physical issue affecting Berahino and he added: "It's both. He's trained every day and it's now just about getting him some games."

His continued absence has led to renewed talk of a move away from the club in January, with Berahino's future having been a hot topic in the last three transfer windows.

"We'll wait and see (if there is a possibility of him leaving in the January window). Every window has brought speculation and we have another four or five weeks to get through that," Pulis added.

Pulis confirmed last week that West Brom made a bid to sign Morgan Schneiderlin from Manchester United, who are willing to let the France midfielder leave for the right price.

But he said there was no further update on a move for the former Southampton man and added that there were other transfer priorities to be dealt with as well.

"Morgan is just one of two or three we're looking at. The most important thing is that you do your business with other clubs. It's respectful to other clubs and then you move on from there," Pulis said.

Says he's 'nowhere near' ready to start for us, but suggests he'll be trying to get him game time in the near future.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9629 on: December 30, 2016, 07:07:18 PM »
Here's the full story with Pulis' quotes on Saido:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/10711867/saido-berahino-not-close-to-west-brom-recall-says-tony-pulis

Saido Berahino not close to West Brom recall says Tony Pulis.

Tony Pulis says Saido Berahino is not ready to be involved with West Brom's first-team as the striker is struggling with physical and mental aspects of his game.

Berahino has not played since September and has not scored in his last 14 games in all competitions for West Brom, a drought stretching back to February.

The 23-year-old recently returned to the club after being sent to a conditioning camp in France to help him lose weight and regain fitness.

But Pulis said he would not be involved against Southampton on Saturday and offered no timetable for a route back into his plans.

"Saido's getting on with his job. We need to get games into him. He is nowhere near ready we think to start a game of football so it's just about him getting games and that is what we are trying to do," Pulis said.

Pulis was then asked if it was a mental or physical issue affecting Berahino and he added: "It's both. He's trained every day and it's now just about getting him some games."

His continued absence has led to renewed talk of a move away from the club in January, with Berahino's future having been a hot topic in the last three transfer windows.

"We'll wait and see (if there is a possibility of him leaving in the January window). Every window has brought speculation and we have another four or five weeks to get through that," Pulis added.

Pulis confirmed last week that West Brom made a bid to sign Morgan Schneiderlin from Manchester United, who are willing to let the France midfielder leave for the right price.

But he said there was no further update on a move for the former Southampton man and added that there were other transfer priorities to be dealt with as well.

"Morgan is just one of two or three we're looking at. The most important thing is that you do your business with other clubs. It's respectful to other clubs and then you move on from there," Pulis said.

Says he's 'nowhere near' ready to start for us, but suggests he'll be trying to get him game time in the near future.

Under 23s. Practice matches etc.

Means he nowhere near to starting a PL match.  That said I'd be tempted to pick him next week in the Derby game.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9630 on: December 30, 2016, 07:10:13 PM »

Means he nowhere near to starting a PL match.  That said I'd be tempted to pick him next week in the Derby game.

Would seem the sensible choice if he wanted to give him game time. Realistically it'll be either him or Rondon, can't see him starting HRK

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9631 on: December 30, 2016, 07:17:26 PM »

Picking him if he is mentally and physically not ready would surely be tantamount to admitting that we aren't taking the FA cup seriously. Why do you say that Jacko?

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9632 on: December 30, 2016, 07:26:03 PM »
Picking him if he is mentally and physically not ready would surely be tantamount to admitting that we aren't taking the FA cup seriously. Why do you say that Jacko?

It could be that he's not ready for a premier league-level game, but fine to play against opponents from a lower division, in a cup match that may not have the same intensity of the premier league. Pulis mentioned twice that he needs games, so probably more valuable playing him in something competitive than in the reserves etc. Personally I don't think Pulis will be playing him again any time soon, and the quotes are just for the press and to let everyone know why he hasn't been playing.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9633 on: December 30, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »

Saido has proven to be something of a flat track bully. He's extremely good against defenders a level or 3 down from him. Would give us some indication of his fitness and mindset. Can't see starting a one time 25 million striker as not taking it seriously.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9634 on: December 30, 2016, 07:40:07 PM »
It could be that he's not ready for a premier league-level game, but fine to play against opponents from a lower division, in a cup match that may not have the same intensity of the premier league. Pulis mentioned twice that he needs games, so probably more valuable playing him in something competitive than in the reserves etc. Personally I don't think Pulis will be playing him again any time soon, and the quotes are just for the press and to let everyone know why he hasn't been playing.
If we go into the game thinking that way, we will lose. I think Derby will be extremely intense and they are a very decent side. If that is an argument for playing Saido, there are half a dozen others who would benefit from a game more than him

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9635 on: December 30, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »
Saido has proven to be something of a flat track bully. He's extremely good against defenders a level or 3 down from him. Would give us some indication of his fitness and mindset. Can't see starting a one time 25 million striker as not taking it seriously.
[/quote

Reading his comments, it seems that Pulis is well aware of his fitness and mindset and is pretty much of the opinion that both are rubbish. Can't see him picking Saido just to prove it to us fans. Will be surprised if he is on the bench (if he is, I think it is only as a con to potential suitors to suggest that he is nearly ready), and absolutely astonished if he is in the team.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9636 on: December 30, 2016, 07:49:24 PM »
If we go into the game thinking that way, we will lose. I think Derby will be extremely intense and they are a very decent side. If that is an argument for playing Saido, there are half a dozen others who would benefit from a game more than him

And Pulis may well rotate the squad to allow those half a dozen to get some game time too, given the amount of fixtures we're playing over the Christmas and new year period.

They may well be intense, but realistically we should be able to more than match them. And I doubt it will be as intense as a league game at all. They'll be focusing more on their league campaign and trying to get into the prem given their current position and it wouldn't surprise me if they rotate their team too.

The point that was being made was that it's clear Saido needs game time, so Pulis may think about using him against Derby as a baseline to see where he is.

Like I said though I personally doubt he'll play berahino again for a long time (if he does at all), and think his comments are just to give an excuse to why he isn't being played. However we'll then be relying on Rondon for 90 mins in a cup game or Kanu.

As an aside, would you see it as not taking the cup seriously if we started with Robson-Kanu instead of Rondon?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9637 on: December 30, 2016, 07:54:08 PM »
And Pulis may well rotate the squad to allow those half a dozen to get some game time too, given the amount of fixtures we're playing over the Christmas and new year period.

They may well be intense, but realistically we should be able to more than match them. And I doubt it will be as intense as a league game at all. They'll be focusing more on their league campaign and trying to get into the prem given their current position and it wouldn't surprise me if they rotate their team too.

The point that was being made was that it's clear Saido needs game time, so Pulis may think about using him against Derby as a baseline to see where he is.

Like I said though I personally doubt he'll play berahino again for a long time (if he does at all), and think his comments are just to give an excuse to why he isn't being played. However we'll then be relying on Rondon for 90 mins in a cup game or Kanu.

As an aside, would you see it as not taking the cup seriously if we started with Robson-Kanu instead of Rondon?
yes, a bit, but i understand what you are saying about rotation. At least HRK is part of the first team squad, so I could accept and understand that decision more than if Saido was picked.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:59:23 PM by timdon »

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9638 on: December 30, 2016, 08:22:54 PM »
yes, a bit, but i understand what you are saying about rotation. At least HRK is part of the first team squad, so I could accept and understand that decision more than if Saido was picked.

But saido has proved he can score goals for us... Robson kanu hasn't...

Robson kanu looked decent for Wales but you have to consider the players he has around him helping to create chances etc.

It could also be a way of saying to saido, he's your chance, get out there prove yourself and show teams why you would be worth taking a gamble on signing.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9639 on: December 30, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
Isn't Nice where Balotelli is? They'd get on great!

Wouldn't like to invite the pair of them to your house party though, be in the news the next day for having fires in your house and driving off drunk  ???

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9640 on: December 30, 2016, 08:39:31 PM »

Totally understand. Was playing devil's advocate. Agree that HRK probably deserves the place more due to being around the first team this season, but id argue that Saido is still the better player, and would see it as not taking the cup as seriously more if we started HRK than Saido to be honest

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9641 on: December 30, 2016, 08:40:44 PM »
Wouldn't like to invite the pair of them to your house party though, be in the news the next day for having fires in your house and driving off drunk  ???

A party is about the only place I would want Berahino. He'd be a right laugh. There is a player in Balotelli though.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9642 on: December 30, 2016, 08:44:42 PM »
Totally understand. Was playing devil's advocate. Agree that HRK probably deserves the place more due to being around the first team this season, but id argue that Saido is still the better player, and would see it as not taking the cup as seriously more if we started HRK than Saido to be honest

I can see us going 442 within HRK and Saido.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9643 on: December 30, 2016, 08:47:22 PM »
Everton have enquired about berahino apparently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4067208/amp/Everton-enquire-West-Brom-striker-Saido-Berahino-manager-Ronald-Koeman-eyes-firepower.html

Reading the story, it also mentions a few overseas clubs such as Inter and Roma

Aware it's the daily mail, but a few other online news agencies reporting it too
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:49:16 PM by TheBrom »

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9644 on: December 30, 2016, 08:56:47 PM »
I can see us going 442 within HRK and Saido.

If I'm honest I can't see him starting Rondon, so that could well be the case. However I worry we'll see HRK up top by himself.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9645 on: December 30, 2016, 09:13:22 PM »
Don`t think you`ll see Berahino in an Albion shirt again and hope not.I believe all the huhah about France was  a ruse to keep him away from the Hawthorns.we have to have him around while the transfer deadline approaches so were seen to be doing the right thing . Pulis wants him gone so do almost everyone at the Hawthorn`s. He won`t sign another contract and could leave this window or he will see out his contract and leave on his terms but mark my words he will leave soon.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9646 on: December 30, 2016, 09:20:05 PM »
Don`t think you`ll see Berahino in an Albion shirt again and hope not.I believe all the huhah about France was  a ruse to keep him away from the Hawthorns.we have to have him around while the transfer deadline approaches so were seen to be doing the right thing . Pulis wants him gone so do almost everyone at the Hawthorn`s. He won`t sign another contract and could leave this window or he will see out his contract and leave on his terms but mark my words he will leave soon.

I think that's pretty obvious, and not really what we were debating. He's out of contract in the summer and hasn't signed a new one

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9647 on: December 30, 2016, 09:33:43 PM »
But saido has proved he can score goals for us... Robson kanu hasn't...

Robson kanu looked decent for Wales but you have to consider the players he has around him helping to create chances etc.

It could also be a way of saying to saido, he's your chance, get out there prove yourself and show teams why you would be worth taking a gamble on signing.
Good grief Adam, how many chances to prove himself has he had? People have said exactly the same thing for at least the last 2 transfer windows. It's over between us and Saido, there is no going back, no new Saido, anything else is a dream

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9648 on: December 30, 2016, 09:41:21 PM »
You are probably right, but if I was in HRK's shoes and Berahino was picked in a cup game over me I would be thinking what the hell did you sign me for if I'm not even going to be picked over someone with a stinking attitude who hasn't even been part of the squad for quite a while. In this instance I think squad morale may be more important

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9649 on: December 30, 2016, 10:09:39 PM »
He was out on boxing day was pretty melow, when asked 'why are you out, shouldn't you be getting fit' he responded with 'what's the point when you know you're never going to be picked anyway'... take that as you will

Good.Hope he is as drunk of with the club as we are with him
Waste of space who has shown total disrespect for the club and fans.Cant understand why some still defend him