Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640316 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #725 on: April 04, 2016, 09:19:47 PM »
Who scored ? Was someone else sent off as well as McManaman ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #726 on: April 04, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »
We just beat Villa 1-0

We had 9 men for a fair while (15 mins approx)

8) :P :-*

Brilliant  ;D

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #727 on: April 04, 2016, 09:23:48 PM »
Who scored ? Was someone else sent off as well as McManaman ?

Samir Nabi scored and Callum Jones was sent off for a 2nd bookedable, as was McManaman
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #728 on: April 04, 2016, 09:29:29 PM »
9 men, we only need nine men  :P
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #729 on: April 05, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »
Under the kosh for a lot of that game and sat quiet deep. That Traore looks a really good player, beats his man easily with pace and skill, end product not always the best but will only get better.

Pritchard was decent for us, as was Leko.  Centre half Donnellan had a good game.

We did well to hang on with 9 men for 15 minutes after a stupid dive from Mcmanaman and a rash tackle when on a yellow from Jones.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #730 on: April 05, 2016, 09:47:19 AM »
Under the kosh for a lot of that game and sat quiet deep. That Traore looks a really good player, beats his man easily with pace and skill, end product not always the best but will only get better.

Pritchard was decent for us, as was Leko.  Centre half Donnellan had a good game.

We did well to hang on with 9 men for 15 minutes after a stupid dive from Mcmanaman and a rash tackle when on a yellow from Jones.

Pritchard show enough to be getting more game time than he currently is?

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #731 on: April 05, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »
Pritchard show enough to be getting more game time than he currently is?

I certainly think so, he looks very good on the ball. Positive, wants to drive it up the pitch, and given his size has a bit about him.

He got subbed off with 5 to go and was visibly angry, Big Dave had to calm him down.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #732 on: April 05, 2016, 10:21:42 AM »
didnt realise the seals are second in the league, big scalpe then :)
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #733 on: April 05, 2016, 10:39:10 AM »
Samir Nabi sounds keen to get out on loan...lets hope that he gets some interest. As we know Adil didn't get a loan until the India move.
Might Samir get a taste of prem action before the end of the season as Pulis mentioned that one or two others would be getting a taste ?

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #734 on: April 05, 2016, 11:06:23 AM »
Samir Nabi sounds keen to get out on loan...lets hope that he gets some interest. As we know Adil didn't get a loan until the India move.
Might Samir get a taste of prem action before the end of the season as Pulis mentioned that one or two others would be getting a taste ?

Based on last night, I'm not sure.

Went to an evening hosted by Big Dave not so long back , and he was clear that there are 3 talented players that will come through, the rest, well, not sure at all. He mentioned Tyler Roberts and Leko, but said he was keeping the third one quiet. Could be Donnellan the centre half

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #735 on: April 05, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »
I certainly think so, he looks very good on the ball. Positive, wants to drive it up the pitch, and given his size has a bit about him.

He got subbed off with 5 to go and was visibly angry, Big Dave had to calm him down.

I thought he looked lively and technically good.
However, as I have stated on the C M'n thread, I don't think Pritchard releases the ball quick enough either.

Missed a great chance when he had time to pick his spot, and although it shouldn't be the be all and end all given his good technique, he even looked light weight amongst the U21's.
Still, could be worth a shout, especially given any potential fall outs with Sess' and C M'ns clear lack of fitness.

Leko looks good and tricky but currently over elaborates, I'd hope this will change a little with experience. Think he's got a decent future ahead of him though especially once he's filled out a bit. As for those jinking twists and turns, daft as it may sound he may benefit from slightly longer studs.

Agree regarding Traore for them, looks to be very decent.
Think their number 8 was very lucky to stay on the pitch and I also thought the ref' was inconsistent and generally rather sh!te.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #736 on: April 05, 2016, 01:53:50 PM »
I thought he looked lively and technically good.
However, as I have stated on the C M'n thread, I don't think Pritchard releases the ball quick enough either.

Missed a great chance when he had time to pick his spot, and although it shouldn't be the be all and end all given his good technique, he even looked light weight amongst the U21's.
Still, could be worth a shout, especially given any potential fall outs with Sess' and C M'ns clear lack of fitness.

Leko looks good and tricky but currently over elaborates, I'd hope this will change a little with experience. Think he's got a decent future ahead of him though especially once he's filled out a bit. As for those jinking twists and turns, daft as it may sound he may benefit from slightly longer studs.

Agree regarding Traore for them, looks to be very decent.
Think their number 8 was very lucky to stay on the pitch and I also thought the ref' was inconsistent and generally rather sh!te.

Agreed, Villa were in his ear for most of the game

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #737 on: April 13, 2016, 08:25:37 AM »
I didn't realise this but Sam Field and Tyler Roberts were in the squad that was taken to Man City. We've heard a fair bit about Roberts but not Field. Is he a central midfielder? On mobile so can't link but there's an article about him on the official site
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:04:15 AM by MarkW »

He/him

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #738 on: April 18, 2016, 09:08:50 PM »
beaten an Arsenal team containing Jack Wilshire and Serge Gnabry 2-1 with a young team, but have missed the play offs as Blackburn drew with Villa 2-2 to get the last spot.

Beefy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #739 on: April 24, 2016, 11:04:16 PM »
Sorry not sure where to post this but at last some good news  :P

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/827362960?-11200:789:0

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #740 on: April 25, 2016, 07:53:07 AM »
The newsnow link directs to here, in case people wondered

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/24/chelsea-and-man-city-target-jonathan-leko-signs-new-west-brom-co/?

West Bromwich Albion have secured a major boost for the future by persuading England under-17 international Jonathan Leko to sign a new contract, in a blow to Chelsea and Manchester City.

Leko will officially sign his first professional deal in July, after turning 17 on Sunday, with West Brom determined to prevent another talented teenager from leaving the Hawthorns.

Albion have suffered huge frustration with Premier League clubs poaching their young talents in recent years, after the departure of Isaiah Brown to Chelsea and Jerome Sinclair to Liverpool.

But Leko has agreed a three-year deal and is being tipped to become a bigger star than Saido Berahino, with his reputation already known to the liks of Chelsea, City and Liverpool. Leko made his Premier League debut aged 16 years, 11 months and nine days old in the game at Sunderland earlier this month.

The teenager could even play some part against title-chasing Tottenham Hotspur on Monday evening, with head coach Tony Pulis predicting a bright future for the Congo-born forward.

Pulis, meanwhile, is stepping up his preparations for next season after holding talks with chairman Jeremy Peace.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport, West Brom plan to offer Pulis a new contract in the summer after he guided the club to survival two seasons running. Pulis will have 12 months left on his deal in July.

He said: “I have spoken to the chairman about certain things, about the football club, the training ground and other things.

“That’s what you have to do. You have to try to put foundations down to make the football club better and there are lots of things that we would like to put in place that would help the club push forward.

“The main thing is you need to win games. You need results to keep your job, and if you can do that and give yourself time then you can put things in place that will improve football clubs."

Probable team: Foster; Dawson, McAuley, Evans, Chester; Sessegnon, Fletcher, Yacob, McClean; Rondon, Berahino

He/him

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #741 on: April 25, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
The newsnow link directs to here, in case people wondered

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/24/chelsea-and-man-city-target-jonathan-leko-signs-new-west-brom-co/?

West Bromwich Albion have secured a major boost for the future by persuading England under-17 international Jonathan Leko to sign a new contract, in a blow to Chelsea and Manchester City.

Leko will officially sign his first professional deal in July, after turning 17 on Sunday, with West Brom determined to prevent another talented teenager from leaving the Hawthorns.

Albion have suffered huge frustration with Premier League clubs poaching their young talents in recent years, after the departure of Isaiah Brown to Chelsea and Jerome Sinclair to Liverpool.

But Leko has agreed a three-year deal and is being tipped to become a bigger star than Saido Berahino, with his reputation already known to the liks of Chelsea, City and Liverpool. Leko made his Premier League debut aged 16 years, 11 months and nine days old in the game at Sunderland earlier this month.

The teenager could even play some part against title-chasing Tottenham Hotspur on Monday evening, with head coach Tony Pulis predicting a bright future for the Congo-born forward.

Pulis, meanwhile, is stepping up his preparations for next season after holding talks with chairman Jeremy Peace.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport, West Brom plan to offer Pulis a new contract in the summer after he guided the club to survival two seasons running. Pulis will have 12 months left on his deal in July.

He said: “I have spoken to the chairman about certain things, about the football club, the training ground and other things.

“That’s what you have to do. You have to try to put foundations down to make the football club better and there are lots of things that we would like to put in place that would help the club push forward.

“The main thing is you need to win games. You need results to keep your job, and if you can do that and give yourself time then you can put things in place that will improve football clubs."

Probable team: Foster; Dawson, McAuley, Evans, Chester; Sessegnon, Fletcher, Yacob, McClean; Rondon, Berahino

I did post a while ago that he had already agreed a pro contract, same with Tyler Roberts he has got a pro contract too ready to be confirmed.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #742 on: June 10, 2016, 10:29:59 PM »
does anyone think its a mistake to release u21 top scorer Samir Nabi. 11 years at the club aged 19.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #743 on: June 10, 2016, 10:35:29 PM »
does anyone think its a mistake to release u21 top scorer Samir Nabi. 11 years at the club aged 19.
Seems one of the better players?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #744 on: June 10, 2016, 11:20:21 PM »
Seems one of the better players?
Is this confirmed ? If so it may be a side effect of Pulis wanting players to be pushing through younger and if they are not then off they go.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #745 on: June 11, 2016, 12:15:48 AM »
Is this confirmed ? If so it may be a side effect of Pulis wanting players to be pushing through younger and if they are not then off they go.
yep

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/youngster-departs-the-hawthorns-3140518.aspx

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #746 on: June 11, 2016, 11:15:52 AM »
yep

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/youngster-departs-the-hawthorns-3140518.aspx
Thanks - the weird thing is that the name Nabi seems to have dominated the scoring for the age groups over the last 2 or 3 years and now 2 of them have gone without kicking a ball in the 1st team.
I sense a re-focus in the academy....which may be good as long as we continue to see the best getting their chance. We have to trust the judgement of those making decisions.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #747 on: June 12, 2016, 12:57:53 PM »
jamie Smith has been promoted to replace Aaron Danks as under 18 coach.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #748 on: June 12, 2016, 08:34:20 PM »
I see the FA have raided us again for Danks

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #749 on: June 12, 2016, 08:52:49 PM »
I see the FA have raided us again for Danks

Yeah, that's 3 now.... Ashworth was the biggest loss.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input