Author Topic: Yann M'Vila signs short term deal  (Read 7352 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Yann M'Vila signs short term deal
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2024, 11:18:19 AM »
Has he had any minutes for the reserves since he signed?

From the linked article I don't think so. Reads to me like he's been in training and had one 10 v 10 with another 10 v 10 on the horizon.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2024, 09:48:29 AM »
From the linked article I don't think so. Reads to me like he's been in training and had one 10 v 10 with another 10 v 10 on the horizon.
We might see a cameo this week, but only if we're three nil up with 10 mins to go, and I can't see that in either of these away games against relegation scrappers.  Any injuries might force CCs hand though.  I think M'Vila is more about looking for a contract for next year, I wouldn't think we're paying him much right now.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2024, 10:34:50 AM »
We might see a cameo this week, but only if we're three nil up with 10 mins to go, and I can't see that in either of these away games against relegation scrappers.  Any injuries might force CCs hand though.  I think M'Vila is more about looking for a contract for next year, I wouldn't think we're paying him much right now.

Hopefully not!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2024, 10:41:41 AM »

The manager likes to get players fully up to speed on their fitness and their tactical role in the team with full understanding of their team mates before giving them any serious game time. Then consider how well Okay and Mowatt have been performing. Hardly surprising that he is in no rush to throw Yann M'Vila into the team.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2024, 02:43:41 PM »
As long as he completes training ok today he will be part of squad for QPR

boingboing1989

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2024, 05:30:38 PM »
As long as he completes training ok today he will be part of squad for QPR
Hopefully see less disruption to the team shape with him coming on like for like for with Yokuslu.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2024, 09:42:48 AM »
Nice to see him starting to get involved, could be huge going into the playoffs as let's face it, we need a bit more to succeed in the playoffs.
Baggie in Southampton

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2024, 09:54:15 AM »
Quite possibly the most knock-kneed professional football player I can remember seeing.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2024, 12:46:20 PM »
Nice to see him starting to get involved, could be huge going into the playoffs as let's face it, we need a bit more to succeed in the playoffs.

Early days, I know, but I thought he looked really useful when he came on.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2024, 05:36:34 PM »
Quite possibly the most knock-kneed professional football player I can remember seeing.

What does that mean?!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2024, 06:05:38 PM »

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2024, 07:03:22 PM »
I did notice that. Good chance he's never been nutmegged.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2024, 07:21:49 PM »
I've seen quite a few bow-legged footballers  but knocks knees must be a disadvantage.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2024, 07:24:54 PM »
Willie Johnston did okay.
Baggie in Southampton

boingboing1989

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2024, 09:22:07 PM »
I thought that as well, he didn't run like a footballer thats for sure.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2024, 10:43:34 PM »
Got to be Maurice Setters, knocks em bandy!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2024, 07:40:40 AM »
What does that mean?!

Genuinely surprised you've never heard the term knock-kneed. At the end of the day though it doesn't bother me whether a players feet are on back to front so long as they can do a job and know which way to run, can pass and know how to tackle  ;D .

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2024, 08:07:48 AM »
1)  Suppose we could refer to a bow-legged person knock-ankled.

2)  Wasn't there a knock-kneed player in Legge's Eleven?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2024, 09:59:16 PM »
Great vision but poor execution which is to be expected as first start in god knows how long.

Slowly build minutes into him please CC

Albionfan1983

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2024, 10:26:19 AM »
He is doing ok. But if he not going to do anymore then that we shouldn't keep him

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2024, 11:26:52 AM »
i have a feeling he may be added to the coaching team over time.
remember seeing at Huddersfield away he was actually leading some of the shooting drills in the warm up.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #96 on: Yesterday at 04:37:27 PM »
Atrocious today. No extensions please.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #97 on: Yesterday at 04:49:09 PM »
He looks exactly what is, a player at the end of their career who hadn't played for a long, long time.

No idea why we signed him given his situation, though concerning he's apparently the kind of signing Corberan approved of, even after training with the squad. It's oft said, but has he really offered anything someone from the academy like Whitwell wouldn't in the minutes he's played? It's just wasting money we don't have on old players who contribute nothing. We do this time and time again.

I'm not saying we need to have a squad full of academy players, or that they're even good enough either, but at the same time its hard to see how we'd be worse off if some of the academy players had taken the roles the likes of M'Vila, Kelly, Chalobah, and Reach have played since they've been here. Certainly we'd be somewhat better off financially. Equally, its very hard to believe if an academy player put in performances like the aforementioned players they'd ever be seen again.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #98 on: Yesterday at 05:15:05 PM »
We signed him as we needed someone desperately to fill the squad with the injuries we had.

Why he played today I don't know.  M'Vila, Chalobah, Reach - none of them should be near the squad if we're serious about the play offs.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #99 on: Yesterday at 05:22:43 PM »
We signed him as we needed someone desperately to fill the squad with the injuries we had.

Why he played today I don't know.  M'Vila, Chalobah, Reach - none of them should be near the squad if we're serious about the play offs.

He's one of those kind of signings where its difficult to believe we don't have some academy player capable of filling in the minimal minutes required of him. It's the kind of signing we've made repeatedly since relegation and they've all been complete wastes of money.

I'm not saying we have some great academy player waiting to fill in, but M'Vila isn't good enough for this level either, and it shouldn't be a suprise that he's not because he's a 33, nearly 34 year old who hadn't played for a year. Can someone like Whitwell really be THAT much worse? Other teams seem to manage ok with their academies playing these bit part roles without destroying the team, we seem pretty unique in consistently needing to sign the likes of M'Vila to play a few minutes here or there.

This is the list of free transers we've made out of window or deadline day since relegation in 2018: M'Vila, Kelly, Rogic, Pieters, Chalobah, Bryan, Peltier, Mears, Hoolahan, Sako.

How much money did we waste there? Hard to believe that Caleb Taylor, who at minimum is proven as a very good league one centre back, would have been worse than Kelly, or certainly Pieters this season.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:31:01 PM by Dan »