Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556516 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #1925 on: January 06, 2015, 03:04:24 PM »
Not suprised he didnt smile the other day when he scored 4 goals knowing he had a court appearance coming up. Hopefully he will finally learn his lesson. Prehaps he needs to step away from some of his friends who might not be a great influence.
If it is the reason that he didn't celebrate, I wish he would have come out and said so. People would have been far more supportive if he had said something along the lines of ' I have things outside of football that I have to deal with right now, which made celebrating difficult', I think we would all have understood and respected him. As it was it made him look sulky and arrogant.
That being said, now that this is in the public domain, I hope he realises that as fans we are right behind him and will support him through it.
Whatever the outcome of the court case, he has had a lucky escape in that no one was hurt, he needs to take his punishment and use it as a springboard to becoming the player and man he has the potential to be.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1926 on: January 06, 2015, 03:04:51 PM »
there is some merit in this Big dave is a religious guy and could maybe get through to saido in a way which a relatively elderly, white, non-religous guy (AI / S.Clarke / TP / lee hughes) maybe would not. Just a thought.

Great shout that is!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1927 on: January 06, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »
If my father figure / mentor was big Dave, I would not be screwing up too much I can tell you!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1928 on: January 06, 2015, 04:01:41 PM »
You beat me to it Albionic! I was just thinking that I was liking what I was reading about the Big Dave angle. I agree, if anyone can get into SB's head in a positive way and maybe relate to SB's religious side then it would be Big Dave. A nicer, more placid,caring bloke you couldn't wish to meet. Darren Moore would be perfect and I'm sure he would jump at the chance to help out in this situation.

Top shout that.  The perfect mentor 

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1929 on: January 06, 2015, 04:31:07 PM »
I actually think a 2 week jail term or something similar could be the best thing for him. He seems to have an attitude on him and if he 'gets away' with this it could only  make him think he's even more untouchable than he already does.

All speculation of course as none of really know the guy or how his mind works but strangely I do think a short spell inside might do him some good.

Baggies54

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1930 on: January 06, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »
If I were the JP presiding in the magistrates court I would give him the maximum fine payable and the maximum jail term allowed....with the jail term being suspended for the maximum period allowed for a suspended sentence, maybe, just maybe he might be careful enough for long enough to survive until he got more sense.
"Scientific criticism has no nobler task than to shatter false beliefs".......

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1931 on: January 06, 2015, 04:55:42 PM »
If I were the JP presiding in the magistrates court I would give him the maximum fine payable and the maximum jail term allowed....with the jail term being suspended for the maximum period allowed for a suspended sentence, maybe, just maybe he might be careful enough for long enough to survive until he got more sense.

What, Jeremy Peace is the bloke in charge of the court case?? Berahino should be ok then! ;D

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1932 on: January 06, 2015, 04:56:51 PM »
What, Jeremy Peace is the bloke in charge of the court case?? Berahino should be ok then! ;D

I was just thinking the same thing !   I guess that would be a bit of a conflict of interests!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1933 on: January 06, 2015, 05:22:16 PM »
Cyrille Regis would also be an ideal mentor. Black, religious, made some mistakes but learned from them, well respected throughout the game not just at Albion.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1934 on: January 06, 2015, 05:36:56 PM »
I think that the bottom line is the only person that can help him is himself. Hopefully he can sort his life out.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1935 on: January 06, 2015, 05:41:57 PM »
I think that the bottom line is the only person that can help him is himself. Hopefully he can sort his life out.

This is very true no matter how good a mentor/role model you are if the person you are trying to mentor doesn't want help it won't make a sods worth of difference.

rogerstubbs

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1936 on: January 06, 2015, 05:58:07 PM »
As Carlo Nash ,possible new keeper coach,is a Christian ,has a long running running 140 mph speeding case together with other matters account to his profile ,he may may be able to help saido

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1937 on: January 06, 2015, 06:15:14 PM »
 The truth will no doubt come out in court and what sentence he gets rather depends on the severity of the offence i.e. how much over the limit plus any other factors. If , as reported that he was travelling at 120 mph then that will not help his case. In extremis there is the possibility for a custodial sentence even for a first offence.

Setting aside the gross stupidity of his alleged actions it is worrying from the club's perspective that our rising star looks as capable of crashing and burning as shinning. Tony Pulis does have a record of working with troubled young men Etherington  and Pennant spring to mind and keeping them on the straight and narrow at least to the degree that they could make a telling contribution to his Stoke side.

Both of those players had used up lots of second chances and their careers were to a rescued by their move to Stoke. Berahino is at a stage where his indiscretions can still be discounted as part of his learning process and the club does have the option of unloading the downside risk of Berahino to another club and pocketing a substantial fee.

Assuming that he receives a non-custodial sentence the most sensible approach would be to let the coaching staff work with player and maybe a mentor such Darren Moore. If by the summer we reach the conclusion that he is more trouble than he is worth or we cannot persuade him to sign a new contract then the decision is an easy one. However as an earlier poster pointed out the change has to come from within and he has realise he is on the threshold of what could a brilliant career but he has to grow up before he blows it.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggies54

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1938 on: January 06, 2015, 06:25:05 PM »

:D :D Yes I realised that just as I pressed the post button, I'm sure you know I meant Justice of the Peace.... ::)
"Scientific criticism has no nobler task than to shatter false beliefs".......

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1939 on: January 06, 2015, 06:31:17 PM »
  :D :D Yes I realised that just as I pressed the post button, I'm sure you know I meant Justice of the Peace.... ::)

I knew what you meant, I just couldn't resist!  :D

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1940 on: January 06, 2015, 06:53:28 PM »
so much rubbish on here, hes 21 yrs of age not 14 so flip him have you all forgot what most 21 yr olds do in the real world such as mortgage ,kids responsibility to yourself and others, the bloke earns more in 2-3 yrs than most people will in a lifetime. not taking away the difficult  first  10 yrs in his life but all this religious pooh he spouts is just hypocrisy. grow up accept responsibility and drop the attidude then I may just may acknowledge him as a decent person who aspires to be something other than a closed enigma.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1941 on: January 06, 2015, 06:57:32 PM »
21 yr olds do in the real world such as mortgage ,kids

those are one end of the scale and 21yr olds with 14 yr old attitudes are the other. SB has had an extraordinary life, you cannot judge him by the norm (average).
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1942 on: January 06, 2015, 07:17:25 PM »
He won't go to jail if it's simply drink driving, just a driving ban and a fine...at least, that's what everyone who appears on Motorway Cops gets :D

That's not the case.

I was told at work today by those who deal with such matters that if you drive above 100mph and are under the influence of alcohol then there's a posibility of a custodial sentence - my colleague at work has seen it happen to first time offenders too. They take into the account the amount of alchohol consumed, the speed in which you were driving and the dangers your actions could have caused.

If Berahino does a stretch in prison then he will have no sympathy from me. He should plead guilty, admit to the magistrates that he has made a great error of judgement and accept the punishment which comes his way. I think he may be lucky and escape a short custodial sentence.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:20:28 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1943 on: January 06, 2015, 07:25:01 PM »
That's not the case.

I was told at work today by those who deal with such matters that if you drive above 100mph and are under the influence of alcohol then there's a posibility of a custodial sentence - my colleague at work has seen it happen to first time offenders too. They take into the account the amount of alchohol consumed, the speed in which you were driving and the dangers your actions could have caused.

If Berahino does a stretch in prison then he will have no sympathy from me. He should plead guilty, admit to the magistrates that he has made a great error of judgement and accept the punishment which comes his way. I think he may be lucky and escape a short custodial sentence.
no chance money behind him and the best lawyer they can get... will be the same as every other football a ban and a hefty fine

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1944 on: January 06, 2015, 08:20:47 PM »
That's not the case.

Liam,
Can you ask if there's any significance in his bail being cancelled?
For example, could he be facing a lesser charge, where he doesn't have to attend court in person?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1945 on: January 06, 2015, 08:27:45 PM »
so much rubbish on here, hes 21 yrs of age not 14 so **** him have you all forgot what most 21 yr olds do in the real world such as mortgage ,kids responsibility to yourself and others, the bloke earns more in 2-3 yrs than most people will in a lifetime. not taking away the difficult  first  10 yrs in his life but all this religious pooh he spouts is just hypocrisy. grow up accept responsibility and drop the attidude then I may just may acknowledge him as a decent person who aspires to be something other than a closed enigma.

kyle/shellsuit/burberry cap/7 kids /asbo etc etc
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1946 on: January 06, 2015, 08:45:16 PM »
Any chance Swansea could sniff about if Bony goes as expected? I dont think we would sell to them if we could help it as it makes us look small as a club if we sell our best forward to Swansea, and I dont think Berahino would want to go if he had offeres from Spurs/Liverpool on the table.

I think Gomis is meant to be the Bony replacement but hes not looked great so far, and whilst I'm not saying I think it will happen I wouldnt be surprised to see him at least linked if Bony leaves

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1947 on: January 06, 2015, 09:04:39 PM »
Liam,
Can you ask if there's any significance in his bail being cancelled?
For example, could he be facing a lesser charge, where he doesn't have to attend court in person?

Was it confirmed that his bail was cancelled? I wasn't aware of that.

I guess a prison sentence is unlikely although I wouldn't rule anything out. In any event, he would be foolish not to attend court as he has been charged.

I would expect him to receive a fine and be disqualified from driving - as he is due to appear in a magistrates court then his fine will be anything up to £5,000 which is the maximum fine permitted in the magistrates court. Fines are usually taken into account on a persons income and their ability to pay.

His ban from driving or any potential prison sentence would depend on the amount of alcohol he had consumed on the night of his offence. There are guidelines available but I'm not sure what they are off the top of my head as I don't work in a Criminal based section. He will however get a reduction off the ban providing he takes part in a driving awareness course or whatever they're called nowadays.

He would be pointless getting legal representation as he will not, regardless of his mitigation put forward, escape a driving ban but they will argue for a lesser fine and reduction in the ban.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:12:15 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1948 on: January 06, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
Was it confirmed that his bail was cancelled? I wasn't aware of that.

I guess a prison sentence is unlikely although I wouldn't rule anything out. In any event, he would be foolish not to attend court.

I would expect him to receive a fine and be disqualified from driving - as he is due to appear in a magistrates court then his fine will be anything up to £5,000 which is the maximum fine permitted in the magistrates court. Fines are usually taken into account on a persons income and their ability to pay.

His ban from driving or any potential prison sentence would depend on the amount of alcohol he had consumed on the night of his offence. There are guidelines available but I'm not sure what they are off the top of my head as I don't work in a Criminal based section. He will however get a reduction off the ban providing he takes part in a driving awareness course or whatever they're called nowadays.

He would be pointless getting legal representation as he will not, regardless of his mitigation put forward, escape a driving ban.

Hi Liam,

This is a quote from the Manchester Evening News

West Bromwich Albion striker, Saido Berahino is set to appear in court after being arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.

Cheshire Police said a court summons was due to be issued to the, who was called up to the England senior squad in November last year.

Berahino was arrested in the early hours of October 22 after a police patrol stopped a car travelling southbound on the M6 near Warrington.

In a statement, Cheshire Constabulary said the 21-year-old's bail had been cancelled and he would instead be issued with a summons to appear at court on a date to be fixed.

The player scored four goals in Albion's 7-0 FA Cup win over Gateshead last Saturday and signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract with the Baggies in December 2013.

Berahino came to the UK from war-torn Burundi as a child with his mother, brother and sisters and settled with his family in Birmingham.

The England under-21 star was selected for the full England squad in November but was a non-playing substitute for matches against Slovenia and Scotland.

It is understood Berahino has been sent a postal requisition instructing him to appear at North Cheshire Magistrates' Court in Runcorn on Monday January 19.

A spokesman for the striker's club declined to comment on the court proceedings.

I just wondered if the sentences in blue had any significance, he was originally bailed on suspicion of drink driving, but the Cheshire police have not said what he's been charged with, & what he's got to defend at his court appearance. For Example the first sentence doesn't say he's been charged with drinking and driving.

The full article is here http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/premier-league-player-appear-suspicion-8392766?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:22:24 PM by B_H_Baggie »
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1949 on: January 06, 2015, 09:21:44 PM »
I wonder if:

A) The speeding offence was not on a calibrated instrument so would be challengeable.

B) The alcohol offence is marginal/on count back, may be challengeable.

Hence the delay whilst prosecution likelihood was considered.
Baggie in Southampton