Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556520 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #4750 on: September 02, 2015, 11:40:43 AM »
just realised we are above the mighty spuds in the league
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4751 on: September 02, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »
Spurs were still willing to pay £23m, the installments were spread out over 5 years.   The money was still getting paid unless you're saying the deal was £5m and the entire rest of it was based on his behaviour or how he plays?  You don't get a new iphone on contract and say your phone is only worth £39 because that's what you had to put down on it.

A phone and a footballer can't be compared the way you're saying. He's our asset, and we'd sell him to use the sale money elsewhere. Would you sell me your phone for a tenner, leave yourself without a phone but be happy to get the rest of the money for it in half a decade? No you'd want the money to spend elsewhere on a replacement, and ten quid won't get you a phone.

Spurs £23m bid had conditions based around Saido's appearances and where they finished in the league. So to use your phone based analogy, would you sell me your phone for a tenner, and I'll pay you the rest of it, over five years, if I run out of texts and call time every month?

For all intents and purposes, if we sold him for £5m up front, he didn't make enough appearances, got injured and his career ended, and spurs didn't make it to Europe, we'd have lost OUR player for £5m. That's appalling business. You cannot claim Berahino is still worth £23m unless ALL of Spurs criteria are met. And NONE of them are in our control.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4752 on: September 02, 2015, 12:06:21 PM »
Do Palmyra have a team we could loan him out to?

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4753 on: September 02, 2015, 12:08:09 PM »
We'll still get well over 20M for Berahino IF he is sold in January. Even if we run his contract down we're in for about 10M from a tribunal, possibly more so we  are going to get at least double that in January. He'll be playing again in the next couple of weeks.

collins101

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4754 on: September 02, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
What if he's sold two years in, do we lose out on all the clauses which haven't been met ?

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4755 on: September 02, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »
Let's hope everyone involved keeps their traps shut till Friday at least.  I hope the following will then happen:

He then has to make some sort of public apology, however muted, even just a retraction, say he didn't know the details of Spurs bids or something, there was a misunderstanding.  A fine is really irrelevant.

Then we can offer him a new contract on higher wages with a publicly stated buy out clause like Benteke had.

He can then shut up and play football till January or next summer and demonstrate that he is actually as good as he thinks he is, then Spurs (or maybe Arsenal, or Man U) will buy him then.

And for anyone who is accusing him of being childish - well he is still really a child isn't he, and he may look back with shame one day on a lot of things as most of us old folk do.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4756 on: September 02, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
I agree, he's been pathetic and childish, and that the bids were laughable, and that turning them down is the correct thing to do - Spurs have behaved appallingly.  I just don't see how being equally as childish with Berahino is going to do West Bromwich Albion any good.

Sticking him in the reserves or sacking him will do nothing but lower his value to the club.  Playing him, and getting him scoring goals will increase his value and help us survive.  If you put a logical hat on it's obvious what the best option for Albion is, no matter how distasteful it is.
You are forgetting that he is the one who's stated he will not play and if he sticks to that, what do you suggest we do?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4757 on: September 02, 2015, 12:26:29 PM »
A phone and a footballer can't be compared the way you're saying. He's our asset, and we'd sell him to use the sale money elsewhere. Would you sell me your phone for a tenner, leave yourself without a phone but be happy to get the rest of the money for it in half a decade? No you'd want the money to spend elsewhere on a replacement, and ten quid won't get you a phone.

Spurs £23m bid had conditions based around Saido's appearances and where they finished in the league. So to use your phone based analogy, would you sell me your phone for a tenner, and I'll pay you the rest of it, over five years, if I run out of texts and call time every month?

For all intents and purposes, if we sold him for £5m up front, he didn't make enough appearances, got injured and his career ended, and spurs didn't make it to Europe, we'd have lost OUR player for £5m. That's appalling business. You cannot claim Berahino is still worth £23m unless ALL of Spurs criteria are met. And NONE of them are in our control.
I think you're getting mixed up a bit there.  I agree that we shouldn't have sold him but you can't say Berahino is only 'worth' £5m to Spurs because that was the up front cost is.  I don't know, and neither does anyone else, what the exact break down of the addons were.  It was mentioned that the bulk of the money was to be paid in installments over 5 years so it's somewhere between £5m and £23m.  If Berahino's career had ended next year then we would still be due any installments.  If you buy a car on finance and write it off you still have to pay the finance installments. 

Using the fact that Spurs only bid £5m up front cash seems a very weird stick to beat Berahino with, there's plenty of others.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4758 on: September 02, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »
You are forgetting that he is the one who's stated he will not play and if he sticks to that, what do you suggest we do?

Different times, but didn't Bryan Robson once pull a similar stunt (going on strike) to "engineer" his move to Man U?
By and large we forgave him!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4759 on: September 02, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »
There's nothing we can do in that case, you can't drag him onto the pitch. 

I'm simply pointing out that both our and Berahino's aims are inline for the next few months.  I'm disagreeing with the notion, that regardless of what Berahino says\does, that we should punish him by sticking in the reserves as it is not the best move for the club.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4760 on: September 02, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »

I'm simply pointing out that both our and Berahino's aims are inline for the next few months.  I'm disagreeing with the notion, that regardless of what Berahino says\does, that we should punish him by sticking in the reserves as it is not the best move for the club.

I agree but neither is ostracising Poc / gamboa / sess best for the club, but its happened.
Don't be surprised if Mr Obstinant leaves him out to pasture.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4761 on: September 02, 2015, 12:33:41 PM »
Different times, but didn't Bryan Robson once pull a similar stunt (going on strike) to "engineer" his move to Man U?
By and large we forgave him!
Schneiderlin did the same last year to Southampton.  Wanted a move to Spurs (nice track record they have), and he tweeted about having 6 years destroyed.  He knuckled down and has now got a move to Man Utd for £27m.

Interesting comment from him...

“So I started training, I took pleasure in touch the ball, I really needed to play football, and I was made to play against Liverpool. At Anfield, all fans of Southampton applauded me and my name was chanted. It has warmed my heart. I knew then that I would spend the season at Southampton.”

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4762 on: September 02, 2015, 12:34:15 PM »
I agree but neither is ostracising Poc / gamboa / sess best for the club, but its happened.
Don't be surprised if Mr Obstinant leaves him out to pasture.
I totally agree.  I wouldn't be surprised at all. 

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4763 on: September 02, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
Do Palmyra have a team we could loan him out to?

They have had a terrible transfer window!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4764 on: September 02, 2015, 12:53:15 PM »
i am hearing hes been given time off ffs until monday >:(
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4765 on: September 02, 2015, 12:54:58 PM »
i am hearing hes been given time off ffs until monday >:(

Seems so.

matt maher @mjmarr_star
Understand Berahino has been given extra time off by Tony Pulis. Now not due to report back until Monday. #wba

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4766 on: September 02, 2015, 01:02:24 PM »
Let's hope everyone involved keeps their traps shut till Friday at least.  I hope the following will then happen:

He then has to make some sort of public apology, however muted, even just a retraction, say he didn't know the details of Spurs bids or something, there was a misunderstanding.  A fine is really irrelevant.

Then we can offer him a new contract on higher wages with a publicly stated buy out clause like Benteke had.

He can then shut up and play football till January or next summer and demonstrate that he is actually as good as he thinks he is, then Spurs (or maybe Arsenal, or Man U) will buy him then.
And for anyone who is accusing him of being childish - well he is still really a child isn't he, and he may look back with shame one day on a lot of things as most of us old folk do.

If he hadn't done the tweet yesterday, I would agree with your proposal. Now, however, it's difficult to see how a new contract with an increase in pay wouldn't be seen as a reward for bad behaviour.
IMO he needs to withdraw his threat not to play, & the FC needs to give him time to re-integrate, with a review of the situation in January.

The London press are now saying Spurs 4th bid was a £25million cash bid, if true, it could be the refusal of that which "tipped" Berahino over the edge.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4767 on: September 02, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »
What if he's sold two years in, do we lose out on all the clauses which haven't been met ?

pretty much, just like the deal we bought Ideye in on, his former club will lose out on some

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4768 on: September 02, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
Spurs were still willing to pay £23m, the installments were spread out over 5 years.   The money was still getting paid unless you're saying the deal was £5m and the entire rest of it was based on his behaviour or how he plays?  You don't get a new iphone on contract and say your phone is only worth £39 because that's what you had to put down on it.

Well put. I agree with this entirely. So what if we only had £5 million up front. As you say, we would still had his full value eventually. If it left us short on the readies to pay up front for a replacement, there would have been nothing stopping the Albion offering similar payment methods to QPR for example would there, i.e. £3 million up front for Phillips with another £5 million to follow. That would be far too sensible of a way to deal with it for the Albion though wouldn't it. Made us look a bunch of clowns yet again.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4769 on: September 02, 2015, 01:12:15 PM »
The London press are now saying Spurs 4th bid was a £25million cash bid, if true, it could be the refusal of that which "tipped" Berahino over the edge.
All well & good but there just wouldn't have been time for us to get 3 or 4 other players in though!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #4770 on: September 02, 2015, 01:16:06 PM »
I don't understand why Peace is getting the stick here, regardless of all the talk that no discussions have been had over the Summer it now seems they have been talking for around 4 months, surely during that time Peace had told Levy how the deal would have to be done (ie: upfront payment). If Spurs were unable or unwilling to do so then they should have said. Levy tried to pull a fast one and failed, all the venom should be added in that direction and the direction of whoever was filling Saido's head with his future wage and especially whoever got him to issue that tweet which any sensible person would have known was never going to work.

I'm not a massive fan of Peace but blame is not there for me. Yes he may have told Saido he would be allowed to go but not in a deal that sees us get only £5m upfront, not a chance especially as we were hoping to use that money for other deals which were supposedly in place.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4771 on: September 02, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »
All well & good but there just wouldn't have been time for us to get 3 or 4 other players in though!
It wouldn't surprise me if they came in with that at the end but as you say, it didn't leave us any time to get a replacement.  But then there's some fans who think we shouldn't be playing him anyway so therefore Peace must have been wrong to not sell.

I think Peace has played this perfectly well, he's shown he won't be bullied (we knew that anyway though lol).  The blame for all this lies with Spurs trying to get Berahino on the cheap.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4772 on: September 02, 2015, 01:21:15 PM »

Agree that if he offers a heartfelt apology (he's done that before though, addressed to JP personally, as it was he who was attacked, and to the fans for bringing the club into disrepute, then he should be allowed to try to regain his place. My honest opinion though would be that any apology will be out borne out of self pity and not genuine regret.
So, I still hope Rondon and Lambert perform well enough to keep him out.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4773 on: September 02, 2015, 01:22:35 PM »
Looking at Spurs related twitter and forums Levys getting a lot of flak about paying the going rate for players , seems Saido isn't the only player they left high and dry.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:27:14 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4774 on: September 02, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »

I agree with you and think this is the way forward.
Baggie in Southampton