Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5163918 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #19075 on: November 27, 2020, 12:15:14 PM »
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, he was happy to stay here playing second fiddle for years as he didn't want to move house so not sure its down to loyalty, more to keeping the family happy.
63 games for us and 42 on loan at Blooze in 10 years, Nice work !

average of 10 games a year for how much dosh?  I actually thought he was half decent, but talk about a gravy train, sickening when you think about it !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19076 on: November 27, 2020, 12:32:23 PM »
Boaz was contented with his lot and there is much to recommend that approach to ones working life.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19077 on: November 27, 2020, 04:50:28 PM »
Boaz was contented with his lot and there is much to recommend that approach to ones working life.

Absolutely, I don't blame Boaz for the crazy environment he works within,
Its the fact he and all the others can do this which makes me mad, and this in a country where key workers cannot get a decent wage, it is disgusting.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19078 on: November 28, 2020, 03:21:04 PM »
63 games for us and 42 on loan at Blooze in 10 years, Nice work !

average of 10 games a year for how much dosh?  I actually thought he was half decent, but talk about a gravy train, sickening when you think about it !
But it’s not like any other position on the park is it?
Every club has keepers on the stroll that basically get paid for training .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19079 on: November 28, 2020, 04:05:34 PM »
Holding Stoke with a rigid 4-5-1 (although we all know its more like 8-1-1) Whoever Wednesday's striker is needs to say a fond farewell to his teammates, he won't be seeing much of them any time soon  :)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #19080 on: November 28, 2020, 04:12:03 PM »
Holding Stoke with a rigid 4-5-1 (although we all know its more like 8-1-1) Whoever Wednesday's striker is needs to say a fond farewell to his teammates, he won't be seeing much of them any time soon  :)

Callum Patterson

He was being played in central midfield last week  :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19081 on: November 28, 2020, 04:46:36 PM »
Still Sheff Wed-Stoke 0-0. I bet that's gripping edge of your seat to watch.  ::)
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19082 on: November 28, 2020, 05:00:55 PM »
Still Sheff Wed-Stoke 0-0. I bet that's gripping edge of your seat to watch.  ::)
He'll be avin a glass of red tonight, toasting a job well done.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19083 on: November 28, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »
He is doing the job isn't he? Not pretty to watch I'll bet ....

He will save them, get the recognition and for some strange reason the Owls board will think that he can get them promoted, give him a big fat contract extension, and it will then go 'pete tong'
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 05:36:36 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19084 on: November 28, 2020, 06:07:22 PM »
37% Possession 0 shots on target, sound familiar?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19085 on: November 28, 2020, 06:23:54 PM »
37% Possession 0 shots on target, sound familiar?

And a point in the bag for a team in the bottom three.

Sounds very familiar and pleased it’s somebody else, but feel for them.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19086 on: November 30, 2020, 03:59:30 PM »
I'm sorry, but it's funny seeing Wednesday going through the same stuff as we did. I mean, I feel for them having him as manager, but I saw comments on twitter Saturday:

"It'll be fine once he's had a window to bring in his players". This kept being said here, no matter how many of his 'own players' he kept bringing in.

"Why are we playing four centre halves", with the reply being "Because our full backs are rubbish". No, it's just his style. He plays 4 centre-halves so that they play narrow and pack the box.

It just goes to show that most football fans are the same deep down.

Interesting that he put Jordan Rhodes on at half-time, but withdrew him before 90 were up.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19087 on: December 01, 2020, 09:00:34 AM »
At least they haven't got season tickets to witness the 'spectacle' of brand Pulis in person. My alcohol intake went through the roof back then as a means to dull the pain. Should've invoiced the club seeing as Goodman and Williams were hell bent on chucking good money after bad during that final season in particular. All the same there were some excellent away days........ albeit they were rudely interrupted by the 'football'.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19088 on: December 01, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
At least they haven't got season tickets to witness the 'spectacle' of brand Pulis in person. My alcohol intake went through the roof back then as a means to dull the pain. Should've invoiced the club seeing as Goodman and Williams were hell bent on chucking good money after bad during that final season in particular. All the same there were some excellent away days........ albeit they were rudely interrupted by the 'football'.
I always said Pulis was a good teletext manager (remember back in the day when you couldn't get to the game and it wasn't on the radio so you just stared at teletext, waiting for it to refresh??)
If you don't actually attend games, watch streams or listen to radio, and just look at results in the paper, he's your man! Anything else and he's the devil.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19089 on: December 01, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »
I'm sorry, but it's funny seeing Wednesday going through the same stuff as we did. I mean, I feel for them having him as manager, but I saw comments on twitter Saturday:

"It'll be fine once he's had a window to bring in his players". This kept being said here, no matter how many of his 'own players' he kept bringing in.

"Why are we playing four centre halves", with the reply being "Because our full backs are rubbish". No, it's just his style. He plays 4 centre-halves so that they play narrow and pack the box.

It just goes to show that most football fans are the same deep down.

Interesting that he put Jordan Rhodes on at half-time, but withdrew him before 90 were up.

This it is so funny to watch fans do this and until you confront the grim reality of Pulisball week in week out you don't properly understand.  Other fans from his previous clubs queue up on social media to sympathise or laugh at the poor souls who are now desperately clinging to the idea that Pulisball might be a necessary evil or they once saw 45 minutes of quite good football from one of his sides or it cannot be as bad as all that. No what you see is what you get week after week and he might keep Wednesday up but in the end their fans will just won't care anymore they will want the pain to stop.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19090 on: December 01, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »
Non match days become fleeting moments of relief from a world of enduring tooth ache.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19091 on: December 01, 2020, 12:08:18 PM »
I was all for him when he was appointed and I remember being rather bemused by the numerous negative comments about 'not going whilst he was in charge' etc. How can it be so bad?

Now I know....
MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19092 on: December 01, 2020, 12:47:39 PM »
I was all for him when he was appointed and I remember being rather bemused by the numerous negative comments about 'not going whilst he was in charge' etc. How can it be so bad?

Now I know....

I felt exactly the same at the time Kev and, like you, now I know.

But I still wonder, given our position at the time, whether we sacked him too late or too early, guess I'll never know the answer to that one
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19093 on: December 01, 2020, 12:52:58 PM »

But I still wonder, given our position at the time, whether we sacked him too late or too early, guess I'll never know the answer to that one
The fact that we talk about our longest stint in the Greed league with such disdain and regret tells the whole story, it was employing him that we got wrong, not sacking him.

My thoughts are with Sheffield Wednesday and their family at this difficult time.  :'(

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19094 on: December 01, 2020, 01:12:32 PM »
The fact that we talk about our longest stint in the Greed league with such disdain and regret tells the whole story, it was employing him that we got wrong, not sacking him.

My thoughts are with Sheffield Wednesday and their family at this difficult time.  :'(
hiring him at the time was fine, we needed a turn around and he did that, but as a firefighter he should have gone when the put all the fires out at the end of the half season., not stay and start more.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19095 on: December 01, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »

Sacked him way too late in my opinion. Pulis does one job very well, but he has no ambition, is not interested in honours or even league positions given our disastarous run a couple of seasons ago when we confirmed survival; we then went 9 or 10 games without troubling anybody, and went down two league places in the final game after a rubbish 'on the beach' performance at Swansea. I think that cost us a few bob given that you get more for finishing higher up the table.

He got his big fat contract and we then had to pay him off - job done.

In the highly unlikely event that he ever did return [and he won't], then I too will be a 'stay away'
MAGA!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19096 on: December 01, 2020, 02:17:19 PM »
We did keep him too long once he was here, we he should have gone the summer before he did - a better manager might have helped use the money we were throwing around more wisely, and kept us up. However I would argue that not appointing him at all would have been better for the club in the long term.

Yes, we had more time in the Premier League, but thanks to the mismanagement in that final year, we didn't even really have a sound financial footing to show for it. If we'd gone down under Irvine, with Peace still in charge, it would have forced a change. Peace would either have had to sell at a lower price to (probably) a more interested party, or he would have had to focus on finding a new long-term vision for the club (aka a new Dan Ashworth).

Instead, the short-term approach of Pulis kept us up, effectively to the long-term detriment of the club as a whole.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19097 on: December 02, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »
We did keep him too long once he was here, we he should have gone the summer before he did - a better manager might have helped use the money we were throwing around more wisely, and kept us up. However I would argue that not appointing him at all would have been better for the club in the long term.

Yes, we had more time in the Premier League, but thanks to the mismanagement in that final year, we didn't even really have a sound financial footing to show for it. If we'd gone down under Irvine, with Peace still in charge, it would have forced a change. Peace would either have had to sell at a lower price to (probably) a more interested party, or he would have had to focus on finding a new long-term vision for the club (aka a new Dan Ashworth).

Instead, the short-term approach of Pulis kept us up, effectively to the long-term detriment of the club as a whole.

This is just so true.....

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19098 on: December 02, 2020, 02:14:31 PM »
All if's buts and maybes.  I think it would have been more likely that we'd have gone down and then languished in the middle to bottom of the Championship for a few years.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19099 on: December 02, 2020, 11:01:30 PM »
Pulis update... sheff weds had 22 per cent possession in their 1-1 draw tonight. Sounds like another riveting game.