Author Topic: Carlos Corberan  (Read 265564 times)

jeffboy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Carlos Corberan
« Reply #2800 on: May 05, 2024, 04:30:33 PM »
Some were just waiting to put the boot in.

Ignoring the fact that all the teams above us were also faltering after a hard slog of a season.

Southampton had also lost their previous 3 games, just like we had, before beating Leeds yesterday.

No thought given to the likes of Swift who have let us down for months on end and no striker worthy of the name and no money spent, but still deeming our squad one of the best.

It wasn't one of the best.

I would counter both Coventry and Hull had better squads.

We've overachieved to get 5th when our true position was around 8th.

This great squad really isn't that great.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2801 on: May 06, 2024, 02:34:57 PM »

No thought given to the likes of Swift who have let us down for months on end and no striker worthy of the name and no money spent, but still deeming our squad one of the best.

I think its a bit harsh picking on Swift. Some people like players to run around like headless chickens diving into tackles, and Swift is clearly not that type of player. He is slowish but he is one of the best players we have at linking the play with passes which lead to goal chances. He also has a good kicking technique which makes him dangerous from around 15-20 metres out, as well as from penalties. I can understand CC preferring Diangana in his position lately, as Diang's form has been good, but I think Swift still may have a crucial role in the Play-Offs. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2802 on: May 06, 2024, 06:38:43 PM »
I agree with you that Swift makes some good link up play and has a good shot on him. The  problem is that he's in attendance for a decreasingly small part of his time on the pitch. 

Molumby, on the other hand, is 100% and gives legs and bite to the midfield which no other player can do both.  He's one of those "soldiers" that Mowbray (get well soon Tony) used to speak of as essential.   
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2803 on: May 06, 2024, 07:41:33 PM »
Molumby is to Corberans squad what Andy Johnson was to Megson, but Corberan doesnt want to play that way, in my humble
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2804 on: May 11, 2024, 08:34:48 AM »
There's a new John Percy article in the Telegraph this morning about Corberan and our prep for the play offs. Can anybody get access to it behind the pay wall?

bosh

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2805 on: May 11, 2024, 11:02:23 AM »
Corberan revives West Brom without spending a penny

By John Percy · May 11, 2024

West Bromwich Albion fans call him “King Carlos” and, ahead of the Championship play- offs, he remains the club’s greatest weapon in the quest for promotion.
Carlos Corberan is the meticulous tactician who has performed one of the most underrated jobs outside the Premier League this season, during a period of huge turmoil off the field.
When the nominees for the Championship manager of the season were revealed, he was not on a list that included Kieran McKenna ( Ipswich Town), Liam Rosenior ( sacked by Hull City on Tuesday) and Daniel Farke ( Leeds United). Other notable absentees included Danny Rohl (Sheffield Wednesday) and Marti Cifuentes (Queens Park Rangers).
Corberan’s achievements demand closer inspection. His first was navigating Albion through the storm under former owner Guochaun Lai and now towards a bright future with Shilen Patel.
Corberan did not allow the offfield matters to infiltrate the training base and, as the cash ran out, ensured that the players were fully focused on football.
He now has a close relationship with Patel, the new owner who will be at the Hawthorns for the semifinal first leg against Southampton tomorrow.
The pair are already planning for next season, with a Plan A and Plan B under discussion.
To put Corberan’s work into further context, he is one of only two Championship managers not to spend a penny on transfers this season. Indeed, the coach from the Valencian community of Cheste has not bought any players since his appointment in October 2022.
With the parachute payments from relegation in 2021 expiring last summer, Corberan’s options have been restricted.
Some of the high earners from the Premier League have remained on the books, further tightening the purse strings, so Corberan has had to maximise everything from the players available.
While his work in the transfer market has been limited, there have been success stories.
Take winge r Mikey Johnston, for example. Out of the picture at Celtic, he has performed brilliantly since signing on loan in January, with seven goals and one assist.
Corberan first spotted Johnston playing for the Republic of Ireland in a friendly, alongside Albion midfielder Jayson Molumby. He was then flagged to the recruitment team and eventually signed when Brighton decided to end winger Jeremy Sarmiento’s loan deal.
There is no question that West Brom will be perfectly prepared for the semi-final.
A disciple of former Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa, Corberan’s game is based on explosive highintensity and the intention to always outrun the opposition. There is likely to be a message of “good luck” from his mentor.
“Working with him was a privilege and the experience helped me develop as a coach,” Corberan says. “Before I worked with him, I thought I was ready to be a head coach, but I learnt amazing things, in every area. The fact I can keep this relationship now is a privilege.”
Corberan’s methods demand total engagement from his players. Training sessions are long and detailed.
Meetings are very frequent. Before matches, every player is called into Corberan’s office for an individual 15-minute briefing.
WBA v Southampton
Tomorrow 2.15pm, Sky Sp
Telegraph Sport was fortunate to witness Corberan and his coaching staff up close during a training session in November, and it was absorbing to watch.
It is clear that this famous old club have got under his skin. Before that training session, he made it clear he did not want the article to read like a CV piece as an advert to other clubs.
He lives in Birmingham’s city centre and there was recently a new addition to the family in son Dario.
Now, after a tough 46-game season, comes the pressure of the playoffs. Corberan does have past experience with Huddersfield Town, and those memories will not be fond ones. After guiding the team to a Wembley final in 2022, they lost against Nottingham Forest in a game littered with controversial VAR decisions.
West Brom have lost both league games against Russell Martin’s Southampton this season, with the 2-1 defeat at St Mary’s on Nov 11 a particular frustration.
Yet, with Corberan around, there is always hope. West Brom fans will hope to hail their king a f t e r the final on May 26.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2806 on: May 11, 2024, 11:52:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Great article. We are lucky to have this guy, regardless of what happens in the next 7 days

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2807 on: May 11, 2024, 01:00:01 PM »
"Corberan’s game is based on explosive high intensity and the intention to always outrun the opposition."

Really? Does Percy believe that?

For me Corberan's game is about being flexible and adapting to the strengths and weaknesses of the opponent, rather than relying on a specific style of play. We can press, we can sit deep, we can dominate possession. But I wouldn't say we outrun teams.in the way Bielsa's teams do. I'd put Corberan stylistically closer to Guardiola than Bielsa - it's much more positional and we don't tend to.go for a man to man approach when pressing
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2808 on: May 11, 2024, 01:04:00 PM »
Good point.
I think Corberan works with what he's got.  His Huddersfield side were high intensity but he may just have noticed that what he had to work with at the Hawthorns wasn't cut out for it.

I'm trying to visualise a high intensity Swift and not succeeding.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2809 on: May 11, 2024, 01:47:34 PM »
Not sure what games Percy has seen based on "explosive high intensity"

I'd say CC works on shape and organisation etc rather than intense running.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2810 on: May 11, 2024, 01:49:19 PM »
Good point.
I think Corberan works with what he's got.  His Huddersfield side were high intensity but he may just have noticed that what he had to work with at the Hawthorns wasn't cut out for it.

I'm trying to visualise a high intensity Swift and not succeeding.
Med me loff. Swift in name only.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2811 on: May 11, 2024, 02:09:41 PM »
I do think out of the 4 teams left in the playoffs our squad is the weakest of the 4 but we have the best manager.

I am excited to see what team we can put out under Carlos next season given the massive number of out of contract players we’l have plus the ability to be able to prudently spend abit of cash (although this will be really limited by FFP)

I do have a funny feeling one of the smarter run clubs abroad who flirt with Europe (a Real Sociadad, Frankfurt etc) are going to take a flyer on Carlos soon and the lure will be too great for him to turn down, I’ll be gutted when he does leave.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2812 on: May 11, 2024, 03:45:38 PM »
So Carlos pointed Piercy in the direction of Mikey Johnston? Well I never....... you could have knocked me down with a feather when I read that.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2813 on: May 11, 2024, 11:36:17 PM »
Corberan revives West Brom without spending a penny

By John Percy · May 11, 2024

West Bromwich Albion fans call him “King Carlos” and, ahead of the Championship play- offs, he remains the club’s greatest weapon in the quest for promotion.
Carlos Corberan is the meticulous tactician who has performed one of the most underrated jobs outside the Premier League this season, during a period of huge turmoil off the field.
When the nominees for the Championship manager of the season were revealed, he was not on a list that included Kieran McKenna ( Ipswich Town), Liam Rosenior ( sacked by Hull City on Tuesday) and Daniel Farke ( Leeds United). Other notable absentees included Danny Rohl (Sheffield Wednesday) and Marti Cifuentes (Queens Park Rangers).
Corberan’s achievements demand closer inspection. His first was navigating Albion through the storm under former owner Guochaun Lai and now towards a bright future with Shilen Patel.
Corberan did not allow the offfield matters to infiltrate the training base and, as the cash ran out, ensured that the players were fully focused on football.
He now has a close relationship with Patel, the new owner who will be at the Hawthorns for the semifinal first leg against Southampton tomorrow.
The pair are already planning for next season, with a Plan A and Plan B under discussion.
To put Corberan’s work into further context, he is one of only two Championship managers not to spend a penny on transfers this season. Indeed, the coach from the Valencian community of Cheste has not bought any players since his appointment in October 2022.
With the parachute payments from relegation in 2021 expiring last summer, Corberan’s options have been restricted.
Some of the high earners from the Premier League have remained on the books, further tightening the purse strings, so Corberan has had to maximise everything from the players available.
While his work in the transfer market has been limited, there have been success stories.
Take winge r Mikey Johnston, for example. Out of the picture at Celtic, he has performed brilliantly since signing on loan in January, with seven goals and one assist.
Corberan first spotted Johnston playing for the Republic of Ireland in a friendly, alongside Albion midfielder Jayson Molumby. He was then flagged to the recruitment team and eventually signed when Brighton decided to end winger Jeremy Sarmiento’s loan deal.
There is no question that West Brom will be perfectly prepared for the semi-final.
A disciple of former Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa, Corberan’s game is based on explosive highintensity and the intention to always outrun the opposition. There is likely to be a message of “good luck” from his mentor.
“Working with him was a privilege and the experience helped me develop as a coach,” Corberan says. “Before I worked with him, I thought I was ready to be a head coach, but I learnt amazing things, in every area. The fact I can keep this relationship now is a privilege.”
Corberan’s methods demand total engagement from his players. Training sessions are long and detailed.
Meetings are very frequent. Before matches, every player is called into Corberan’s office for an individual 15-minute briefing.
WBA v Southampton
Tomorrow 2.15pm, Sky Sp
Telegraph Sport was fortunate to witness Corberan and his coaching staff up close during a training session in November, and it was absorbing to watch.
It is clear that this famous old club have got under his skin. Before that training session, he made it clear he did not want the article to read like a CV piece as an advert to other clubs.
He lives in Birmingham’s city centre and there was recently a new addition to the family in son Dario.
Now, after a tough 46-game season, comes the pressure of the playoffs. Corberan does have past experience with Huddersfield Town, and those memories will not be fond ones. After guiding the team to a Wembley final in 2022, they lost against Nottingham Forest in a game littered with controversial VAR decisions.
West Brom have lost both league games against Russell Martin’s Southampton this season, with the 2-1 defeat at St Mary’s on Nov 11 a particular frustration.
Yet, with Corberan around, there is always hope. West Brom fans will hope to hail their king a f t e r the final on May 26.

Much appreciated, mate!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2814 on: Yesterday at 04:36:57 PM »
What this manager could do with a finisher.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2815 on: Yesterday at 04:47:05 PM »

Rotten luck with finishers really

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2816 on: Yesterday at 05:10:02 PM »

He inherited most of this team. let's see what he can do with plyers of his own choosing.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2817 on: Yesterday at 05:15:38 PM »
Imperative we let the 30 yr olds on 20k a week go and put whatever we can into a decent striker, even if its a loan from the PL

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2818 on: Yesterday at 06:22:30 PM »
I highly recommend listening to Carlos' post game interview on WBA YouTube

https://youtu.be/k6AIlsDD8HY?si=3q11FTGXMPCxUj2f

It's all good insight but shows the level he's thinking at, in terms of how the team needed to adapt because they played a back five not a back four.

He/him

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2819 on: Yesterday at 07:36:54 PM »
I highly recommend listening to Carlos' post game interview on WBA YouTube

https://youtu.be/k6AIlsDD8HY?si=3q11FTGXMPCxUj2f

It's all good insight but shows the level he's thinking at, in terms of how the team needed to adapt because they played a back five not a back four.

Thanks for sharing. Such a clever guy. Given better players, who knows what he could achieve.