Author Topic: Official Rugby League thread  (Read 6821 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Official Rugby League thread
« on: January 30, 2020, 08:55:44 AM »
I love this weekend. Not only does the six nations start, but tonight, we get the return of Super League.

Does anyone follow it on here?

St Helens have dominated for the last few years but Wigan and Warrington are expected to challenge them this season.

The 2 big stories though are Toronto Wolfpack from Canada, who were promoted last season starting their first ever season. They have signed Sonny Bill Williams, however most pundits tip them to finish bottom (potentially being replaced ny another French side - Tolouse Olympique - next year.

The other big story is that Catalan Dragons have finally made the move for Israel Folou. Nobody can deny he will potentially be the best player in super league, but how long can he keep his mouth shut about gay people burning in hell? I give it 4 months max.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Official Rugby League thread
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »
Big Saints fan, expecting us to dominate again.

Looking forward to seeing BOTH Williams and Folau, who should bring many more eyes to the sport.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 09:37:45 AM »
Hull Fc have strengthened and have got rid of some of the dead wood, if we can play for the whole season and not do our usual collapse at the business end of the season I fancy us to push for the top spot.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 10:16:46 AM »
Hull Fc have strengthened and have got rid of some of the dead wood, if we can play for the whole season and not do our usual collapse at the business end of the season I fancy us to push for the top spot.

Nothing like a bit of optimism mate. Good luck.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 07:09:49 PM »
Love a game of rugby league - no particular allegiance to any club mind!

Watched a great documentary the other night on Eddie Hemings - his voice is missed
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 07:11:14 PM »
My only hope for the season is that Wigan continue to fall short. It would be good if somebody new could win as it does feel like the overall championship just gets passed between a couple of clubs (as opposed to the league leaders shield which has had Castleford, Huddersfield and Warrington wins).

The championship will also ne interesting this year. Hard to believe they hsve so many big named clubs playing second tier rugby.
Boing Boing

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 07:16:50 PM »
And what do we think of Catalans Dragons new signing?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 07:49:04 PM »

Watched a great documentary the other night on Eddie Hemings - his voice is missed

I can remember Eddie Wearing, such a charismatic man with a wonderful northern accent and tone of voice that was so descriptive in his commentaries. 
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 10:46:18 PM »

Not a nice bloke, but one hell of a player. Catalans will be exciting to watch with him and Sam Tomkins in the same side and could challenge.
Boing Boing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 12:47:57 AM »

No particular allegiance either but I do like a bit of Rugby League. We should pay a visit to the St Helens branch of the Chris Brunt supporters club for a guided tour one of the days  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 07:55:51 AM »

He'll be by far the best player in the competition. Imagine a few clubs will make it 'Pride Day' when Catalans are in town, something the Pies have already announced, although it'll probably just fire him up.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »

He'll be by far the best player in the competition. Imagine a few clubs will make it 'Pride Day' when Catalans are in town, something the Pies have already announced, although it'll probably just fire him up.

Sure one announced it yesterday or the day before, can't remember who it was though

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »
Sure one announced it yesterday or the day before, can't remember who it was though

Yeah mate, Wigan (The Pies).

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 11:44:00 AM »

Talk about rubbing his nose in it........  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 08:01:30 PM »

Nothing like a bit of optimism mate. Good luck.

Leeds 4 - 30 Hull Fc

Just saying like.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2020, 08:22:43 PM »
Leeds 4 - 30 Hull Fc

Just saying like.

Saw a bit of that. Combination of Hull playing well and Leeds still being firmly in the doldrums.

Saints swept last years grand finalists aside on Friday night without 2 of our best players and will take some stopping again this year.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2020, 08:26:15 PM »
No particular allegiance either but I do like a bit of Rugby League. We should pay a visit to the St Helens branch of the Chris Brunt supporters club for a guided tour one of the days  ;) .

I’m sure Jacko will give us a guided tour of St Helens greatest pubs.

Shall only take ten minutes  :D

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2020, 11:18:20 PM »
Watching the Toronto Castleford game in the half time break of the 6 nations, Sonny Bill Williams looked a bit off the pace. He could get back into the swing of things after he gets his match fitness back but Toronto’s squad depth doesn’t look great and feel for them losing out on home advantage playing their first few home games over here.
Boing Boing

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 09:37:19 AM »
Good to see HKR getting off to a win, especially after the pre-season career ending injury to Mose Masoe.

To be honest I don't really follow rugby (used to go to see Rovers in mid to late 70's with school mates as I lived near the old Craven Park) but still look out for HKR results.

Moving to Hull in 1974 it was strange to me that the locals were more interested in rugby than proper football even though Hull City were a mid-table Div 2 side at the time.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 01:08:08 PM »
Good to see HKR getting off to a win, especially after the pre-season career ending injury to Mose Masoe.

To be honest I don't really follow rugby (used to go to see Rovers in mid to late 70's with school mates as I lived near the old Craven Park) but still look out for HKR results.

Moving to Hull in 1974 it was strange to me that the locals were more interested in rugby than proper football even though Hull City were a mid-table Div 2 side at the time.
The Derby should be good on Friday night, hopefully with an FC win.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 08:15:32 PM »
Always kept an eye on the super league but never really watched it, saw this thread and watched the Wigan match last week and now watching Warrington v St Helens and I’m really into it if I’m honest.

Seems to have an almost football match atmosphere as well

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2020, 08:25:25 PM »
One of the things I enjoy about it, is that the atmosphere, is a big part of it, much better than we get in football nowadays, and definitely like how it used to be years ago, but without the scrapping. Though watching Hull FC in the Derby last year in the Hull KR end was a bit hairy. It’s also a pleasure to see a physical game where players just get up after shuddering tackles unlike the majority of footballers who are just cheats. Also Rugby League has managed to make the video ref decisions part of of the spectacle, along with the constant communication of the ref as to what he is doing.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2020, 09:40:53 PM »
Strong Warrington performance against a massively injury depleted Saints team. Imagine Liverpool without Alisson, Van Dijk, Salah, Mane and Firmino.

Need to get these lads back fit asap and get back to winning ways.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 10:08:28 PM »
I'm not sure I do love the atmosphere in rugby league games in the same way I like Union atmospheres. I remember going to Warrington in the World club challenege once and it was a bit of the thuggy side. Have only see league live on 4 occasions and that was the only time I felt it - maybe it is a thing about clubs called the Wolves.

Great Hull derby today - way better than last nights one sided game.  Hull look decent but KR could have taken it.

Glad for Castleford as well - why are Wigan always so poor at the start of Super league seasons? They always come good but have had poor starts for as long as I can remember.
Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 03:58:24 PM »
Rugby league still on sky sports?

Barely see it advertised nowadays