Author Topic: VAR watch (For WBA)  (Read 26746 times)

Webby

• Senior Baggie

Re: VAR watch (For WBA)
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2020, 01:04:44 PM »
Bilic should have made all of our players leave the field of play after Pereira's red card.

It was time we made a stand against this level of corruptness.

It has gone way, way, way over the top.

The Premier League doesn't have one iota of respect for WBA as a top flight outfit.

I thought he should have too, problem is we are not a fancy club with a lot of popularity and would have the book thrown at us. If Man Utd or Liverpool did it then it would be a different story
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2020, 01:05:33 PM »
I've already left the Premier League, don't watch it at all. Not leaving the forum though, as it's the only proper connection I have with my club at present and don't want to lose that.

I never, ever thought I would hear myself say this but I want us to go down, and, if the choice is coming back up or going down to League 1, I choose League 1. That's how much I despise this cesspit we find ourselves in.

Exactly the same. Turned off after the red card yesterday and will no longer watch us at all this year nor even bother to keep up with results.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2020, 01:27:52 PM »
I watch our games because it's my club that is it.

The Premier League is bent, non competitive (baring the same few for decades, yawn) and over hyped and nauseating.

Apart from us I dont care a stuff about the rest if it. The lower leagues are better. Not in terms of quality of football but definitely in terms of absolutely everything else.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2020, 07:20:37 PM »
Rugby have got it right with video official at the ground, why the hell does ref operating var need to be miles away. He should be in booth at ground so he can get a feel for the game.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2020, 07:28:34 PM »
Have said this all along . He has no sense of intensity or pace of the game sat in a concrete box . It just makes the rules and the game sterile with no human element involved. Also using the Rugby example you get to hear as well see what they are reviewing as well as suggested course of action
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2020, 08:45:38 AM »
I know this an Albion thread, but the other Albion got done last night

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2020, 01:08:19 PM »
Interesting that both managers came out and said they see nothing wrong with the decisions - despite them both being CLEARLY controversial.  I wonder if managers are under orders to not criticise any use of VAR.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2020, 03:11:09 PM »
When it first was suggested, I thought that it would help the "lesser" clubs against the bully boys.
It seems that it is more anti "lesser".

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2020, 04:32:39 PM »
When it first was suggested, I thought that it would help the "lesser" clubs against the bully boys.
It seems that it is more anti "lesser".

I thought similar about Financial Fair Play, wrong again  :o
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2020, 06:53:58 PM »
VAR is here to stay, in which case and in my view, as in Rugby, the audio analysis  of those making the decisions should be shared with the TV audience and fans in the ground, that might focus a few minds and explain their thought process when arriving at a decisions
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2020, 07:00:16 PM »
VAR is here to stay, in which case and in my view, as in Rugby, the audio analysis  of those making the decisions should be shared with the TV audience and fans in the ground, that might focus a few minds and explain their thought process when arriving at a decisions
Too much common sense, Colin.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2020, 07:27:44 PM »
I would like to see something similar to the third umpire system in cricket. Each team might have a set number of referrals against a decision made on the field. VAR is then called to adjudicate and the referees decision either stands or is overturned. If inconclusive then original decision stands. The ref should not be allowed to change his decision once made unless told to do so according to conclusive evidence seen by the VAR.

The VAR keeps his interfering nose out unless asked to adjudicate. I would also advocate a representative of both clubs, and a neutral sitting in with the VAR to review video evidence. This might help reduce the possibility of accusations of bias directed at VARs such as Oliver, Friend and co. But I don't think it would completely eradicate their incompetence or inability to see the wider implications of any particular passage of play, especially if it gave a crucial or match winning advantage to WBA.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2020, 08:14:13 PM »

These are the same officials who cover their face when the consult with each on the pitch so people can't try and lip read what was said.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2020, 11:50:48 PM »
Why can't we go back to the good old days when every one new the man in the middle as the w----r in the black. These ref's think their fooooking superstars, look at the moron who judges the officiating  of weekend games on Mondays for Sky they take he's word as gospel. He was a PRAT when he wore black.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2020, 05:50:30 PM »
I’ve said all along that VAR should only be used for the really obviously incorrect decisions or where the rule is black and white (e.g. whether the ball has gone over the line).

What he annoyed me recently are these decisions that even the VAR ref can’t decide, so is giving the on-pitch ref another chance to look at it and change his mind. This for me goes against the spirit of what VAR was brought in for and plants the seed of doubt in the ref’s mind. I’d like to see how many decisions have been overturned after the ref’s had another look on the screen by the pitch.

I think they should be using VAR like they do in cricket, where if it isn’t clear after VAR have had a look, then it defaults to the ref’s original decision. Get rid of the screen next to the pitch and get back to only using VAR for obvious incorrect decisions.

On a side note, not that it would have helped us at all, but in today’s game there was an incident where the ball clearly hit a Newcastle defender’s arm on the edge of the box. I thought any contact with the arm was now a handball, yet this wasn’t given. Also, I thought that it looked like Ivanovic did slightly kick out at the Newcastle player when they tussled on the floor, but this seemed to be checked and decided in a couple of seconds. Certainly nothing like the show that took place last week with Pereira where they seemed to check forever and then give the ref a chance to have another look again.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2020, 05:51:53 PM »
I’ve said all along that VAR should only be used for the really obviously incorrect decisions or where the rule is black and white (e.g. whether the ball has gone over the line).

What he annoyed me recently are these decisions that even the VAR ref can’t decide, so is giving the on-pitch ref another chance to look at it and change his mind. This for me goes against the spirit of what VAR was brought in for and plants the seed of doubt in the ref’s mind. I’d like to see how many decisions have been overturned after the ref’s had another look on the screen by the pitch.

I think they should be using VAR like they do in cricket, where if it isn’t clear after VAR have had a look, then it defaults to the ref’s original decision. Get rid of the screen next to the pitch and get back to only using VAR for obvious incorrect decisions.

On a side note, not that it would have helped us at all, but in today’s game there was an incident where the ball clearly hit a Newcastle defender’s arm on the edge of the box. I thought any contact with the arm was now a handball, yet this wasn’t given. Also, I thought that it looked like Ivanovic did slightly kick out at the Newcastle player when they tussled on the floor, but this seemed to be checked and decided in a couple of seconds. Certainly nothing like the show that took place last week with Pereira where they seemed to check forever and then give the ref a chance to have another look again.

Shows the massive inconsistencies with it, if one is a red then both are, fact is neither were.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2020, 06:17:24 PM »
Shows the massive inconsistencies with it, if one is a red then both are, fact is neither were.

Yep totally agree. Seemed the one last week they looked for any reason possible to get Pereira sent off, whereas today they took about 5 seconds to decide no further action was needed. All seems to be down to the individual refs again.

bakebaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2020, 05:16:51 PM »
Bias on display big time in today’s Liverpool/Fulham match. Firmino made a tackle in the box and clearly got all man and no ball. Our favorite ref Andre Mariner was summoned and after giving it a look decided no penalty. Unbelievable.
It’s gotta go!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2020, 05:17:49 PM »
I thought it was a great tackle myself and would have said no penalty

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2020, 05:40:43 PM »
I thought it was a great tackle myself and would have said no penalty

I agree, it was an unbelievably great tackle by Firmino, the timing of which was to perfection in my opinion
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2020, 06:30:44 PM »
Bias on display big time in today’s Liverpool/Fulham match. Firmino made a tackle in the box and clearly got all man and no ball. Our favorite ref Andre Mariner was summoned and after giving it a look decided no penalty. Unbelievable.
It’s gotta go!

I thought it was a valid tackle, but Mariner chose to miss the push on the Liverpool player & the 4 players offside for the Fulham goal.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2020, 06:57:11 PM »
I  thought it was a stonewall penno. He took his standing foot clean from under him. Had to be a penalty.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2020, 08:38:13 PM »
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why VAR doesn’t work. I haven’t seen the situation, but others here have. In slo-mo. And they’re divided!! At about the tenth of the speed the ref saw it. If you guys can’t sort it out, how do we expect a jury to sort it out. Give the power back to the judge. They love the attention. And at least we know who made the decision.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:31:56 PM by costa blanca baggie »
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2020, 08:44:29 PM »
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why VAR doesn’t work. I haven’t seen the situation, but others here have. In slo-mo. And they’re divided!! At about the tenth of the speed the ref saw it. If you guys can’t sort it out, how do we expect a jury to sort it out. Give the power back to the judge. They love the attention. And at least we knew made the decision.

Good point Costa, very good point. From my limited experience of VAR it's awful. I think i'd rather we just got rid of it or keep it for offsides only but with a more sensible version of what is or isnt offside.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2020, 06:25:10 AM »
After Burnley's unexpected win at Arsenal / Fulham's draw v Liverpool, its now looking like we need every one of those points took off us from VAR.

With Man City and Liverpool in the next two, Burnley's impending takeover, and our Owner sitting on his hands, I'll make the bold statement that I think WBA and Sheff Utd will definitely be relegated.