Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556590 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #4825 on: September 02, 2015, 04:46:05 PM »
Answered your own question.

Not really Scooby,

Levy has known for months what the situation was and had the option...... he always knew that it was going to be a deal with the majority of cash up front.
MAGA!

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4826 on: September 02, 2015, 04:53:10 PM »
We said it'll take £25m to land him and they didn't offer it. Even if they did offer £25m cash as a last minute offer, the answers no every time. We said weeks ago £25m, we said after two failed bids last week we don't have time to get adequate replacements in and it was a no. If they'd opened with that offer or the second offer he'd be in a Spurs kit now.

It's not like we've made them guess how much to offer, we told them straight up and when they stalled and waited weeks we said no. We can't be held to blame here.

Given we didn't want to sell whoever suggested making an offer that was in some way hinged on him performing well and making X amounts of appearances is again stupid. Who would sell their prized asset for a fifth of the value and be ok with potential revenue coming in if it goes ok? I wouldn't walk into Dolce & Gobana, give them twenty quid for a suit and the rest of the money if it got me a job/laid five years down the line.

wobbs68

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4827 on: September 02, 2015, 04:54:50 PM »
There are possibly 3 people to blame.  Levy as he knew what Peace wanted but never offered it (or if he did it was too late).  Berahino for trying to put pressure on the club at the last minute even though Peace had talked to him last week to explain the situation.  Possibly whoever Berahino's new agent is for potentially misguiding him

Peace has done the absolute right thing for the club, who come first.  Berahino is supposed to be a professional who earns much more money than any of us will ever see.  He should behave like one.  He will still make his fortune.  No thought or respect for our club or fans whatsoever.  I may have felt a bit sorry for him if we blocked a move to a proper big club challenging for trophies etc who had offered the value up front in time so that we could replace him but no, this is Tottenham who ruin footballers careers and Saido was just going for the big cash and bright lights, not to further his footballing career.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4828 on: September 02, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »
We said it'll take £25m to land him and they didn't offer it. Even if they did offer £25m cash as a last minute offer, the answers no every time. We said weeks ago £25m, we said after two failed bids last week we don't have time to get adequate replacements in and it was a no. If they'd opened with that offer or the second offer he'd be in a Spurs kit now.

It's not like we've made them guess how much to offer, we told them straight up and when they stalled and waited weeks we said no. We can't be held to blame here.

Given we didn't want to sell whoever suggested making an offer that was in some way hinged on him performing well and making X amounts of appearances is again stupid. Who would sell their prized asset for a fifth of the value and be ok with potential revenue coming in if it goes ok? I wouldn't walk into Dolce & Gobana, give them twenty quid for a suit and the rest of the money if it got me a job/laid five years down the line.

Exactly! Well said.....
MAGA!

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #4829 on: September 02, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »
It was reported on Talksport this lunchtime that the spurs offer was  worth up to £23m including the add ons. The initial down payment was £6m with other instalments payable over several years ( presumably over the length of the contract they were to give Saido). No one knows how much of the total fee was guaranteed & how much was add ons that potentially might never be paid. My own guess would be something like £18m guaranteed.
The Daily Mail talk of £25m in cash refers to the fact that there was no player exchange in their offer & that the whole amount finally due would all be paid in cash but over 5 years.
For me Peace has done nothing wrong (I hope Pulis agrees!) & Levy is the one to blame for attempting to get our man on the cheap.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4830 on: September 02, 2015, 04:56:17 PM »
Talksport now saying it wasn,t a £25million cash offer, just £6million base figure

http://talksport.com/football/saido-berahino-latest-tottenham-deal-collapsed-when-they-offered-just-ps6m-front-talksport?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4831 on: September 02, 2015, 05:02:30 PM »
I'm actually coming round to thinking that we should have taken the money, even putting aside the Berahino outburst, we may not have been able to spend it yesterday, but a cash deal would have given us money in the bank ready for January, and £14k per week off the wage bill.
If there was a bid of £25million cash up front, on reflection, IMO we should have taken it.

Which bid would you have accepted the the one with less than 1 hour of the window open or the other cheaper ones with about 2 hours left. I mean we can do 3 deals in that time can't we. ::)

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4832 on: September 02, 2015, 05:31:32 PM »
How many clubs do people think are sat on cash reserves of £25m?

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4833 on: September 02, 2015, 05:41:24 PM »
How many clubs do people think are sat on cash reserves of £25m?
I'd say top 4 maybe top 6 looking at this years business!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4834 on: September 02, 2015, 05:46:09 PM »
I'd say top 4 maybe top 6 looking at this years business!

And you think all clubs are paid up in full?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4835 on: September 02, 2015, 05:52:20 PM »
It is very simple we did not want nor need to sell Saido. So to make us change our mind Spurs needed to make a too good to turn down offer.

In a world where even half decent Championship strikers are changing hands for £10m and United have just spent £36m on a 19 year old Ligue 1 striker with an 8 goals in 30 games record with more to come if he is successful, what price a proven Premier League goal scorer? Hands up  if you think the answer is £5m with additional payments subject to various add-on clauses spread over 5 years to a total of £25m. No I thought not. If he was a success by the time Spurs had finished paying for him the chances are he would have been playing at a big club like Arsenal

If the deal had been structured as £20m guaranteed with say £5m subject to appearances maybe Spurs and Saido would have grounds for complaint but it wasn't. I concede it is messy and Peace is getting brickbats from the fans that generally give him brickbats but it would have been a hell of a lot worse had he accepted a terrible offer from Spurs. 

Just for the sake of clarity all transfers are paid in installments over varying lengths of time and only a fraction of the fee is paid up front as cash. The issue is what proportion of the fee guaranteed compared to the total fee and what was subject to add on clauses and how long those clauses took to fulfill. Still looking to see if Saido is getting picked for Spurs in four years time before we can finalise our budget is a nonsense.   

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:57:17 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4836 on: September 02, 2015, 06:00:01 PM »
After the initial dust has settled and I have listened to the speculation over what happened, I can safely say the spuds money man is definitely a selling guru but a p**s poor buyer!
Well done JP for telling them to do one with the pittance they wanted to put down ( should that actually be the case)
SB where do I start with you, seems to have had a good attitude over the majority of the window, has been put in a situation by Spurs, no doubt about it at all! Then has a spoilt kid meltdown at the last minute when he knows he is staying!
I was 21 once and most likely would feel the same as SB if this had happened to me over the summer, someone says they want you make all the right noises most likely spoke to player via agent or whatever, then don't follow through on their word! Upsetting/unsettling are the words that come to mind to me, I do feel sorry for the lad promised everything gained nothing, what he needs to do now is get his head clear, get back in training and score and create goals! This will earn him a big money move and most likely with a better club than the spuds, he needs to learn from this mess and build on it as a man.
As for the spuds, thought you could come and mess with the little old Albion in the Midlands??? Hahahahaha should of done your home work on our jezza and how we run our club mate, made yourself look a bit stupid with your failed bids!
I hope he gets his head sorted and scores a Hat full against your team!

dubliner

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #4837 on: September 02, 2015, 06:03:26 PM »
David Hytner nails it in this longish piece in the Guardian. Levy is the villain here, nobody else -

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/sep/02/tottenham-daniel-levy-transfer-chase-saido-berahino-west-brom?CMP=share_btn_tw   

Big Al

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4838 on: September 02, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »
I think that once JP had said he would not be sold in this window and spoke to Saido to tell him that there was no going back whatever the deadline day offer.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4839 on: September 02, 2015, 06:23:11 PM »
I think that once JP had said he would not be sold in this window and spoke to Saido to tell him that there was no going back whatever the deadline day offer.

That makes sense if only we weren't still being told that the club were still actively seeking 3 or 4 more players on deadline day. The way the club made public their statements on this, it appeared to everyone that we were in for our targets regardless of the Saido deal. This was obviously not the case was it! Albion then try to cover up and gloss over this blatant act of bulls**t by trying to blame Spurs for everything. Very convenient. Some people can't see the wood for the trees.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4840 on: September 02, 2015, 06:30:54 PM »
That makes sense if only we weren't still being told that the club were still actively seeking 3 or 4 more players on deadline day. The way the club made public their statements on this, it appeared to everyone that we were in for our targets regardless of the Saido deal. This was obviously not the case was it! Albion then try to cover up and gloss over this blatant act of bulls**t by trying to blame Spurs for everything. Very convenient. Some people can't see the wood for the trees.

If we advertise the  fact our dealings hinge on Berahino being sold it makes Spurs think we're desperate to sell and pushes up the prices of said targets. I think you're lost in the woods fella.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4841 on: September 02, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »

Which bid would you have accepted the the one with less than 1 hour of the window open or the other cheaper ones with about 2 hours left. I mean we can do 3 deals in that time can't we. ::)

My post was in response to yours, on the news in the Daily Mail that a bid of £25million cash was on the table at the death, & yes if that had been the case, I would have taken it, & so I suspect, would JP. Even if we couldn't have spent it yesterday, it would have given us a terrific advantage in the January window.
In the event, it turns out that wasn't the case, so it's just hyperthetical.

BewdleyBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #4842 on: September 02, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »
There are possibly 3 people to blame.  Levy as he knew what Peace wanted but never offered it (or if he did it was too late).  Berahino for trying to put pressure on the club at the last minute even though Peace had talked to him last week to explain the situation.  Possibly whoever Berahino's new agent is for potentially misguiding him

Peace has done the absolute right thing for the club, who come first.  Berahino is supposed to be a professional who earns much more money than any of us will ever see.  He should behave like one.  He will still make his fortune.  No thought or respect for our club or fans whatsoever.  I may have felt a bit sorry for him if we blocked a move to a proper big club challenging for trophies etc who had offered the value up front in time so that we could replace him but no, this is Tottenham who ruin footballers careers and Saido was just going for the big cash and bright lights, not to further his footballing career.
He's a headstrong young man, so in my opinion there's always the chance he could have ignored any common sense advice from anyone, including his own advisors.

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4843 on: September 02, 2015, 06:42:12 PM »
How any so called Albion fan can be blaming the club for this I don't know . It didn't go through because Spurs didn't offer the amount that the club wanted . Wether this was in instalments of upfront we will never no . 6m up front then the other 17 to 19 in instalments isn't enough . I'm totally with my club on this one . Has for sb , he can clean boots for the rest of the season for all I care . The club have brought him through the ranks and have made him what he is now .

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4844 on: September 02, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »
If we advertise the  fact our dealings hinge on Berahino being sold it makes Spurs think we're desperate to sell and pushes up the prices of said targets. I think you're lost in the woods fella.

I'm not lost anywhere. I'm quite happy with my opinions,views and choices and glad I'm not wasting another penny on the Albion.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4845 on: September 02, 2015, 06:47:15 PM »
Nose, spite, face comes to mind.

Sort it out tone, get him playing, get him scoring, get US scoring.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4846 on: September 02, 2015, 06:51:45 PM »

Contradicting yourself there aren't you. How would it make Spurs think we are desperate to sell when you have stated clearly that the club did the right thing by making it clear Saido wasn't for sale at any price?? You are getting confused with what you've previously posted just in attempt to have another pop at me. It's not me that's lost in the woods!  8)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4848 on: September 02, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »
If the rumours of Spurs up front money being only £5m - £6m then it's a no brainer...total insult to us and Berahino. Surely it should be easy to make even Saido see this.

We know that if Man U came in for Harry Kane they'd want a minimum £30m up front plus add-ons. No way is he worth that much more than Saido.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4849 on: September 02, 2015, 07:12:10 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3219819/Saido-Berahino-forgiven-starts-scoring-Jeremy-Peace-blame-letting-fiasco-happen.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Is this guy an Albion fan at all?

Errr NO, It's the Daily Mail justifying their own position, both the Mail & Mirror are trying to justify Spurs stance. Wasn't it the Mail who claimed Spurs had bid £25million cash at the death. Other corespondents say it was still a structured bid.
I suspect the article in the Guardian is probably closer to the truth.