Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 284745 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)
« Reply #1225 on: September 10, 2020, 05:42:11 PM »

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1226 on: September 10, 2020, 05:59:26 PM »
Behind the scenes. Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEMdoqGeO-w
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1227 on: September 10, 2020, 06:03:49 PM »
Local Sheffield paper saying we did the swop and paid nearly. 3m on top but that's contrary to everyone else.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/real-reason-why-sheffield-united-traded-callum-robinson-oliver-burke-and-what-they-have-got-out-deal-2967777

Corresponds with what we all thought, and more importantly what Wilder said.

Still a good deal at 3.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1228 on: September 10, 2020, 06:07:22 PM »
Corresponds with what we all thought, and more importantly what Wilder said.

Still a good deal at 3.

That values Burke at what, somewhere between £2-4m? Personally I’d much rather have sold Burke and had £5m to spend elsewhere. It may not have been an option I guess but I don’t think I’d call it a good deal necessarily either. It’s ‘ok’ in the circumstances.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Oliver Burke
« Reply #1229 on: September 10, 2020, 09:32:29 PM »
Absolutely the worst signing we’ve made I think for the money we paid for him, cheers Pulis. Watch Wilder make a player of him & Sheff United make a fortune on him in 3 years time.
If wilder does ....wouldn’t you question 3/4 coaches that he has had here ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1230 on: September 10, 2020, 09:38:06 PM »

One wonders what attracted Pulis to Burke in the first place.  Hmmm....  was it about the time he lost his bonus from Palace costing him a lot of money?

🤑

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1231 on: September 10, 2020, 10:04:36 PM »
Behind the scenes. Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEMdoqGeO-w

Did miss the paper?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 02:03:04 AM by BalisPen »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1232 on: September 10, 2020, 10:30:34 PM »
£3m is probably a bit more than i'd have liked to have paid on top of Burke really, especially as we paid £15m for him, but it isn't awful. With a swap deal, it's hard to work out what each player would be valied at. I wouldn't have wanted to pay more than £5-£6m for Robinson given Sheff Utd paid £7m and he failed there, so that would make Burke worth about £3m. Probably right overall.
Boing Boing

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1233 on: September 10, 2020, 10:39:21 PM »

Mmm difficult one as I think Wilder’s probably the 2/3rd best manager in England at the moment just behind Klopp & on the same level as Nuno (I’d put him above Guardiola with what he achieved last season). Let’s be honest though Slav’s not a bad manager and look what he’s done with attacking players like Payet, Pereira, Diangana etc. after a few weeks pre-season last year he saw enough to send him out on loan last year and then sell him this season so he clearly didn’t think much of him. If Burke does nothing at Sheff United it’s hard to see where he goes from there not having done a thing under Bilić & Wilder.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1234 on: September 11, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »
Mmm difficult one as I think Wilder’s probably the 2/3rd best manager in England at the moment just behind Klopp & on the same level as Nuno (I’d put him above Guardiola with what he achieved last season). Let’s be honest though Slav’s not a bad manager and look what he’s done with attacking players like Payet, Pereira, Diangana etc. after a few weeks pre-season last year he saw enough to send him out on loan last year and then sell him this season so he clearly didn’t think much of him. If Burke does nothing at Sheff United it’s hard to see where he goes from there not having done a thing under Bilić & Wilder.

Blimey, what’s with the Wilder love in on here? They finished ninth last season, we finished above that under Clarke.

Out of interest where would you rate Sean Dyche?

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1235 on: September 11, 2020, 10:06:37 AM »
Wilder has done well, and a blinding first prem season.

It will be interesting to see how they fair this year but the purchasing of players like Burke wont help second season syndrome one bit.

For me they could be top 10 or bottom 3 i just don't know with them. There are a lot of teams, us included who could struggle this year.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1236 on: September 11, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »
Wilder has done well, and a blinding first prem season.

It will be interesting to see how they fair this year but the purchasing of players like Burke wont help second season syndrome one bit.

For me they could be top 10 or bottom 3 i just don't know with them. There are a lot of teams, us included who could struggle this year.
Read an article on the Athletic yesterday (they are doing £1 / month for 12 months if anyone interested) about Ravel Morrison who Wilder took on, in the hope of being able to unlock his latent talent, so he has form for taking risks on troubled players. Needless to say, it didn't work out but he clearly hasn't been put off.

Great article by the way.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: Oliver Burke
« Reply #1237 on: September 11, 2020, 10:52:53 AM »

Wilder's CFs don't seem to need goal scoring ability as a key skill (Mgoldrick, McBurnie) so the instruction to Burke as sub will be to get up top and "run about a lot fast" if by doing that he creates nuisance value for others to take chances, and then nicks a couple then job done.   Won't make him a better player, just finding a limited role he can do to suit his ability.

From the limited minutes I've seen of Burke I'd take this deal all day long, you couldn't get two more different players and personalities.    Robinson is a good fit.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:54:25 AM by Oldbury24 »

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1238 on: October 24, 2020, 09:32:43 PM »

Reported to be playing well for The Blades at Liverpool.  Came on as suv second half.

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1239 on: October 24, 2020, 09:54:53 PM »
“ And there's a chance, right at the end! Oli McBurnie wins yet another header, it runs through to Ollie Burke who shoots from 20 yards, but scopps it over the top. Tough to beat Alisson from there but he should have done better really.”

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1240 on: October 24, 2020, 10:08:17 PM »
“ And there's a chance, right at the end! Oli McBurnie wins yet another header, it runs through to Ollie Burke who shoots from 20 yards, but scopps it over the top. Tough to beat Alisson from there but he should have done better really.”

Was harder than it looked (defender right in front of him when the side view looked like it as a clear sight of goal), still skewed it quite badly trying to curl one into the top bins.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1241 on: October 24, 2020, 10:10:52 PM »
Looked better than he ever did for us.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1242 on: October 24, 2020, 10:11:54 PM »
Looked better than he ever did for us.

Yes. He's clearly (if anything) going to be a centre forward in a two in a direct style of play.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1243 on: October 24, 2020, 10:27:42 PM »
Yes. He's clearly (if anything) going to be a centre forward in a two in a direct style of play.
Pace is clearly his one big asset. The question is, will he have the control, oversight and composure to do something with the ball. Or even (as I witnessed once), will he remember to take the ball with him.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1244 on: October 24, 2020, 11:35:35 PM »
Still rubbish I feel. That shot near the end, albeit only a half chance, was miles off and summed him up well.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1245 on: October 26, 2020, 10:26:58 AM »
Early days and you can't read too much into this but in three league starts (two completed 90 mins) and one substitute appearance, Sheff U haven't managed a goal yet while he's been on the pitch!

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1246 on: October 26, 2020, 09:13:49 PM »
Let’s hope they play him all season then!