Author Topic: New rule regarding interviews for BAME managers  (Read 11095 times)

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

Re: New rule regarding interviews for BAME managers
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2019, 12:51:55 PM »

Sacking Moore was not racist so the 2 have no correlation.

To answer your question the club will be sanctioned. Presumably it will be a financial penalty in the first instance.

You see, this is part of my problem with it. Let's say we're looking at the England job, and the likes of Eddie Howe, Jose Mourinho, and Rafa Benitez apply, but the best BAME coach to apply is Sol Campbell. Now I'm not knocking what Campbell achieved last year, but it was in Division 4; it doesn't qualify you for the England job. Would they still get penalised?

(BTW, I know the rule might not apply to the international team, I'm just using them as an example rather than pick on a specific club)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor is on record claiming there is ‘hidden racism’ within the game, which remains an alarming comment from the head of the players’ union.

The first stated goal in the game’s Inclusion and Anti-Discrimination paper is to widen football’s talent pool, targeting an increase in the number of BAME candidates.

Without it, we will never change the face of English football.

Action is required in this issue, I’ve seen a lot of posts here questioning this initiative, but nothing of note that could be put forward to resolving the issue.

I have no solution or magic wand, but I am prepared to support Affirmative Action as it has had positive effects in America
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2019, 02:46:04 PM »
PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor is on record claiming there is ‘hidden racism’ within the game, which remains an alarming comment from the head of the players’ union.

The first stated goal in the game’s Inclusion and Anti-Discrimination paper is to widen football’s talent pool, targeting an increase in the number of BAME candidates.

Without it, we will never change the face of English football.

Action is required in this issue, I’ve seen a lot of posts here questioning this initiative, but nothing of note that could be put forward to resolving the issue.

I have no solution or magic wand, but I am prepared to support Affirmative Action as it has had positive effects in America
Because there isn’t one that wouldn’t breach the Equality and Diversity Act 2010, including the ruling the EFL have already put out. If I was a struggling coach and white, I’d lawyer up and get a huge payday out the EFL for breaking the law here, they have no defence as they are forcing clubs to take candidates to interview on racial grounds.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2019, 02:58:20 PM »
Because there isn’t one that wouldn’t breach the Equality and Diversity Act 2010, including the ruling the EFL have already put out. If I was a struggling coach and white, I’d lawyer up and get a huge payday out the EFL for breaking the law here, they have no defence as they are forcing clubs to take candidates to interview on racial grounds.

It's just called the Equality Act 2010. Some jobs are allowed to be gender/sex specific which on the face of it would go against this act as gender/sex are amongst the protected characteristics that the act applies to, so I see no issue with having to have a BAME person interviewed.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2019, 04:22:55 PM »

You'd end up with egg on your face, not a huge payday.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2019, 08:59:42 PM »
It's a very odd scenario. I'm not sure how many on here are or have been involved in coaching, but I've coached a few grassroots teams and school teams over the years. And while there are plenty of black players (yet very few Asian), I haven't worked with any BAME coaches (even when I had trials as a teen). Other clubs may have had, I suppose sometimes it depends on area, but I've just not seen any interest in BAME coaches getting involved. Not one. Yet every club I've worked with has been crying out for volunteers, so it's not like anyone would be turned down.

This is also true of the coaching courses I've been on. 20+ guys in the room, all white.

For me, the EFL have only brought this rule in as it's a hot topic, they're not actually interested in getting more BAME coaches into jobs.

If you want inside info as to what's actually going on behind the scenes at the FA etc, just speak to a qualified lead coach and they'll tell you all the ins and outs and that how a lot of what's put into the media is just for publicity purposes.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2019, 10:19:49 PM »
It's a very odd scenario. I'm not sure how many on here are or have been involved in coaching, but I've coached a few grassroots teams and school teams over the years. And while there are plenty of black players (yet very few Asian), I haven't worked with any BAME coaches (even when I had trials as a teen). Other clubs may have had, I suppose sometimes it depends on area, but I've just not seen any interest in BAME coaches getting involved. Not one. Yet every club I've worked with has been crying out for volunteers, so it's not like anyone would be turned down.

This is also true of the coaching courses I've been on. 20+ guys in the room, all white.

For me, the EFL have only brought this rule in as it's a hot topic, they're not actually interested in getting more BAME coaches into jobs.

If you want inside info as to what's actually going on behind the scenes at the FA etc, just speak to a qualified lead coach and they'll tell you all the ins and outs and that how a lot of what's put into the media is just for publicity purposes.

Absolutely spot on in every respect. As I attempted to touch on earlier in this thread, if black guys for whatever reason aren't bothering to get the necessary qualifications to enable a career in coaching and management then it isn't anyone's fault other than their own as to why they aren't getting any opportunities. This also explains why the ratio is much fewer in terms of black coaches/managers as opposed to black players. To pursue a career in management and coaching, you need something more about you than 'just being good at football', which was obviously enough to get by as a player. Nobody should ever be engineering these social situations in the name of diversity and politically correctness. It will end up backfiring before long when more and more people eventually open their eyes to all this nonsense and subconscious PC brainwashing.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2019, 08:08:38 AM »
I think it’s a convenient argument to suggest BAME don’t pursue qualifications so it’s their own fault for not getting Manager / Head Coaches jobs. But the more pertinent and sometimes the hardest question is to ask why that is?

In all my years of reading the football pages in newspapers, I can’t recall having ever seen an advert for UEFA Coaching Badge courses. So, are the FA marketing these courses correctly,  are they targeting the right groups?

Below are paragraphs written by Dr Steven Bradbury who is a Lecturer at the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, Loughborough University, UK. His main areas of research interest are focused around issues of sport, diversity, and social justice.

Dr Bradbury found that whilst recent interventions, such as the FA BAME bursary programme, have had some positive impacts in supporting BAME coaches to achieve elite level coaching qualifications, there remain some blockages in the system.

This is especially the case in the transition from education to employment, where many professional clubs continue to operate a series of ‘racially closed’ networks – rather than qualifications-based criteria for coach recruitment.

The link below is to the “Sports People Think Tank” a team of ex-professional athletes that have been monitoring the BAME issue in football. The team includes our own Darren Moore and Jason Roberts.

The site compares the last four years of BAME at the varies levels of coaching in professional football.

http://thesptt.com/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.