Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718011 times)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #3200 on: June 06, 2019, 08:45:28 AM »
So why have they interviewed Bilic?

Because we always tout "a name" to get the fans imaginations racing. The same when we are after players.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3201 on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:02 AM »
much like politics, everyones laughing at us

Nobody's laughing at us, nobody really cares that much!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3202 on: June 06, 2019, 08:58:29 AM »
Nobody's laughing at us, nobody really cares that much!

I would guess the Dingles and Vile are. I saw the writing was on the wall when we didn't appoint Dean Smith last summer and Vile did.
I said to my mate, we will miss out on auto, Vile will make the play offs and beat us and go up. I wish i wasn't right all the time.
Now two managers we could and should have gone for, Smith and Potter are in the Prem. You watch Neil and Johnson finish above us next season.
You won't see Darren Moore making headlines anytime soon. Learning the game my backside.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3203 on: June 06, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »
I would guess the Dingles and Vile are. I saw the writing was on the wall when we didn't appoint Dean Smith last summer and Vile did.
I said to my mate, we will miss out on auto, Vile will make the play offs and beat us and go up. I wish i wasn't right all the time.
Now two managers we could and should have gone for, Smith and Potter are in the Prem. You watch Neil and Johnson finish above us next season.
You won't see Darren Moore making headlines anytime soon. Learning the game my backside.

tis what i meant to say
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3204 on: June 06, 2019, 10:29:32 AM »
But Jenkins wanted Smith by all accounts - it was lai who wanted and selected DM

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3205 on: June 06, 2019, 10:30:31 AM »
What is becoming more apparent by the day is how utterly clueless the higher ups were,at the time of DM's sacking ! Clearly they had little or no idea of who they wanted or what type of head man they wanted or if they did no idea of how much it was going to cost. 3 months down the line and still apparently using an outdated scattergun is just ridiculous. Clearly people at the top are not fit for footballing purpose and must be replaced with someone with some knowledge of the workings of the industry and not glorified yes men and bean counters !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3206 on: June 06, 2019, 10:36:03 AM »
But Jenkins wanted Smith by all accounts - it was lai who wanted and selected DM
If this were the case then surely any CEO with any moral fibre and confidence in his own ability would have resigned as he is being overruled purely on financial grounds , the very resin for his being at the club !!?

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3207 on: June 06, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »
I actually dont get the panic from some of our fans, the players dont return for another 3 weeks! I'd rather the board take there time as this will be a crucial appointment. I dont see the fuss with Billic, he lost it towards his tenure at West Ham and his record with his latest club was poor to say the least.

I'd like a Bowyer, done a great job with very limited resources at Charlton and with an owner who went AWOL and has little interest in the club.......sounds familiar????

But those 3 weeks could be spent assessing the current squad, finding out which players want to stay/can be kept, which players need to be moved on or don't want to be here, starting the process of speaking to new signings, getting in touch with agents and clubs to see what players are available, speaking to free agents who may be able to improve our current squad.

Granted the senior players wont be here to train, but there is plenty that needs to be done and the longer we go without a manager the harder its going to be for the new guy.

Just hope we all remember that if the results don't start the best and pressure starts to mount on him.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3208 on: June 06, 2019, 10:43:15 AM »
What is becoming more apparent by the day is how utterly clueless the higher ups were,at the time of DM's sacking ! Clearly they had little or no idea of who they wanted or what type of head man they wanted or if they did no idea of how much it was going to cost. 3 months down the line and still apparently using an outdated scattergun is just ridiculous. Clearly people at the top are not fit for footballing purpose and must be replaced with someone with some knowledge of the workings of the industry and not glorified yes men and bean counters !!

I assume by people at the top, you mean the key decision makers?

I believe, they would be the DoF, CEO & The Owner.

We know that the owner has an extremely limited knowledge of English Football, but Jenkins & Dowling have been in & around the game for some time & both will have networked with other English based Owners & Execs. so I'd imagine they would be pretty switched on.
It really depends on who is having the final say in the decision making process.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3209 on: June 06, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »

Villa would have made the play-offs and had a good chance of winning them even if they had stuck with Bruce. Smith would obviously have been a better appointment than Moore but then most working managers would have been. I'm still not remotely bothered that the club didn't go for Smith.

What do Neil and Johnson have to with anything? Was an approach even made for Neil? Johnson is a Bristol City man through and through and has built a team capable of challenging for promotion. Bristol is also hardly a 'small' club, I doubt he'd even leave them at the moment for almost half the sides in the Prem.

As regards Potter, why should the club have gone for him? For finishing mid-table with a just relegated side full of ex-Premier league players? The jury is still very much out on him to say the least.

Jokanovic, Hughton and Pearson are out of work and IMO stronger candidates than any of those mentioned as well. Apart from Pearson how do we even now they would be interested in the job at all? As regards Bilic, he would be OK, but I'm not as enthused about him as I am about the other three.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3210 on: June 06, 2019, 10:49:08 AM »
I'm not sure Jenkins was over-ruled yb Lai and we'd never know unless he confirmed it. Ijust don't see Lai having any input other than at arms length. Last summer we were a huge mess, we had no football director, had got relegated, many players wanted out and DM seemed a safer pair of hands at the time after a late season run. Big parallels with Shan this summer really. This was proven to be short term thinking and 'let's hope for hope for the best' thinking in my opinion. DM was not the best candidate available to get us straight up as was proven.

I''ve got no problem with us being more deliberate this summer. We need a strong , bright (clever) manager who can reinvigorate us and win matches. Ashworth and Peace could spot them and hopefully Dowling has a better idea than Hammond, Burton or Teraneo did. Let's also hope he can convince the others (Jenkins) that they're worth paying for if they're at the more expensive end.

If it were my business and I was detached from emotion, I'd go for Hughton every day as the safest hands.

As a fan , I want someone will get us playing and winning in an attacking way so maybe not Hughton.  Just not sure of Bilic (could be a Pardew again).............

We're certainly talking to every available candidate so if we don't get it right this time, it's a very serious failing of Jenkins and Dowling's decision marking.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3211 on: June 06, 2019, 10:50:05 AM »
If this were the case then surely any CEO with any moral fibre and confidence in his own ability would have resigned as he is being overruled purely on financial grounds , the very resin for his being at the club !!?

Not necessarily, Chinese culture is very "family" driven, after DM's appointment there was a very pronounced "family" theme to the club.
Not sure Graeme Jones "jumping ship" helped DM's cause.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3212 on: June 06, 2019, 11:03:08 AM »
I assume by people at the top, you mean the key decision makers?

I believe, they would be the DoF, CEO & The Owner.

We know that the owner has an extremely limited knowledge of English Football, but Jenkins & Dowling have been in & around the game for some time & both will have networked with other English based Owners & Execs. so I'd imagine they would be pretty switched on.
It really depends on who is having the final say in the decision making process.
Clearly nobody is making positive decisions as we are well passed Dowling's own expected appointment date, not the only time he has made somewhat I'll considered comments !

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3213 on: June 06, 2019, 12:41:02 PM »
I'm bored of the whole saga.

It seems that three months down the line following Moore's sacking, the club are no closer to knowing what they want.

There does not seem to be any particular pattern to the searches and I have no doubts that the Billic/Bowyer lines have been fed out by the club and are not the guesswork of journo's.

The new man should have been in place by now and setting the ground work for our pre-season planning with at least three quarters of an idea towards recruitment.

You have no idea who you will want to sign if you do not have any particular style that you're catering for.

Rubbish.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3214 on: June 06, 2019, 12:45:14 PM »
The passing of more and more time without an appointment being made is what is fuelling much of the frustration. I feel it myself I openly admit. However, not until we finally find out who gets the role can we make a judgement in my opinion. I would like Bilic of the names mentioned. He at least tries to play open attractive football and I recall that his West Ham played very well in the big league. Hughton is a safer pair of hands for sure but I feel we would not like what we saw if he gets the gig.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3215 on: June 06, 2019, 12:48:16 PM »
I'm bored of the whole saga................

Me too, it's got to the point where I don't even bother opening this thread any more.......
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3216 on: June 06, 2019, 12:52:35 PM »
Me too, it's got to the point where I don't even bother opening this thread any more.......

I don't even post on it anymore...

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3217 on: June 06, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
I don't even post on it anymore...

Nor me chap.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3218 on: June 06, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »
I've really reduced how many times a day I check this thread. I have gone from every 2 minutes to every 5 minutes.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3219 on: June 06, 2019, 12:58:58 PM »
I've really reduced how many times a day I check this thread. I have gone from every 2 minutes to every 5 minutes.

Is that it?! Very conservative

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3220 on: June 06, 2019, 01:03:01 PM »
March the 9th this thread was started !
89 days ago ! 

Shambolic !     (The club not the thread)

Mr Lai, must be questioning what his "team" are playing at !  I would not be surprised if heads roll because of this!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3221 on: June 06, 2019, 01:07:21 PM »
And the club site has not mentioned a single thing. Jenkins et al should have put a statement or two on there by now. So spineless as well as clueless it would appear.

When you have hardly any players and a board that doesn't seem to give a flying one, what's left of the club? Us. That's all.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3222 on: June 06, 2019, 01:10:14 PM »
And the club site has not mentioned a single thing. Jenkins et al should have put a statement or two on there by now. So spineless as well as clueless it would appear.

When you have hardly any players and a board that doesn't seem to give a flying one, what's left of the club? Us. That's all.

This is a weird one as last summer it seemed as though the club was getting it's act together regarding keeping fans updated as much as reasonably possible. Now we are back to radio silence.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3223 on: June 06, 2019, 01:11:46 PM »

In fairness to them - its hard to put out a statement if you do not know what you're doing  :D

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3224 on: June 06, 2019, 01:58:23 PM »
The Albion way is to employ at the last minute I think it’s there way of not paying staff during the holiday periods. Penny pinching