Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556514 times)

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #6500 on: January 30, 2016, 11:00:31 PM »
Even with the most almighty strop he is our only class striker.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6501 on: January 30, 2016, 11:00:54 PM »
The only available player worth considering would be Remy.

I think he's agreed a deal with Leicester (£11.5m)

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #6502 on: January 30, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
IF Berahino is sold the deal must surely be completed at least 24 hours before the window closes. What then? Who do we replace him with?
burnleys andre gray and phillips of qpr wouldn't be bad shouts.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6503 on: January 30, 2016, 11:10:09 PM »
burnleys andre gray and phillips of qpr wouldn't be bad shouts.

Agreed.  Chris Martin of Derby a good alternative to Gray.  Both consistently look like they could step up immediately to the Premier League. 

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6504 on: January 30, 2016, 11:16:57 PM »
Agreed.  Chris Martin of Derby a good alternative to Gray.  Both consistently look like they could step up immediately to the Premier League.

Martin a bit of  donkey, decent Championship striker, in the Glen Murray mould. Think Gray would be a big risk also.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6505 on: January 30, 2016, 11:29:30 PM »
Martin a bit of  donkey, decent Championship striker, in the Glen Murray mould. Think Gray would be a big risk also.

Totally disagree re Martin. Has been the best striker in the Championship this year and last year and averages a goal every 2 games although his game is not just about scoring.

Gray has more upside potential though - could well go on to play for England

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6506 on: January 30, 2016, 11:37:12 PM »
This has just been posted on the Mail on Sunday website

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3424663/Saido-Berahino-Tottenham-drag-final-hours-West-Brom-unwilling-sell-striker-25m.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

If true then it's intriguing.   It doesn't say when the "£23m plus add-ons" offer was made or rejected.   The August offer which was rejected was £22m including add-ons,£4m of which was highly speculative, so the £23m plus add-ons may well be a new offer.  If so, then I would suggest that Spurs are very close to landing him.

That might explain why explain why there seems to be some progress tonight on us buying Phillips according to a contact of mine who is very close to the QPR board.  We seem to be anticipating doing the Saido deal.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6507 on: January 30, 2016, 11:42:49 PM »

Totally disagree re Martin. Has been the best striker in the Championship this year and last year and averages a goal every 2 games although his game is not just about scoring.

Gray has more upside potential though - could well go on to play for England

Martin thrives in sustained possession in the final third where you can turn him around. But we need him to help us get that sustained pressure. Not be an old fashioned target man (because he's rubbish at that). In return players need to help turn him around.

Straight quote from the Derby forum. No thanks.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6508 on: January 30, 2016, 11:45:21 PM »
This has just been posted on the Mail on Sunday website

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3424663/Saido-Berahino-Tottenham-drag-final-hours-West-Brom-unwilling-sell-striker-25m.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

If true then it's intriguing.   It doesn't say when the "£23m plus add-ons" offer was made or rejected.   The August offer which was rejected was £22m including add-ons,£4m of which was highly speculative, so the £23m plus add-ons may well be a new offer.  If so, then I would suggest that Spurs are very close to landing him.

That might explain why explain why there seems to be some progress tonight on us buying Phillips according to a contact of mine who is very close to the QPR board.  We seem to be anticipating doing the Saido deal.

I read the DailyMail and it often has lots of poor journalism throughout the site. I imagine they meant to put £22 million instead of £23 million. For a massive paper, they don't have half some terrible research going into their stories.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6509 on: January 30, 2016, 11:46:25 PM »
Martin thrives in sustained possession in the final third where you can turn him around. But we need him to help us get that sustained pressure. Not be an old fashioned target man (because he's rubbish at that). In return players need to help turn him around.

Straight quote from the Derby forum. No thanks.

Rondon would be the target man.  I've seen Martin in around 10 games this season and wouldn't fully agree with that Derby forum quote.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6510 on: January 30, 2016, 11:46:43 PM »
I read the DailyMail and it often has lots of poor journalism throughout the site. I imagine they meant to put £22 million instead of £23 million. For a massive paper, they don't have half some terrible research going into their stories.

Read to me as if it was the bid from the summer.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6511 on: January 30, 2016, 11:49:59 PM »
.  If it has poor journalism why bother reading it ?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6512 on: January 30, 2016, 11:50:13 PM »

They certainly aren't always right but some of their journalists are very good (Ashton for one).  Even if they meant £22m rather than £23m, the offer in August was £22m including add-one, not £22m plus add-ons.

And it doesn't explain the apparent step-up in interest in Phillips tonight.  The only way that deal will happen if we don't sell Saido is if we are selling Chester.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6513 on: January 30, 2016, 11:50:26 PM »
Rondon would be the target man.  I've seen Martin in around 10 games this season and wouldn't fully agree with that Derby forum quote.

I think Chris Martin needs us and we need him. He would be rubbish anywhere else IMO and literally whenever he has a half good game we are immense. He has to be a lone striker. Imagine if he went in to say a Wolves side that played 4-4-2, he would be rubbish and get 10 a season. He gets the service from our very good quality side and I think a lot of 'lumps' who hold the ball up would get 15 a season in that position with our squad.

Sorry mate, another quote. No go at any cost as far as I'm concerned.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6514 on: January 30, 2016, 11:52:39 PM »
I think Chris Martin needs us and we need him. He would be rubbish anywhere else IMO and literally whenever he has a half good game we are immense. He has to be a lone striker. Imagine if he went in to say a Wolves side that played 4-4-2, he would be rubbish and get 10 a season. He gets the service from our very good quality side and I think a lot of 'lumps' who hold the ball up would get 15 a season in that position with our squad.

Sorry mate, another quote. No go at any cost as far as I'm concerned.

Just as well we are all allowed to hold different opinions then!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6515 on: January 30, 2016, 11:52:49 PM »
One of the papers has Newcastle back in for him. Not sure which because wasn't listening to Match of the Day properly.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6516 on: January 30, 2016, 11:55:22 PM »
Just as well we are all allowed to hold different opinions then!

But to clarify, you advocate signing a player (Martin) to play off Rondon when Derby have played 1 up front for the last 3 seasons and their own fans say he cannot play in a 2. AND, they supposedly turned down £10 million from Swansea in the summer.

He's not fit to lace Berahino's boots.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6517 on: January 30, 2016, 11:55:55 PM »
One of the papers has Newcastle back in for him. Not sure which because wasn't listening to Match of the Day properly.

JP will be creaming himself.  Price going up by the hour.  He'll end up getting close to £25m and be fully vindicated for his stance.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6518 on: January 30, 2016, 11:56:54 PM »
They certainly aren't always right but some of their journalists are very good (Ashton for one).  Even if they meant £22m rather than £23m, the offer in August was £22m including add-one, not £22m plus add-ons.

And it doesn't explain the apparent step-up in interest in Phillips tonight.  The only way that deal will happen if we don't sell Saido is if we are selling Chester.
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with your theory, but it is known of the Daily Mail to have spelling errors etc which could be the case here.
Regarding Phillips, I haven't seen a step-up in interest, although admittedly I haven't been looking at the news, am I missing something?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6519 on: January 31, 2016, 12:02:47 AM »
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with your theory, but it is known of the Daily Mail to have spelling errors etc which could be the case here.
Regarding Phillips, I haven't seen a step-up in interest, although admittedly I haven't been looking at the news, am I missing something?

A mate of mine is very close to the QPR board.  Something is definitely developing there this evening re Phillips and us although Bournemouth also very keen which will keep price up

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6520 on: January 31, 2016, 12:07:26 AM »
But to clarify, you advocate signing a player (Martin) to play off Rondon when Derby have played 1 up front for the last 3 seasons and their own fans say he cannot play in a 2. AND, they supposedly turned down £10 million from Swansea in the summer.

He's not fit to lace Berahino's boots.

I'm saying that he can play either alone upfront or alongside another and that I don't fully agree with those Derby quotes.  It's all about opinions.  I may well be wrong - it does happen!

Whether or not he's fit to lace Berahino's boots is irrelevant.  Nobody will be as we won't be fishing in the £25m pool for a replacement.  He and just anybody else will have a far better attitude than Berahino though.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6521 on: January 31, 2016, 03:25:55 AM »
JP will be creaming himself.  Price going up by the hour.  He'll end up getting close to £25m and be fully vindicated for his stance.

If JP does get his £25m then what good is that if it doesn't come quick enough for us to get a replacement? A deal, if it is to be done, must be completed sometime today. It would be utter madness to sell him at the last minute to relegation rivals Newcastle.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6522 on: January 31, 2016, 05:11:12 AM »
I wouldn't rush into buying a replacement , instead leaving til the summer to find a permanent replacement.

In the meantime , we could take a loan player or two (Lambert is shot and Vic is nearly always poor). Problem, can't think of anyone immediately who could step straight in so probably an overseas player or two?

The eternal optimist in me believes we have a few lined up to complete quickly in the event he definitely goes ( which I expect). The realist in me and history has shown me that we'll panic and take someone undershelming and try to grind our way through the rest of the season - again zzzzzZZZZZZZZ

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6523 on: January 31, 2016, 08:47:32 AM »

No good if we don't get an adequate replacement in !  Phillips can be useful addition but we would still a GOAL SCORER if he went !
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6524 on: January 31, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »
No good if we don't get an adequate replacement in !  Phillips can be useful addition but we would still a GOAL SCORER if he went !

We might sign a goal scorer but they wouldn't score many.for us for some obscure reason. It makes no difference either way
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.