Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2550250 times)

The Gaffer

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #375 on: October 12, 2013, 12:11:40 PM »
Saido is a class act you can see it a mile off, he will be a top, top, striker.

Comparisons with Cunningham are stupid though, different types of player completely. Cunningham much more skillful and explosive, Berahinho much more of a finisher. Berahino WILL be a star at an elite club.

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #376 on: October 12, 2013, 12:16:19 PM »
Saido is a class act you can see it a mile off, he will be a top, top, striker.

Comparisons with Cunningham are stupid though, different types of player completely. Cunningham much more skillful and explosive, Berahinho much more of a finisher. Berahino WILL be a star at an elite club.

Both have played as striker and winger. Both lean and quick. There are differences of course but comparisons are hardly "stupid "

The Gaffer

« Reply #377 on: October 12, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »

Both have played as striker and winger. Both lean and quick. There are differences of course but comparisons are hardly "stupid "

If you look at Laurie's goalscoring record it is nothing compared to what Saido's will be. Saido is like a young Michael Owen his technique and sharpness in front of goal is exceptional. He won't dribble past players or look "brilliant" like Cunningham did but he has the end product, it's not manufactured it's natural.

"stupid" may be slightly strong but I don't think comparisons are fair.

Bob

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #378 on: October 13, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
Some of the comments on here are absolutely stupid. Im as excited about him as most Albion fans but he's done very little at the moment and still has a lot to prove to even keep in the squad when all of our players are fully fit.

Luckily he seems more level headed than a few of our fans.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #379 on: October 14, 2013, 08:25:53 AM »
You can tell there is no Premier League football being played at the moment cant you.  ::)

Supposed journalists/bloggers/hacks have nothing actually to write about so just keep rehashing, with minor variations, the same thing as all the others.

Nothing written so far has any more true in it than that "he is a talent" and the "Big" clubs like to over fill their rosters with "talents"

So yes, they may like what they see but actually it is doubtful they will even try.
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #380 on: October 14, 2013, 08:55:03 AM »
I like the lad and think he will do very well for himself but the hype over players on the back of one or two good performances is ridiculous: Saido, Townsend, Januzaj have all had stories about how they are deserving of huge pay hikes. No wonder there's players on silly wages in this league. Townsend is on 10k and had a very good England debut but suggestions he would quadruple his wages as a result is appalling. I fear that a few younger players could have their heads turned by clubs with money who won't play them because they believe their own hype.

I like Saido and I know he talks about how little money etc mean to him and I hope that lasts. He deserves more than £850 a week though.

ranj

« Reply #381 on: October 14, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »
Townsend has been performing all season for spurs and had a pretty good run with QPR last year, at the moment he is keeping out Lamela who they paid £30 mil for, I very much doubt they would increase his wage based solely on an England performance and to quadruple his wage would still have him on less than most players that are starting for a team challenging for the title. Saido`s contract is up in the summer although we have one year extension at the clubs discretion, with the likes of Arsenal circling I think its a good idea we sign him up on a longer term contract as soon as possible, is it not the same as us wanting to sign up Amalfitano on a permanent after his brief showings for the Baggies? As for Januzaj i`m sure Moyes would not want to lose the best talent to come out of Utds academy for a long while especially with him not been able to sign anyone of note and players unsure of Utd`s credentials after Fergie.

I don`t think these decisions are based just on one or two performances but training, bedding with the team and how they conduct themselves etc.

As far as Saido goes there are a few baggies players who are applauding the change in his attitude and his new found desire to fulfill his potential as mentioned he deserves more than £850 and because it coincides with the ending of his current contract i`m sure he will get atleast 10x more.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #382 on: October 14, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »
I think a lot of Baggies fans, and most sensible fans of other clubs, know a future star when they see one! All my mates support other teams but they're all raving about Saido. It'd be criminal to let him go now, he WILL be a sensational player for years to come. Just a thought on the concern of most ordinary Albion supporters....note the colossal amount of 'views' on any threads about Saido. A lot of us are worried!

Bob

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #383 on: October 14, 2013, 02:05:26 PM »
Its probably fairly safe to say that, baring injury, Lukaku will be a "sensational player" for years to come. Far to early to say anything like that about Berahino

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #384 on: October 14, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »
Its probably fairly safe to say that, baring injury, Lukaku will be a "sensational player" for years to come. Far to early to say anything like that about Berahino

Cracking point. Althoguh Saido looks ok, he will never be the 'world class' player some are making out.

Could be an excellent player for us, but Saido has a lot to do to live up to somebody such as Jermain Defoe, let alone Michael Owen & other greats of the modern game.

Baggies54

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #385 on: October 14, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »
I always thought that Saido would have been better employed staying at West Brom rather than going on loan to Peterborough, training and working with the first team squad at baggies would have perhaps toughened him up a bit.( he might even have had a couple of games at back end).

He looks an exciting prospect but he is a little bit light on the ball and gets it taken off him a tad too easy, his percentage of completed passes needs to be stepped up a bit (imho).

It is nice to have a decent player coming from the academy, both he and Izzy and who knows which one will come through next, Adil Nabi and Kemar Roofe seem to play with some consistancy....futures bright in blue and white stripes (or is that white and blue).
"Scientific criticism has no nobler task than to shatter false beliefs".......

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #386 on: October 14, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
Cracking point. Althoguh Saido looks ok, he will never be the 'world class' player some are making out.

Could be an excellent player for us, but Saido has a lot to do to live up to somebody such as Jermain Defoe, let alone Michael Owen & other greats of the modern game.

Never be world class? How do you know?

Modern day great Michael Owen? Not high on my list- maybe had he not been injured all the time he would have been but I doubt when asked for a great of the modern game Owen would fly from their lips.

Back to Saido, he has the potential to be great, lets see if he can fulfil that (at least in part) with the Albion.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #387 on: October 14, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »
Never be world class? How do you know?

Modern day great Michael Owen? Not high on my list- maybe had he not been injured all the time he would have been but I doubt when asked for a great of the modern game Owen would fly from their lips.

Back to Saido, he has the potential to be great, lets see if he can fulfil that (at least in part) with the Albion.

Not going to get into much of a debate regarding this, but at 18 Michael Owen was the hottest property in the world.

World Cup 98 for example. Berahino has a lot to do to get to this stage.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #388 on: October 14, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »

Don't know how you can make these calls so early on. The lad shows outstanding promise, you can see it a MILE off. And I think this year he is going to pull all of your trousers down. (so to speak)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #389 on: October 15, 2013, 09:03:59 AM »

Don't know how you can make these calls so early on. The lad shows outstanding promise, you can see it a MILE off. And I think this year he is going to pull all of your trousers down. (so to speak)

I hope he does. As an Albion fan id like nothing more!!

Im just taking a step back & making a judgement from there. Lets not get sucked in to the typical English way of hyping up younger players too soon.

Give him time to settle, give him time to improve. Lets not slate him when things go poorly.

Sterling, Carroll, Oxlade-Chamberlain are just some of the 'next big things' we've had in this country over recent seasons. Long term form proves they are nothing more than fairly good footballers!

But heres hoping Saido can be our superstar, but dont forget to be patient! Lets wait to see if he can perform regularly for 12months or so as a minimum before we hail every move!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #390 on: October 15, 2013, 09:17:22 AM »
From the his twitter account sounds that he will be in the U21 side tonight will be interesting to see how he gets on.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

The Gaffer

« Reply #391 on: October 15, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »
Berahino is a star of the future you wait and see. As a "goalscorer" he's just got it. Yes it's putting pressure on him but class acts handle pressure and this boy will.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #392 on: October 15, 2013, 01:36:53 PM »
regardless of all of this we should get him on a longer contract.

1)rewards progress
2) if sugar daddys come along it has to be with stupid offer
O Albion we love you

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #393 on: October 15, 2013, 06:06:11 PM »
He's just scored for the under 21-s within the opening couple of minutes.

I'm relying on Twitter but there are apparently some doubts about whether the goal is actually his.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #394 on: October 15, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
He's just scored for the under 21-s within the opening couple of minutes.

I'm relying on Twitter but there are apparently some doubts about whether the goal is actually his.
It's Ravel Morrison's, Saido didn't get a touch but was enough to trick the keeper who fumbled it in the wrong side of the post. He's struggling on his own up front, cant turn his man and is struggling to make space between the lines for Morrison to exploit, the one time he has was the goal. Ince isn't doing anything for me, but Zaha 's got that left wing down.

Lithuania are playing VERY defensively (as you may expect) and are limiting our chances and forcing us to play sideways, their tactics are working quite well despite the scoreline.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #395 on: October 15, 2013, 07:24:05 PM »
Berahino again...top class..now **** off Arsenal and any others he is ours !!!!@!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #396 on: October 15, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »
He's just scored a wonderful goal, no doubts about this one.

A terrific finish. Opens his body up and from an acute angle bends it around the keeper into the corner.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #397 on: October 15, 2013, 07:36:07 PM »
Just scored his second goal of the night - a penalty sending the keeper the wrong way.

He's now been substituted.

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #398 on: October 15, 2013, 07:42:35 PM »
I just hope we can keep him, I will be heartbroken if we lose another youngster.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #399 on: October 15, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »
Got to start next match. This boy is flying. #goalmachine