Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556608 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #3725 on: August 23, 2015, 09:29:30 PM »
If Saido is sold to Spurs this week JP will look really foolish after his statement.

The only way to explain himself would be to show he was sold for BIG money. I know we "undisclose" stuff, but this one needs to be stated.

It doesn't.

It will give other clubs an indication of what money we have available and clubs will want some of that cake. Whatever the fee is for Berahino should be kept behind closed doors otherwise we lose our bargaining position in my opinion.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3726 on: August 23, 2015, 09:49:02 PM »
The people that are suggesting we have to spend the money its already been spent, they will use the same old excuse that we ran out of time to make it look like we tried.

That is exactly what i think aswel. Hope im wrong though
West Bromwich Born, Greets Green Bred

MICKYMEL

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3727 on: August 23, 2015, 10:08:40 PM »
I don't want Saido to go but looks more and more likely. Great finisher and penalty taker , needed that today ! Would be an excellent partnership him and rondon BUT it's clear he's close to going.
Doom and gloom merchants need to get a grip though. All this we can't replace his 20 goals a season. What??
He has had 1 season doing that, not 3 or 4 seasons. Plus half last seasons total was penalties and a 4 goal haul against Gateshead.

Good player, one of our own and all that but for the greater good we will be ok
Whenever we are playing badly, just remember -
Paul Chrichton,Neil Parsley, Andy Mcdermott, Scott Darton, Winston White,Mark Angel, Fabian DeFreitas, Paul Williams......now, do you feel better?

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3728 on: August 23, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »
Double his wages, a move to London, more chance of winning a cup, potential European football and more chance of an England call up. A very bad move for him indeed.

Bang on mate, shame a few didn't appreciate him while he was here. Wish him the best and he will be getting a standing ovation for me next time he is at the Albion, praying it will be in a blue and white shirt but it looks inevitable now he will be gone

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3729 on: August 23, 2015, 11:02:59 PM »
I don't think Saido would be a great partner for Rondon or Lambert, he is not a number 10. He can play as an out and out striker or a wide attacker in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 and as such could work with Rondon or Lambert but playing up with another striker is not his game.

If we can get the right players in from the money he brings in then I wouldn't be too distressed about him leaving but I hope this does not happen at the death.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3730 on: August 23, 2015, 11:04:27 PM »
Shame, but seen enough today to suggest that if the money is re-invested in replacement for Olsson, and with another winger/striker, we'll be ok.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3731 on: August 23, 2015, 11:26:01 PM »
Shame, but seen enough today to suggest that if the money is re-invested in replacement for Olsson, and with another winger/striker, we'll be ok.
I agree shame but that is today's football.One positive is we have Lambert and Rondon and hopefully another attacking player brought in so we are not relying so much on one player.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3732 on: August 24, 2015, 05:58:05 AM »
To be honest i can't say i blame Saido. When he first came into our first team he was on £8k pw. When he became the hottest young property in the EPL, Peace upped his wages to £20k pw.
Peace said it was in the lad's best interest as giving young player's too much too soon could send them off the rails.
Absolute b*******. As usual Peace is trying to get something for nothing again, but people on here will still say good old Jezza, he is looking out for the lad.
I wonder if Spurs pay Harry Kane £20k pw in case any more might go to his head?  :D

Saido has probably seen us sign Lambert and Rondon and pay them double or treble what he is earning.
Not saying we would keep him if we paid top dollar, all players want to play at the highest level like the CL, but bloody hell, £20k pw is an insult for someone of his talent.
Maybe he would have had a big rise if he had signed a new deal, but once again Peace has shut the stable door after the hoss as bolted.

By the way, if Saido goes Peaces outlay this window will be around zero.

If he signs Austin and Phillips with the money fair enough, but i'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:36:47 AM by kris_boing »

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3733 on: August 24, 2015, 06:28:58 AM »
Better to let him go, grab the cash, get Phillips.
The way we played yesterday the only available position for Berahino is out wide and that would deflect from the real strengths in his game.
If we can use the cash to strengthen the midfield and defence then let him go with our blessings.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3734 on: August 24, 2015, 07:15:02 AM »
I agree with the last couple of posts, Saido is a good player and could be very good in time however we need a number 10, creative midfielder to drop off the forward and make things happen. Dembele would be a good one? With the Saido money we might be able to recruit a couple more players to add balance to this still unbalanced squad.

It was about six months ago when Saido went off the boil after claiming he wanted to leave got bigger and better things , I'm not sure we'll miss him as much as some think ?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3735 on: August 24, 2015, 08:02:07 AM »
really getting on my breasts now this, its time to go, heads gone my ass
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3736 on: August 24, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »
I don't want Saido to go but looks more and more likely. Great finisher and penalty taker , needed that today ! Would be an excellent partnership him and rondon BUT it's clear he's close to going.
Doom and gloom merchants need to get a grip though. All this we can't replace his 20 goals a season. What??
He has had 1 season doing that, not 3 or 4 seasons. Plus half last seasons total was penalties and a 4 goal haul against Gateshead.

Good player, one of our own and all that but for the greater good we will be ok

They still need to be put in the back of the net though.

They all count whether they are penalties, 40 yard volleys, or 2 yard tap ins.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3737 on: August 24, 2015, 09:33:06 AM »
To be honest i can't say i blame Saido. When he first came into our first team he was on £8k pw. When he became the hottest young property in the EPL, Peace upped his wages to £20k pw.
Peace said it was in the lad's best interest as giving young player's too much too soon could send them off the rails.
Absolute b*******. As usual Peace is trying to get something for nothing again, but people on here will still say good old Jezza, he is looking out for the lad.
I wonder if Spurs pay Harry Kane £20k pw in case any more might go to his head?  :D

Saido has probably seen us sign Lambert and Rondon and pay them double or treble what he is earning.
Not saying we would keep him if we paid top dollar, all players want to play at the highest level like the CL, but bloody hell, £20k pw is an insult for someone of his talent.
Maybe he would have had a big rise if he had signed a new deal, but once again Peace has shut the stable door after the hoss as bolted.

By the way, if Saido goes Peaces outlay this window will be around zero.

If he signs Austin and Phillips with the money fair enough, but i'm not holding my breath.

In a manner I agree, but saying he deserves 20k pw is precisely what's wrong with the world. Footballers are vastly overpaid and when people say they deserve it, it further panders to their massive egos. Personally I think the MLS has it right - players are paid around 30-40k per year plus bonuses related to performance, and one star player is paid the most (several million per year). Players would soon start working harder to play and score.

Don't mean to sound pedantic but Saido was on £800pw to begin with and that increased to 14k pw before his latest payrise. I imagine Spurs took into account how mature Kane is, as other clubs do when dealing with players. There must be a streak in Saido (as we've perhaps seen) that seems a little immature.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3738 on: August 24, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »
Several posters are missing the point here.

Yes, footballers are massively overpaid, but only because of mugs like us who shell out to pay for Sky and BT packages.

If someone is "only" paying £20k but knows that they could earn £60k a week somewhere else then why wouldn't they want it?  Each and every one of us would surely do the same!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3739 on: August 24, 2015, 10:40:47 AM »
Doesn't really matter if we agree or not, the going rate for a decent forward in the EPL  is around £40-60k per week. If we don't pay the going rate we risk losing the player. If he does leave, we're certainly going to have to pay £40-60 k per week to replace him.

What is an insult, IMO, is the report on "Newsnow" this morning that Spurs think they can get him for £40k per week, I don't think they will, it leaves the door open for ManU or possibly Arsenal, & there he'd be a better fit IMO.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3740 on: August 24, 2015, 10:45:46 AM »
21 year old who has talent and wants to go to London to play for a half decent team and the chance to get into Europe and possibly win a cup, No shock here.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3741 on: August 24, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »
Well we're trying to get him to sign a new contract, so surely we're offering a decent wage to try and tie him down?

Either way, he'll end up on more than he is on now,it's just a case of who is his employer. Will be interesting to see if he gets a run out tomorrow. Maybe TP will think there'll be less pressure? Though if he's cup tied that could be the loss of a bargaining chip in inflating his price.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Xpresso

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3742 on: August 24, 2015, 01:03:49 PM »
Starting to hear talk of a move to Man Utd for Saido, with Evans part of a swap deal.

Now that wouldn't surprise me at all. Always thought that was where he wanted to go.

http://www.retrounited.com/united-in-talks-with-berahino-defender-to-move-other-way/?

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3743 on: August 24, 2015, 01:44:43 PM »
Starting to hear talk of a move to Man Utd for Saido, with Evans part of a swap deal.

Now that wouldn't surprise me at all. Always thought that was where he wanted to go.

http://www.retrounited.com/united-in-talks-with-berahino-defender-to-move-other-way/?

i'd be very worried if we swapped our top goalscorer for another CB  :(

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3744 on: August 24, 2015, 01:50:23 PM »
really getting on my breasts now this, its time to go, heads gone my ass

He didn't say that at all. It was Pulis who told him his head wasn't in the right place. Pulis even said Berahino was happy to play.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3745 on: August 24, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »
Say we sell Saido for £35m, we would not have made any financial gain if you factor in our signings this transfer window. If we are selling him and I hope we don't, it should be for 35-40 million. It's a real chance to invest in the future. Little old Albion are being played here by the bigger clubs with bigger pockets.

popbaggie28

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3746 on: August 24, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »
i'd be very worried if we swapped our top goalscorer for another CB  :(

Obviously we'd get some money on top about 20mil I'd say that would be a good deal, then we go sign Austin for 13m

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3747 on: August 24, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »
I would prefer to see him go to Man ure or Arsenal TBH,and after yesterday I would not be advese to seeing a CB as part of the deal, but I would like to see the money invested down at QPR for Austin and Phillips........
MAGA!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3748 on: August 24, 2015, 02:39:07 PM »
I would prefer to see him go to Man ure or Arsenal TBH,and after yesterday I would not be advese to seeing a CB as part of the deal, but I would like to see the money invested down at QPR for Austin and Phillips........

I'd love to see him go anywhere but Spurs.  They deserve to lose out.

Evans, Phillips, Austin, Marshall and a CM in will be ideal.  Depends on us shifting several though.

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3749 on: August 24, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »
John Percy @John__Percy
West Brom striker Saido Berahino to hand in transfer request in a bid to force Spurs move #wba #coys via @Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/11820083/Saido-Berahino-will-hand-in-transfer-request-to-secure-Tottenham-move.html

If he does, can't wait to see the back of him. Pay us the £25m and you can have him.