Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556608 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #5225 on: September 09, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
I know that, which is why I posted "when negotiations will involve" for if negotiations actually began, as opposed to "when negotiations did involve"...

Not wishing to be pedantic here, but if the terms of the sale could have been agreed between WBA & THFC, it was only Saido's personal terms which would have needed negotiating. Now I accept that he could have missed out on additional items in his personal contract, such as appearance & promotional rights & pensions, but it would have been perfectly possible for him to have negotiated his personal terms.

Where agents come into their own, is in acting as a go-between for the selling and buying clubs, & paving an amicable way for the sale to happen, that facility wasn't there in this case.

It seems to me that THFC tried to take advantage of that situation: JP (God bless him) played a straight bat  ;)
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5226 on: September 09, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »
Two sides to every story ....
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/berahino-deserves-praise-criticism-actions-102601562.html
This doesn't tell both sides it just supports one, but to clarify a couple of points. I would suggest that "the vast majority of people" have not publicly criticised their boss. I know what would happen if I did.
It also talks a lot about his terrible experiences as a child, but didn't our wonderful club, fronted by Jeremy Peace, offer him the best possible way out of that situation.
To say that he didn't insult the club, the players or the fans is absolute guff. He threatened never to play again because he didn't get out, how more insulting can he be!
Still no apology either???

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5227 on: September 09, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
One thing that's confusing me that i will discuss with my mates in the boozer on Saturday.

I saw an interview after or before maybe the Waford match i think were Pulis said he doesn't want saido to go and that he thinks it would be bad for hes development so i ask what changed hes mind to then wanting him to go ?.

If i had to have a stab in the dark i would say that pulis wanted to add maybe another winger maybe antonio or phillips to the team but surely letting him go on deadline day without anyone else coming in would of been a travesty as Garlick and Peace have said.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5228 on: September 09, 2015, 05:56:18 PM »
One thing that's confusing me that i will discuss with my mates in the boozer on Saturday.

I saw an interview after or before maybe the Waford match i think were Pulis said he doesn't want saido to go and that he thinks it would be bad for hes development so i ask what changed hes mind to then wanting him to go ?.

If i had to have a stab in the dark i would say that pulis wanted to add maybe another winger maybe antonio or phillips to the team but surely letting him go on deadline day without anyone else coming in would of been a travesty as Garlick and Peace have said.

Pulis kept him out of the side to keep him injury free IMO pending a sale. I'd also like to know why Pulis came out with the garbage about signing the so called 'surprises'. If he was banking on Saido going to do this then why not just say exactly that or nothing at all. He got a lot of peoples hopes up and some may think that there was additional money in the kitty to spend without the sale of Saido.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5229 on: September 09, 2015, 06:18:03 PM »
Pulis kept him out of the side to keep him injury free IMO pending a sale. I'd also like to know why Pulis came out with the garbage about signing the so called 'surprises'. If he was banking on Saido going to do this then why not just say exactly that or nothing at all. He got a lot of peoples hopes up and some may think that there was additional money in the kitty to spend without the sale of Saido.

If he'd said we need to sell Saido to get the targets in we want then it would have led to dodgy bargaining to get Saido for Eff All.... oh, waiiiiitt..........
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5230 on: September 09, 2015, 06:22:15 PM »
I don't find fault with TP in all this; he said many times he thought the window should close at the start of the season which I wholeheartedly agree with. I'm glad too that JP had the stones to say no to Levy...

We are still seen as a pushover club and until we dig our heels in and stand up to the 'bigger' clubs we won't get anywhere.

I'm probably one of the very few who thinks we did good business in this window...
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5231 on: September 09, 2015, 06:29:28 PM »
I don't find fault with TP in all this; he said many times he thought the window should close at the start of the season which I wholeheartedly agree with. I'm glad too that JP had the stones to say no to Levy...

We are still seen as a pushover club and until we dig our heels in and stand up to the 'bigger' clubs we won't get anywhere.

I'm probably one of the very few who thinks we did good business in this window...

Time will tell but we haven't addressed many of the deficiencies within the squad. We've strengthened areas that arguably didn't need strengthening yet ignored the major problems. We seem to have bought in more squad fillers.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5232 on: September 09, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »
Time will tell but we haven't addressed many of the deficiencies within the squad. We've strengthened areas that arguably didn't need strengthening yet ignored the major problems. We seem to have bought in more squad fillers.

It's a fair comment well put  ::)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5233 on: September 09, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »

I think we did good business but there is still work to be done but its not an easy fix for us and will take a couple of windows to complete. The money we do get for Saido will help as its not easy to move players on when no-one else wants them either. I guess if you asked Pulis what other areas he wanted to work on then there would be a few but given how close we are to our ceiling then not easy. No-one wanted Saido to go but the only way we could have done more was if Saido went.

As for Saido there was a comment earlier about his personal terms needing negotiating, I would bet those details had already been discussed and Saido knew exactly what was on offer hence the transfer request.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #5234 on: September 09, 2015, 08:22:01 PM »
I see the Saido transfer money to be a similar turning point that the Hughes deal was in 2001.

We are in need for a overhaul and the money will allow us to do it.

The Stroller

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #5235 on: September 09, 2015, 08:43:56 PM »

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5236 on: September 09, 2015, 09:41:16 PM »
Biggest load of rubbish I've ever read and I've read some rubbish.
the regime don't like it man

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5237 on: September 09, 2015, 10:46:55 PM »
Not wishing to be pedantic here, but if the terms of the sale could have been agreed between WBA & THFC, it was only Saido's personal terms which would have needed negotiating. Now I accept that he could have missed out on additional items in his personal contract, such as appearance & promotional rights & pensions, but it would have been perfectly possible for him to have negotiated his personal terms.

Where agents come into their own, is in acting as a go-between for the selling and buying clubs, & paving an amicable way for the sale to happen, that facility wasn't there in this case.

It seems to me that THFC tried to take advantage of that situation: JP (God bless him) played a straight bat  ;)

No problem with JP's stance this end whatsoever and no need for you to explain the difference between terms of transfer and contract negotiations either, but thanks all the same.  :).

Regards Saido representing himself I would suggest that as I implied earlier, probably not in the lad's best interests.

'If' he is focussed then I trust him with a ball at his feet. However, the lad quite clearly can't even manage his own Tw@tter account, let alone an in depth transfer/contract negotiation at this juncture.

Saido may have a promising future career as an agent in his own right, but perhaps not just yet.
 ;).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5238 on: September 10, 2015, 08:00:50 AM »
Had Saido got an agent there would be dark mutterings on here about their malign influence. However in this instance an agent might have helped Saido manage the situation better, and certainly persuaded his client not to hand in a transfer request when there was a wholly unacceptable bid from Spurs.

The transfer request signals that the player wants to leave and is very much the last resort and should only be used when the two clubs are not that far apart but have hit an impasse. Saving the selling club 5% of the fee helps but it also undermines their negotiating position.

Equally the agent would have done the leg work and talked to the club the whole thing is a lot less personal. Saido could have got on with playing and if the deal fell through could have trotted out the line that he was flattered by Spurs interest but is happy at the Hawthorns.

Agents are often painted as the villains of the piece but having players doing things for themselves seems to be a lot worse certainly in this case.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5239 on: September 10, 2015, 09:19:02 AM »
Why we should all celebrate Saido Berahino’s transfer tomfoolery, article:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/sep/09/why-we-should-celebrate-saido-berahino-and-his-transfer-tomfoolery#comment-59121565

Shocking article!

"And yet, as someone who struggles to feel offended by almost anything a footballer does, with a few exceptions, I find myself intensely relaxed about Berahino tweeting something drama-queeny..."

So as someone who does not get offended, you find yourself sat their unoffended?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5240 on: September 10, 2015, 09:19:22 AM »
Had Saido got an agent there would be dark mutterings on here about their malign influence. However in this instance an agent might have helped Saido manage the situation better, and certainly persuaded his client not to hand in a transfer request when there was a wholly unacceptable bid from Spurs.

The transfer request signals that the player wants to leave and is very much the last resort and should only be used when the two clubs are not that far apart but have hit an impasse. Saving the selling club 5% of the fee helps but it also undermines their negotiating position.

Equally the agent would have done the leg work and talked to the club the whole thing is a lot less personal. Saido could have got on with playing and if the deal fell through could have trotted out the line that he was flattered by Spurs interest but is happy at the Hawthorns.

Agents are often painted as the villains of the piece but having players doing things for themselves seems to be a lot worse certainly in this case.

Saidi does have an agent - Jonathan Barnett's outfit who also acted for Bale and Modric when they left Spurs.  That agency has a good relationship with Spurs.  He is also liable to pay Aidy Ward, his former agent, a cut of anything which would have come up before
November when the notice period expires under that contract.   I suspect that will include a cut of Saido's imminent new contract.

It is a misconception that Saido didn't have an active agent while all this was going on. He was being advised all the way.

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5241 on: September 10, 2015, 10:08:35 AM »
Saidi does have an agent - Jonathan Barnett's outfit who also acted for Bale and Modric when they left Spurs.  That agency has a good relationship with Spurs.  He is also liable to pay Aidy Ward, his former agent, a cut of anything which would have come up before
November when the notice period expires under that contract.   I suspect that will include a cut of Saido's imminent new contract.

It is a misconception that Saido didn't have an active agent while all this was going on. He was being advised all the way.
Well that worked out well -  Saido could not have done without their advise?!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5242 on: September 10, 2015, 10:19:57 AM »
Gets even better!

As Spurs tried to sign Saido Berahino, the striker’s driver left him stranded to sign for Coventry

By Benjamin Newman
September 10, 2015
Comments
As Spurs tried to sign Saido Berahino, the strikers driver left him stranded to sign for Coventry
The Coventry Telegraph have revealed a brilliant story regarding Saido Berahino’s failed move from West Brom to Tottenham on transfer deadline day.

Amid all the commotion of Tottenham’s repeated bidding for the 22-year-old Baggie, plus Berahino’s crazy tweet claiming he’d never play for Jeremy Peace ever again, the footballer had pressing mobility problems on deadline day.

Berahino is currently banned from driving after he admitted to drink-driving earlier in the year. According, the forward has a driver, Lateef Elford-Alliyu.

In a twist, as Spurs were trying to sign Berahino, Elford-Alliyu was signing for Coventry City.

The Coventry Telegraph claim that Elford-Alliyu dropped Berahino off at training in the morning, before he was given “permission” to drive on to Coventry in the player’s Range Rover Sport to sign on with the Sky Blues.

As the day unfolded, Elford-Alliyu received a frantic call from his former Baggies team-mate when it looked like Berahino could move to Tottenham. The article closed out by saying:

It left Elford-Alliyu in the tricky position of trying to conclude his own deal while believing he could jeopardise his employer’s £25m dream move.

In the end, however, Berahino rang to say that no permission had been forthcoming and Alliyu was free to seal his own deal.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/transfers/as-spurs-tried-to-sign-saido-berahino-the-strikers-driver-left-him-stranded-to-sign-for-coventry/?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5243 on: September 10, 2015, 10:22:11 AM »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5244 on: September 10, 2015, 10:25:11 AM »

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5246 on: September 10, 2015, 10:40:10 AM »
Probably saved him from a sky interview in the Spurs car park
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5247 on: September 10, 2015, 10:51:24 AM »
Still no apology from the scrote either. Shouldn't be near the 1st team without one.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5248 on: September 10, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
Probably saved him from a sky interview in the Spurs car park
Still no apology from the scrote either. Shouldn't be near the 1st team without one.

Both true I think.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5249 on: September 10, 2015, 04:09:44 PM »
All that money and can't afford a taxi or train to London!