Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556491 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #2650 on: April 30, 2015, 09:44:04 PM »
right im going to be very controversial
would he get as much stick if he was white ??

I think its a fair question..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2651 on: April 30, 2015, 09:48:33 PM »

yes he would from me. Couldn't give a sh*t about the colour of his skin it's his attitude that narks me.

Just re-read my response and want to add:

Plenty of our white players get stick, don't think the stick he gets has anything to do with colour.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:46:07 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2652 on: April 30, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »

What's his skin colour got to do with anything?

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2653 on: April 30, 2015, 10:16:47 PM »
What's his skin colour got to do with anything?

Agree, pathetic. Race should never be an equation. Most of us have grown up 'clubbing, in Brum - to the most diverse and respected scene anywhere in the UK. We should be very proud and embrace our diversity on all levels. I can tell you that we are the envy of many major cities and cultures.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2654 on: April 30, 2015, 10:40:57 PM »

Really suprised you asked that Zippy.

I honestly think race just isn't an issue for 90% of people now. Easy for me to say as a white male maybe and maybe i'm just being very naive. But i think Saido is being judged on his actions, same as if he was called Sam and was ginger.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2656 on: May 01, 2015, 09:49:55 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-bromwich-albion/11578182/How-Saido-Berahino-went-from-from-Burundi-to-West-Brom-and-why-hes-no-bad-boy.html

Great article IMO

I agree, cracking article. With the forming of his foundation and the sense he talks in this article it looks like he's turned a corner, long may it continue.  ;D

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2657 on: May 01, 2015, 09:52:27 PM »
I agree, cracking article. With the forming of his foundation and the sense he talks in this article it looks like he's turned a corner, long may it continue.  ;D
He likes to score against Man Utd too here's hoping wink wink

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2658 on: May 01, 2015, 10:22:33 PM »
Really suprised you asked that Zippy.

I honestly think race just isn't an issue for 90% of people now. Easy for me to say as a white male maybe and maybe i'm just being very naive. But i think Saido is being judged on his actions, same as if he was called Sam and was ginger.
I really believe that the black players get more (unfair) stick than the white players,I maybe wrong but it's how i see it
And I am a white male and not a raving lefty
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2659 on: May 02, 2015, 01:23:25 AM »
I really believe that the black players get more (unfair) stick than the white players,I maybe wrong but it's how i see it
And I am a white male and not a raving lefty
I completely disagree; off the top of my head the players I can think of who get the most stick over the past 5-10 years have been:

- Suarez (foreign)
- Terry (white English)
- Barton (white English)
- Ashley Cole (mixed race, English)

I genuinely can't think of any black players who get more abuse than white/other nationalities.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2660 on: May 02, 2015, 07:47:48 AM »

It's got absolutely nothing to do with the countless misdemeanors then? Nope it's just because he's black.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2661 on: May 02, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »
The narrative is a simple one from a media point of view these are young high profile athletes who earn small fortunes who are built up as role models and when they do stupid stuff it gets reported. I don't think there is a racial element. Wilshere's off field indiscretions (smoking) have been heavily reported, I shudder to think what the headlines would look like for Harry Kane if got himself into the situations that Saido has in the last twelve months.

If players conduct themselves in a professional manner there is no story when they don't it is a story. It really doesn't matter about the player's race.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2662 on: May 02, 2015, 12:05:34 PM »
It's got absolutely nothing to do with the countless misdemeanors then? Nope it's just because he's black.

Don't you  think the use of 'countless' is over the top? Not a favourite player then?

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2663 on: May 02, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
No I don't and no he's not.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2664 on: May 02, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »
Well done young man & i hope its a resounding success  :)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2665 on: May 02, 2015, 10:18:27 PM »
I completely disagree; off the top of my head the players I can think of who get the most stick over the past 5-10 years have been:

- Suarez (foreign)
- Terry (white English)
- Barton (white English)
- Ashley Cole (mixed race, English)

I genuinely can't think of any black players who get more abuse than white/other nationalities.
I actually meant in terms of our players
for instance
Berahino ..caught speeding and sucking helium (roughly speaking) and now  apparently he is billy big balls, got an attitude, doesn't deserve the shirt etc , in contrast Bednar actually done for real drugs and no one really said too much??
Odemwingie , practically created a period of continual downfall of the dingles on his own , as well as scoring umpteen goals for us in the premiership but because he was openly at another club on transfer day (as was fletcher to us) then he is satan ??
brown ..."he aye wuth 10million" etc etc etc
Vic ...He aye fit etc etc etc

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2666 on: May 02, 2015, 10:35:44 PM »
Anyone going to give the kid some credit for his performance this evening? Worked hard on little to no service and showed some good maturity and work ethic and had some good and important touches
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2667 on: May 02, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »
for instance
Berahino ..caught speeding and sucking helium (roughly speaking) and now  apparently he is billy big balls, got an attitude, doesn't deserve the shirt etc , in contrast Bednar actually done for real drugs and no one really said too much??
Odemwingie , practically created a period of continual downfall of the dingles on his own , as well as scoring umpteen goals for us in the premiership but because he was openly at another club on transfer day (as was fletcher to us) then he is satan ??
What's Brunt's excuse? He's the one who's got it in the neck the most over by far the most amount of time.

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2668 on: May 02, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »
Anyone going to give the kid some credit for his performance this evening? Worked hard on little to no service and showed some good maturity and work ethic and had some good and important touches

I said in game that he'd done a job for the team, he was one player of ours that could keep the ball when surrounded by Red. A very mature, selfless display tonight. Hopefully with Newcastles defensive issues he may be able to a grab a goal next week.

At least giving away the pen and then the follow up free kick means TP might rule him out for playing at the back  :P

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2669 on: May 03, 2015, 08:06:29 AM »
6 months ago he couldn't be relied on as a lone frontman but now you can rely on him. His hold up play and movement has improved. The goals will come back when we have some players with pace and power to support him post summer. He's the only striker we should keep anyway........

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2670 on: May 03, 2015, 08:33:37 AM »
worked tirelessly

fair play to the lad real team performance that was from Saido

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2671 on: May 03, 2015, 08:34:16 AM »
6 months ago he couldn't be relied on as a lone frontman but now you can rely on him. His hold up play and movement has improved. The goals will come back when we have some players with pace and power to support him post summer. He's the only striker we should keep anyway........

Agreed.

Messi wouldn't score 25 goals a season if he had no support.

Put Saido in a team that creates chances and he will score goals. He is a human being not a magician.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2672 on: May 03, 2015, 08:55:49 AM »
for instance
Our own players get stick if they deserve it, for instance Brown interacts well with the fans, he may be a bit rubbish but he's also well liked.

Berahino was caught speeding massively over the limit, Odemwingie **** on us as fans and as a club, and Anichebe gets the same treatment that the likes of Brunt, Ridgewell etc got simply for being poor at times.

mateinone

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2673 on: May 03, 2015, 12:52:21 PM »
for instance

This whole post is offensive to suggest that supporters back or don't back players at this club due to color.
Odemwingie went out of his way to create and foster a division between himself and us, to compare him being at QPR on transfer day to Fletcher is just incredibly deceptive, PO had lost 90% or more of the fans I would think by the time he did leave, I wanted to like him, he was very good on the ball, had a great shot and wasn't afraid to unleash, but... he was an absolute twonk and that had nothing to do with his skin color.
We all want to like Berahino also, but he tests patience because his attitude off the club is that off a selfish player and not one of a hard working professional and he tests that way people feel when he openly states he wants to leave.
Players are judged on performance on and (whether people like it or not in the modern world) off the pitch. Not on skin color.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2674 on: May 03, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »
I think all we ask of the players that wear the shirt is to treat the  club and fans with a bit of respect instead of doing the billy big balls like some of them do
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'