Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556607 times)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #9250 on: September 27, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »
It's interesting to speculate, but surely the easiest thing for him to do is go and get paid a shed load in China. Big payday for him and his agent. He can always come back when we've all forgotten what an unprofessional brat he is.

The other scenarios just seem like too much trouble.  The contract situation will come under a different legal jurisdiction once he's left and signed for a foreign club, so we're a bit in the dark here.  But as I see it, there are two problems:

1. It assumes that there is  club somewhere, let's say in Europe, which is happy to have him parked there for a week or a month or whatever for minimal return (or if, as Stokelad suggests, he can't move clubs  more than once in a window, for three months.  This means the initial buying club will need to pay him and probably play him for three months).  Now if you are, say, a Ligue 2 side skimping for every penny, are you really going to forego the potential return on a notional £20,000,000 asset to do a favour for a big boy for peanuts?

2. If the club he first goes to makes agreement to sell him on for a notional amount to a EPL club, would that be a binding contract since it is made before they actually own his playing contract?  Would it be enforceable if the first club decided to try to cash in? If players' contracts all have to be lodged with the club's FA, would they sanction the kind of agreement being talked about.

I love these what if threads  :-\
Mike

Stokelad is right that players can't move twice between clubs in the same transfer window.  However, there's a subtle difference here.

Berahino's first move would not be "between clubs".  He'd be leaving us at the end of his contract on 30th June as a free agent.  After that he is free to sign for another club, in this case abroad.  Signing as a free agent is not in any way restricted by the transfer window.  It is only transfers of registrations between clubs which are limited to just one such move within the same window.

I still don't think he even has to kick a ball for the foreign club.  Sign for the club as a free agent on 1st August.  Transfer or loan to an English club on 2nd August.  Only the latter transfer is governed by the transfer window rules.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9251 on: October 01, 2016, 02:14:36 AM »
Club offering this twonk a new contract, I'd let him go too much water under bridge and all that. No show for couple of seasons Albion should be going after him for trying to impersonate a professional footballer

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9252 on: October 01, 2016, 04:35:50 AM »
Maybe our new owner is not so happy to see Saido walk away for nothing. ::)
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9253 on: October 01, 2016, 06:41:01 AM »
Club offering this twonk a new contract, I'd let him go too much water under bridge and all that. No show for couple of seasons Albion should be going after him for trying to impersonate a professional footballer

More about putting handcuffs on him to stop him walking away for nothing I think.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9254 on: October 01, 2016, 07:59:11 AM »
Not sure I want him here any longer than necessary.
Baggie in Southampton

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9255 on: October 01, 2016, 08:15:18 AM »
On current from there is no justification for offering him a new contract. Where is going to play in the team under Pulis?
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9256 on: October 01, 2016, 08:18:50 AM »
I think how this pans out will signal the direction of our club under the new owners.
For me, under Pulis, Berahino has very little future and he knows it. Told he could leave, played out of position, given very little support and quite often deflected onto as scapegoat for poor results. Option to walk away at the end of the season with a big signing on fee as a free agent. I  can not see any incentive for him to sign.
If he has been given a conversation about the future of our club and it doesn't involve Pulis and he has the possibility of resurrecting his career (no club bigger than us will pick him up now, imo) whilst improving his financial position then he may take it. He also knows scoring goals will win over the majority of any fans who have any issue with him (very fickle bunch!).

Doesn't Pulis' contract run out at the same time as Berahino? Anybody seen any talk of negotiating a new deal with him  :-X
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9257 on: October 01, 2016, 08:30:27 AM »
I think how this pans out will signal the direction of our club under the new owners.
For me, under Pulis, Berahino has very little future and he knows it. Told he could leave, played out of position, given very little support and quite often deflected onto as scapegoat for poor results. Option to walk away at the end of the season with a big signing on fee as a free agent. I  can not see any incentive for him to sign.
If he has been given a conversation about the future of our club and it doesn't involve Pulis and he has the possibility of resurrecting his career (no club bigger than us will pick him up now, imo) whilst improving his financial position then he may take it. He also knows scoring goals will win over the majority of any fans who have any issue with him (very fickle bunch!).

Doesn't Pulis' contract run out at the same time as Berahino? Anybody seen any talk of negotiating a new deal with him  :-X

I've got a lot of sympathy with your argument, I get the feeling that there's "things going on in the background" that we're not aware of yet.
As far as I am aware, the only media running this story is the Evening Mail, so it could be picked up by the Mirror.
Purely "click bait" for me at the moment.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9258 on: October 01, 2016, 08:37:41 AM »
Getting fit, scoring goals and playing like you care are the first things he should be doing. If he can do that people will forgive him.

If he can do all of these then he would be welcome back due to his ability, cant see it myself

The only reason he is worth a new contract is so that we get a fee right now.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9259 on: October 01, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
His agent will tell him not to unless he screws us, big time.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9260 on: October 01, 2016, 09:48:43 AM »

Absolute rubbish, this kid had everything going for him, HE decided to sulk, HE decided to pile the pounds on and not train properly, HE decided to drink and drive, HE decided to indulge in stupid laughing gas activities.
He has probably wasted his career, he is supposedly a professional, if he did not want to play for West Bromwich Albion until the summer of 2017, he should not have signed a contract to do so or structured it to enable a get out clause.

Trying to blame TP in any way is just opportunism and totally inaccurate.
Baggie in Southampton

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9261 on: October 01, 2016, 10:36:57 AM »
He's not Corberan, he's a very naughty boy.

Honestly this stupid boy, in sulking, has cut his nose off to spite his face.
For all that we might worry about how he could shaft the club when he goes, truth is he has shafted himself.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9262 on: October 01, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »
Absolute rubbish, this kid had everything going for him, HE decided to sulk, HE decided to pile the pounds on and not train properly, HE decided to drink and drive, HE decided to indulge in stupid laughing gas activities.
He has probably wasted his career, he is supposedly a professional, if he did not want to play for West Bromwich Albion until the summer of 2017, he should not have signed a contract to do so or structured it to enable a get out clause.

Agreed, Pulis has never made a scapegoat out of him, there were times he should have, Watford at home last season, he just said everyone misses penalties, when he should have said Saido cost us 3 points.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9263 on: October 01, 2016, 11:08:43 AM »
Let's break this down;

• Comes up through our academy
  • breaks into the first team, with what looks like bags of potential
  • Has a great season
  • Clubs show interest, he shows ambition and obviously wants to play for a top club (any player that don't, obviously don't believe him them self so i cant blame him)
  • Gets stick off the media for his off the pitch antics, fans also hate him
  • has a massive dip in form, can't hit a barn door atm

Result = a SECOND improved contract offer..... makes me wonder who's more stupid, saido or our club?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9264 on: October 01, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
Let's break this down;

• Comes up through our academy
  • breaks into the first team, with what looks like bags of potential
  • Has a great season
  • Clubs show interest, he shows ambition and obviously wants to play for a top club (any player that don't, obviously don't believe him them self so i cant blame him)
  • Gets stick off the media for his off the pitch antics, fans also hate him
  • has a massive dip in form, can't hit a barn door atm

Result = a SECOND improved contract offer..... makes me wonder who's more stupid, saido or our club?

Has Saido been offered a new contract?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9265 on: October 01, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »
On current from there is no justification for offering him a new contract. Where is going to play in the team under Pulis?

More a case of us trying to protect ourselves from him leaving for nothing. The club have made a huge mistake by not selling him.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9266 on: October 01, 2016, 11:37:03 AM »

Has Saido been offered a new contract?

There is one lined up, apparently

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9267 on: October 01, 2016, 12:03:10 PM »
Hope he does sign a new contract with Torquay because he`s been on holiday for last 18 months and that's a nice holiday destination GET RID SOON AS POSS

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9268 on: October 01, 2016, 12:20:40 PM »
Would be nice to see what he could do with Chadli in the team.

Potential there for sure.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9269 on: October 02, 2016, 09:51:19 AM »

TP is culpable along with JP and Berahino himself and you completely miss the point. It is about the future and what the signing of a new contract might mean. :-[

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9270 on: October 02, 2016, 05:20:05 PM »
Would be nice to see what he could do with Chadli in the team.

Potential there for sure.

And with this in mind where the hell does he fit in?

Biggest waste of space at the club; get shot ASAP.

I still believe he is the the most overrated player in the whole league

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9271 on: October 02, 2016, 10:25:16 PM »
TP is culpable along with JP and Berahino himself and you completely miss the point. It is about the future and what the signing of a new contract might mean. :-[

The point is that your post was totally inaccurate, based on absolutely nothing of any factual substance. :-*
Baggie in Southampton

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9272 on: October 03, 2016, 08:00:58 AM »
The point is that your post was totally inaccurate, based on absolutely nothing of any factual substance. :-*
Pulis told Berahino he could leave?
Pulis has played him out of position?
Do our strikers receive little support?
Pulis has talked of Berahino's missed opportunities in games costing points?

But anyway...you are still missing the point.  :P

If the circumstances remain the same then I wouldn't expect any contract to be signed. If (and I don't expect it to happen) he were to sign it might suggest a future for the club that doesn't involve Pulis.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9273 on: October 03, 2016, 09:37:34 AM »
I simply fail to understand the arguments of those who would like him to sign a new contract and live in hope that he will suddenly recreate himself as the saviour of the Albion. It just seems like lahlah land to me

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9274 on: October 03, 2016, 09:40:29 AM »
I simply fail to understand the arguments of those who would like him to sign a new contract and live in hope that he will suddenly recreate himself as the saviour of the Albion. It just seems like lahlah land to me

Seems to be where a lot of people are living nowadays. How anyone could still want him here is beyond me.