2 (6.3%)
Matt Phillips
0 (0%)
Grady Diangana
0 (0%)
Jason Molumby
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: 28 Sept 2021 Cardiff City 0 Albion 4  (Read 28232 times)

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #350 on: September 29, 2021, 05:23:27 PM »
It has to be said that own goal was a bit of a cracker too!
Great day/night out in a very soggy Cardiff
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #351 on: September 29, 2021, 05:33:39 PM »
I think I'm in a significant minority for thinking that the level of performance and style of play last night was very similar to the QPR game, rather than it being chalk and cheese like many are saying. We had 18 shots against QPR with 5 against, whilst we had 11 shots last night with 6 against. It also wasn't kick and rush in the QPR game.

I would say the main differences between last night and Friday were the excellent shooting for 2 of the goals and a display from Cardiff that was comfortably the worst I've seen all season. We were also trying to play it out from the back a la Graeme Jones, but didn't look any more comfortable or safe doing it last night than we did when Jones was here. I can only assume we were trying to draw Cardiff out and then play through them quickly as per normal.

Just as an aside, does anyone know why Snodgrass wasn't on the bench?

Valerien deserves all the accolades going for the club's record start to a season and I hope everyone will get behind him now, although as soon as we lose a game I'm sure some doubters will emerge again.

Thank goodness, Worcs - I thought it was just me, beginning to feel paranoid !!
I totally agree with your post, nothing more to say. Suffice it to say, that like others
I thought Cardiff were without doubt awful, on the other hand most on here underrated QPR, before and after the game. I expect QPR to be in the top 6.
I will be very interested to see how the luvvies get on against Swansea tonight!?

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #352 on: September 29, 2021, 05:58:13 PM »
Agree, characters like Mick are few and far between in football these days. He's a decent bloke, and like you say a 'football' man.

I like Mick and, the same as you, have touch of sympathy for him.

I also feel a little sorry for Mick McCarthy in spite of his Ding1e5 connection. In the early 1980’s we spent a holiday in Santo Tomas, Menorca where we had visited several times previously in June each year.

The barman at the  Hamilton Court apartments who we had got to know always arranged a footy game  against the local town team Es Migjorn Gran at their stadium.

That year we were with a Round Table friend of ours - Peter Fox who played in goal for Stoke City over 400 times. Also staying there was Mick McCarthy, Ernie Moss and Denis ? who was an ex pro with Villa and at the time, one of their coaches - so four pro’s!

Es Migjorn usually beat the tourist team every year but that year we beat them
7-1.
I went in goal second half so Pete Fox could have a run outfield and I saved a penalty! Foxy let their goal in and I had a clean sheet! 

Mick seemed a great guy and good company as we partied that evening celebrating our win so that’s why I feel a degree of pity for his current situation.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 06:00:22 PM by TheBaggieMan »
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #353 on: September 29, 2021, 06:03:20 PM »
Using the above source, I found it interesting to compare Furlong's passing accuracy (48%) with Reach's (82%). Also Reach played 3 key passes compared to Furlong's none. Reach actually had the highest accuracy in the team, followed by Townsend (78%). Everyone else was below 70% and Furlong's was the worst.

Reach players a lot of simple passes and does his best to avoid physical contact with other players. It’s weird when you spot it. 

He did have a good game though but I think this is going to make his accuracy higher than furlong, who will try and beat a man and often passes under more pressure.

Even so, under 50% is poor considering I assume crosses (and perhaps clearances) are recorded differently?

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #354 on: September 29, 2021, 06:11:36 PM »
I think I'm in a significant minority for thinking that the level of performance and style of play last night was very similar to the QPR game, rather than it being chalk and cheese like many are saying. We had 18 shots against QPR with 5 against, whilst we had 11 shots last night with 6 against. It also wasn't kick and rush in the QPR game.

Valerien deserves all the accolades going for the club's record start to a season and I hope everyone will get behind him now, although as soon as we lose a game I'm sure some doubters will emerge again.

Like wbastrollers I join your minority, we were endeavouring to play it more on the ground against QPR but 1) they are simply streets ahead of Cardiff and 2) we are, we hope, improving game by game.
QPR beat B'ham City yesterday evening and are in 8th position - Cardiff 16th.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #355 on: September 29, 2021, 10:55:53 PM »
I think it might be a case of “if it’s not on, keep possession and work an opening” much as it irks me to say it the scousers are masters of this
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #356 on: September 30, 2021, 01:12:40 PM »
If you're a fan of those stats then you must love the fact that out of the 6 passing accuracy stats Jake's ahead on 5 of them vs Mowatt!

Those stats put Mowatt as our best player and Jake as our worst, and of course cannot be said to have an agenda.

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #357 on: September 30, 2021, 03:09:43 PM »
It has to be said that own goal was a bit of a cracker too!

Really excellent own goal! Choas, wrong players in the wrong place, sliced clearance straight in - all the quality hallmarks of a true blue OG. Glad we're not scoring those this season yet  ;D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #358 on: September 30, 2021, 03:30:36 PM »
Those stats put Mowatt as our best player and Jake as our worst, and of course cannot be said to have an agenda.

Yes, but you constantly moan about Jake's passing, but it's not as bad as you say if he's more accurate than other players.  I've not yet seen you moan about Mowatt's passing.  I'd say it's fair enough to say Jake isn't as effective or involved as much as Mowatt, etc, but the stats that you're so happy about show that Jake's passing isn't as bad as you constantly say.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #359 on: September 30, 2021, 03:56:06 PM »
Yes, but you constantly moan about Jake's passing, but it's not as bad as you say if he's more accurate than other players.  I've not yet seen you moan about Mowatt's passing.  I'd say it's fair enough to say Jake isn't as effective or involved as much as Mowatt, etc, but the stats that you're so happy about show that Jake's passing isn't as bad as you constantly say.

You have overlooked that I moaning about Jake not passing the ball into feet, accurately and constantly playing the ball behind players or not into their advancing path, onto their week foot or overhit, to force them to stop, u-turn and go back to keep the ball. Of course, they still count on a stat-sheet as successful passes. The reason I haven't moaned large about Mowatt's passing is that I'm not blind and can my use my eyes to deduce that his passing is far better than Jake's - that should self-evident and not controversial. A prime example being the first time ball to Robinson on the opening day at Bournemouth when he equalised. That was on Mowatt's debut and better than any ball that Livermore has managed in his 151 games for us so far.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #360 on: September 30, 2021, 08:03:09 PM »
Ahh good old Mick McCarthy can't beat Albion, 10 unbeaten new record for us UTA.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Man of the Match vs Cardiff
« Reply #361 on: September 30, 2021, 08:06:16 PM »
Callum Robinson for me though Adam Reach was a shout, but Robinson linked up well and looking very good tore Cardiff apart and was looking Dangerous
Albion Pride Of The Black Country