Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556580 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #7175 on: February 12, 2016, 04:11:08 PM »
Tactically he doesn't suit Pulis hence his desire to sell him and Saido is probably not in as good as shape as he might be in part because of lack game time which gives Pulis the excuse to marginalise him without really being challenged about his team selection.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7176 on: February 12, 2016, 04:18:07 PM »
Didn't he play a decent amount under Pulis last year?

I don't get where this "he doesn't want to play him" comes from.  He's clearly our best striker and Pulis wants us to stay up - why wouldn't he play him if he's fit and his head's in the right place? 

I refuse to believe that if Berahino had knuckled down in the summer, come back fit and putting the effort in that Pulis would not have played him.  This is what people seem to think would have happened.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7177 on: February 12, 2016, 04:27:28 PM »
Didn't he play a decent amount under Pulis last year?

I don't get where this "he doesn't want to play him" comes from.  He's clearly our best striker and Pulis wants us to stay up - why wouldn't he play him if he's fit and his head's in the right place? 

I refuse to believe that if Berahino had knuckled down in the summer, come back fit and putting the effort in that Pulis would not have played him.  This is what people seem to think would have happened.
I think it's because Pulis wants a Centre Forward who offers more than goals, hence his preference of Rondon, who whilst inferior in quality, runs the channels more and works aarder.
Berahino is a great finisher but doesn't works hard enough

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7178 on: February 12, 2016, 05:20:53 PM »
Tactically he doesn't fit into the big bloke up top who will chase long hopeful balls out of defence and hustle and bustle. Berahino is not really a number 10 ideally he needs to play through the middle on the shoulder of the last defender and have balls played through to him. Pulis does not see him as the best striker at the club it is simple as that.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7179 on: February 12, 2016, 06:29:38 PM »
I don't think that's true.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7180 on: February 13, 2016, 02:52:53 AM »
West Bromwich Albion ‏@WBAFCofficial 

TP: "Saido's nowhere near as fit or sharp as we want him, it's going to take a bit of time but hopefully we can get him to good level.

When will he be fit enough in Pulis' mind?

That comment is a sad indictment on Pulis and his staff. Why was Berahino allowed to become so unfit? He is a professional footballer trained by professional staff and should have been fit (if not match fit) before a ball was kicked at the start of the season.. I am more inclined to think that it is just a pathetic attempt by Pulis to camouflage his failings as a manager/coach. When will Pulis stop criticising Berahino in public; it must be totally demoralising for the player. I have never heard any other manager so scathing about a player's fitness.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:54:25 AM by royhan »

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7181 on: February 13, 2016, 06:35:15 AM »
That comment is a sad indictment on Pulis and his staff. Why was Berahino allowed to become so unfit? He is a professional footballer trained by professional staff and should have been fit (if not match fit) before a ball was kicked at the start of the season.. I am more inclined to think that it is just a pathetic attempt by Pulis to camouflage his failings as a manager/coach. When will Pulis stop criticising Berahino in public; it must be totally demoralising for the player. I have never heard any other manager so scathing about a player's fitness.

Not sticking up for TP here but most of Berahino's short comings are his own making.
I think Berahino had it in his mind that he was going to call the shot's and if he played up and let himself go then the club would be happy to let him go.
I think Pulis was preying for him to go in the window so that he could use the funds to add the players he believe we needed.
If Berahino decides to feed his face and not train 100% I'm not sure what Pulis can do.
The training staff can only help Berahino if he wants to be helped.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7182 on: February 13, 2016, 07:19:07 AM »
So are we saying here that the players don't step on the scales and have the weight recorded every day at training?
Stats seem to be the be all and end all around football these days and it's hard to imagine this particular one isn't checked.
Weight loss as well as gain can be an indicator of serious underlying medical conditions.
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Pulisisabaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #7183 on: February 13, 2016, 09:12:56 AM »
Berahino was dropped for two months for ripping the chairman after his dream move felt through then he came back overweight.On the other hand Poco who was dropped for a year had every reason to comeback with a gut is in good shape.The lad has to take responsibility for his life/future and act more responsible.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7184 on: February 13, 2016, 09:35:18 AM »
So are we saying here that the players don't step on the scales and have the weight recorded every day at training?
Stats seem to be the be all and end all around football these days and it's hard to imagine this particular one isn't checked.
Weight loss as well as gain can be an indicator of serious underlying medical conditions.
Or simply not looking after yourself off the pitch /training.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7185 on: February 13, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
I don't take too much notice of what TP says in press conferences, he's got a Phd in subterfuge.

There is no doubt that Saido has got bulkier of the past few months, but I'm not sure it's fat, he's been on one to one's with a personal trainer, which would suggest that it's muscle he's built. I'm also not sure how Steve Clarke can say he's about 2 kilo's overweight, just by looking at him?

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #7186 on: February 13, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
I don't take too much notice of what TP says in press conferences, he's got a Phd in subterfuge.

There is no doubt that Saido has got bulkier of the past few months, but I'm not sure it's fat, he's been on one to one's with a personal trainer, which would suggest that it's muscle he's built. I'm also not sure how Steve Clarke can say he's about 2 kilo's overweight, just by looking at him?

I stopped taking notice of press conferences by managers when Mowbray kept telling us about the positives we can take from games we have juste been embarrassed in

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7187 on: February 13, 2016, 05:32:57 PM »
Complex character but first class attitude today.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7188 on: February 13, 2016, 05:37:03 PM »
Much better today, looks to be getting it together.
Baggie in Southampton

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7189 on: February 13, 2016, 05:44:56 PM »
Did you two go today?! He did next to nothing today. Closed one ball down in the full 90 minutes and then sat back inviting pressure. He's not arsed at all.

BaggieBrainy

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #7190 on: February 13, 2016, 05:47:20 PM »
You clearly don't understand football if you think Berahino had a poor game and did "next to nothing" , he put a real
Shift in and did a lot of the dirty work I believe he's key to the end of our season with him in the side we could have a fantastic finish

Don't like the kid but can't fault him today seems to have his head down again working hard for the "team" by himself

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7191 on: February 13, 2016, 05:48:53 PM »
Did you two go today?! He did next to nothing today. Closed one ball down in the full 90 minutes and then sat back inviting pressure. He's not arsed at all.

Not from what I saw. Spent the whole game playing his part in a defensive display. Staying in position, closing down etc. Didn't do very much going forward but then again that was down to how we set up rather than him. And if Anichebe had put a better ball through to him near the end he could have bagged the second.

210 consecutive minutes. He's fit.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7192 on: February 13, 2016, 05:57:33 PM »
You are aware he played behind the striker ? , fantastic shift and some great tackles on Barkley too. 110 % effort which surprised me , I've been disgusted by his attitude but i can't take away from him Today.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7193 on: February 13, 2016, 06:25:01 PM »

Don't agree with that at all. He did nothing offensively, however that was his role today. He put a shift in for the team.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7194 on: February 13, 2016, 06:49:10 PM »
He worked tirelessly in a deeper role today. Offensively he struggled to have an impact but it was his work rate and defensive work that made the difference.
Boing Boing

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7195 on: February 13, 2016, 07:36:11 PM »
Some people are just blinkered! Whatever you think of him, if you watched the game today, he put in a real shift and was a real team player!

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7196 on: February 13, 2016, 10:27:48 PM »
I didn't go but your the only person ive heard slate berahino for his effort today,wm radio and sky sports said he put lots of effort in but didn't get the opportunity to attack

smudger 2007

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7197 on: February 13, 2016, 10:35:29 PM »
My feeling is he's not being played in his natural position. When he plays on the shoulder he's a lot better but it's hard to get him in that position in our formation. Pulls clearly prefers someone who holds the ball up in the lone striker role. My opinion is at home against some of the lesser sides we could afford to play him in that role. And his goals/better performances would come.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7198 on: February 13, 2016, 10:38:05 PM »
My feeling is he's not being played in his natural position. When he plays on the shoulder he's a lot better but it's hard to get him in that position in our formation. Pulls clearly prefers someone who holds the ball up in the lone striker role. My opinion is at home against some of the lesser sides we could afford to play him in that role. And his goals/better performances would come.

Unfortunately it isn't just Berahino who is not played in his natural position.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

smudger 2007

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7199 on: February 13, 2016, 10:49:56 PM »
Unfortunately it isn't just Berahino who is not played in his natural position.
very true. Two proper full backs would be nice can't see it in the near future mind