Author Topic: TV Games  (Read 142695 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: TV Games
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2018, 11:46:38 AM »
Why, if they are going to be muted so not heard by anyone not in the ground? Surely the point would be for them to be heard by the viewing public?

Any protest needs to be visual and not directly reference sky, something like Tennis balls with 7 / 7 = No in black marker launched onto pitch at half time just before restart (delaying the  restart and pi55ing off sky would be ideal and should attract their competitors media attention as a bonus)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:14:00 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2018, 11:47:31 AM »
Why, if they are going to be muted so not heard by anyone not in the ground? Surely the point would be for them to be heard by the viewing public?
Yeah but it would be some good anarchic fun to alleviate the probable despair at the goings on on the pitch! 
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2018, 01:16:11 PM »

1. Great chance to let our feelings known to Sky, if they mute us it means they can hear us.

2. If it's reported by other outlets (and it will be) we raise awareness of our feelings to those outside of the fixture, encouraging others to voice their frustrations when it's their turn to be messed about.

3. It'll make me feel a bit better ahead of the Sheffield Utd fixture where I would again voice my lack of appreciation for their continued intrusion into my social life and extra expense on my late return (taxi).

4. I want to.

5. Why not?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

rogerstubbs

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »
Is anybody else fed up with the way our fixtures have been arranged this season ?Apart from sky regularly moving them from Saturday at 3 pm to an evening we also often have 2 consecutive games away followed by 2 at home. Consequently we have only one home game in the whole of November,then 2 home  games in 5days ,both on evenings.then no more home games until after Chirstmas.Then 2 games in 4 days at home.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2018, 03:52:53 PM »
given sky my notice
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
given sky my notice

Never had it, never will. IMO it is,  sorry, it has killed football.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2018, 08:46:05 PM »
yes Sky started all this but it's not going to change now....if it's not Sky it'll be BT / Amazon /Netflix or multiple TV companies across the world.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2018, 10:12:54 PM »
the club has benefited from sky with hundreds of millions of pounds, part of that money has been invested in better training facilities and recruitment of players we'd never be able to afford. might not suit supporters with fixture changes but the club benefits greatly from it.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2018, 10:49:24 PM »
Get sets of 3 fans to hold double sided signs with W H Y and S K Y.

Start a hashtag SKYWHY as a protest?

Not sure really, just throwing ideas. The best bet is to delay the game in some way. Throwing things may land the club in trouble though.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2018, 09:20:15 AM »
You're all making the incorrect assumption that Sky give a damn about our opinions.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2018, 09:30:42 AM »
Don't forget the role of the premier league and EFL in all of this. They've continually been happy to have more and more games being shown resulting in more and more money flooding into their coffers.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
Outrageous! How I hate Sky, and I really do mean ‘hate’. Another day out ruined. I am convinced that what is needed is some organisation of real fans to sabotage the Sky broadcasts, it would be so satisfying to actually stop them showing some matches. What would be done if some large banners were on display behind the goals with slogans telling Sky where to get off?
And many of the people you know would see them from their armchair
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »
Atmosphere was brilliant last night with the brilliant pre kick off tributes leading into a real edgy vibe form the start.
The old place was rocking in all four stands at times.

Interesting to see, for those that watched on tv, how you felt it came over in the box ?
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2018, 10:29:36 AM »
I missed yesterdays game thanks to Sky. I could have made a 3.00pm kick off, but a family arrangement meant I could not do the later kick off.

Thanks Sky.....for nothing.
MAGA!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2018, 01:15:52 PM »
You're all making the incorrect assumption that Sky give a damn about our opinions.

I don't think anyone's stupid enough to assume that Sky give a stuff about our opinions.

It's still OK to have them though.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2018, 01:34:55 PM »
1. Great chance to let our feelings known to Sky, if they mute us it means they can hear us.

2. If it's reported by other outlets (and it will be) we raise awareness of our feelings to those outside of the fixture, encouraging others to voice their frustrations when it's their turn to be messed about.

3. It'll make me feel a bit better ahead of the Sheffield Utd fixture where I would again voice my lack of appreciation for their continued intrusion into my social life and extra expense on my late return (taxi).

4. I want to.

5. Why not?

1. Yes they can hear it but it achieves nothing, SKY aren't going to rethink  their plans just because some fans decide to sing about it.

2. Is it reported by other outlets? If so, so what, it still won't achieve anything. SKY pretty much own football & unfortunately the clubs get too much money from the TV deals to tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

3. Can't argue with your own feelings.

4. Same as above.

5. It achieves nothing and just demonstrates how impotent fans are. Clubs aren't going to turn down TV money no matter how much we as fans hate being messed around.

I'd be happy to back a campaign that asked SKY to rethink when it decides what games to show. I have said many times on here that I think Sky should pick games from Aug to December in July and then announce the Jan to May games in November. I think that would be fairer to fans as it would allow booking time of work in advance, allow fans to get the cheapest train tickets (as they tend to be released every 12 weeks).

At the end of the day SKY don't give a **** about fans it's not important to them to have fans attending games they'd much rather we all watched them at home or in the pub through a subscription.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:36:30 PM by Hull Baggie »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »
1. Yes they can hear it but it achieves nothing, SKY aren't going to rethink  their plans just because some fans decide to sing about it.

2. Is it reported by other outlets? If so, so what, it still won't achieve anything. SKY pretty much own football & unfortunately the clubs get too much money from the TV deals to tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

3. Can't argue with your own feelings.

4. Same as above.

5. It achieves nothing and just demonstrates how impotent football are. Clubs aren't going to turn down TV money no matter how much we as fans hate being messed around.

I'd be happy to back a campaign that asked SKY to rethink when it decides what games to show. I have said many times on here that I think Sky should pick games from Aug to December in July and then announce the Jan to May games in November. I think that would be fairer to fans as it would allow booking time of work in advance, allow fans to get the cheapest train tickets (as they tend to be released every 12 weeks).

At the end of the day SKY don't give a **** about fans it's not important to them to have fans attending games they'd much rather we all watched them at home or in the pub through a subscription.

Agreed

Sky don't give a toss about me, you or anyone else and I give even less of a toss for them.

If I want to slag them off I will, just as I did yesterday and will continue to do in future.

And if all it achieves is for me to relieve some tension then so be it.

naughty word 'em, bunch of w@nkers  ;) .

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2018, 03:01:39 PM »
If everybody who was a season ticket holder at a league club cancelled their Sky, it might make a dent. But unfortunately there is always another plastic Manc or Scouser to take their place. Somebody who laughs at people who actually go to games, and wouldn't go to the ground except for a stadium tour.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2018, 08:00:43 AM »
Agreed

Sky don't give a toss about me, you or anyone else and I give even less of a toss for them.

If I want to slag them off I will, just as I did yesterday and will continue to do in future.

And if all it achieves is for me to relieve some tension then so be it.

naughty word 'em, bunch of w@nkers  ;) .

I totally agree with your stance, it just depends why the Leeds fans are doing it. If they are doing it as they think some kind of protest will make SKY think again then they are sadly misguided, If , like you, they are doing it to just demonstrate their dislike of SKY then fair play and more power to their collective elbow.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2018, 09:03:25 AM »
Like i've said before it's too late now the hos has bolted but i wonder how many clubs are still going today because of the money they get from sky.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2018, 11:20:32 AM »
Alex Ferguson once warned about this (2011), saying, i

"When you shake hands with the devil you have to pay the price. Television is God at the moment," said Ferguson, who agreed that broadcasters had "too much power". "It shows itself quite clearly because when you see the fixture lists come out now, they can pick and choose whenever they want the top teams on television," he added

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2018, 01:43:17 PM »
Like i've said before it's too late now the hos has bolted but i wonder how many clubs are still going today because of the money they get from sky.

Very true in so far as the game required a cash injection, but as you say it's gone too far the other way now. In contrast to those who've done very well out of things, how many have ended up in the brown stuff by over extending themselves over the lust and thirst for cash dangled just beyond their greedy snouts?

How many of those clubs which are still going today on the back of said cash have gone on to incur hyper inflated costs due to increased wage demands? Chicken and egg. How many of them would have been better off being more imaginatively run thus making the most of the influx of such cash? We'll never know. And how much in real terms do the other 72 teams out of the top flight receive anyway?

I think most of us on here are old enough to remember the largely dire conditions of many stadiums pre the Taylor Report. But that was all we'd ever known. I also think most of us know those initial stadium redevelopments were largely funded on the back of government improvement grants as opposed to direct finance via Sky. Yes monies are also now available for those further down the food chain and we can imagine where much of this has come from.......... (Sky et.al)

https://www.footballfoundation.org.uk/funding-schemes/premier-league-the-fa-facilities-fund/

......... but those monies given through gritted teeth and redirected by the Prem' and the FA are a drop in the ocean compared to the funds generated by the game as a whole. Even given our good fortune of being in and around the top flight for the last fifteen years, we're light years behind what others receive.

Sky dangled the cash and the clubs and authorities were blinded by greed as were players and agents wherever they could/can get away with it; what comes in more or less immediately goes out. Fergie wasn't quite there when suggesting who suffers most when the piper calls the tune. It's not the authorities nor generally is it the clubs who are/were happy to bend over, it's the supporters who often find ourselves being bent over backwards while paying extra for transport and travel times etc for the privilege.

We have a choice as did the clubs and there's an argument to suggest we are in part culpable for still turning up. But to question a supporter's wish to attend a game is to question the point of the game in general. The game was supposed to be there for us, now we are there at the behest of the game and the TV companies.

I go home and away but have been questioning my motives and justifications for some time now. But if things continue as they are there will be a time when I just say enough is enough and find something else to do with my time. Will Sky, BT, possibly Amazon etc give a stuff if I walk away? Of course not no. They don't know me and if they did they'd probably look forward to another potential paying customer.

Would the clubs care beyond the opening of my wallet and online debit payments? Probably not. Yet it's interesting to note clubs finally acknowledging inconvenience to supporters as more of us voice our frustrations. Is it lip service? Most likely, but it makes a change from hearing managers whine (rightly) about fixture turn around rather than focusing on poor substitutions and tactical decisions  ;) .

Anyway, COYB and SOTV  8) .
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:46:23 PM by SmethDan »

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2018, 02:37:39 PM »
Don't have sky.  Watch it in pub occasionally I suppose, but I seem to be in minority.  I find it all a bit bizarre.

No doubt that Sky's money has had some impact on the game as a whole, but the % in trickle down is meagre and it could be argued that a lot of clubs would have developed their infrastructure and grounds organically anyway with the change in regulations, government grants and improved building technology.   

Seems to me that most of the sky money just goes straight into the pockets of agents and players (and occasionally directors :))).  Has the standard of play improved throughout the leagues? Maybe a little but again it could be argued that this would have happened anyway with the improvement in pitches throughout the year, sports science and introduction of academies.   As far as I'm concerned the pool of player talent is generally the same as ever before once you get past the top top teams who are able to cherry pick from the very best in a world market (well they can complete for the players that Barcelona and Real don't want anyway) but the salaries and fees have gone up exponentially.   Surely, just because a player is now paid four times what he might have been 5 years ago does not mean he is four times the better player, although Sky would like you to believe otherwise with its "Best League in the world spiel" as propagated by the written press and fawned over by TV and radio commentators.

If Sky went bust tomorrow football would go on.   Most clubs without Saudi benefactors would have to stop paying exorbitant fees and wages to over rated players and the gap between big and small, premier and EFL would shrink overnight.  Would we lose a lot of talent? Some but most footballers would still make a very , very decent living (rather than earning the mind blowing amounts currently on offer compared to the average wage) and our academies are producing talent that I would be happy to watch.  Without the visibility and hype Sky gives the Premier League more people might take an interest in their local club and attendances might again be a dominating factor in spend.   

I don't have Sky and wouldn't miss the corporations involvement in the game.   Scudamore's £5 million pound farewell tells you everything about the game that relies on the fans emotional involvement to generate its revenue and them treats them with disdain.   But the fact of the matter is that the clubs CAN give Scudamore £5 million without blinking and that money must be coming from somewhere.....guess a lot of people do give a sh*t about sky and would miss the blanket coverage and tsunami of hyperbole that the Premiership provides.   

Maybe I should trial it for a month and see if I am sucked in?  Don't knock it until you try it I guess.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 02:48:40 PM by Oldbury24 »

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
playing devil's advocate, couldn't sky claim that the world wide demand to watch premier league & football in general is down to their marketing skills without which the the demand to invest in the inner structure of football clubs may not at the level it is at now.  :-\