Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 726845 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #3075 on: June 05, 2019, 08:57:24 AM »
"Nigel Pearson interview: Leicester success, Belgian differences, and why reputations can be misleading"

An interesting and insightful read on Pearson. An obvious PR exercise, similar to Pardew's recent attempt at rehabilitation after disastrous periods in his career

Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11734762/nigel-pearson-interview-leicester-success-belgian-differences-and-why-reputations-can-be-misleading
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3076 on: June 05, 2019, 09:01:16 AM »
Dowling 'Well Bruno, what sort of wage are you thinking of?' Bruno 'I thought around £40k per week' Dowling 'Thats £2m a year!' Bruno 'Thats correct. Is that an issue?'
Dowling' I suppose not, but thats the entire transfer budget as well' Bruno 'Ok, see you later'

Press report club are still interested in Bruno, but are looking at other options.......

..............& wages are not an issue
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3077 on: June 05, 2019, 09:11:55 AM »
I don't buy into this 'the club are still interested but looking at other options.'

If you were that interested in someone, you would just make them the boss. On the flip side, if I was a manager and knew the club were interested in me, to then be told we are exploring other options but we are still interested, that would make me think twice about going there.

I do think the club now know they have to get this appointment spot on. They have had 3 months to find the man for the job, for them then to give it a novice or someone like Shan would make a mockery of the whole thing.

In any other season I wouldn't be too concerned about how long its taking, but what I am concerned about is how big the rebuild is this season in terms of the squad and we should really be getting some of our business done early, but without a manager that's obviously not going to happen.

A post from yesterday from someone who knew someone within the club that had said the fans would be happy with the appointment got me thinking that it could be someone like McInnes who gets it. He has been linked with us several times in the past, not so much this time and it's someone like him that 90% of the fanbase would take to him immediately. I can't think of too many other managers out there that would have that much backing.

For example, Hughton probably gives you like a 60-40 split in terms of fans who would be happy with him in charge, same goes with the likes of Cowley, Pearson etc etc.

I didn't buy into the Wilder links and I believe that was a tactic used by his agent to get him a better deal, anyone who knows our current situation knows how shocking our board are and how little our budget is going to be so it didn't make sense.

We can sit here and sl*g Dowling off all we like but his job pretty much lies on this appointment, he knows he has to get this appointment right. That being said, I don't trust we will get the right man as Jenkins will ensure he has as little as possible to work with moneywise in order to rebuild this squad.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3078 on: June 05, 2019, 09:24:33 AM »
Spinning plates sounds a bit like shopping with the missus.

1st shop: Tries on a top and loves it
"How's it look?",
"Fantastic, you should get it"
"It's a bit pricey, I might have a look round, might get something cheaper"
"If you like it, it's worth it, just get it"
"No, come on we can always come back"
5 hours and 27 shops later.
"I think I'm going to go back and get that first top, it was perfect"
Get back to 1st top and guess what?
"Oh no, they don't have it in my size now"

Leave shop with Michael Appleton.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3079 on: June 05, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »
Skype’s banned by the government I believe, WhatsApp too.

I do a lot of business with China for work and there are plenty of applications that can be used for video conferencing that are not banned in China.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3080 on: June 05, 2019, 09:46:45 AM »
I don't really see the attraction to Pearson.  1 promotion from about 6/7 seasons at championship level with 4 different clubs (5 if you want to count leicester twice).  No stability.  Falls out with everyone.  Obviously struggles under pressure (relationship breakdowns, McArthur, ostrich, etc).

Looking at his record, from a results and personality perspective, I don't see him as an attractive candidate.  If I was Jenkins, happily making bad decisions, holed up in my bunker, I definitely don't need the hassle.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3081 on: June 05, 2019, 09:58:59 AM »
Sky sports understands Slaven bilic is the new number one candidate.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3082 on: June 05, 2019, 10:01:26 AM »
Just had a quick search of out of work managers (yes I am bored):

Heiko Herrlich - ex Bayer Leverkusen
Big Sam
Claude Puel
Theirry Henry
Mark Hughes
Jokanovic
Moyes
Bilic
Hughton
Rowett
Poyet
Philip Cocu
Filipo Inzaghi
Karanka
Oscar Garcia
Paul Clement

That's not to include any managers who's contracts may be expiring this month, i.e Labaddia.

Then there are loads of managers who from Spain, Germany, France but some I have never heard of.

As you can see, the freebie list isn't too appealing in all honesty.

I really do believe the job will be either Appleton, McInnes or Shan.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3083 on: June 05, 2019, 10:01:40 AM »
I've kept extremely quiet on the issue in fairness, largely because I have given up caring/hoping when it comes to the Albion nowadays.

I will wait to see who they actually appoint, if they ever do, and give my opinion then.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3084 on: June 05, 2019, 10:03:38 AM »
I tend not to believe a lot of what Sky Sports say in all honesty, I have lost count of how many times they've thrown a rumour out there, took bets on it, and then it gets distanced by the end of the day and Sky sit there laughing at the money they've made.

I will believe the Bilic link as/when its reported by someone credible.

I would be happy if he Slav did come in, but if I remember correctly he turned us down when we sacked Pulis didn't he?

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3085 on: June 05, 2019, 10:05:07 AM »
Sky Is reporting that Bilic is believed to want more money than Albion are prepared to pay. What’s new :-X

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3086 on: June 05, 2019, 10:06:23 AM »
Sky Is reporting that Bilic is believed to want more money than Albion are prepared to pay. What’s new :-X
It goes on to say that the issue isn’t insurmountable. Interviewed last night and really impressed.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3087 on: June 05, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »
Pearson would be a good choice for me but seeing that Middlesbrough are also after a manager and he was a player there, I would imagine that will be his 1st choice.

The board need to get there act together. Only 2 months left until transfer window closes.  We have an ever reducing squad with all the loan players returning to their clubs and potentially Rodriguez and Dawson going to Burnley and Fenerbache interested in Gibbs, doesn't leave us with a lot .  In fact with whats left , mid table would be best we could expect.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3089 on: June 05, 2019, 10:28:07 AM »
Well this isn't one of the names I expected to see. Would be pleased if it came.off but not getting too excited.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3090 on: June 05, 2019, 10:31:21 AM »
Bilic would certainly be an exciting appointment, but it sounds too good to be true.

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3091 on: June 05, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »
It’s a new exciting link every week  ::)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3092 on: June 05, 2019, 10:40:28 AM »
Mirror (yes I know) saying Bilic “set to be named”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-slaven-bilic-set-named-16258675

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3093 on: June 05, 2019, 10:41:30 AM »
Is there anyone else left to talk to now?

This analysis paralysis is really dragging on.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3094 on: June 05, 2019, 10:51:04 AM »
Mirror (yes I know) saying Bilic “set to be named”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-slaven-bilic-set-named-16258675

They say we spoke to him on Tuesday.
If we're ready to appoint him so soon after I'd be amazed
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3095 on: June 05, 2019, 10:54:27 AM »
I'd never really thought of Bilic. Would be OK by me though, certainly better than a lot of names I've seen linked.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3096 on: June 05, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »
Just searching for my Slaven Bilic avatar, sorry Jokanovic, but I'd take Bilic in a heartbeat.

Fingers crossed and everything else that's crossable, even my eyes  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3097 on: June 05, 2019, 11:07:56 AM »
Can't imagine Bilic would come on the cheap.

Guessing he has realised he isn't going to get a premier league job anytime soon so may be worth stepping down a league.

I assume he would want reassurance of a decent enough budget to build a team capable of challenging.

Can't see it happening to be honest, think money will be a major factor.

Brombo97

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3098 on: June 05, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »
Bilic, another failed manager, too old, too expensive (possibly), away from English football for too long, lacking in charisma. Why does everyone sound so pleased that he'
s on the radar?

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3099 on: June 05, 2019, 11:31:43 AM »
Bilic, another failed manager, too old, too expensive (possibly), away from English football for too long, lacking in charisma. Why does everyone sound so pleased that he'
s on the radar?

Because he's not Michael Appleton