Author Topic: OFFICIAL LEAGUE 1 and LEAGUE 2 THREAD  (Read 121491 times)

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL LEAGUE 1 and LEAGUE 2 THREAD
« Reply #350 on: August 27, 2019, 06:00:06 PM »
still no confirmation as of yet from EFL or the two clubs, but it's not looking good for either Bolton or Bury this evening with both staring down the barrel.

Jim White's coverage on sky sports news for this has been a disgrace as well today. Standing in front of a massive timer with the two club logo's on it as if it were transfer deadling day - utter ****
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:24:03 PM by Dan87uk »
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #351 on: August 27, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
still no confirmation as of yet from EFL or the two clubs, but it's not looking good for either bolton or Bury this evening with both staring down the barrel.

Jim White's coverage on sky sports news for this has been a disgrace as well today. Standing in front of a massive timer with the two club logo's on it as if it were transfer deadling day - utter ****

Yes Dan87uk. Morally wrong Sky have lots of money could have saved both teams. But to be fair they are under no obligation to save either.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #352 on: August 27, 2019, 06:32:39 PM »
I am aware that there cannot be direct ownership, but I am sure that a way can be found where Bury can be 'assisted' by a bigger club

In fairness, you did say you thought a club like united could come and take ownership, which suggested you weren’t aware.

In general I don’t think any of the broadcasters or any specific clubs should help. It’s not their responsibility. City have given bury a training ground and they only needed to keep it tidy and they couldn’t manage that.

Feel for the fans, but I’m sure United and City will help the next generation of fan in the area by targeting the catchment area further for their own support.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:36:11 PM by johnny Cash »

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #353 on: August 27, 2019, 07:12:15 PM »
still no confirmation as of yet from EFL or the two clubs, but it's not looking good for either Bolton or Bury this evening with both staring down the barrel.

I am afraid Jim White is a ‘lick spittler’  Any one noticed how often he pushes West Ham on his show on Talk Sport , as long as he gets his free afternoon in a corporate box he is anybody’s .

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #354 on: August 27, 2019, 07:26:05 PM »
I do feel sorry for the fans a little bit but I think this is needed to hit home the reality that if you spend more than you bring in then this is the risk you run.

In my opinion FFP doesn't go far enough. There shouldn't just be a profitability test alone and would be much for effective with a second cash flow test. There are plenty of profitable businesses who go into liquidation due to cash flow problems.

FFP should be far stricter in my opinion in the amount it allows owners to fund businesses which should be linked to a small multiple of prior three years cash revenues.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:28:13 PM by jamesh_91 »

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #355 on: August 27, 2019, 07:33:03 PM »
I would be interested to know who actually owns the ground/freehold of the ground. Should the worst come to the worst then these 2 p!it's of land will be worth a small fortune as building land !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #356 on: August 27, 2019, 08:02:13 PM »
Gutted for the fans of both clubs. I can’t imagine how it would feel if it was us.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #357 on: August 27, 2019, 08:32:13 PM »
This gives a bit of background on Bury

http://backpagefootball.com/a-timeline-of-events-at-bury-fc/121639/

I am not sure that anyone has run the club well in 20 years but the current ownership seem to be the bottom of the barrel. It seems that either owners are well intended but without a sustainable model they get tired of the losses or they are complete charlatans like Day or Dale. 

Update Bury have been expelled from the league following the collapse of the takeover. The plain truth is sadly this could not go on forever.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:18:00 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #358 on: August 27, 2019, 11:44:47 PM »
A sad sad day for football. How many clubs does it take to go under to realise how messed up the game truly is. My heart goes out to bury fans tonight. There’s every chance Bolton may survive but that will drag on a little longer until we officially know.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #359 on: August 27, 2019, 11:46:17 PM »
Gutted for the fans of both clubs. I can’t imagine how it would feel if it was us.
Bit of warning for lots of football clubs. And also to those fans, and maybe we are all sometimes guilty, who talk as if the club has unlimited funds at its disposal.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #360 on: August 28, 2019, 08:31:56 AM »
I am gutted as Gigg Lane was one of my most memorable nights as a baggie (for all the wrong reasons)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #361 on: August 28, 2019, 11:08:15 AM »
The ones who suffer are the fans.
btw. How many games did they play?

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #362 on: August 28, 2019, 11:34:10 AM »
Perhaps its time for there to be a North and South lower leagues like there used to be. Cutting costs for these clubs.

Id also reintroduce 50/50 attendance splits home and away to ensure that there is a weekly cashflow for the clubs in those leagues.

I think this isnt the last time we will see this happening though, im willing to bet there are quite a few clubs very close to the edge right now.

Its why im glad we havent pushed the boat out as much financially for players like Dwight Gayle.....promotion back to the Prem does give you huge financial incentives but at the same time your operating costs go up.

Survival of the club for its fans and its community is more important.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #363 on: August 28, 2019, 12:44:19 PM »
I am gutted as Gigg Lane was one of my most memorable nights as a baggie (for all the wrong reasons)
Losing 1-0 In the fog ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #364 on: August 28, 2019, 12:53:48 PM »
Losing 1-0 In the fog ?

I was there too. An unusually poor performance from us (from what I could see) followed by a death defying journey back down the M6, Happy Days!

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #365 on: August 28, 2019, 12:54:49 PM »
Losing 1-0 In the fog ?
Freezing fog. The coldest I’ve ever been at a game.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #366 on: August 28, 2019, 02:18:24 PM »
Losing 1-0 In the fog ?

Yup, thats the one, a long time ago !
I won't bore you with the tale but suffice to say its etched on my memory
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #367 on: August 28, 2019, 07:21:27 PM »
Bolton saved!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #369 on: December 18, 2019, 03:29:50 PM »
Bury AFC have been formed and have applied to join the North West Counties Football League next season.

Bury FC aren’t going under as the debts have been paid.

Theoretically that could mean TWO Bury football clubs when, at one point, there may have been none.

Good news for Bury FC, I wonder if there will be a merger?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #370 on: December 18, 2019, 04:36:53 PM »
I was there too. An unusually poor performance from us (from what I could see) followed by a death defying journey back down the M6, Happy Days!

I went to that one as well, never saw their goal, went on the Global double decker, horrible journey there and back, bitterly cold
Baggie in Southampton

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #371 on: May 08, 2020, 10:45:30 AM »
With the EFL close to announcing promotion and relegation based on PPG, and with Macclesfield getting a points deduction that puts them into the relegation zone, it looks like 2 sides will come up from the National league after all. Depending on what discussions take place in the national league, that could mean the new Football league will welcome Barrow (first time since 1972) and Harrogate Town (firs time ever).

Barrow provides a nice boost to Cumbrian sport and a flash back to the 60’s where they once challenging for promotion to what is now the Championship, however the most remarkable promotion with be Harrogate, a club who in the 1980’s were playing in regional football (at a level on a par with Tipton Town) and in the last few years have been battling with clubs like Hednesford and Telford in the 7th tier.
Boing Boing

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #372 on: May 08, 2020, 02:27:43 PM »
With the EFL close to announcing promotion and relegation based on PPG, and with Macclesfield getting a points deduction that puts them into the relegation zone, it looks like 2 sides will come up from the National league after all. Depending on what discussions take place in the national league, that could mean the new Football league will welcome Barrow (first time since 1972) and Harrogate Town (firs time ever).

Barrow provides a nice boost to Cumbrian sport and a flash back to the 60’s where they once challenging for promotion to what is now the Championship, however the most remarkable promotion with be Harrogate, a club who in the 1980’s were playing in regional football (at a level on a par with Tipton Town) and in the last few years have been battling with clubs like Hednesford and Telford in the 7th tier.
Watched Harrogate vs Pompey on the tv ...cup match so obviously they would have upped their game, but they play some really good football.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #373 on: May 15, 2020, 03:36:42 PM »
League 2 have agreed in principle to end the season using weighted PPG, with automatic promotion decided and play-offs to be played bcd. Despite 20 of 24 voting down relegation it seems unlikely the FA will sanction this. Barrow, Harrogate and Notts County among others would have a strong legal case in this instance. The division has some wiggle room because of Bury.

League 1 could not reach agreement.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 03:42:04 PM by TheJacko2000 »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #374 on: May 15, 2020, 03:40:54 PM »
surprised they've gone for play offs. I'd have thought a straight 4 up would have made more sense. No need for any games to be played.