Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556486 times)

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #9125 on: September 18, 2016, 08:43:27 PM »
Saido said he wouldn't play for Peace again, not the club. Either way it was naive and very stupid on his part but far from a hanging offence.

That's what happens when you get ****** over in a gentleman's agreement. You blame him, but you don't know what he was promised behind closed doors. Peace has **** all over his employees in the past, and has continued to do so up until his departure. I'm not saying Berahino isn't a prick, but put yourself in his shoes for a minute rather than forming a judgement on what you read?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9126 on: September 18, 2016, 08:51:30 PM »
Bang on, and that was the problem. He wanted a move, didn't get it, small clubs came in and that wasn't acceptable to him. Rightfully so too, as  he was made promises, which were reneged.

But the "promise" cannot have been a blanket one. The deal still had to be acceptable to the club.  The club can't have "reneged" unless it had turned down what should have an acceptable offer from a club which Berahino was prepared to go to.

Spurs offering £23m on the last day of the window, payable £6m upfront, £3m a year for 4 years plus £5m if Spurs win the Champions League cannot constitute a "renege" if we turned it down.  Him wanting to go there was irrelevant - Spurs weren't offering the club an acceptable deal.

I believe Stoke for sure and possibly Palace offered a deal which was acceptable to the club this summer.  Berahino refused to go. It was right to refuse to go there just as much as it was the club's right to turn down Spurs' "offer".

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9127 on: September 18, 2016, 08:52:48 PM »
It say everything about what a top club thinks of him that the only takers were Stoke, Palace and Watford

Even going on a free won't guarantee a big club coming for him it will still be your Stokes and Palaces.

His actions alone along with his attitude will see him fail to hit the highs he craves

He may well get a move to a Chelsea but only to fill homegrown quotas

He has gone backwards and only has himself to blame I'm sorry too say

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:01:53 PM by tommcneill »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9128 on: September 18, 2016, 08:57:45 PM »
Can't stand the little rat but its no coincidence that Saido star tailed off from the moment pulis rocked up at Albion, he hasn't exactly played to the players strengths, will he regain that sparkle when he finally joins another club? I'm not so sure he will

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9129 on: September 18, 2016, 09:00:48 PM »
after yesterday pulis should utilise chandil behind rondon,unless there is an injury he may not get a game again

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9130 on: September 18, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »
But the "promise" cannot have been a blanket one. The deal still had to be acceptable to the club.  The club can't have "reneged" unless it had turned down what should have an acceptable offer from a club which Berahino was prepared to go to.

Spurs offering £23m on the last day of the window, payable £6m upfront, £3m a year for 4 years plus £5m if Spurs win the Champions League cannot constitute a "renege" if we turned it down.  Him wanting to go there was irrelevant - Spurs weren't offering the club an acceptable deal.

I believe Stoke for sure and possibly Palace offered a deal which was acceptable to the club this summer.  Berahino refused to go. It was right to refuse to go there just as much as it was the club's right to turn down Spurs' "offer".

Berahino was told he could go, the club changed their mind and that is why we have a pi**ed off player. I agree with you, we were right to turn down the offer, but Peace went back on what he had promised. I can assure you of that.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9131 on: September 18, 2016, 09:46:51 PM »
Any promise on a deal had to be based on a price that was acceptable to the club bearing in mind that the player had two years to run on his contract and at the time was our leading goal scorer. So if any part of the fee was dependent on SPURS winning the Champions League the only people Saido should have been p**sed off with were his suitors.

All that is water under the bridge but if he did turn down a move to Stoke or Palace in the hope of getting a move to somewhere better on the strength of a season getting splinters in his backside sitting on our bench then I think he is going to be deeply disappointed.

Sadly nobody wins Berahino's career is stalled the club has lost a potential decent fee.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9132 on: September 18, 2016, 09:48:36 PM »
Berahino was told he could go, the club changed their mind and that is why we have a pi**ed off player. I agree with you, we were right to turn down the offer, but Peace went back on what he had promised. I can assure you of that.

Sorry but you are missing my point.  Being told by Peace that "he could go" was not and never could have been unconditional.  Minimum conditions had to be met otherwise he could have gone to a club of his choice for a quid. That clearly was never said or inferred.  What would have been said was "you can go provided that we get an acceptable offer".  The big question is whether that the conditions were clearly stated and understood.  It appears that they weren't, just like Odemwingie not grasping that being sold to QPR was conditional on us getting Hoilett from QPR, who then refused to come, so the deal was off.   A coincidental misunderstanding? Agents and players not listening properly?  Peace being deliberately vague?

It's very hard to conclude that the club reneged on any deal with Berahino.  Unless the asking price AND terms of payment were met, and I think this is the crux of it, then the club didn't renege. 

I think the issue was that Spurs did offer £23m, which was an acceptable price, and so Berahino might have thought he was entitled to go.  But Levy making that offer far too late on the day for us to get a replacement, and not offering anywhere near enough cash to buy a replacement even if we had time to sign one, were conditions which the club found unacceptable, so no deal. That is why Berahino feels that the club reneged, and that is why the club felt that it didn't receive an acceptable offer, hence the fallout.

I heard all this from very high up within Tottenham, from somebody totally fed up once again with Levy's pathetic attempts to avoid paying anything substantial upfront. 

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9133 on: September 18, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »
Can't stand the little rat but its no coincidence that Saido star tailed off from the moment pulis rocked up at Albion, he hasn't exactly played to the players strengths, will he regain that sparkle when he finally joins another club? I'm not so sure he will

Absolute rubbish re Pulis, his form went when he started angling for a move.
Baggie in Southampton

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9134 on: September 18, 2016, 11:49:59 PM »
the time frame  from when Saido tailed off to pulis rocking up at Albion aint that far apart.season 14/15 he scored 20 goals how many the second half of the seson when pulis came in january 15 i couldnt say,but its a fair point to say pulis hasnt played him like previous managers as he aint big enough up top for him and limited as he cant head a ball.used to think he could possibly play number 10 but we now know he cant.hes finished under pulis because he hasnt the physicality or stature to play in a pulis C/F role and anyway we dont need him now,sooner hes gone the better for all concerned

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9135 on: September 19, 2016, 07:11:04 AM »

For me its when he got called up for England, started reading the press and believing the hype, and having an agent who thought he could make a fortune.....

I wonder if SB is still keen on that move to Stoke?
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9136 on: September 19, 2016, 07:32:46 AM »
For me its when he got called up for England, started reading the press and believing the hype, and having an agent who thought he could make a fortune.....

I wonder if SB is still keen on that move to Stoke?

Any hopes he had of a big money move to a Champions League club have all but vanished.
He might even have to take a step backwards in order to try and resurrect his carear, that might mean a move to a Championship club. With his behavioural record he might be glad of the move to Stoke.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:37:28 AM by tuamigos »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Matty

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #9137 on: September 19, 2016, 07:49:36 AM »
14/15 season Berahino scored seven league goals under Irvine and seven under Pulis (if you count West Ham away as Pulis's first game).

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9138 on: September 19, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »
In hindsight it is a shame that one of our own academy products has 209 pages of discussion about him, yet 150 of those are probably non footballing related and more related to him leaving/wanting him to leave/his attitude.

At the end of the day, regardless of what has happened both parties have suffered, we have missed the boat of getting some decent money in for a wantaway player, and his career has stalled for 2 years.

The only silverlining to this story is that hes only going to be here for another 7/8 months.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9139 on: September 19, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »
In hindsight it is a shame that one of our own academy products has 209 pages of discussion about him, yet 150 of those are probably non footballing related and more related to him leaving/wanting him to leave/his attitude.

At the end of the day, regardless of what has happened both parties have suffered, we have missed the boat of getting some decent money in for a wantaway player, and his career has stalled for 2 years.

The only silverlining to this story is that hes only going to be here for another 7/8 months.

I really think he will be gone in January.  If he hasn't been sold then we might as well do a loan deal as it will increasingly become a toxic atmosphere if he's still here.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9140 on: September 19, 2016, 08:57:59 AM »
I really think he will be gone in January.  If he hasn't been sold then we might as well do a loan deal as it will increasingly become a toxic atmosphere if he's still here.

Letting him go in January would be tricky, as no club would be willing to pay anything more than 5-6 million for him as hes out of contract, the only way I think we will sell in January is if we have a big suspicion that hes looking to go abroad, even then he might just refuse the move.

All in all, I will be glad when its all over. We saw on saturday what a good player in the '10' position can do, 2 goals and 2 assists.

I would rather have Robson Kanu as back up to Rondon aswell, so for me he just doesnt fit in the team.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9141 on: September 19, 2016, 09:00:20 AM »
If true it seems remarkably similar to what Odemwingie hinted at. JP it would seem has left us with a very disgruntled young man as well as costing the club a considerable amount of money.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9142 on: September 19, 2016, 09:09:58 AM »
I would imagine it was more a case of Berahino can go if we get the right offer in.  We didn't get the right offer, so he didn't go (rightly or wrongly).

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9143 on: September 19, 2016, 09:19:25 AM »
If true it seems remarkably similar to what Odemwingie hinted at. JP it would seem has left us with a very disgruntled young man as well as costing the club a considerable amount of money.

Perhaps both players don't understand the word "if".
Allegedly Dan Ashworth told Odemwingie he could go "if" we could get a suitable replacement. We didn't, so he didn't.

By the same argument Saido could have been told he could go "if" the deal was right for WBA & we could get a suitable replacement. The Spurs offer allegedly wasn't right for us, so the "if" condition wasn't met.

Just like being at work. You get a bonus "if" certain conditions are met, "if" you don't meet them, you don't get the bonus, disappointing, but that's the deal.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9144 on: September 19, 2016, 09:48:17 AM »
That's true, in the same way that Peace was looking out for himself by denying him the move. I agree that Peace was right to stand his ground, but I also feel it's unfair to hammer Berahino for doing what's right for him. It's not like the kid is on 100k/week.

I'll hammer him for not doing the job he's paid to do to the best of his ability while under contract, he's not on massive money in the grand scheme of things but he'll still be earning more in a week than some on here earn in a year. The very least I expect from players is to make use of their talent when called upon, everyone has bad games but this lad doesn't look the least bit interested and that I can't accept.

Peace was fine standing his ground in that first window with Spurs messing us about with those late bids but we proved our point at the time. The next window when we had offers over £20m realistically we really should have sold him as it was clear he wasn't willing to give his all for us and nothing has changed. Ultimately this mess will cost the club a fortune and cost Saido his career to a point as he's stood still for the best part of two years, absolutely no winners from all of this.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9145 on: September 19, 2016, 09:55:12 AM »
Letting him go in January would be tricky, as no club would be willing to pay anything more than 5-6 million for him as hes out of contract, the only way I think we will sell in January is if we have a big suspicion that hes looking to go abroad, even then he might just refuse the move.

All in all, I will be glad when its all over. We saw on saturday what a good player in the '10' position can do, 2 goals and 2 assists.

I would rather have Robson Kanu as back up to Rondon aswell, so for me he just doesnt fit in the team.

If Berahino had been in Rondon's position on Saturday, he wouldn't have played Chadli in and the chance would have been wasted.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9146 on: September 19, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »
Let's not pretend Saido's appalling behavior suddenly started when he wanted a move, he's been a vile individual from a young age.

Remember his loan spell at Brentford? 4 goals in two games but sent packing as the manager said that he's just not worth the hassle. Upon speaking to Brentford and finding out about how he'd behaved Hodgson recommended that he was sacked, only for Ashworth to beg that he got another chance.

He's universally disliked by his team mates, the senior ones have even talked with the coaching staff to ensure he isn't allowed near the young players, due to concern about his influence.

I only go for the beer.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9147 on: September 19, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »

He's universally disliked by his team mates, the senior ones have even talked with the coaching staff to ensure he isn't allowed near the young players, due to concern about his influence.

Really? Yet he's in contact with all of them & England U21 colleagues on social media
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9148 on: September 19, 2016, 11:49:14 AM »
Really? Yet he's in contact with all of them & England U21 colleagues on social media

Well, that's that then.
I only go for the beer.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9149 on: September 19, 2016, 05:10:52 PM »
not sure if this is old news but it says he has rejected a new 4year contract.
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/2/849926924?-11200:789:0