Author Topic: Dingle watch - Anything Wolves  (Read 2070006 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Dingle watch - Anything Wolves
« Reply #7075 on: February 17, 2019, 04:26:59 PM »
Lots of Albion fans seem to have an opinion (some might say get annoyed) that some villa fans discount our rivalry yet we have some Albion fans discounting wolves as a ‘proper’ rivalry and it’s nonsense. They are both real rivals.

People often say historically it’s villa, but even that’s can be argued.

80s, 90’s, 00’s - wolves were more relative to us without doubt and that rivalry intensified
60’s 70’s - seems the general consensus is it was villa

Pre 60s it doesn’t seem football rivalry was quite the same, I could be wrong.

Last 10 - shared a division more closely with villa

So historically it seems pretty even. History isn’t just about first, it’s all history.

If you read the history books there was trouble between Albion fans and Villa in the 1880's throwing stuff at stage coaches going to games.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7076 on: February 17, 2019, 04:35:00 PM »
If you read the history books there was trouble between Albion fans and Villa in the 1880's throwing stuff at stage coaches going to games.

I think that was the year after the vile won the Ottoman Empire trophy & never shut up about it until the 1930's
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7077 on: February 17, 2019, 04:35:49 PM »
Lots of Albion fans seem to have an opinion (some might say get annoyed) that some villa fans discount our rivalry yet we have some Albion fans discounting wolves as a ‘proper’ rivalry and it’s nonsense. They are both real rivals.

People often say historically it’s villa, but even that’s can be argued.

80s, 90’s, 00’s - wolves were more relative to us without doubt and that rivalry intensified
60’s 70’s - seems the general consensus is it was villa

Pre 60s it doesn’t seem football rivalry was quite the same, I could be wrong.

Last 10 - shared a division more closely with villa

So historically it seems pretty even. History isn’t just about first, it’s all history.

While I despise the Vile far more I acknowledge others see things differently and sh ite does indeed cometh from darkness. When we play the Dogheads my focus is turned squarely on the psychedelic tangarines, they can't stand the sight of us so it would be rude and very Vileresque not to.

In my opinion it's perfectly fine and acceptable to have no time for either club, as with a few rare exceptions I've found vast swathes of their supporters to be absolute w@nkers and one eyes of the highest order. That'll do it for me regardless of any historical trophy counts and matches won or lost.

Football is cyclical meaning rivalries become more or less intense over time and opportunity. I can't stand the Wolves in the build up to games or on the day itself, more so when we didn't get to play the Vile. For me normal service has been resumed but hopefully next season enables the resumption of another rivalry, while the Vile rot after being declared insolvent and cease to exist.

SOTV and FTW  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #7078 on: February 17, 2019, 04:47:15 PM »
To be fair although the vile top my list I also absolutely detest Reading, every single thing about the place and the club.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7079 on: February 17, 2019, 07:17:01 PM »
To be fair although the vile top my list I also absolutely detest Reading, every single thing about the place and the club.
Is this the right place to ask why?
I have to admit it's not a place I relish visiting but have no idea why
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #7080 on: February 17, 2019, 07:47:35 PM »
Is this the right place to ask why?
I have to admit it's not a place I relish visiting but have no idea why

Just took an instant dislike the first time I went, fans seemed very arrogant for some reason and I just hated it , nothing has changed my mind since, even when i've been for non football stuff, just hate the place.  :D

Jotas_right_foot

• Newcomer

« Reply #7081 on: February 17, 2019, 08:59:28 PM »
Absolute tosh some of you are speaking, none of you can admit we are rivals because we are so far ahead of you and you don’t like to admit it.
When you were head and shoulders above us I hated you with a passion, an absolute passion, the BCD is well known as being one of the biggest derbies around.
There’s rivalry between all Midlands club, I detest blues, absolutely hate them and after last season I really hate Villa too and while they hate us they will both admit that their real derby is blues v villa, and yours is with us.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #7082 on: February 17, 2019, 09:21:25 PM »
Absolute tosh some of you are speaking, none of you can admit we are rivals because we are so far ahead of you and you don’t like to admit it.
When you were head and shoulders above us I hated you with a passion, an absolute passion, the BCD is well known as being one of the biggest derbies around.
There’s rivalry between all Midlands club, I detest blues, absolutely hate them and after last season I really hate Villa too and while they hate us they will both admit that their real derby is blues v villa, and yours is with us.

:D I don't care what you do, you're irrelevant, I never saw a dingle fan at school, no-one cared about you then all of sudden we gave you the saviour and millions appeared. To me you're a local derby which we always want to win and last one we did comfortably.

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7083 on: February 17, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »
You must hate teacher too.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7084 on: February 17, 2019, 10:01:35 PM »

Yes The BCD is important and yes it is big, and I think what makes it is the fact that over the years with some ups and downs in both sides, we are similar sized clubs, and always will be.  However, for me Villa will always be the big one.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7085 on: February 17, 2019, 10:30:32 PM »
Wolves fans are obsessed with Albion. I hate them, but the obsession they have with us is on another level to anything I've seen in other rivalries. When we were in the Prem I couldn't care less about them, genuinely forgot they existed a few times when they were in League 1. Now they're having a bit of relative success it's unreal, I can't even look at Albion-related twitter threads or news articles without dozens of them in the comments. I popped on MolMix in the summer to check what players they were chasing (as I do with lots of clubs, genuine interest) and there were about 4 or 5 Albion-related threads on the first page. Now we've even got one posting on our own forum about how much we should care about them...

I know a lot of them don't have much in their lives' outside of Wolves but for some it's so far past an obsession I feel a bit sorry for them. The best Wolves team in 60 years and they're more concerned with all things Albion. No doubt there's dozens of dingles reading this very post.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:32:39 PM by wba_1996 »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7086 on: February 17, 2019, 11:20:12 PM »
Wolves fans are obsessed with Albion. I hate them, but the obsession they have with us is on another level to anything I've seen in other rivalries...................Now we've even got one posting on our own forum about how much we should care about them

Celtic and Rangers want a word.

Personally speaking I'm glad our new friend came along to give us our collective opinion.

Very considerate as it gives me more time to obsess over the Vile (according to Vilers - yawn).

As previously stated SOTV and FTW  8) .

Jotas_right_foot

• Newcomer

« Reply #7087 on: February 17, 2019, 11:46:58 PM »
Holy pooh the irony...taking the urine about me posting on a wba forum when I’m posting on your own forum at a thread dedicated to Wolves!!!

Seriously though...you’re rivalry with villa will be bigger at the moment because you’re in direct competition with them for promotion, just as it seemed our rivalry with them had gone through the roof last season because again we were in direct competition with them, in reality they were just a bunch of bad losing billy big boots, apparently they won the European cup a hundred years ago or something.

I genuinely hope you sneak promotion, I really do, the BCD is a fantastic game, I savour every minute, apart from the ones when I’m normally dying inside having watched you beat us again lol, come back up, the games wth Leicester just aren’t the same

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7088 on: February 18, 2019, 12:28:48 AM »
Holy rubbish the irony...taking the urine about me posting on a wba forum when I’m posting on your own forum at a thread dedicated to Wolves!!!

Seriously though...you’re rivalry with villa will be bigger at the moment because you’re in direct competition with them for promotion, just as it seemed our rivalry with them had gone through the roof last season because again we were in direct competition with them, in reality they were just a bunch of bad losing billy big boots, apparently they won the European cup a hundred years ago or something.I genuinely hope you sneak promotion, I really do, the BCD is a fantastic game, I savour every minute, apart from the ones when I’m normally dying inside having watched you beat us again lol, come back up, the games wth Leicester just aren’t the same

Just a little insignificent club to me, the vile are a million miles ahead of you, try going on the oatcake, they're your derby.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 12:30:22 AM by dont ask me to choose luv »
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Jotas_right_foot

• Newcomer

« Reply #7089 on: February 18, 2019, 12:36:12 AM »
Yeah of course they are lol, you keep telling yourself that sunshine ☀️

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7090 on: February 18, 2019, 12:59:06 AM »
Yeah of course they are lol, you keep telling yourself that sunshine ☀️

There are a lot of Albion who see Villa as our biggest rivals. There is no doubt however that collectively 'our' derby is the BCD and theirs is the 2nd City derby vs Blues.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7091 on: February 18, 2019, 12:59:37 AM »
1. Holy rubbish the irony...taking the urine about me posting on a wba forum 2. when I’m posting on your own forum at a thread dedicated to Wolves!!!

3. Seriously though...you’re rivalry with villa will be bigger at the moment because you’re in direct competition with them for promotion, just as it seemed our rivalry with them had gone through the roof last season because again we were in direct competition with them, 4. in reality they were just a bunch of bad losing billy big boots, 5. apparently they won the European cup a hundred years ago or something.

6. I genuinely hope you sneak promotion, I really do, 7. the BCD is a fantastic game, I savour every minute, apart from the ones when I’m normally dying inside having watched you beat us again lol, come back up, 8. the games wth Leicester just aren’t the same

1. You noticed? Well done you  ;D .

2. Yes that's correct - our thread on an Albion forum about you lot - not your thread about us lot . #obsessed  ;) .

3. Yes for many of us the traditional rivalry with Villa is much bigger than the one we have with you, others hate the Wolves with an undying passion. Personally speaking I never even knowingly met a Doghead until I was nineteen, much less did I realise just how much you lot hate us. Must be an inferiority complex given you'd have gone bust were it not for Ron Saunders and the Albion supporters who helped yours out with collection buckets in your clubs darkest hours. Sorry if you feel a little left out by those of us who detest the Vile more than we do the Wolves. As stated further above I focus very firmly on your lot when we play you. I'll try to hate Wolves a little more when we play you again though if it makes you feel any better. Whooooh, angry face.

4. You don't have to tell us as we already know and have done for some time.

5. Really? They never mention it, strange really as you'd think they would. You mean they actually won the top trophy in Europe when it was your lot who practically invented the competition after winning a couple of friendlies in the fifties? How very rude of them.

6. You want us to get promotion for one reason and one reason alone, you think you'll slap us all over the place just like many Wolves supporters seemed to think you would when the now departed Sir Jack Hayward was spunking his money down the drain.

7. There have been some great games, there's been some absolute stinkers too though such as the 0-0 at our place when Andy Hunt should have scored from the spot.

8. I feel the same about the Blues, but I'm reliably informed that you hate them too. You may need anger management.

Nice of you to pop over, toodle pip and nighty night  8) .

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7092 on: February 18, 2019, 01:11:14 AM »

There are a lot of Albion who see Villa as our biggest rivals. There is no doubt however that collectively 'our' derby is the BCD and theirs is the 2nd City derby vs Blues.

There's no doubt for you, you don't speak for me though just as I don't speak for you.

FTW and SOTV.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:26:12 AM by SmethDan »

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7093 on: February 18, 2019, 01:16:07 AM »
have I missed something? have wolves won anything?streets ahead of us! your trying to emulate what we've done the last decade.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7094 on: February 18, 2019, 01:46:28 AM »
There's no doubt for you, you don't speak for me though just as I don't speak for you.

FTW and SOTV.

I'm not speaking for you mate. I'm speaking generally,  I'm speaking about perception from outside our fans. I'm talking about Villa Park rarely selling out against us. I'm talking about Vile fans being bothered they lost, but not that they lost to us. We're barely mentioned in any of the pooh posts on VT it's all about their manager etc. This defeat hasn't bothered them anymore than losing to Brentford in midweek did.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7095 on: February 18, 2019, 02:05:42 AM »
Surely the Dogheads local derby is Walsall !

We are about 3 miles from Vile park (as crow flies) but 15? from moulinex

From great barr you can see both Witton park and the shrine, you need a satellite to do same with the shrine and custard bowl

Not a lot to work out really!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7096 on: February 18, 2019, 07:37:51 AM »
One hundred and forty odd years of history says that Villa are our proper rivals. Wolves don't even come close.

The Villa rivalry did die down for a while when they were challenging for leagues and cups while we went into freefall  and Wolves took advantage of that and created a new rivalry.

Now though the old, proper rivalry has intensified again and it's definitely getting back to how it should be.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7097 on: February 18, 2019, 07:54:31 AM »

I’d suggest a lot is in fact a majority
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7098 on: February 18, 2019, 09:16:49 AM »
Again I think a lot goes on your age bracket , I'm late 30's now and growing up it was Wolves for me especially the era they were chucking money about and we played them on a regular basis .
Villa seemed so far off none of the other Midland clubs would get near so I never really got that feeling for them.
Obviously we haven't played Wolves since smacking them about for a few seasons and Villa came back on our Radar , i'll always dislike Wolves but having had my first taste of the arrogance and mentality of Villa after our first promotion I can see why they are number 1 enemy for many Albion fans .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7099 on: February 18, 2019, 10:53:11 AM »
I think it was in his book, “ Thou Shalt Not Pass”, I read that Alister Robertson, whilst playing for the Albion, was never really aware of an rivalry or hatred from Albion fans towards Wolves.

It was only when he was transferred to Wolves, in 1986 that it became apparent to him that Wolves fans hated the Albion.

It was during 1986/87 period that Albion, as well as selling Robertson also sold Steve Bull (1986), Andy Thompson (1986), Robbie Dennison (1987) to Wolves, who were in the old fourth division at the time and it was through these four ex-Albion players that Wolves started their recovery. Our manager at the time was the much maligned Ron Saunders, (Robertson never forgave him for selling him) I had a good conversation with Ron during his tenure and he told me the brief he had been given by our board was to sell players of any value and cut the wage bill. The board did allow him a small kitty for player recruitment, he said to me, and I quote “it’s easier to spend £1m on a player than £40,000, because you know your buying quality at a £1m”. Shortly after he spent £40,000 on a young black player with lightening pace but, at that time, little else, he went on to develop into a good player and goal scorer for us and others, including the Wolves, Don Goodman was his name.

In the 70’s and early 80’s I used to go nearly every other week to the Molineux with a good mate, who was a Wolves fan. I’m not sure if it was the John Ireland Stand or the Jack Harris Stand we were in, but I can’t recall an animosity from their fans towards me, even when we were the visitors there. I would never have done the same with my Villa mates as I’d have been lynched at Villa Park, my dad used to say they were a nasty bunch in his younger days as well, but never mentioned the Wolves in the same vein.

So from my perspective, the Wolves-Albion rivalry really found roots in the mid 80’s, I don’t think Wolves fan could forgive us for providing the nucleus of a team that saw them climb the league tables and they didn’t want to acknowledge that fact.

And for me, as far as rivals go “there can be only one”  (sorry Highlander!) and it’s not the Wolves
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:15:25 AM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.